The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Some pretty terrible posts here frankly. If a lot of women have been impacted by this, I’d say it’s because they have a very real, lived experience of beings subjected to the threat of sexual abuse, violence and assault. Perhaps they feel affected by this because they do have this exact fear when they walk at night. Sarah could have been any one of them. Frankly a bunch of middle class men telling them they were at Clapham just to get some Insta stories is, well, pretty fecking pathetic.

I get the concerns around the fact we’re still in a pandemic (even if the risks of transmission outdoors has been shown to be low, but that’s besides the point). This is why the police should have worked with the organisers to ensure things were managed appropriately instead of allowing the inevitable to happen.
No, no, no, no, no. They all did it for the 'Gram, don't you know.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
During a pandemic.

Bit of a bang of the Princess Diana funeral off all of this.

You’re in absolute bits about a complete stranger. Wise up! Save it for the death of someone you’ve actually met.
When Sir Alex finally passes I’m pretty sure I’ll shed a tear or two despite never having met him.

It’s weird to only confine feelings to the people you’ve met.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Some pretty terrible posts here frankly. If a lot of women have been impacted by this, I’d say it’s because they have a very real, lived experience of beings subjected to the threat of sexual abuse, violence and assault. Perhaps they feel affected by this because they do have this exact fear when they walk at night. Sarah could have been any one of them. Frankly a bunch of middle class men telling them they were at Clapham just to get some Insta stories is, well, pretty fecking pathetic.

I get the concerns around the fact we’re still in a pandemic (even if the risks of transmission outdoors has been shown to be low, but that’s besides the point). This is why the police should have worked with the organisers to ensure things were managed appropriately instead of allowing the inevitable to happen.
Absolutely, well said.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When Sir Alex finally passes I’m pretty sure I’ll shed a tear or two despite never having met him.

It’s weird to only confine feelings to the people you’ve met.
There’s having feelings and there’s having feelings so strong you have to gather in crowds on the street to grieve in public. About someone you had literally never heard of one week ago.

hobbers

There’s having feelings and there’s having feelings so strong you have to gather in crowds on the street to grieve in public. About someone you had literally never heard of one week ago.
And doing so with your phone out, recording it all for "posterity" presumably.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it's a mix of things though. I'm not convinced many people would have turned up to this vigil, or even if there would have been one planned to such a scale, if there weren't restrictions on having them.

Classic case of people always want to do what they aren't allowed to do.

I feel sorry for the genuine folk caught up in all of this last night. @Leroy The Red has summed things up pretty well and @oates has given some balance as to how the wider public feel about gatherings. It was difficult for the police last night but I do think they should have been wiser with how they approached it from above. That said none of us know what was discussed at that level as it was clear the government didn't authorise it to go ahead.

Classical Mechanic

The hysteria over one woman out of tens of thousands of protester/mourners being cuffed under mild-moderate restraint has amazed me. Even Priti Patel seems to be a bit upset about it!

Wolverine

Like the BLM protests though I do feel that its not just this lady's death per se but its an accumulation of pent up frustration from day-to-day misogyny that women are experiencing in terms of cat-calling, weirdos staring, harassment, feeling unsafe on the tube or walking out at night that has rightly or wrongly been brought to the surface in terms of polemics via this tragedy. Whether the event is directly linked who knows, but I think its right to say that there probably is a link between cultural misogyny and gender-based violence.

And if something good can come by way of legislation, cultural shifts, societal mindset shifts then its a good thing. I think its probably good that there is a national conversation about it, even if it is hyperbolic in certain mediums.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Very important they chime in and tell us what’s what. Lest we go more than 5 minutes without the blistering authoritative knowitallism of a cynical middle aged man.

buchansleftleg

I'm appalled at some of the posts in this thread. In years of membership of this site I've only ever blocked one person until now.

I'm not going to name names...but some people should really reflect on their misogynistic outbursts in here. We are talking about women taking back some measure of control in the face of violence from Men.

If you have a problem with that maybe you should think a little harder first and speak last.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm appalled at some of the posts in this thread. In years of membership of this site I've only ever blocked one person until now.

I'm not going to name names...but some people should really reflect on their misogynistic outbursts in here. We are talking about women taking back some measure of control in the face of violence from Men.

If you have a problem with that maybe you should think a little harder first and speak last.
Amen

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Well said. The thread has (predictably) become a train wreck.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Could you point out a few of these “misogynistic outbursts”?

I feel like I’m one of the people you’re pointing the finger at. So would be helpful to know what you’re taking issue with.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

I feel like I’m one of the people you’re pointing the finger at. So would be helpful to know what you’re taking issue with.
I was wondering the same. I've read a couple of pages from the start and the end but haven't encountered these horrible posts. Were they in the middle then?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just because you don’t doesn’t mean others shouldn’t or can’t.

People are different, they process things in different ways and this will have different meanings for everyone. It’s not hard to comprehend why some might have those strong feelings.

stepic

Suggesting women only went there to get Instagram pictures, instead of being there in solidarity or because it’s impacted them in some way as a woman, is pretty damn distasteful and sexist.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I was wondering the same. I've read a couple of pages from the start and the end but haven't encountered these horrible posts. Were they in the middle then?
I had a rant about people turning up to beef up their Instagram content. That was a non-gendered criticism. Would be weird if it was interpreted as a “misogynistic outburst”

The funny thing is, I wouldn’t be too critical of the crowds. Almost all of them were well intentioned and even if boredom or social media likes helped motivate them to attend it’s not the worst thing in the world. It’s been absolutely shit being young during this pandemic, I’m sure. So human nature to make the most out of any distractions. But you can’t really complain if the police take exception to crowds refusing to disperse and get a bit heavy-handed.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Suggesting women only went there to get Instagram pictures, instead of being there in solidarity or because it’s impacted them in some way as a woman, is pretty damn distasteful and sexist.
When did I refer to women, specifically? Seemed to be a fairly mixed crowd. Look at the video @Leroy The Red shared. Almost entirely blokes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Seconded.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
You can hold a vigil for whoever you like.
I dont want to hold a vigil for anyone. Particularly seeing as we're in the middle of a pandemic, where I've had to swerve more than one family funeral due to restrictions.

But these people feel they're entitled to gather to "cry a bit and mourn" for someone they dont know, even after being asked not to, just because she was white and middle class?

None of this is a reflection on the murder, or women's safety, purely about the absolute reek of entitlement.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Was the BLM movement just about George Floyd?
I mean, when one the organisers was asked why there were no vigils for other victims, she literally said because Sarah Everard was middle class and it made her realise it could've been her.

stepic

When did I refer to women, specifically? Seemed to be a fairly mixed crowd. Look at the video @Leroy The Red shared. Almost entirely blokes.
‘Taking pics for Instagram’ seems a pretty odd comment to make about men.

Also, you were clearly referring to women here:

I’m definitely sounding callous. Which is probably a bit unfair. I’m sure that what happened was triggering for lots of women. And raises some important issues.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Cressida Dick is making a statement later. Presumably to claim all the people jumped ticket barriers and were wearing jackets with wires coming out of them.
I'm sure a lot of people won't get this reference, but Cressida Dick really does live up to her surname. Utter garbage woman, despicable.

People of colour have been saying for years how fecked up the Police are in this country, especially the London Met - hopefully some investigations come out after this and there's more transparency. I won't hold my breath though.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So unless you’re holding vigils for everyone you can’t hold vigils for anyone?
Think I should point that, in that particular case, if memory serves, the family had to go out and find the body after reporting to the police (could be wrong here). And also 2 police officers took selfies with the dead bodies (the 100% happened).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
‘Taking pics for Instagram’ seems a pretty odd comment to make about men.

Also, you were clearly referring to women here:
I was specifically cutting the women attendees some slack with that comment. No such excuse for the men who turned up (again, have a look at the video shared by @Leroy The Red. You’ll barely hear a single female voice)

Men take plenty of pics for Instagram. If we’re absolutely desperate to call other members misogynists here I could take you to task for your assumption that only women post vacuous content on social media!