Sarri being publicly humiliated by Arrizabalaga | Sarri benches Kepa

RedDevil@84

That deserves a proper suspension for the player. Now after all the PR talk and lies, it looks unlikely

R'hllor

Wait, so if ref cant force a player to be subbed, what about those who refuse to leave a pitch with head injuries.

Red_toad

Tevez played for City after refusing to be subbed in.
Scholes also refused to play for United. But that from Kepa was another level all together. Publicly humiliated his manager by having a tantrum on the pitch.

Last edited:

Panixs

Supports
Fulham
Wait, so if ref cant force a player to be subbed, what about those who refuse to leave a pitch with head injuries.
That's covered in Law 5 dealing with the refs powers.
Under injury it states
stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play.

Going back to the sub law once the player is off the pitch they can be subbed as the second the substitute steps on the pitch they become an active player and the original player becomes a substituted player.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He's completely lost the players, I actually felt a bit sorry for him. Toxic club, Chelsea.

If I was Sarri I would have borderline dragged Kepa off. He'd shown twice that he was struggling with cramp and my replacement keeper is Willy bloody Caballero, an ex-city GK. He's going on, you're coming off you stubborn prick. You both get medals at the end of it.
This. Disgusting from Kepa, should be in the reserves for the rest of the season. Felt sorry for Sarri watching that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Benched is a better penalty. Shouldn't make the match squad as long as Sarri is there.
He should be signalled as the sub in the 90th minute of every game till the end of the season only for Caballero to refuse to come off.

tieunhilang

I think this is being pretty overblown by the media to be honest. It's not like it was a tactical change that the players didn't agree on. Sarri made the decision based on his injury. He was arguing with Sarri because he wasn't injured. He probably should have still went off, because the manager makes the final decision and he may have thought Kepa wasn't fully 100%, but the media is making an undue spectacle out of this.
Feck it. Imagine if this happened to Mourinho and Pogba? We'll NEVER hear the end of it.
So it'll be fair if other teams get the same treatment as us. I welcome the media to blow this as big as they want. Chelsea being further distracted will also boost our chance for the top 4.

ManRed

If I owned Chelsea I'd sell Kepa and Azpilicueta. Hell, I'd likely sack Sarri by the end of the season (or right away depending on who you can get in) but those two I would have been sold anyway, and Azpilicueta would lose his captaincy for the rest of the season while Keba wouldn't have been playing another minute.
I dont see a single captain material in that team. Who would you name captain? David Luiz or Hazard or Kante??

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Watching it again I can’t help but notice that David Luiz wasn’t exactly encouraging Kepa to leave the pitch.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Well that was embarrassing. That is the type of thing you would expect from a kids game, not from professional teams. I do feel sorry for the manager, but think that he really should have just forced the sub through.

I would like to think that the keeper will be benched for the next game, but judging from Sarri's post match interview I can see it all being swept under the rug and Sarri sacked in the near future.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The ref technically can't do it. If the player refuses to be subbed the letter of the law says they allow play to continue.

In reality, if the ref had blown his whistle and called Kepa over (and not backed down) then the goalie would've come off eventually.
The ref should have booked him at least for time wasting because that's what he was doing. Maybe it was all an elaborate ruse as they wasted a lot of time doing this.

haram

Watching it again I can’t help but notice that David Luiz wasn’t exactly encouraging Kepa to leave the pitch.
Azpilicueta and Luiz are two of the more senior players in that side. It’s a disgrace, no respect for the manager.

king_dinho

Player power at ridiculous levels now. Hope this never happens at United. Wouldn't even condone this if De Gea did this to Mourinho.

RochaRoja

I don’t even understand how this was allowed to happen. If the manager gives the paper work to the fourth official for the substitution to take place, surely the referee is well within his rights to order the player to leave the field and caution him if he refuses?

RochaRoja

Never seen anything like that tbh.

Sarri should have persevered and if Kepa carried on being an ass, his own players/ the ref could have forced him off.

Can't believe that, will be interesting to hear what Sarri says now.
I guess the opposing argument is that if he was stronger and forced Kepa off, if Caballero has a shocker he’s the one who looks like a clown. At least this way, Kepa is the villain.

RochaRoja

Never seen anything like that tbh.

Sarri should have persevered and if Kepa carried on being an ass, his own players/ the ref could have forced him off.

Can't believe that, will be interesting to hear what Sarri says now.
I guess the opposing argument is that if he was stronger and forced Kepa off, if Caballero has a shocker Sarri is the one who looks like a clown. At least this way, Kepa is the villain.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I guess the opposing argument is that if he was stronger and forced Kepa off, if Caballero has a shocker Sarri is the one who looks like a clown. At least this way, Kepa is the villain.
In a way, although Kepa would still put pressure on Caballero the same way the designated penalty taker would feel extra pressure if one of his own players tried to take the ball away from him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Sarri needs to either send Kepa to the reserve for the rest of the season or to resign here and now.

No possible inbetween
On the other hand, why walk away from both the money and the chance to keep Kepa on the bench for the rest of his tenure there, how ever short it might be?

Rednotdead

What made it worse for me was the behaviour of the other Chelsea players. They just stood around with blank looks on their faces as though it was nothing to do with them.

No matter what anyone thinks of Sarri that whole incident was unforgiveable.

Kamprad

It felt like that moment where someone did something in class that was so over the top it made everyone feel sorry for the teacher.
It’s funny how I immediately looked for your location to see if you were a swede as soon as I’d read your comment. And sure enough... I dont think those things occur in other countries as much as in sweden.

haram

Even if he sends Kepa to the reserves, do people really think the other players respect Sarri and will carry out his instructions? These players are a disgrace.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Sarri is going to leave now one way or the other, that much is certain.

The problem for Chelsea though is: What manager in their right mind would want to go to a club like that after that shitshow. One thing is the club sacking managers for fun, but when you also consider that Abrhamovic is a bellend and the dressing room is toxic as feck with the players having all the power

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What made it worse for me was the behaviour of the other Chelsea players. They just stood around with blank looks on their faces as though it was nothing to do with them.

No matter what anyone thinks of Sarri that whole incident was unforgiveable.
I even wonder if Luiz wasn't saying something like "Don't listen to that prick, stay on the pitch" to him.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
How plausible is Sarri’s misunderstanding story?
Very, very unlikely for me. Judging by the way Sarri reacted, there's no way that's a simple "Oh, I thought you were injured? Np mate, stay out there."

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Very, very unlikely for me. Judging by the way Sarri reacted, there's no way that's a simple "Oh, I thought you were injured? Np mate, stay out there."
Sadly I wasn’t able to watch the game so didn’t see the reaction first had. Admittedly it sounded far-fetched.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sadly I wasn’t able to watch the game so didn’t see the reaction first had. Admittedly it sounded far-fetched.

You can see most of his reaction here. No chance that's a misunderstanding for me.

OverratedOpinion

How plausible is Sarri’s misunderstanding story?
I think it was very likely a misunderstanding but in my opinion that is irrelevant. Kepa could clearly see that whatever the reason was Sarri was insisting on the sub taking place for minutes. When your manager tells you that you're getting subbed, you leave the pitch.

Honestly it doesn't matter if the manager is taking you off because a purple dragon in his head is telling him to. He is still your boss and he has people to answer to who will assess these things.