No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Sarri : "Oi! Get off!"
Kepa : "No u" thumbsup
Sarri : Screams in Itallian
Kepa : "Is ok, is ok" thumbsup

Ferguson

Forget Sarri, if Chelsea allow Kepa to play again for their club, then they are undermining Sarri and any manager that has to follow Sarri.

Skills

Snitch
Forget Sarri, if Chelsea allow Kepa to play again for their club, then they are undermining Sarri and any manager that has to follow Sarri.
And if they don't they're flushing 70m down the drain.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The only way it reflects anything remotely bad on Sarri, is that he's got no authority/respect from some of his players.
This is true, the players not buying in to Sarri as a manager.

If he's going to tactically sub Kepa and put Caballero in for penalties should be telling him before the game, or at least at the start of extra time. Then not going to have this on the pitch issue. It shows bad management, communication and organisation of the team.

Can't see this going down well with Abramovich and expect Sarri out this week probably before Spurs game. Kepa can apologise and take his punishment. He's young, made a mistake that was partly a misunderstanding about his injury, that happens. Not really a big issue for me.

fellaini's barber

Play to just continue when a player refuses to obey his employers and leave? Now that's the real player power!

Denis79

This reflects badly on Sarri and Kepa. If Sarri intended to put Willy on for pens should have told Kepa in advance. Kepa should come off if Sarri wants to make a substitution. I think Kepa thought Sarri wanted him off for injury but it was actually tactical.
Don't feel it reflects badly on Sarri at all. Kepa made himself look like an idiot.

Lentwood

What would have happened if Sarri had subbed Cabellero on for another outfield player?

Obviously only one could have kept goal but surely couldn't have stopped him entering the field? Would have been a farce but if I were Sarri I would have considered it

deadrevelz

I think this was blown out of proportion and a lot of the 'indignation' comes from older people who seem to worship authority.

I can understand why Kepa doesn't want to get taken off and it's possible it was Sarri's mistake. Kepa was clearly trying to waste time and disrupt play for much of the game, especially around stoppage time and extra time. He was doing it very well. I reckon Sarri misinterpreted this as him being injured and tried to sub him, which Kepa reacted angrily to, as his manager should have recognised this. Imagine if the manager had told you to act in this way, then tries to sub you off for being 'injured' minutes before a penalty shootout. I would be furious too.

Also, it was extremely funny. Cheer up you sad sacks.

Reactions: Gandalf Greyhame

Matt007a

Both sides are playing this down at the moment so I suspect it'll all be swept under the carpet. Sarri shouldn't have backed down over the substitution and certainly shouldn't have said after the game it was a misunderstanding and nothing more. He should have put his foot down and shown authority over the player, then dealt with it later behind the scenes even if he didn't punish the player afterwards.

Kepa should have jogged over to the bench and explained to Sarri that he was ok to continue, then let him decide whether to keep him on or not. Gesticulating from a distance because you don't want to be taken off is unprofessional.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

If he's going to tactically sub Kepa and put Caballero in for penalties should be telling him before the game, or at least at the start of extra time. Then not going to have this on the pitch issue. It shows bad management, communication and organisation of the team.

Can't see this going down well with Abramovich and expect Sarri out this week probably before Spurs game. Kepa can apologise and take his punishment. He's young, made a mistake that was partly a misunderstanding about his injury, that happens. Not really a big issue for me.
He's young indeed, and hopefully will learn from it but tbf, I've never seen anything like this before (or well, as far as my hazy memory allows anyway), let alone at a pro level. He's showed a complete lack of respect there - misunderstanding or not.

The communication part, to my end, is a moot point, isn't it? Sometimes substitutions happen on the cuff/improvisation as a counter to in-game management. Of course subbing a keeper on for pens would have, or should have been pre-planned (& likewise communicated) but for me, when your number is up, your number is up. Lost in translation between the 2, I guess.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Chelsea need to show the level of class that Sarri has shown, with regard to this incident.

I wish Sarri well for the future, as he is finished at the end of the season.

cyberman

I hear DDG used to refuse substitutions during his first season in England so Kepa should still come good.

cyberman

You'd be there all day if a manager had to explain tactics to a sub who isn't even on the pitch to do anything anyway. Jog off and ask when you're on the bench for feck sake. What utter nonsense.

cyberman

I think this was blown out of proportion and a lot of the 'indignation' comes from older people who seem to worship authority.

I can understand why Kepa doesn't want to get taken off and it's possible it was Sarri's mistake. Kepa was clearly trying to waste time and disrupt play for much of the game, especially around stoppage time and extra time. He was doing it very well. I reckon Sarri misinterpreted this as him being injured and tried to sub him, which Kepa reacted angrily to, as his manager should have recognised this. Imagine if the manager had told you to act in this way, then tries to sub you off for being 'injured' minutes before a penalty shootout. I would be furious too.

Also, it was extremely funny. Cheer up you sad sacks.
Apparently the change was due to Willy being a better pen keeper and being an ex City player who trained with them for years, he would have an advantage in such a shootout.
But then, none of that was Kepas business to know. Just get off the fecking field.

deadrevelz

Apparently the change was due to Willy being a better pen keeper and being an ex City player who trained with them for years, he would have an advantage in such a shootout.
But then, none of that was Kepas business to know. Just get off the fecking field.
If Kepa knew that beforehand or was told this during the standoff obviously it is unforgivable, but it didn't look that way. Kepa was giving the "I'm OK" hand gestures.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
To me it was very obviously a tactical change and also very obvious that Sarri/Zola hadn't told Kepa they would put Willy on for pens.... Kepa thought the sub was for his injury and he was ok to continue so didn't come off. Shambles.

It's really poor management and no need to have such a simple misunderstanding. Just needed to tell Kepa before the game as part of the match preparation. Absolutely basic, and ruined what was a very good defensive performance from us. Fully expecting Sarri to pay the price, last straw I think.

RedDevil-85

Saw this yesterday,absolutely shocking from Kepa.
If you are a player,you do what the coach tell you to do,its as simple as that.

cyberman

If Kepa knew that beforehand or was told this during the standoff obviously it is unforgivable, but it didn't look that way. Kepa was giving the "I'm OK" hand gestures.
But it doesn't have to be pre planned. Sarri might have just realised the sub could be beneficial.
It's not like Kepa has a strong hand with the amount of goals that go in despite Kepa getting his hand to a shot so his effectiveness with pens could be minimal.
The manager doesn't have to explain himself with subs. It just seems like an argument to make it an argument if Kepa gets any leeway at all.

Carolina Red

Staff
To me it was very obviously a tactical change and also very obvious that Sarri/Zola hadn't told Kepa they would put Willy on for pens.... Kepa thought the sub was for his injury and he was ok to continue so didn't come off. Shambles.

It's really poor management and no need to have such a simple misunderstanding. Just needed to tell Kepa before the game as part of the match preparation. Absolutely basic, and ruined what was a very good defensive performance from us. Fully expecting Sarri to pay the price, last straw I think.
Or...and this is a radical thought...you do what your manager says and get off the damn field.

DeGea

The fact that Sarri has not said something to the tune of "he will never play again for me" means he has bottled it. Sarri needs to show who is boss and preserve his dignity. No wonder the players do not respect him, he does not appear to have the bottle to absolutely hammer them when they step out of line. Who cares if he gets sacked, he will probably get sacked in the summer anyway.

Can you imagine if someone did that against SAF? He will put him on the transfer list today. Let's face it, Becks did not even do anything half this bad, yet he got a boot kicked across the room that hit him in the eye (probably unintentionally, but you get the idea).

jem

It was disgraceful from Kepa - Sarri was totally undermined. It's an interesting thought to wonder what the reaction around here would have been had DDG (someone we all love) done something similar to Mourinho (hardly universally loved.) Then again, perhaps one of the reasons we love DDG so much is his amazing professionalism.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The fact that Sarri has not said something to the tune of "he will never play again for me" means he has bottled it. Sarri needs to show who is boss and preserve his dignity. No wonder the players do not respect him, he does not appear to have the bottle to absolutely hammer them when they step out of line. Who cares if he gets sacked, he will probably get sacked in the summer anyway.

Can you imagine if someone did that against SAF? He will put him on the transfer list today. Let's face it, Becks did not even do anything half this bad, yet he got a boot kicked across the room that hit him in the eye (probably unintentionally, but you get the idea).
Yep. He will show his spine by playing useless players like Jorginho everytime but when things like this happens, he turns out to be a complete bottler. Same goes for Zola who just sat there on his arse and the cowardly players Chelsea have who couldn't force their GK off the pitch.

Who the feck is Kepa to refuse a substitution? This was the moment for Sarri to show who's the boss and as things appear, he has bottled it.

steffyr2

OK, I'm finding this really funny. That Utd fans think another team should get rid of their expensive player because he won't do as the manager says. (you know, as opposed to getting rid of the manager because said expensive player is 'sad').

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
OK, I'm finding this really funny. That Utd fans think another team should get rid of their expensive player because he won't do as the manager says. (you know, as opposed to getting rid of the manager because said expensive player is 'sad').
In terms of getting good results on the pitch, the manager is the most important person on the playing staff. If, for whatever reason (including self-inflicted wounds), the manager's authority is damaged that is far more detrimental than losing a player, regardless of how good (or expensive) that player is.

If Pochettino was in charge, Kepa would be heavily fined, benched for the rest of the season and sold at the earliest opportunity. And any other player who objected to this would be out on their arse, regardless of who they were.

The manager being in charge and creating team of cohesive unity far outweighs other all other considerations.

As it stands, Sarri is a dead man walking and no manager worth his salt will be willing to join the Chelsea circus as long as they know that, when push comes to shove, the club hierarchy will side with player-power.

As it stands, Chelsea are set for a period of continued decline.

Redlyn

Shocking stuff.
Captain should have kicked him off the pitch.
Imagine Fergie trying to sub a player with Keane on the pitch. He'd be dragged off.
No we cant imagine that because no player would dare disobey.

Bwuk

Embarassing.

Sarri has lost the dressing room. Kepa is a pr*ck for behaving the way he did, but if it was a manager the players liked and respected this wouldn't of happened.

Lets hope Sarri sees it out until the end of the season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, because the scenarios are exactly the same aren't they?:rolleyes:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We can be outraged all we like but this shit works for Chelsea.

Player power has been the thing there for years now and they've consistently won stuff.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How is it a United fan thing? This applies everywhere. There's a hierarchy and unspoken rules in football.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I honestly think this was a misunderstanding, albeit a very bad one to have.

You could perfectly see Sarri was seriously pissed off. Not sure why Kepa didn't read the situation properly.

Member 115509

I don't really think this can be resolved unless one of them goes. Maybe they can patch it up and move on, but it's hard to see how such a public refusal to obey a manager's instructions can be forgotten about.
Sarri is looking close to the exit door anyway, so he would be the most likely one to leave, unless the Chelsea board are willing to back him, give him more time and tell him to handle yesterday's situation however he sees fit.

JSArsenal

I don't really think this can be resolved unless one of them goes. Maybe they can patch it up and move on, but it's hard to see how such a public refusal to obey a manager's instructions can be forgotten about.
Sarri is looking close to the exit door anyway, so he would be the most likely one to leave, unless the Chelsea board are willing to back him, give him more time and tell him to handle yesterday's situation however he sees fit.
Chelsea literally can't punish Kepa in any way now. Not after those statements that Sarri and Kepa released yesterday.

It would look foolish if Chelsea make it clear that it was just a misunderstanding then turn around and drop Kepa to the bench or the reserves. Things will continue as "normal" from now on.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Just so i know, people dont honestly think it was a simple misunderstanding, right?

I mean, really? IF so, head, sand, in, the.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Just so i know, people dont honestly think it was a simple misunderstanding, right?

I mean, really? IF so, head, sand, in, the.
It was a misunderstanding, but not a simple one.

Sarri and the whole technical staff were extremely angry during the whole incident.

Does Kepa have a problem with non-verbal communication?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
In terms of getting good results on the pitch, the manager is the most important person on the playing staff. If, for whatever reason (including self-inflicted wounds), the manager's authority is damaged that is far more detrimental than losing a player, regardless of how good (or expensive) that player is.

If Pochettino was in charge, Kepa would be heavily fined, benched for the rest of the season and sold at the earliest opportunity. And any other player who objected to this would be out on their arse, regardless of who they were.

The manager being in charge and creating team of cohesive unity far outweighs other all other considerations.

As it stands, Sarri is a dead man walking and no manager worth his salt will be willing to join the Chelsea circus as long as they know that, when push comes to shove, the club hierarchy will side with player-power.

As it stands, Chelsea are set for a period of continued decline.
Complete and utter rubbish. £10m a year and a further 10-15m when sacked says they would. You're going to get a shedload of money, probably win something if you're a half decent manager. Most managers out there would take our job, naive to think they wouldnt really. And this decline is mentioned every other year, and it never happens. Its more wishful thinking

re. first bold part, like feck would Pochettino bench Kane all season and sell him earliest chance if he refused to be subbed. Nope

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It was a misunderstanding, but not a simple one.

Sarri and the whole technical staff were extremely angry during the whole incident.

Does Kepa have a problem with non-verbal communication?
a misunderstanding does not continue for 4-5 mins, result in sarri wanting to walk out, throw a huge tantrum and then get restrained by Rudiger because he wanted to rage at Kepa before penalties. Initially refuse to join the huddle, and then walk down the tunnel alone, within seconds of winning penalty going in. Before penalties he would also have got the word that the supposed injury , was actually cramp. Infact before the 120mins were up he'd have been told.

Both came out of it looking bad

Yet still ranted and raged? Not buying it