Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

GiddyUp

I’m not talking about Utd fans, football fans can be easily convinced. The issue will be the media, politicians and anyone else who will suddenly have an opinion about any proposed takeover. All of a sudden the fit and proper test will be under more scrutiny than ever before.

United’s dividends are tiny in comparison to the price of the club, commercially it makes no sense. From a PR perspective it will only lead to more bad press, buying Utd really isn’t a good move for the Saudi’s.

I have no idea if the Newcastle takeover is genuine but that would make a lot more sense than buying us.
England is awash is Saudi money. The media and politicians won't give a shit outside of a couple of news cycles. Who ever they buy they will make it work .

Roboc7

England is awash is Saudi money. The media and politicians won't give a shit outside of a couple of news cycles. Who ever they buy they will make it work .
It would be headline news and deaf on for a lot longer than you think, your right Saudi money is everywhere and it will be hypocritical but more fuss would be made of them buying us than any other business interest they have in the UK.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
It would be headline news and deaf on for a lot longer than you think, your right Saudi money is everywhere and it will be hypocritical but more fuss would be made of them buying us than any other business interest they have in the UK.
Correct.
The press would hang it like an albatross around our neck. Every win would be followed by a piece on the regime instead of our victory.

Suv666

MBS is scum. But so are Utd right now.
Being mid table mediocrity or champions and being a revenue stream for a regime that performs beheadings?
Tough one that

Roboc7

Anything reputable. As would anyone.
If this is the rumour that Joel is buying more shares and taking more control then its 100% fabricated. Changes in ownership would have to be declared to the stock exchange and even if they didn’t he doesn’t have the money to buy out his siblings.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd have no issue with them being our owners. There's enough politics going on in the world to be worrying about politics in football too. I know many others feel the opposite about them. That's fair enough.

The tennis, wrestling, golf and boxing are embracing the Saudis so why not football?

DVG7

I'd have no issue with them being our owners. There's enough politics going on in the world to be worrying about politics in football too. I know many others feel the opposite about them. That's fair enough.

The tennis, wrestling, golf and boxing are embracing the Saudis so why not football?
They aren't embracing the Saudi's, they are embracing money.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Because there is a bottomless pit of money in football, and there’s not in any of those sports you quote.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is there any truth about these rumours? Is anyone located in Saudi or have Saudi links who can confirm?

Full bodied red

MBS is scum. But so are Utd right now.
Being mid table mediocrity or champions and being a revenue stream for a regime that performs beheadings?
Tough one that

Any worse than a revenue stream, and what a revenue stream it's been, for owners in a country that also executes about 50 people per year ??

matt10000

Any worse than a revenue stream, and what a revenue stream it's been, for owners in a country that also executes about 50 people per year ??
There is a bit of a difference between being owned by someone who happens to live in a country where executions take place and being owned by the people who do the executing din’t you think?

C'est Moi Cantona

It's a real shame there seems no hope of any sort of middle ground here.

To compete properly we need to fall into the clutches of owners so unpalatable that alot on here say they won't support the club anymore, or we continue with the owners who risked the whole existence of the club, and have no interest in ever making us great again, is there nothing in between that is even remotely doable?

Full bodied red

There is a bit of a difference between being owned by someone who happens to live in a country where executions take place and being owned by the people who do the executing din’t you think?

No.....I don't see any difference.

People in Saudi are executed on the authority of the government and executed by people employed by the government

People in the USA are executed on the authority of the government and executed by people employed by the ( State ?? ) government

Executed in a different way, of course, but executed nonetheless.

Now....I'd draw the line on being owned by a Saudi executioner, but not their employer.

KW2006

In 99.9% occasions i think Glazers are the worst owner. But Saudi are the 0.1%.

TrustInOle

Not saying this is fact, far from, but is it so impossible, like Quatar before them, that the Saudi's see they need change and inviting the world into the country whilst trying to appoint worldwide relationships that could help in this regard for improved change, is the right way to go?

Who is to say, that the next generation of Saudi royalty won't buy completley into this philosophy and push the agenda further? Every country and government have sick and appaling history, some still present today. But imagine if none of the regimes, countries, governments never got the chance. I mean 60 years ago it was fair game to hang a person based on the colour of skin in America and even make a holiday out of it!

Everybody needs a chance to change, and changing out of a very strict religeous nation isn't something accomplished over night.

Imagine the jubilation the people of saudi will feel of the world takes more notice of their country.

wolvored

I know but I think our situation is very different. City had like 2 fans before Sheikhs so nobody gave a shit, Chelsea had a few more but Abramovich saved the club from a serious financial crisis so the fans saw him as a saviour. In our case we already have a massive fanbase and I assume most of them have a strong negative stereotypes about Saudis. I mean, I remember we had people saying "I will stop supporting United if Haier becomes our sponsor" just because they are Chinese FFS, nothing compared to Saudis :lol: If they bought us I am sure they would get a serious wave of negativity, at least for a few years. If they bought Newcastle, nobody would care much.
I think what folks say and what they would do in reality are two different things. Would someone stop supporting or following Utd due to the owneres? Especially if they got Utd back to the best team in England and competing with the best in Europe.

AaronRedDevil

I think what folks say and what they would do in reality are two different things. Would someone stop supporting or following Utd due to the owneres? Especially if they got Utd back to the best team in England and competing with the best in Europe.
I think people will overlook the owners if United became dominant again. To be completely honest, those “bad” owners would be better then the glaziers.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
It's all talk with a lot of people, sure you'll have the select few that are passionate and stubborn enough to actually completely break ties with the club but for the vast majority it'll be just like it is now. Lots of anti-owner talk, "get them out of my club" blah blah. The Glazers are supposedly unanimously hated by the fans as it is and yet feck all people are even willing to walk out of the ground in the 68th minute of one game. Manchester United is an addiction for far too many people.

All of this talk is most definitely in vain anyway, once Newcastle United avoid relegation and the season ends, the Saudi moral debate is going to be the Toon's problem.

Edit: And that's the bottom line because my one thousandth post said so x

Withnail

People in Saudi are executed on the authority of the government and executed by people employed by the government

People in the USA are executed on the authority of the government and executed by people employed by the ( State ?? ) government

Now....I'd draw the line on being owned by a Saudi executioner, but not their employer.
The Glazers aren't part of the government though so it's totally different.

The Saudis who are rumoured to be interested in taking over United or Newcastle are the actual government who amongst other atrocities had that journalist in their own embassy.

Withnail

It's all talk with a lot of people, sure you'll have the select few that are passionate and stubborn enough to actually completely break ties with the club but for the vast majority it'll be just like it is now. Lots of anti-owner talk, "get them out of my club" blah blah. The Glazers are supposedly unanimously hated by the fans as it is and yet feck all people are even willing to walk out of the ground in the 68th minute of one game. Manchester United is an addiction for far too many people.

All of this talk is most definitely in vain anyway, once Newcastle United avoid relegation and the season ends, the Saudi moral debate is going to be the Toon's problem.
Yeah it's a no brainer. They have limitless pockets but why buy United for billions when you can get a sleeping giant like Newcastle for 100s of millions.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm saying what I've been told and I stand to be corrected. Go back over my posts since about December. I even put a video of Joel doing his Bucs press conference from November. I posted it in May. Also, after the Sheffield United game, I've been questioning where Ed is and how we've not been hearing or seeing much of him. and now stories are coming out about the discontent between him and Joel.

Just relaying what I've pieced together. Stand to be corrected. As we all can be wrong and no doubt, I will be on something's.
There's definitely some weird stuff going on between them. The recent Ashton-fed media articles blaming the Glazers and absolving Ed seem to suggest this too. I've also noticed the Glazers take Arnold everywhere they go (i.e. the Saudi conference last year) but not Ed.

Full bodied red

The Glazers aren't part of the government though so it's totally different.

The Saudis who are rumoured to be interested in taking over United or Newcastle are the actual government who amongst other atrocities had that journalist in their own embassy.

You're entitled to your opinion about whether they are or they are not nice people.

I'll have them at OT because they're our last hope, but I'll hate them as much as you if they buy Newcastle who then become the new PSG or the new Citeh and we fall even further behind.

matt10000

The rules of this forum are not to insult or get personal and so I will refrain from calling you a stupid get

Caliban

I will never support this team with Saudis in charge. It will turn into, one of those oligark teams. I'll rather support Sheff Utd. But hey, times we live in. It might be needed if the fans want a quick fix and for old Trafford to get the update it desperately need.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I will never support this team with Saudis in charge. It will turn into, one of those oligark teams. I'll rather support Sheff Utd. But hey, times we live in. It might be needed if the fans want a quick fix and for old Trafford to get the update it desperately need.
Fear not. It's not happening.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Saudis also own Sheffield United.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Saudis also own Sheffield United.
:lol:

Amarsdd

having opinions on whether you're for or against Saudi ownership is fine, everyone has their own priorities. But saying the relationship between the Glazers and the United States government is the same as Saudis interested in buying United and their government is just dumb.

matt10000

This is like saying I’d draw the line on being owned by a german guard at Auschwitz, but not Adolf Hitler.

Full bodied red

The rules of this forum are not to insult or get personal and so I will refrain from calling you a stupid get

Go ahead....I won't mind.

As I see it, it'd be a win-win.

We'd have the money to compete again...

And if Redcafe is anything to go by, too many outraged posters on here will be doing something else instead of supporting us and so I'll have no problem getting tickets for our matches if this takeover happens.

This is like saying I’d draw the line on being owned by a german guard at Auschwitz, but not Adolf Hitler.
So you're going to watch Rochdale each week instead, then ??

red thru&thru

There's definitely some weird stuff going on between them. The recent Ashton-fed media articles blaming the Glazers and absolving Ed seem to suggest this too. I've also noticed the Glazers take Arnold everywhere they go (i.e. the Saudi conference last year) but not Ed.
Exactly. All we can do is wait and see. June should be a good indicator

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Correct.
The press would hang it like an albatross around our neck. Every win would be followed by a piece on the regime instead of our victory.
Sure.
But we'd win a lot.
And I'd like to remind you that professional sport is about winning (and we're not doing much winning these days).

GeorgieBoy

There's no point worrying whatever side of the fence you're sitting. It won't happen.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
My dad supported Utd since the 50s. The day they floated on the stock market he stopped watching football altogether, never watched another game - of football, not just Utd.

RUCK4444

Correct.
Disagree, there has been feckin radio silence ever since the City owners took over.

Only recently have small sections of the press touched on the dark connections and wrongdoing that goes on behind the scenes with the city owners and that was pushed forward pretty much alongside the FFP violation leaks.

Always seemed to me that these ‘regimes’ have the press scared shiteless to say anything negative about them.