Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How did some of you get into the argument of Saudi vs Glazers again?

Oi! They want to buy Newcastle now. Keep up with the news.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No, as in there are more positives than negatives when it comes to Saudi’s integrating more with western society.

I mean that’s not even a debate. The more they integrate with us the more positive effect we can influence.

They are a nation that knows nothing else but their own traditions with very little outside influence.
It's so simple. If only we allowed the Nazi's to buy up our countries most influential businesses we could have ended the war years before we did!

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
No it isn’t. You’ll follow them just like you do today without even thinking about it when you sign the first galactico. When someone reminds you of this post, you’ll conveniently site some semi-truth about your chaps not being like the other ones. Just like evey United-fan would do in the same situation. Or Newcastle or City for that matter. Besides, you could make a pretty long list of shit going about in the States too couldn’t you?
Thanks for letting me know.

I’m all for bashing the Americans for all the stuff that goes on over there, but there’s no way you can equate an American business man to MBS.

stevoc

Thanks for letting me know.

I’m all for bashing the Americans for all the stuff that goes on over there, but there’s no way you can equate an American business man to MBS.
It’s seems obvious but in the minds of idiots they are comparable.

Last edited:

ariveded

Sigh. Another one. So in ten years time, UAE and Saudi Arabia will be battling it out for the title while the rest of us play catch up.

The day Liverpool is bought by a regime that murders homosexuals and where women have no rights is the day I stop supporting them.
m
Some LFC players come from players where homosexuality is punished. So those players could have aligned views...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So happy they aren’t buying us, I would stop supporting us 100% , I thought it was a matter of time so I’m over the moon it won’t happen, Newcastle fans....I feel for you, out of the frying pan ......,
They won’t give a feck when they are spending £200 million a summer and winning Champions leagues mate.

Cloud7

I’ve said this many times and I’ll say it again. If you want the Saudis to buy United because you hope they spend 500 million every summer, but you’re honest about that, at least I can respect you for being honest about what you want.

But the people that try to skirt around the issue by saying “X country is just as bad” or “Buying United would put a greater focus on SA and make them clean up their act” or things of that ilk, you lot truly are the worst of the bunch. I saw someone there post that the Saudis haven’t been exposed much to modern culture and that’s why they hold on to their current views. Do you lot really think the powers that be in these countries are a bunch of old tribals holed up in a cave, unaware of how more just/equal/modern societies function? Scared to even admit your true feelings while trying to use some god awful excuses and piss poor logic.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
These are the Saudis, considering how they managed to run their country recently, I'd bet more on them running this club into the ground. If this was one of the more competent oil countries, you'd be worried.

tjb

I don't actually think they will spend like City and PSG spent. Not even because of FFP ( which is a factor), but also as a result of the rate of inflation in transfer fees over the last few years. In addition to that, clubs like Malaga and Wolves with rich owners have also not been able to spend outrageously. Even Roman's starting to back out a bit. Spurs soon will fall in regards to this, Arsenal were never able to keep up either. It's not that easy anymore.

Judas

Open to offers
Most my Newcastle supporting mates are finding this all a bit bittersweet and surreal. Happy to be rid of Ashley, but couldn't think of a more distasteful replacement, even if the rewards will be bountiful.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Seen lots of Newcastle fans defending this, nay, happy about it. I mean how can you possibly be happy with this? It really is dishearting how self-centred football fans can be.

If this happened at my club, I would feck football off forever.

arthurka

Seen lots of Newcastle fans defending this, nay, happy about it. I mean how can you possibly be happy with this? It really is dishearting how self-centred football fans can be.

If this happened at my club, I would feck football off forever.
This would have happened here too..
But most of the fans would not like this one bit.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
They won’t give a feck when they are spending £200 million a summer and winning Champions leagues mate.
Man City were bought 12 years ago and still haven’t achieved it. PSG were bought 9 years ago and haven’t. I doubt Newcastle will win it any time soon.

GiddyUp

A couple of Picassos as gifts on the down-low would settle it. Probably just a matter of the right way of setting up some cayman island companies in your mom/dad's names with some certain conditions.

You NEVER see City players complain because of wages. Rarely (ever?) has there been a Rooney/Rio/De Gea contract situation. Something fishy about it.
Their real wage gets paid off shore, the amount we know about is just their tips.

RedDevilRoshi

Is that certain? Man City & PSG haven’t exactly come close to winning the CL under their oil owners.

Wealthy Middle Eastern owners does not guarantee success. Take a look at Malaga’s demise.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Wolves do don't they?
Yes. The majority shareholder of Southampton is Chinese too for now. He's trying to sell.

2 state-backed Chinese investment firms collectively bought 13% of City Football Group in 2015.

Outside the PL there's Chinese involvement in Barnsley, Birmingham, Reading and WBA according to Wiki.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I’ve said this many times and I’ll say it again. If you want the Saudis to buy United because you hope they spend 500 million every summer, but you’re honest about that, at least I can respect you for being honest about what you want.
I don't understand this line of thinking anyway. Manchester United can spend as much as any other club on the planet, you have the revenue for it. You don't need the Saudi's.

You just need to invest smarter and not buy so many duds.

RedDevil@84

There was also a chance that they would fire incompetent CEOs and have the money and desire to hire the best in business and have the scrapped DOF project resurrected.

Denis79

Odd it took them this long to get in the game. Neymar joining Newcastle in the summer :lol:

UpWithRivers

End of football. Completely ridiculous. If every scum club can now be bought out by scum owners and win the league then what's the point. Seriously why Newcastle? Nothing club. No history. Not a great City. Nothing. What's next Kim jong un takes over Peterborough united

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I do have a soft spot for Newcastle, and this must be a weird situation for their fans, trading Ashley who they despise, for the Saudi royal family with their terrible human rights record.

In terms of Ashley, I 100% agreed with and understood their fans' criticisms of his regime. This notion that he somehow 'stabilised the club' was pretty bizarre, given the 2 relegations which you could argue were brought about by poor decisions made by him, the net debt increasing to around £150 million or so at one stage, the commercial revenue barely increasing since 2007 (in-fact it might have actually gone down), the offices being raided by HMRC a few years ago etc. That's before we get to the crumbling stadium, the awful training and youth facilities which desperately need to be revamped modernised (he supposedly gave the green light for plans to do that, but shockingly those plans never materialised). That's an interesting definition of stability in my book. And clinging on to Premier League TV money becoming the sole ambition of the club, contributed to their disastrous record in the cup competitions - I think until this season they hadn't reached a single FA or League Cup quarter-final for 14 years.

I know that he has had his high profile supporters such as Richard Keys, Ferdinand (normally a good pundit apart from when he defended Ashley due to commercial reasons - i.e. Sports Direct selling his clothing brand), Peter Beardsley (to help get a coaching gig at the club though of course he left in disgrace) etc.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I do have a soft spot for Newcastle, and this must be a weird situation for their fans, trading Ashley who they despise, for the Saudi royal family with their terrible human rights record.

In terms of Ashley, I 100% agreed with and understood their fans' criticisms of his regime. This notion that he somehow 'stabilised the club' was pretty bizarre, given the 2 relegations which you could argue were brought about by poor decisions made by him, the net debt increasing to around £150 million or so at one stage, the commercial revenue barely increasing since 2007 (in-fact it might have actually gone down), the offices being raided by HMRC a few years ago etc. That's before we get to the crumbling stadium, the awful training and youth facilities which desperately need to be revamped modernised (he supposedly gave the green light for plans to do that, but shockingly those plans never materialised). That's an interesting definition of stability in my book. And clinging on to Premier League TV money becoming the sole ambition of the club, contributed to their disastrous record in the cup competitions - I think until this season they hadn't reached a single FA or League Cup quarter-final for 14 years.

I know that he has had his high profile supporters such as Richard Keys, Ferdinand (normally a good pundit apart from when he defended Ashley due to commercial reasons - i.e. Sports Direct selling his clothing brand), Peter Beardsley (to help get a coaching gig at the club though of course he left in disgrace) etc.
If they’re the best supporters then he’s done

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
End of football. Completely ridiculous. If every scum club can now be bought out by scum owners and win the league then what's the point. Seriously why Newcastle? Nothing club. No history. Not a great City. Nothing. What's next Kim jong un takes over Peterborough united
What do you mean; no history? They have a history of perennial underachievement going back 60 years+.

laughtersassassin

The argument over the Liverpool owners here is mental. No one is saying they are the best owners morally or anything like that. The furlough doesn't come into it one bit.

When people say Liverpools owners are better than ours it because of football. They are interested in their sport teams being good at their respective sports and then profiting off that.

Glazers have a different model where at the end of the day they don't give two shits as long as they make money. If they did a rebuild wouldn't take 7 years and 4 restarts.

FEG are simply very good owners of your interested in your team being good at its sport which is why their sports empire is growing like mad in every way.

Also factor in they work with less resources than the glazers and do a better job, hire football people to run major parts of the club.

Our owners hired a banker who helped them come up with a leveraged buyout as we where his reward. Ed wasn't hired on talent he was hired as a thank you for bagging us. Even if FSG would do the same they wouldn't have ever had him involved in any footballing decisions

Then look at Liverpools stadium. One upgrade done and another about to be in the works. Glazers are letting our rot away. It's not much of a competition.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes. The majority shareholder of Southampton is Chinese too for now. He's trying to sell.

2 state-backed Chinese investment firms collectively bought 13% of City Football Group in 2015.

Outside the PL there's Chinese involvement in Barnsley, Birmingham, Reading and WBA according to Wiki.
Interesting list, I had no idea Charlton were owned by someone of similar wealth to Sheikh Mansour.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Thanos is buying Leeds.

Red Daz

Maybe not but if they bought United I wouldn’t be watching us win any titles because they would be tainted and meaningless to me

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Man City were bought 12 years ago and still haven’t achieved it. PSG were bought 9 years ago and haven’t. I doubt Newcastle will win it any time soon.
I have to agree, money doesn't buy you the CL. It does need an element of being a euro-great club to be able to win it.

But these middle east clubs are not just pumping money in to win a cup, its a long term business venture. Its not as simple of billionaires play things that they will get bored of.

It will be interesting to see how the g14 try to stop this.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The prince buying them has a relatively small personal fortune compared to most owners. The Saudi PIF have assets worth £260bn, but thats not money readily sitting there to spend on newcastle, like their fans are thinking on social media

Good for their fans to be rid of Ashley, but it isnt going to be a city or psg style transformation, IMO

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I don't think Saudi PIF will be investing if there was no intention of ROI. If it was personal purchase by MBS or any royal Saudi family then it would be different case. This won't be a plaything, but definitely better than what Ashley was doing. Won't be a city or PSG like transformation

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They're not going to suddenly start spending £100m on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.