Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke1995

Newcastle really should have done everything they could to keep Benitez. It was a really big mistake to let him go.

They're not a giant club, but they got a big fanbase and on their best days can generate trouble on the pitch for anyone

The issue is, there's not a clear footballing plan in place, with transfers, departures, scouting, and on pitch tactics.

Benitez had a vision. Ashley wasn't willing to spend big enough to meet it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Newcastle really should have done everything they could to keep Benitez. It was a really big mistake to let him go.

They're not a giant club, but they got a big fanbase and on their best days can generate trouble on the pitch for anyone

The issue is, there's not a clear footballing plan in place, with transfers, departures, scouting, and on pitch tactics.

I reckon he could lured back with new owners. It seems like he's popular with the fans and he still likes the club

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

This is what buying football club gets you. Random person from north west of England who probably did not even care about Saudi Arabia is now asking them to judge them fairly on their present, and everyone have been incorrectly looking into their past. So much ignorance in that one tweet.

ShinjiNinja26

This is what buying football club gets you. Random person from north west of England who probably did not even care about Saudi Arabia is now asking them to judge them fairly on their present, and everyone have been incorrectly looking into their past. So much ignorance in that one tweet.
Thats fecking depressing!! Really hope they block this takeover although I doubt it. Had a quick look on a Newcastle forum and their already wanking over the prospect of signing the likes of Erling Haaland, wankers!

bigger club than City and Blackburn when they got taken over. Clearly with FFP it’s more difficult to make a land grab than it used to be.

pratyush_utd

Thats fecking depressing!! Really hope they block this takeover although I doubt it. Had a quick look on a Newcastle forum and their already wanking over the prospect of signing the likes of Erling Haaland, wankers!
This is PIF fund and it belongs to the national fund. I don't think investment will be as ludicrous as PSG and Man City did. Those were mostly private investment. If MBS was buying through a shell company then it would have been like that but using country's investment fund means that they are looking at disinvestment rather than ego measuring contest with Qatar and UAE. I could be wrong though

Hawks2008

Jadon Sancho Welcome to M̶a̶n̶c̶h̶e̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ Newcastle United | 2020 | Insane Goals and Skills | Despacito(remix) | 4K

diarm

I reckon he could lured back with new owners. It seems like he's popular with the fans and he still likes the club
I've a good mate who's a Geordie and he reckons Benitez and that Amanda one have been in cahoots since the process started. That Rafa left while it was all getting sorted out but was always coming back once the deal was done.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

That's shocking stuff but not unsurprising. It's funny how easily people can be influenced.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I like Newcastle fans, really hope they don't all whitewash Saudi's appalling history.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've only just realised it's the public investment fund of Saudia Arabia involved. As it's a fund, won't they be looking at Newcastle as a profitable venture, rather than spunking millions on players like City with no thought to turning a profit?

macheda14

The fans really don’t give a feck about the ethics of this.

Alex Hurst, chair of the Newcastle United Supporters Trust and editor of the fanzine True Faith
“The involvement of Saudi Arabian wealth in the takeover is not a concern right now and ultimately any new owners will be judged like all owners are judged – by how they treat the fans and how they run the football club. Getting those two things right is the most important thing.”

Kevin Christie, writer for the fanzine the Mag
“I also understand the misgivings regarding sportswashing, but I’m willing to give the Saudi PIF the benefit of the doubt and hope that their involvement in this project hints at a willingness to change and modernise.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...a-chance-to-become-a-seriously-big-club-again

Crimson King

The fans really don’t give a feck about the ethics of this.

Alex Hurst, chair of the Newcastle United Supporters Trust and editor of the fanzine True Faith
“The involvement of Saudi Arabian wealth in the takeover is not a concern right now and ultimately any new owners will be judged like all owners are judged – by how they treat the fans and how they run the football club. Getting those two things right is the most important thing.”

Kevin Christie, writer for the fanzine the Mag
“I also understand the misgivings regarding sportswashing, but I’m willing to give the Saudi PIF the benefit of the doubt and hope that their involvement in this project hints at a willingness to change and modernise.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...a-chance-to-become-a-seriously-big-club-again
Did I miss the point in history when Newcastle were a big club?

Apart from that very short period were they came close to winning the PL but, you know, didn't...is there anything of note they've achieved?

Robertd0803

So I havent really been paying attention to this. Was it the same group from Saudi that were rumoured to be looking at buying us that ended up buying Newcastle instead?

Fingeredmouse

Apart from that very short period were they came close to winning the PL but, you know, didn't...is there anything of note they've achieved?
They've won nothing of note domestically in over 65 years but do have the 5th average attendance in England since the league began. I guess it depends what you mean by big. They're certainly, in general, well supported.
Like City, and the fanbases of virtually all clubs, if the end results are a better team, the owner's failings will be largely forgotten and generally defended. That's people and, as this thread and others prove, our fan base would be no different.

zenith

Money can bring out the worst in anyone and why should Newcastle and their fans be any different.

hp88

I like Newcastle fans, really hope they don't all whitewash Saudi's appalling history.
They could win the treble but the world will won't forget what their owners have gotten away with, no about of trophies will hide that shit.

Drifter

American
They must really hate Ashley that much. Anybody will do including Saudi's

He seems chuffed

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

They are not a big club.They are a club with a big fanbase.

pratyush_utd

So I havent really been paying attention to this. Was it the same group from Saudi that were rumoured to be looking at buying us that ended up buying Newcastle instead?
Interest in United was mainly from MBS himself as was reported. I don't remember PIF being involved. Could be wrong though

ExecutionerWasp001

They're not going to suddenly start spending £100m on players.
They will follow the exact same blueprint as City. Big spending & off the books player payments, combined with fat new sponsorship deals from Saudi. They also have the advantage of being able to learn from City's mistakes. They won't tolerate lame duck managers like Hughes, Mancini & Pellegrini. I'd imagine they'll also get the best IT security system money can buy.

AaronRedDevil

He seems chuffed

Happy for Newcastle tbh. I've watched TG for years and its depressing seeing what Mike Ashley has done to Newcaslte. No club deserved that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Not to be a pedant, but Newcastle is in north east England.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm surprised he didn't like Mike Ashley. I thought he was a big fan of getting shit on.
Oooshh.

As usual, a nice few digs at United in his video.

Also, 12 minutes of pure opinion on this and how it's going to be great to see good football again and how no atmosphere compare to St James Park.

Then in the last minute he basically dismisses anyone who'll say anything negative about the Saudi's saying we don't really know much at the moment and anything we "know" is just what we've read written by a journalist.

Stacks

In a weird way, I am excited for them.
Oooshh.

As usual, a nice few digs at United in his video.

Also, 12 minutes of pure opinion on this and how it's going to be great to see good football again and how no atmosphere compare to St James Park.

Then in the last minute he basically dismisses anyone who'll say anything negative about the Saudi's saying we don't really know much at the moment and anything we "know" is just what we've read written by a journalist.
Entire nations condemned them on the murder of a journalist but its just "paper talk"

To be fair I am excited for them. My best pal is a Newcastle fan

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Price of oil just completely, and utterly collapsed. Down to 12 dollars a barrel for this month's contract. They're gonna feel it.

Water Melon

They will do well. Saudis are in it for success and publicity, not for money. They will invest in top coaching and playing staff.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They will do well. Saudis are in it for success and publicity, not for money. They will invest in top coaching and playing staff.
How much under FFP could they actually spend though
Isnt it something like £105 million loss over 3 years max and I think some restriction on how fast wages can increase
Who Knows though ... MBS might not exactly play by the rules

pratyush_utd

Not to be a pedant, but Newcastle is in north east England.
Actually i did check Washington to make sure it is in UK and not the Washington of USA. But got the direction wrong.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Oliver Holt has rightly been called out for his blatant hypocrisy, when he has repeatedly defended or lavished praise on City's owners and defended the source of City's funding, but regards Newcastle's potential takeover as a new low for football. On top of that, late last year he also staunchly defended Eddie Hearn and Anthony Joshua for pocketing Saudi money for the re-match against Ruiz (which he was only too happy to flight out and cover).

Of course we know that he is a closet City fan, and his insistence that only supported Stockport and no-one else has been has pretty funny, alongside Alan Green's insistence that he only supported Linfield and no-one else.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He seems chuffed

I used to like the bloke but the further his channel has gone the bigger prick he's shown himself to be. He is a huge hypocrite. Talks about City a lot and how fake the club is because of the money and is quite happy to let Laurence talk about their owners and everything wrong about the regimes where they are from but of course once Newcastle are going to get an owner like this he's quite happy to be all "Oh we need to wait for more info" instead of doing the right thing and calling the owners out for the shocking things that are still allowed in their nation.

Completely agree with the comments of @Brightonian and others in this thread. I don't really like having someone like Moshiri in charge of us let alone someone of this magnitude and 'history'.

In regards to Newcastle being a big club - The bubble that they live in has made them think that they are something that they aren't. If you go to Newcastle you'll see a large majority of people with football tops of all ages and genders - more than I have seen in many other cities I've been to and I think it stems from the type of city it is. Determined, predominantly working class individuals that live life for work, football and the piss essentially. This unity and diehard attitude replicates itself in the football club as the whole city supports them. They have that mentality ingrained into them so much that they think people outside Newcastle give a feck about them when they really don't.

Oliver Holt has rightly been called out for his blatant hypocrisy, when he has repeatedly defended or lavished praise on City's owners and defended the source of City's funding, but regards Newcastle's potential takeover as a new low for football. On top of that, late last year he also staunchly defended Eddie Hearn and Anthony Joshua for pocketing Saudi money for the re-match against Ruiz (which he was only too happy to flight out and cover).

Of course we know that he is a closet City fan, and his insistence that only supported Stockport and no-one else has been has pretty funny, alongside Alan Green's insistence that he only supported Linfield and no-one else.
His stance on Liverpool told you all you needed to know about that bellend. Only cares about something when it will profit him in terms of the people at the top. Doesn't care if he looks bad to us commoners if the people above him like him sucking them off.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They will follow the exact same blueprint as City. Big spending & off the books player payments, combined with fat new sponsorship deals from Saudi. They also have the advantage of being able to learn from City's mistakes. They won't tolerate lame duck managers like Hughes, Mancini & Pellegrini. I'd imagine they'll also get the best IT security system money can buy.
No they won't and for a couple of reasons.
The first is FFP, at national level and European level. For all the shit it gets It has more teeth then given credit for.
The second is the economic situation in SA. West Texas Intermediate(WTI) crude is currently trading at just under $8 per barrell. If you think any Saudi business man will start burning hundreds of millions in a sports company that will not yield any return, you have another thing coming, never mind the national fund. Most funds will rather hold cash in this climate. Anither thing is SA are trying in a to agressively diversify. They needs .one for other things. They are comparitively a welfare state. That's why they partially listed Aramco.
Another is the political instability. MBS is a loon. Today. you're cool with him, tomorrow you're under house arrest. The Saudi official that drove through this deal could find himself out soon. That's the kind of country it is atm.
I expect them to have a decent amount of money but nowhere near what is being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.