Saul Niguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
B answers the issue within A, become a gangster.
I don't want to sabotage this post but its more complex then that. Basically the reunification of Italy was not a South Italy project. Sicily was dubbed into it and when they noticed that they were dubbed (ie all industry moved North) it was too late. Any complaints were ignored, a revolt was crushed fiercely and the Southerners resented the North because of it, which lead to resistance and developed into a sort of state within a state that survives till this very day. The mafia is known as cosa nostra which is literally translated into 'our thing'.

Italy today is a Northern Italy dominated country were politicians govern on a South that they don't understand and with a South who can't pass one occasion to screw them up.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I don't want to sabotage this post but its more complex then that. Basically the reunification of Italy was not a South Italy project. Sicily was dubbed into it and when they noticed that they were dubbed (ie all industry moved North) it was too late. Any complaints were ignored, a revolt was crushed fiercely and the Southerners resented the North because of it, which lead to resistance and developed into a sort of state within a state that survives till this very day. The mafia is known as cosa nostra which is literally translated into 'our thing'.

Italy today is a Northern Italy dominated country were politicians govern on a South that they don't understand and with a South who can't pass one occasion to screw them up.
Jesus Christ, you take things very literally don’t you? :lol:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Come a long way from wum posts about overhearing fergie's phone calls to being mr. Take myself too seriously. 15 years can do things to people.

I liked teenage you better.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Being linked very heavily with City today as Fernandinho's long term replacement

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
To all my Brooklyn...

To all my Uptown...

To all my Bronx...

To all my Queensbridge...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'll wait until Sam Lee confirms before cry wanking.

United_We_Stand

And they won't even pay his buyout clause! :(

"...While Atletico are eager to hold out for around €120m, sources said a fee of €80m would be enough to finalise a transfer..."

Robertd0803

I sigh at City making more positive additions while in a position of strength.

Nero

Yet again some people take a random media rumour as gospel when it comes to our rivals.

One shitty rumour is always taken as an official confirmation.

AgentP

City are about to get transfer banned, aren't they? If that happens, this deal even if signed can't go through. Anyway, I don't believe there is much truth to it. Saul just a year or two ago signed a 7 or 9 year contract.

Suvvernmanc

Wouldn't this further restrict Foden's chance of devolpment?
Yep, he'd be daft to stay at that club but his loyalty is blinding him.
Foden won't play alot for city regardless. But if Saul goes to city itll be to replace Ilkay Gundogan. He's been on and off and I've read that the city fans dont rate him all that highly.

Fernandinho is a number 6 and Saul plays off the left or right of a midfield 3.

Inter Yer Nan

His position is very different than Fernandinho so it's more than likely complete bollocks. Rodri would be a more believable rumor given his position on the field.

Saul would play on the right of a midfield four or the fight hand side as a box to box in a midfield three. He's not signing to be a holding midfielder or play in a two man middle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Saul is available for 80m I'd love us to nab him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t he sign some ludicrous contract with Atlético a couple seasons ago? Some 8 year contract which I don’t even think is legal.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Am I the only one who thinks he's massively overrated? Sure he's a decent player but I don't think he's good enough to improve the starting XI of most top teams. He'd be a massive downgrade on any of Fernandinho, De Bruyne or Silva imo.

Ekeke

Am I the only one who thinks he's massively overrated? Sure he's a decent player but I don't think he's good enough to improve the starting XI of most top teams. He'd be a massive downgrade on any of Fernandinho, De Bruyne or Silva imo.
He's a different type of player to each of them so I'm not sure he fits into City's current midfield model. He'd probably have to learn from Fernandinho and try to take over that role longterm, or be a player to come in for different tactics. He's not a number 10 and City play 2 of those from midfield...

sherrinford

He's a different type of player to each of them so I'm not sure he fits into City's current midfield model. He'd probably have to learn from Fernandinho and try to take over that role longterm, or be a player to come in for different tactics. He's not a number 10 and City play 2 of those from midfield...
They play as no.8s, as do Bernardo Silva, Gundogan or Foden when they come in for either of the two. Just because they played as no.10s before and are widely recognised as such doesn’t mean they can’t play another role. De Bruyne and the two Silva’s have shown themselves to be grafters as well as being as creative as they are. Saul fits into their current midfield setup, but he’s just not as good as the current starters.

Ekeke

They play as no.8s, as do Bernardo Silva, Gundogan or Foden when they come in for either of the two. Just because they played as no.10s before and are widely recognised as such doesn’t mean they can’t play another role. De Bruyne and the two Silva’s have shown themselves to be grafters as well as being as creative as they are. Saul fits into their current midfield setup, but he’s just not as good as the current starters.
No, they play as 10s. They play as far forward as Lingard does in our diamond, or when Mata plays behind the strikers. Pogba does the same thing for us.

Saul isnt a number 10 so he's not as valuable that far up the pitch. He can come up with a goal but he isnt as creative as Pogba, Silva or De Bruyne or other well known number 10s

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's no eyecatcher usually, but I think his strength lies in being pretty good at everything*, and a hard worker as well. (Might miss a weakness, I just see him from time to time.) Kind of an upgrade to what Ander Herrera is at his best, which can be extremely useful in the right setup. Not sure if City's midfield is the right setup, but Guardiola will know.

*figure of speech, you know what I mean

Ekeke

He's no eyecatcher usually, but I think his strength lies in being pretty good at everything*, and a hard worker as well. (Might miss a weakness, I just see him from time to time.) Kind of an upgrade to what Ander Herrera is at his best, which can be extremely useful in the right setup. Not sure if City's midfield is the right setup, but Guardiola will know.

*figure of speech, you know what I mean
He has a good shot and is a good dribbler, probably the two things Ander is weakest at technically. So hes not really like him. He's better going forward than Ander but not as good as number 10s who specialize in creating and scoring lots of goals. He's good for a handful of goals.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He has a good shot and is a good dribbler, probably the two things Ander is weakest at technically. So hes not really like him. He's better going forward than Ander but not as good as number 10s who specialize in creating and scoring lots of goals. He's good for a handful of goals.
Fair enough about the Ander comparison, I meant to use him as an example of an all-action type of CM: one who works hard against the ball and joins the attacking movement. I thought Saul's offensive capabilities were covered with "pretty good at everything".

Andersons Dietician

He's a different type of player to each of them so I'm not sure he fits into City's current midfield model. He'd probably have to learn from Fernandinho and gtry to take over that role longterm, or be a player to come in for different tactics. He's not a number 10 and City play 2 of those from midfield...
I would think if Pep is going after him it’d be as the eventual replacement to Fernandinho and DM is the role Saul was long touted as progressing in to from youth level and I’ll have to check but I think that is where he was playing for Rayo when Moyes was looking at him. In recent years he’s played all over the shop from RM, LM, CM, CB, LB and where ever else Simioni has wanted him.

Been a long time admirer and would have loved him here but I don’t think we currently play in a manner that would really get the best out of him where at City I could see him doing pretty well as their DM as he is good defensively but can easily break the lines with his passing or just his individual skill. He’s also the occasional goal threat.

Reports he’s fallen out with Simioni as well.

Ekeke

I would think if Pep is going after him it’d be as the eventual replacement to Fernandinho and DM is the role Saul was long touted as progressing in to from youth level and I’ll have to check but I think that is where he was playing for Rayo when Moyes was looking at him. In recent years he’s played all over the shop from RM, LM, CM, CB, LB and where ever else Simioni has wanted him.

Been a long time admirer and would have loved him here but I don’t think we currently play in a manner that would really get the best out of him where at City I could see him doing pretty well as their DM as he is good defensively but can easily break the lines with his passing or just his individual skill. He’s also the occasional goal threat.

Reports he’s fallen out with Simioni as well.
I actually watched him on his loan, and made a thread on here about him because he impressed me more than Oliver Torres who was being hyped up on here as the next big thing from Atletico.

He started off playing in midfield but actually played a bunch of games at CB too.

Here it is :

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/saúl-Ñíguez.375742/#post-17074002

Andersons Dietician

I actually watched him on his loan, and made a thread on here about him because he impressed me more than Oliver Torres who was being hyped up on here as the next big thing from Atletico.

He started off playing in midfield but actually played a bunch of games at CB too.

Here it is :

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/saúl-Ñíguez.375742/#post-17074002
Standard hype attacking players tend to get really over more functional positions. I made a thread on him as well but I was on Talking Reds before it shut down basically.

What do you think? Do you think he could do a job for us replacing Matic or would he be better as a Herrera replacement?
See I’m sort of moving to the idea of Neves with say Ndombele and Pogba just doing what he wants but I suppose Saúl could probably work in there instead of Neves.

Ekeke

Standard hype attacking players tend to get really over more functional positions. I made a thread on him as well but I was on Talking Reds before it shut down basically.

What do you think? Do you think he could do a job for us replacing Matic or would he be better as a Herrera replacement?
See I’m sort of moving to the idea of Neves with say Ndombele and Pogba just doing what he wants but I suppose Saúl could probably work in there instead of Neves.
I dont think we'll sign Saul. I feel like we'd have to overpay to convince Atletico to let him go and we wont do that.

Right now he's more suited to playing in the Ander role instead of anchoring midfield but we could train him to take over from Matic. He has more physicality for the role than Ander does although I think either of them could play it.

In fact I'd say Saul has most of Matic's skillset so if we wanted someone to take over and do what he does (better) then Saul is a good candidate. Because he's a good dribbler as well as passing and competing for the ball.

Those will be the main two negatives if we go to Ander in Matic's role. He's not as good a dribbler and Matic uses that to get out of tight spots occasionally. And he's not as physical.

Saul is an inch taller and out muscles opponents in La Liga. It'll probably be more physical in the premier league but I can say at least he wont be bullied physically.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Is fernandinho a regista?
Based on my very limited understanding of the word (understanding from the Caf :lol:). Though he’s not just a destroyer (like Makelele or Mascherano) because he’s good at quite a few things - passing/shooting amongst a few others, he’s still more of a DM than a regista. A bit like Busquets.

A regista are your Pirlos & Jorginhos and the like. Deep lying playmaker. My personal opinion is that DLP definition is so broad, Fernandinho could probably qualify as one.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Foden won't play alot for city regardless. But if Saul goes to city itll be to replace Ilkay Gundogan. He's been on and off and I've read that the city fans dont rate him all that highly.

Fernandinho is a number 6 and Saul plays off the left or right of a midfield 3.
Fernandinho used to play on the left or right of a midfield three, and Gundogan has often been Fernandinho's replacement. Saúl's versatility and Guardiola's preference for packing the midfield with as many playmakers as possible makes it entirely likely he'd often play in that deepest midfield role, in a similarly all-action fashion as Fernandinho.

NoPace

City signing Saul to take over from Fernandinho and also be in the mix at LB (when Guardiola wants a midfielder there instead of a wide crosser) makes a ton of sense.

Devil may care

Saul's release clause is ludicrous and he's neither a playmaker or a DM, not really what we need. If we are trying to do business with Atleti then it's Rodri we should be targetting.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Saul's release clause is ludicrous and he's neither a playmaker or a DM, not really what we need. If we are trying to do business with Atleti then it's Rodri we should be targetting.
Herrera's neither either, so sounds like he's the ideal replacement :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.