Schmeichel: One player is only here to promote his personal brand

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We speculate. But maybe He was trying to look 'intimidating' without any ill intent.
Like Brendan with his envelopes.

Sparky Rhiwabon

JLingz is the one with an actual brand. Which he promotes with a trademarked hand signal every time he scores.

Pogba only does normal sponsorships like every other athlete.
He doesn’t do it very often, to be fair

Handré1990

Unnecessary negativity. I want to put forward that Smikes says this to promote himself. In any case, who cares what they do beyond football? Lingard isn’t good enough for us, he doesn’t play, end of.

Beaucoup

The proper way to handle this as decent supporters and human beings is to thank Lingard for his time at United and wish him all the best at his new club. He scored some stunners for us and that spectacular goal in extra time that won us the FA cup. He’s just not a player good enough to play at a club of our stature.
Hopefully the rumour linking him to West Ham is true, they certainly have a manager daft enough to do it.

Eugenius

I think it's a lazy criticism of Lingard, if true. He's apparently been one of the fittest players post lockdown with McTominay so it's hard to say he's lacking application - he just lacks ability.

And let's not pretend that footballers don't have an incredible amount of spare time. You don't need to train more than a few hours a day. No one takes issue with Ronaldo having his own brand - underwear, gyms, hotels, Instagram sponsored posts etc you name it. Nor does it stop him being dedicated to his craft.

Players in 90s were out getting bladdered in their spare time, which was infinitely worse for their actual performances.

Langers7274

Let's be honest. Lingard was never good enough for UTD during Fergie's time due to the quality we had (and probably inexperience), as soon as our squad deteriorated he took his opportunity, his stock rose and like most footballers, found another income stream, good luck to him! As documented he's had to deal with some personal issues, tie that in with the video he shared and that seems to have created his downfall. Any footballer can make a mistake but because of his lack of form he seems to get drilled left, right and centre about his fashion brand, give the boy a break, if he's not good enough he'll be out simple!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If you play good football, your brand automatically gets recognized. Honestly should be in Jesse's best interest to play at least decent stuff to remain relevant in both aspects.

hubbuh

Unless he’s working on tshirt designs during training then no, creating a clothing brand is fine no matter your on field performances. I don’t need to perform amazingly at work to play football on Saturday. My colleague doesn’t need to perform amazingly to do his DJ sets on Saturday. Nor does Lingard need to be the best footballer ever to make some clothes. He and everyone else can do whatever the feck they want in their free time. Until he stops trying or skipping training then it doesn’t matter one bit.

Is Schmeichel a shit pundit because of his clothing choice or because he spends to much time featuring in betting ads? No, it’s because he’s just an idiot and the other stuff doesn’t affect that. He’s a cnut and shit pundit no matter what he does in his free time.
The obvious difference being Lingard plays for Manchester United, while your mate DJing at his local pub on the weekend won't attract the same kind of media attention. Optics exist in football, for better or worse.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I struggle to understand how Lingard was able to build a successful brand
Has he? Is "JLingz" a successful brand?

Good luck to the bloke if it is but I've always assumed it was a bit of a joke. Can't imagine anyone buying Jessie Lingard aftershave for someone other than to be funny.

el3mel

"Brand like Beckham" this is obviously Lingard with his stupid clothing brand.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This. Wishing him harm is way out of order, there have been scumbags on Twitter saying heinous shit.

However, Lingard deserves very harsh criticism for the way he has treated the chance to play for Manchester United. He took it for granted and I honestly think he has regressed since the last time he had any semblance of adequate form.

If Jesse still has any dignity and professional ambition left, he has to ask for a transfer and take a huge stepdown. I see only relegation battling teams being interested in buying him, don't see any club paying more than £15 million, even that is a stretch at the current times.
Why the feck would he screw himself over? He and the club entered into a mutual contract. He is well within his rights to see out the contract while going to training and fulfilling his obligations.

Also, I'm sure he's not sabotaging his performances. He's a limited player who is also unable to play his way back into good form. Happens to many players.

adexkola

Supports
The obvious difference being Lingard plays for Manchester United, while your mate DJing at his local pub on the weekend won't attract the same kind of media attention. Optics exist in football, for better or worse.
Optics matter in football because there are fans out here who care about idiotic stuff like this. If fans could collectively evolve then this wouldn't be an issue.

Has he? Is "JLingz" a successful brand?

Good luck to the bloke if it is but I've always assumed it was a bit of a joke. Can't imagine anyone buying Jessie Lingard aftershave for someone other than to be funny.
Yeah my only criticism of his brand was that it was a waste of money. I would hate to see Lingard's name on the next documentary about broke former athletes. Buy some property like Linekar instead

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah my only criticism of his brand was that it was a waste of money. I would hate to see Lingard's name on the next documentary about broke former athletes. Buy some property like Linekar instead
That's the thing. The brand isn't about money, its about ego.

dbs235

Lingard always puts effort in on the pitch and during lockdown kept himself as fit as anyone. He's not good enough for United but that's not because he doesn't want to be.

hubbuh

Optics matter in football because there are fans out here who care about idiotic stuff like this. If fans could collectively evolve then this wouldn't be an issue.
Optics matter in football because we exist in a society that treats celebrities like demigods and puts them on a pedestal, it isn't an issue exclusive to football. Celebrity worship/glorification of other humans is going to yield negative outcomes (and some positive, at times).

jeff_goldblum

I find Lingard a bit embarrassing in general, and it's a bit laughable that he's attempted to launch a massive brand off the back of his comparatively meager stature as a player, but I find it difficult to hate him for it.

As long as he gives 100% on the pitch and fulfills his contractual obligations (both of which I'm sure he does) he has every right to be here and every right to use to his status as a United player to his commercial advantage. If you don't like him being here, the person to blame would be whoever gave him the contract. If you don't like his brand, blame whoever is buying his shit.

LVGSdive

JLingz is the one with an actual brand. Which he promotes with a trademarked hand signal every time he scores.

Pogba only does normal sponsorships like every other athlete.
Jlingz isn't getting a lot of promotion if Jesse has to score to promote it.

Prodigal7

Optics matter in football because we exist in a society that treats celebrities like demigods and puts them on a pedestal, it isn't an issue exclusive to football. Celebrity worship/glorification of other humans is going to yield negative outcomes (and some positive, at times).
Exactly. You can't expect fans that pay for merch and matches, and therefore Lingards exorbitant wages, to be happy about him shamelessly plugging his "J-Lingz" brands at opportune times before matches. Videos of him rounding up 12 year olds to rev up his car on snapchat is also not something I want to see from a United player. I can't believe some people here would rather criticize a legend like Pete than call out Lingard for his performances and behaviour. Pete will only be saying what the club want him to say as an ambassador and if they've felt the need to do that interview then something is clearly wrong with Lingard. It's pretty clear to anyone who reads it:

“I’m on record for saying this a long, long time, since Ole came, that his most important job is not really to sign players, it’s to get rid of players.

“There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there.

“They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves.

“I was reading about one player trying to make themself a brand like Beckham which is shocking really. But there are players there that do not belong in the dressing room.

“And I think Ole has done really well in kind of sifting them out of the picture really, so we only get reminded that they’re there in a chat like this, or reading about the squad. I think he’s done an amazing job.”

You'd also be criticizing Ole, as Schmeichel clearly said in the interview that this player has been cut out of the dressing room by Ole in order to change the culture and create a positive atmosphere. It's pretty clear to me where fan loyalties should lie in this case, especially if he refuses to leave.

adexkola

Supports
This is also true

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

limerickcitykid

Stupid media criticism with no basis is still stupid criticism with no basis. Media attention has criticized players for buying things for their parents. That doesn’t make it valid. Nor is this in anyway valid.

PS. My colleague has toured globally as a DJ and made the UK charts, no local pubs.

limerickcitykid

He did, he made a website for it and everything. He was soon out of the first team though and it died as quick as it started.
He didn’t, show me some pictures of this underwear line.

He had a website because his adidas sponsorship dictated he have a website because that’s what people did back then. Now people post on Instagram or Twitter. Sponsors aren’t going to pay you to have no internet platform.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What does Schmeichel even know about this? Is he in touch with Ole and the team in any way, or is he just reading the same media crap that lots of people are falling for? I mean, Ole has been pretty good at getting rid of people, has commented on some individuals, and even had this quote that he rather has 'a hole than an a**hole' in the squad. So rather than believing media stories, I would assume that whoever is still there (especially after this summer), is apparently a useful addition to the squad - regardless of whatever they do in their free time. (Except if someone remains while there are clear stories that United wanted to get rid of them - like might happen with Sanchez.)

Saffron

Jlingz isn't getting a lot of promotion if Jesse has to score to promote it.

The simple fact that he could very well find himself in a position where a pass would lead to a sure goal, and shooting would be a goal 80% of the time but he gets to promote his brand, is enough to realize the potential conflicts of interest his brand could lead to.

As long as a player is under contract, his professional goals should always line up with the club completely.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Imagine being Jesse Lingard and hearing a club legend talking about him like that. :lol:

Keefy18

Jesse Lingard does not actually take part in the day to day operation of his brand. Period. His focus is on his family first, Manchester United equal first, His brand a close third as a sidethough. Now why do i know that? Because that's how life is.
I agree with some of your post but the nail in the coffin of him promoting his own brand came when he attended the launch of his clothing line in the days leading up to our humiliation at Anfield in December 2018.

He's free to promote himself no doubt, but if and when it affects performances on the pitch then it needs to be addressed. He doesn't need to be Messi as you state but when he's as poor as he has been then yeah like I say, its not good enough. Jose managed to find some form from him, so he's capable I'm sure of being a squad player if he remained focused, but hasn't.

Clearly MUFC wasn't #1 in his mind, his self promotion was.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

You shouldn't though. It's clear there's no place for him, he should do the honorable thing and move to a club where he would play. Instead it seems like he's throwing his toys out the pram, posting videos of 12 year olds revving up his car, appointing Raiola. He's pretty much declared war on the club. Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans etc had some class as a human beings.
So Lingard is waging war on the club by appointing an agent who while obviously is a nasty piece of work, also has the reputation of one of the best in the world?

Lingard’s an awful player and the only one at United atm who I dislike, but that’s too far. We can criticise him for shit performances and his childishness like all United fans including me, you and Schmikes have done. However, he’s just looking after himself by appointing someone who ensures his clients get the best deals. In fact, maybe he’s accepting that he’ll leave the club soon, so needs Raiola to continue gettimg him high wages away from United.

Raiola is a twat, pizza chef, everything. But he looks after his clients well, if nothing else, and that is undeniable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very sensible post @Tom Cato.

So many - in the sphere of the football world and fans out of it - that are totally out of touch on these subjects.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Isn't Lingard getting enough abuse already? Alright, he's not that good and he's not even playing anymore. He's not a bad person and there's been little evidence that he's been "a bad egg". Everyone that's actually worked with him has had nothing but good things to say about him on a personal level, Ole included.

He lost his place in the team because he's not productive enough on the pitch. Let's back off the guy for a bit.
I agree but I will not be satisfied until he is sold.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I struggle to understand how Lingard was able to build a successful brand. Beckham did so because he was talented, he was cute and he was a key player playing in a successful side. JLingz is nothing of that sort. It's amazing how a meah player does its very best to grab as much attention possible and to make money off the club's back. We had average players before. However the likes of Phil and OShea would work hard, do their job and hope that they just did enough to be kept for another year. Lingard is like challenging this club to sell him
Is his brand actually successful? I don't think that there have been any numbers published (since I don't think that it's a public company), but I seriously doubt that he is getting back the money that he is investing – there had been lots of cases like that. I mean, even Zlatan wasn't able to get his one going and closed it after a reported £18m loss – and he literally has a cult following all around the world. I seriously doubt that Lingard has enough of paying customers at the moment, but he certainly has enough money to sustain it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Unless he’s working on tshirt designs during training then no, creating a clothing brand is fine no matter your on field performances. I don’t need to perform amazingly at work to play football on Saturday. My colleague doesn’t need to perform amazingly to do his DJ sets on Saturday. Nor does Lingard need to be the best footballer ever to make some clothes. He and everyone else can do whatever the feck they want in their free time. Until he stops trying or skipping training then it doesn’t matter one bit.

Is Schmeichel a shit pundit because of his clothing choice or because he spends to much time featuring in betting ads? No, it’s because he’s just an idiot and the other stuff doesn’t affect that. He’s a cnut and shit pundit no matter what he does in his free time.
Top post.

limerickcitykid

I agree with some of your post but the nail in the coffin of him promoting his own brand came when he attended the launch of his clothing line in the days leading up to our humiliation at Anfield in December 2018.

He's free to promote himself no doubt, but if and when it affects performances on the pitch then it needs to be addressed.

Clearly MUFC wasn't #1 in his mind, his self promotion was.
Pogba and Lukaku were also there. It was also 6 days before the match. Do players have to lock themselves at home for the entire week before Liverpool matches? How about other matches, which ones are they allowed to go outside 6 days before?

LoneStar

Never really understood why anyone would buy footballer brands tbh. I mean forget JLingz, imagine a grown man wearing a CR7 underwear :lol:

But if I were in his place I’d probably do the same.End of the day it’s a business, and I’d want to make as much money as possible in my short career. So I absolutely have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with the way he plays on the pitch, and that’s why he needs to be sold.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

You don't need to be amazing at work, no, but you need to meet expectations. Lingard isn't doing that here.