Scholes vs Lampard vs Gerrard

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
:lol: I'm surprised it's taken so long.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I agree with Nev in that comparing them directly is pointless. Well, perhaps Lampard v Gerrard is a worthwile comparison seeing as they've made careers of being brilliant goalscoring attacking midfielders. Scholes hasn't. Sure he may have started that way but for the majority of his career he's played CM with just 1 other. Lampard and Gerrard have had the comfort of having 2 behind them for most of theirs.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm. Likhe, it's gorra be schteeevie, cos he skchooord a few impooooooTANT goals la.

ciderman9000000

Gerrard at his very best is a better player than Scholes imo. Scholes edges it for me due to outright longevity, but if it was a choice between either at their absolute peak then I'd pick Steven Gerrard every time.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Nauseating.

According to Carragher:

Gerrard > Lampard > Scholes

He came to these conclusions by citing a few individual performances, i.e. Gerrard vs Milan in Istanbul and Lampard vs Bayern in UCL final. He then said they're both 'ahead' of Scholes - completely fecking neglecting the long term contribution and consistent class Scholes brought to United: 20 years of service, countless trophies and pivotal, nay, crucial in basically everything we won in two decades. Arguably Fergie's greatest player, definitely England's greatest CM.

I know Carragher's a dipper, and fortunately the SSN poll put Scholes streets ahead of the other two, but it's depressing that players are often remembered for one-off good performances rather than what they've brought to the team over a long period.

Shithead.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Pele, Xavi, Henry, Zidane, Bobby Charlton, Guardiola, Figo, Davids and Ronaldo have all said Scholes is the best English midfielder, but who are they compared to the legend that is Carragher?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Scholes is a class above. An absolute genius. Can't say the same about the other two.

If had to make a dream midfield, scholes would be my first choice. Gerrard and Lampard would be way down the list.

finneh

I would say Scholes is ahead of Gerrard who is significantly ahead of Lampard.

To put it into perspective if Scholes were the Burj Khalifa, Gerrard would be the Empire State Building and Lampard would be Big Ben.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Christ! The more I watch of this the more I resent Carragher, who even starts arguing his invalid point with Nev.

Carragher: "If Scholes was the best English CM, why did Sven play him on the left to make way for Lampard and Gerrard in the middle?"

...because, Jamie, Sven was a fecking idiot who forced Scholes into international retirement by messing around with his position, to accommodate the Stevie and Frank midfield pair who, together, would achieve feck all for England for over a decade.

Q80

Nauseating.

According to Carragher:

Gerrard > Lampard > Scholes

He came to these conclusions by citing a few individual performances, i.e. Gerrard vs Milan in Istanbul and Lampard vs Bayern in UCL final. He then said they're both 'ahead' of Scholes - completely fecking neglecting the long term contribution and consistent class Scholes brought to United: 20 years of service, countless trophies and pivotal, nay, crucial in basically everything we won in two decades. Arguably Fergie's greatest player, definitely England's greatest CM.

I know Carragher's a dipper, and fortunately the SSN poll put Scholes streets ahead of the other two, but it's depressing that players are often remembered for one-off good performances rather than what they've brought to the team over a long period.

Shithead.
So by Carraghers logic..

Macheda is better than Rossi, Welbeck, Chicharito and countless other strikers because of that fantastic goal that tilted the premier league in our favour..

Ash_G

It is hard to compare certainly with Scholes, Gerrard and Lamps is a more reasonable comparison as they both have generally played with others covering them allowing them to push up. Comparing on goals is so stupid, you would have to argue that Lamps is better than Xavi and Pirlo by that.

Personally I would say that Scholes is the best purely because he could do their role, if we wanted to have set up as him as an a/m year in year out then I think he could have gotten 20 goals a season, maybe more as I think he would score more from open play than either of them would.

But he's spent a lot of his time deeper and I don't think either of them could play the deeper role as well. Plus there are more ways you could cover the lack of a Gerrard/Lamps either by getting a second striker in or a creator like a Silva/Mata type. There are really only a handful of players who can control a game of football at the top end of the game.

That said I would say Gerrard has greater ability to actually impact the team itself. He is the leader and is capable of driving a team forward in a way the other two can't.

That's why I've always said if I was building a team and I had to pick one it would be Scholes every time. If I needed to bring someone on to get a goal it would be gerrard.

amolbhatia50k

For me, Scholes is in the same bracket as Pirlo and Xavi.

Gerrard and Lampard would be a clear notch below width Gerrard being ahead of Lampard.

amolbhatia50k

It is hard to compare certainly with Scholes, Gerrard and Lamps is a more reasonable comparison as they both have generally played with others covering them allowing them to push up. Comparing on goals is so stupid, you would have to argue that Lamps is better than Xavi and Pirlo by that.

Personally I would say that Scholes is the best purely because he could do their role, if we wanted to have set up as him as an a/m year in year out then I think he could have gotten 20 goals a season, maybe more as I think he would score more from open play than either of them would.

But he's spent a lot of his time deeper and I don't think either of them could play the deeper role as well. Plus there are more ways you could cover the lack of a Gerrard/Lamps either by getting a second striker in or a creator like a Silva/Mata type. There are really only a handful of players who can control a game of football at the top end of the game.

That said I would say Gerrard has greater ability to actually impact the team itself. He is the leader and is capable of driving a team forward in a way the other two can't.

That's why I've always said if I was building a team and I had to pick one it would be Scholes every time. If I needed to bring someone on to get a goal it would be gerrard.
Actually if you wanted someone to get a goal it would surely have to be Lampard and not Gerrqrd given he scores more?

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Actually if you wanted someone to get a goal it would surely have to be Lampard and not Gerrqrd given he scores more?
I agree, that's one thing I'v always liked about Lampard, his ability to break late into the box and get on the end of something just like Scholes used to.

NinjaFletch

So by Carraghers logic..

Macheda is better than Rossi, Welbeck, Chicharito and countless other strikers because of that fantastic goal that tilted the premier league in our favour..

It's an absolutely rubbish argument as well because Scholes has scored crucial goals.

The absolute wonder goal vs Barcelona in the Champions League semi final, the winner vs City that all but secured the title. The goal against Newcastle in the FA Cup final to secure the treble. He's scored 100 Premier League goals for christ's sake.

Rossa

Scholes is ahead for me, and it's because of the things that Neville pointed out - those little things that are hard to see. Carrick has some of the same abilities, that you run a match without anyone really noticing. Scholes was obviously a level or two above Carrick though. Scholes had an uncanny ability to dictate play in ways that Gerrard could only dream of. Gerrard still keeps trying to run past players even though everyone else can see he no longer has the pace to do so. Scholes never relied on the physical aspect of the game. His technique was far superior to the others; if he had been Spanish, he would be regarded as good as Xavi, at least. I've never seen anyone hit 40-50-60 yard crosses like Scholes - Gerrard isn't even close. There is way too much air in those passes comparatively. Scholes more or less shot them to the wingers with inch perfect precision. His short passing in around the midfield circle really was something to behold also as he was almost impossible to steal the ball from - until he had one of his brainfarts from time to time. (Gerrard and Lampard certainly have theirs too)

Gerrard vs Lampard is a bit of a toss up. I do think Gerrard is the superior player, but Lampard certainly contributes with his goals. You might say you'd like both in your team, but honestly, you wouldn't - they are the ones to compare, not Scholes with them. To still continue to play with Lampard and Gerrard in CM is starting to get a little tedious - it used to be funny, now not so much.

Zen

Man Utd forum in shockingly over defensive stance towards Man Utd player shocker. This is why it didn't work on MNF either since both of them are higely bias.

Rossa

Gerrard at his very best is a better player than Scholes imo. Scholes edges it for me due to outright longevity, but if it was a choice between either at their absolute peak then I'd pick Steven Gerrard every time.

Why is he a better player at his very peak? In that regard you might argue that Ando is better than Carrick because he can run past players, do some flashy moves and hit a sweet strike and score a peach of a goal - Carragher should mention that in who is the best midfielder at United. What is at the very peak? Are you talking ONE match (as was Carragher's argument) or are you talking one season, two, three?

I for one think Gerrard would be the easiest of the two to replace - no doubt. I think there's a reason why Zidane and Xavi would have Scholes as their favourite midfielder of his generation - I believe Gerrard belongs there. Scholes was always more of a team player than Gerrard, which is why fewer people would notice him.

Ash_G

I'd fancy Gerrard to win me the game more than I would Lampard. If I was looking for a goal scorer in my team and I had to pick one then it would probably be Lamps as he has the proven track record but I meant someone who would come on and get me the winner/drive the team on.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scholes at his very best is perfection IMHO a once in a lifetime player!