Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

Josep Dowling

This is a load of BS and it gets trotted out too often on here. The assumption that people rate players based of nationality is disrespectful to fans and particularly said player. People want to see more of Pereira as he's impressed in the youth teams, U21s and on loan. Given that, it's understandable that people want to see him given opportunities in the first team, especially given that we lack creativity at times. Compare that to McTominay who didn’t really do much at those levels and has yet to have any loans, it’s not surprising that some are a bit more optimistic regarding Pereira. To put that down to nationality is not just lazy but somewhat xenophobic.
I wouldn’t say Pereira was particularly impressive on loan or when he’s been given opportunities this season. I don’t see why there is so much hype around him.

Patrick08

Bollocks.

We’re not signing players because we don’t have a manager. The players we’d likely want to sign are not feasible in January either. Take off your tin foil hat.
That's where a sporting director acts, where the club don't switch off. It will take months and months for the club to get one. We turn like Titanic. Take ages to turn course.

AshleyDevil

I don't see what people have seen from him to think this is a good idea? I'm all for promoting youth but I just don't see anything with Mctominay.

Snafu17

That's where a sporting director acts, where the club don't switch off. It will take months and months for the club to get one. We turn like Titanic. Take ages to turn course.
It has been a month. It'll take at least another one. Panicking because we haven't instantly install a new DoF is dumb. They're not just laying around.

Revan

Assumptionman
Barca sign De Jong.
We re-sign Scot McT.

CFC desperately need a striker. They sign a striker.
We desperately need a CB. We prefer to save money.

One of the richest clubs in the World and we are saving money like a Championship club.
Very frustrating.

I knew this was coming in Summer 2018 - the lack of signings had nothing to do with Jose's targets being unsuitable, but simply an exercise in penny pinching, so the Glazers could pocket a big bonus.
Saying bullshit repeatedly doesn't make it less shit.

The financial books are open for anyone to see. The dividend they get has been stable for the last 5 years or so, without increases regardless if we penny pitched or we spent like a drunken sailor.

If/when the dividend increases (which is the only way Glazers get money from us), then your opinion can be justified. So far, every indication has been that they care much about the stock price than the dividend.

Revan

Assumptionman
We’re not signing players “Incase the new manager doesn’t fancy them”

But we’re happy to hand out new contracts and increased wages to Smalling, Young and McTalentless...

Cause every manager would love those guys, right?
McTominay most likely is on some small salary and will go to loan. At the worst case, we can get a few million from him...providing that he is under contract.

Smalling is probably our best CB and we can easily get 30m from him if we decide to sell him...again, providing that he is under contract.

Young will get a one-year extension. If the new manager doesn't fancy him, hardly a big deal, we take a small loss for that year and that's it.

Web of Bissaka

As long as he doesn't go to the Clev route.

Not a bad extension, basically 3 years and half a month.

Definitely a low wage, and enough time for him to either improve/mature to be a better useful player we can use, or somehow turn rubbish which we can then sell within those time-frame.

Pretty sure I recall he was almost leaving to join another club before Jose took faith in him. Finding a club for him to sell won't be a problem. He's a national team player also helps now. A big if this bs happens of course. Hope not.

dogwithabone

Best midfielder of his generation!! Not a chance. He was a good player that had one truly great season

That’s your opinion and fair enough but I’ll side with SAF on this one. He was the player Fergie turned to in the big games and considering we were dominant in that generation, yes, I’m calling him one of the very best in that era. He was Fabregas’ nemesis at a time when he was being lauded as among the best in the world.

He had fantastic energy, could time a tackle like few others and had that right time right place sense of positioning. Grounded and humble too and although that’s nothing to do with his football it rounds him off as a character.

Pavl3n

this thread is a fun read just 10 months later...
I think it was a fun read even back then.

He's a captain material in my opinion.

Mourinho gave him a chance and he's made the best of it and the best of the current situation. Yes, Matic is no longer the Matic from 2 seasons ago and Pogba is constantly injured and there's no one else to slot in, but he's giving his best and still learning. He'll come good and will be a long servant.