Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

Sir Scott McToMinay

From what I’ve seen so far, he’s a more useful player than Fred and Andreas Pereira.
I don’t care how they’ve performed in other leagues and for other clubs.
The criticism he’s getting reminds me so much of the criticism towards Fletcher pre 2008.

Dante

Average bang
It's impossible to get the ball off him without fouling him. The sign of a top class player.

Bear in mind that he grew 10 inches only 18 months ago. Once he fills out his new frame, he'll have the strength to be even better. It's also evident that he's a hard worker and a student of the game who'll take on board all the lessons he's given about how to keep the flow moving in midfield. That'll take him a long way, too.

Two different coaching teams see a player in him, and they've watched McTominay at much closer quarters than anyone here. His passing was noticably better in his first few outings, but he's become more conservative in recent matches. I think he's been given instructions to recycle possession, which doesn't help him truly express himself. It's like Pogba under Mourinho.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Can't say I rate him at all but. But then again it's not as if we are all that well stocked with CMs. Pereira and Fellaini will both likely be gone during the Summer and Fred hasn't settled yet. We will need to sign at least one more CM as if stands. No harm in giving Scott a bit longer to see how he develops i guess.

Pretty much the same way I see it as well.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
God forbid a child who grew up playing for United and sacrificed a lot gets a reward in the form of monetary payment.
Probably gonna go bankrupt, and for what? To give a kid a cushion for him and his family. WOOOODWARD!

RyRy11

Not hugely impressed with what I’ve seen from him yet, he needs more game time under a manager that isn’t Mourinho for us to get a true idea of his ability.

So far he can do a job and it’s great to be promoting young British talent.

OldPop

It's impossible to get the ball off him without fouling him. The sign of a top class player.

Bear in mind that he grew 10 inches only 18 months ago. Once he fills out his new frame, he'll have the strength to be even better. It's also evident that he's a hard worker and a student of the game who'll take on board all the lessons he's given about how to keep the flow moving in midfield. That'll take him a long way, too.

Two different coaching teams see a player in him, and they've watched McTominay at much closer quarters than anyone here. His passing was noticably better in his first few outings, but he's become more conservative in recent matches. I think he's been given instructions to recycle possession, which doesn't help him truly express himself. It's like Pogba under Mourinho.
Stick with you, I think he can develop from what I have seen of him. But how much he will develop, no one can know for sure, except for a part here on the forum.

The club management seems to believe in him either as a player in some role or as a possible source of income. And reasonably they should know it better than anyone else.

In Rainbows

God forbid a child who grew up playing for United and sacrificed a lot gets a reward in the form of monetary payment.
Probably gonna go bankrupt, and for what? To give a kid a cushion for him and his family. WOOOODWARD!
He probably is already making 1mil in salary. A cushion?

Owen06

I don't know how to view this, he's obviously an average player, unlike Pereira and Fred he prefers safe passing and knows how to keep things tidy.

I guess this new contract ain't so bad considering Fred is yet to settle, Pereira ain't British and fellaini is injured,all things considered we could use him as the season progress but I hope he's loaned out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People who are against this don't understand how cheap this is. He's familiar with the squad and the club, plays a position that we don't have a lot of players for and with a contract that's not over in 1 year he can be sold for a better fee if a club wants to buy him.

Tony Babangida

I expect the same people that dislike McTominay wouldn’t have liked Darren Fletcher. Neither is a flashy player both do the simple thins well.

He deserves a chance to prove himself. Would be useful to have a reliable backup for CM. He’s got Carrick coaching him, hopefully he learns a thing or two.

Fridge chutney

We as a club cannot bleat on about the United way and our traditions and then just throw McTominay out. He had good games against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool last year, people seem to forget.
To be fair, if the reactionary forum had its way, we'd have gotten rid of Pogba, Martial and Rashford long ago when they went through rough patches of form.

God forbid any of our academy products aren't world class straight away!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

So all those ads on my browser aren't lying?? It is possible? :O

staniswin

Absolutely buzzing. He will be useful for us , much more useful than Pereira. United future captain.

Last edited:

King.of.Red

Well, I'm sure Ole & his coaching team have their own assessments about Scott talent and quality to stay at United. So I only wish he can be very good & useful player for United. Good luck, Scott!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
i remain hopeful about him because last season I think we saw his maturity in some of the matches he played. This season he was fecked over by Mourinho for his personal agenda.
But the same players some of whom I wanted gone, like Martial and Pogba have turned up to be remarkable players. even Rashford looked very unsure of himself, though obviously gifted. Ole has made the entire squad show their true potential.

If as said above he is being given a contract extension, the key people must have seen good things in him. Hope he makes it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I strangely like the young Scott. He just need a bit more aggressive, and I think he'll be, at least, a good squad player.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Don't know his wages, but purely from a squad perspective I can't see a reason not to keep him for at least a few years more and see how he develops.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he ever make it here, Matic will be his top level.

And also this is what we should do, don’t spend crazy money for backup players, use our own player is cheaper than getting someone who is average or probably won’t play that much.

Andersonson

Nah. He's crap.
A supporter who dont support a youth product from our own ranks, and he has never done anything to piss of a supporter. Not telling you to be over the moon, but being a toxic plastic fan doesnt bring anything to the discussion.

I have faith in Ole and Fergie. They both praise the lad. Give him time!

SER19

Token academy player to throw in the squad so the club can keep crowing about that 70-80 year old record.

He is fecking dreadful.
Yep this is it. Because we dont have any youth players in our set up or coming through one of the biggest clubs in the world has decided to give a 4 year contract to the first guy they saw.

Not just this post but the state of this thread :lol: but but but it was just the previous managers that made us moan about absolutely everything

reelworld

Weird reactions on how a youth player signed a new contract. My guess is that McTominay is killing it in training and showed good character throughout his time with the first team. And management must think he still got a few levels he can improve on. If those are true, I think United are setting a precedent that if you show enough talent and character, they're gonna reward and give you a chance. Even if you don't show it enough in first team matches yet. Would be a great boost to every young player trying to make it at United, and good advertisement for youth player who can choose whether to sign with United or other clubs.

gajender

If he ever make it here, Matic will be his top level.

And also this is what we should do, don’t spend crazy money for backup players, use our own player is cheaper than getting someone who is average or probably won’t play that much.
It seems you don't rate him but still think his top level could be like Matic's, so much contradiction peak Matic was a beast he was mainstay for two premier league winning teams if Scott ever reaches that level we would have some player on our hand.

quackattack

He isn't a world beater, and perhaps he won't be either. However, he usually puts in a good shift, is good in the air, and academy player (for all that it's worth). But the real quality (right now) is that he is versatile, and while that in itself isn't a plus, any team needs a reliable squad player that is versatile. Young can't play forever you know:)

And still only in his early 20's, so maybe one day he will become really good, who knows?

Hawks2008

Such a nothing player, the club surely knows this and the contract is purely to ensure we get a fair price when he is eventually moved on.

Tony247

He keeps things simple
He doesn't make mistakes
He doesn't concede possession
He provides aerial cover

Above qualities are important when we want to hold on to what we got and come home. Good to have such player around, and he is home grown too.

Notice he will be on bench against big teams waiting to come on for security.

ship50

Some players who lack super talent can make up for that with their hard work, commitment and 'keep it simple' approach. They won't command staggering fees or hog media limelight but would do their job. Every team needs such players. No harm in keeping him for a few more years to see how he develops. At least it will save money of a backup/squad player. I find him decent enough to be used when needed. Good decision by club.

Thiagoal

The coaches can obviously see a real player in Scott! The exact same discussions occurred fifteeen years ago with Fletcher when he suddenly had a massive breakthrough and became one of my favourite players. I get the feeling one massive performance could really change our perceptions and his career.

Ban

A supporter who dont support a youth product from our own ranks, and he has never done anything to piss of a supporter. Not telling you to be over the moon, but being a toxic plastic fan doesnt bring anything to the discussion.

I have faith in Ole and Fergie. They both praise the lad. Give him time!
A toxic plastic fan? :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure why he is getting so much shit, it's not like he will be on huge wages. He will sign extension and good chance he will go out on loan. Considering the prices paid for average players, if he impresses then we will get good money.

Gone are the day when we have to fear that he might be played because of his height. We don't have Jose anymore and we can relax.

crossy1686

career ending
United aren't a charity. Why not use this logic for every youth player? And all this talk of him growing, means what exactly? With Rashford, he grew which aided his technical ability as he was a former attacking midfielder. With McTominay? He doesn't have some technical ability worth believing in, a passing ability worth believing in, or defensive ability worth believing in.

Besides, he had 2.5 years left on his contract.
Why don't you tell me how 45 minutes under a new manager is any barometer to judge a youth player that has managed, against the odds, to break into the first team. Who said anything about being a charity? Someone at United thinks he's good enough to have some contribution so it's irrelevant what you think about him or his ability. No one is saying he's going to be the next Pogba but people really need to get over Mourinho.

Gordon S

Just tells you how difficult it is to spot talent. There are obviously a few important and intelligent people at the club that really rates the guy.

For me, i just can't see it. Looks fairly average even in youtube comps.

But having said that, i rather we play him than Fellaini.

Manowar

45 minutes under a new manager and that's your conclusion? Stellar support on your behalf. Well done.
You rate him, many others don't. That has nothing to do with our love and support for the club.
I watched him many times in the youth team and PL games, everything screams mediocrity, from his positioning, passing, vision, defensive skills... Would he even get a game for Wolves?
Still, as he has already signed on, hope he can develop into somewhat a decent player.. not just another Gibson and Cleverley.