Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why you laughing at him?

The guy is as limited as they come and we're in a position where we need to ship out a shit load of limited players, never mind secure their services... So what's funny about someone not agreeing the decision?

In fact, pretty much everyone here says he only became part of the first team, as a token gesture on Mourinho's part... Now he's gone, it's a different story?

Why is that?

Maybe he'll prove me and others wrong and become a world class player.. Stranger things have happened...

Maybe we've signed him to a contract because we don't have plans to sign anyone this month or in the summer? Back to the value era...

Who knows?
Did you even read the post I quoted before going on this weird rant?

That poster was saying that he was given a new contract just so we can extend our 70-80yr old record of having an academy graduate in the squad, that reasoning makes no sense considering the likes of Lingard, Pogba and Rashford look set to be here for quire sometime.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jesus, he needs to hit the weights.
Indeed. Because we need another wrestler in the team.
After a year of hardcore training, he and Lukaku could form a tag team. We'd have the 2 heaviest footballers in the EPL, who can't play for more than 10 minutes, without looking completely gassed.

Body-wise he is exactly what the EPL demands - slim and athletic. The issue is that he doesn't possess the skills good enough to play at a top club. His managers/coaches love him, though. So maybe, he is from the same school of Fellaini?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Maybe we've signed him to a contract because we don't have plans to sign anyone this month or in the summer? Back to the value era...

Who knows?
I said this back in the Summer, that Woodward needed to balance the books. He is trying to make savings this fiscal year, which is why he pulled the plug on transfers this season. It had nothing to do with him not liking Jose's targets. He simply did not want to spend and so kept his head down during the transfer window, while passing off the likes of a £19M teenager and a 35 year old GK, as "signings".

Hopefully, next season, we will spend, though what worries me is that we our squad remains bloated with too many (deadwood) players.
MCFC, allowed their deadwood players' contracts to expire, which allowed them to buy useful players. We, on the other hand, are hanging onto the deadwood, which will prevent us from buying more players (unless we sell the deadwood, which we can't seem to do).

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I like it. We don't want to create a culture where we ship out young players like McTominay immediately after they have disappointed a bit. It sets a bad precedent for other more talented youngsters coming up if they think they will just get sold if they aren't making it immediately. No need for that, we need to show faith but if it happens that he doesn't improve he will leave for loan.

Silas

Don't see the point if he had three years left on his current contract.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Where are all the Fletcher comparisons coming from? Apart from the fact they are vaguely visually similar as gangly, pasty white guys?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not convinced by him. Maybe the DM holding role may suit him.

Strikes me as another Tom Cleverly.

Red00012

Don’t see why people are so upset about resigning a squad player who came through the youth system. If anything in the next few windows we can sell for a decent fee. If solanke is worth 19 mill we’ll surely get 20 mill for him if it doesn’t work out.

Dante

Average bang
I said this back in the Summer, that Woodward needed to balance the books. He is trying to make savings this fiscal year, which is why he pulled the plug on transfers this season. It had nothing to do with him not liking Jose's targets. He simply did not want to spend and so kept his head down during the transfer window, while passing off the likes of a £19M teenager and a 35 year old GK, as "signings".

Hopefully, next season, we will spend, though what worries me is that we our squad remains bloated with too many (deadwood) players.
MCFC, allowed their deadwood players' contracts to expire, which allowed them to buy useful players. We, on the other hand, are hanging onto the deadwood, which will prevent us from buying more players (unless we sell the deadwood, which we can't seem to do).
He must have been gutted when he realised he'd accidentally signed a £50m Brazilian international.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Where are all the Fletcher comparisons coming from? Apart from the fact they are vaguely visually similar as gangly, pasty white guys?
They’re both Scottish central midfielders who played for Manchester United after coming up through the academy, presumably. Not exactly a long list of players you can say that about.

haram

At least he can do the basics right, something even our 50 million pound man Fred is struggling with. Give the lad a chance.

Literally don't see the point of him, not his fault but he's not good enough

Is it only because he's coming from the youth academy that we are keeping him?
He’s far down the pecking order and he has given us some good performances, we are not losing anything.

R'hllor

Regardless of opinions when it comes to McT, do people want us to spend money even on lower levels of squad players? This is not a dig at Fred but at this moment, in his current form, is there huge difference? Last time i saw posts how people hope Fred to restart, regain form etc. but thats a hope and we paid money for him.

Have similar view when it comes to TFM or Axel, personally dont rate Darmian in England at all and good luck to him, he will probably look way better in Italy where he feels at home, rather see TFM taking his spot on lower wages and invest difference towards first XI RB.

Sparky Rhiwabon

They’re both Scottish central midfielders who played for Manchester United after coming up through the academy, presumably. Not exactly a long list of players you can say that about.
Makes about as much sense as the Keith Gillespie / George Best comparisons I guess

Acole9

Outstanding
Get in! Was getting worried he might leave. Future United captain.

Sauldogba

if its true that he had three years on his contract already this is yet ANOTHER stupid contract decision our club has made.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well off standard at the moment, but who knows with a run of games in say the championship to get more experience.

As long as haven't put him on a ludicrous deal of 50k a week for four years and have no escape plan if he doesnt make it

ice-bionic red

I’m all for promoting youth and extending contracts.... when they are good enough.

Silly decision. Not good enough for us.

RD76

I'm pleased, personally. Get the lad out on loan to a club who'll look after him.

Ridiculous reaction on here. We're upholding our traditions, you should be proud, not slagging people off.

haram

We as a club cannot bleat on about the United way and our traditions and then just throw McTominay out. He had good games against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool last year, people seem to forget.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It can only be good news in my opinion.

Could turn out to be a good squad player or we'll sell him for £10m+.

Needs a good loan to prove himself though - not going to get the required game time to learn his craft.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
All our players were not performing to their potential under Mourinho.
If his contract has been extended it is because Ole and his team see potential in him.
I expect he and Fred may play against Burnley.
I want to see how he does with Ole.

Litch

No problems with the club traditions of promoting youth but they still have to be a decent player. Said it before, if he played for Cardiff, Utd are not looking to 'steal' him from them even on a free. Seems like a nice lad but honestly, I have no idea what his best qualities are aside from being tall.....

AndyJ1985

People go on about our tradition of promoting youth, but it's not simply promoting youth, it's promoting youth players who are good enough. McTominay is rubbish. I see no point in giving out contracts to rubbish players as if we're handing out sweets. It's why we're lumbered with so many poor players who we struggle to move on.

Camilo

Don't see the point if he had three years left on his current contract.
Probably something to do with valuing employees. He'll have been on next to nothing and is heavily involved these days. Damn right he should be well paid for his time.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Absolute Joke, rewarding mediocrity.

Should’ve been the first out of the door. Another piece of deadwood we will never be able to shift.

Based Adnan

At least there were some encouraging signs with Lingard, I fail to see anything from McTominay to suggest he's premier league level, let alone United level. I hope I'm wrong but he needs to head out on loan and get some games at his age.
I don't remember Lingard playing well in massive games like Liverpool, Chelsea, and Sevilla away before he had his proper breakout under LVG. You can say he was more hyped in the academy but McTominay has done more than Lingard did for the first team before he had his big break.

RedDevil-85

Dont really understand what Scott has done to deserve a new contract.
Would have liked to see him do more before getting rewarded like this.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't remember Lingard playing well in massive games like Liverpool, Chelsea, and Sevilla away before he had his proper breakout under LVG. You can say he was more hyped in the academy but McTominay has done more than Lingard did for the first team before he had his big break.
McTominay was only in those games for Jose to show up the board for not getting him a center back. He's a human embodiment of a protest vote.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What a weird reaction to this news. Even if we put to one side that McTominay is obviously a capable Premier League player, we're simply protecting our asset.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Did you even read the post I quoted before going on this weird rant?

That poster was saying that he was given a new contract just so we can extend our 70-80yr old record of having an academy graduate in the squad, that reasoning makes no sense considering the likes of Lingard, Pogba and Rashford look set to be here for quire sometime.
So my post was weird?

How so?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
A lot of you are being to harsh. We've had plenty of players that have grown into their roles. I remember everyone ripping into Fletcher for years. How he wasn't United quality. Then he became very very good and if not for that illness robbing us we'd have had a hell of a midfielder in his prime.

Bwuk

For the 2 deepest midfielder options we have;

Matic - getting older.
Herrera - could leave at end of the season if we don’t renew.
Fellaini - will leave at end of this season or maybe even this window.
Andreas - out of contract in summer and will leave.
Fred - debatable quality.

We could be left with only 2 or 3 of them come the end of the summer window, and we have a bunch of positions we need to sign players in. Fullbacks, CBs and a RW. If we wanted a squad player to come in and cover it’d cost 20m.

I’m fine with McTominay staying. He’s going to only ever provide depth unless he improves.

crossy1686

career ending
The amount of youth players that go through the United ranks and never make a first team appearance for the club is staggering. Yet these players go on to prop teams up in every division in the English league and some abroad.

If anyone has seen 'Sunderland til I die', Chris Coleman signs Ashely Fletcher, an ex United youth, in times of utter turmoil at Sunderland. You know what the players who played with him previously said after the signing? "He's got character. Anyone that comes through United is a good lad, they're good people there".

Every now and again, once every couple of years, we're lucky enough for one of our youth players to be deemed good enough by the staff and break through into the first team and get some game time. We're talking about playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and holding your own here, against players that treat the game as their cup final.

Despite all this, some of you in here are wanting a player that's not only one of our own, but also managed to defy the odds and play in United's first team and look fairly comfortable at the same time, to be sold or released by the club. It's fecking disgraceful to be honest and I'm ashamed to have to stand by you as a United fan.

He's a young lad and will only get better. There's not a single one of us in here who wouldn't give anything to be in his position so stop with the melodrama and show some fecking support to a player that's one of our own.

Silas

Probably something to do with valuing employees. He'll have been on next to nothing and is heavily involved these days. Damn right he should be well paid for his time.
341 minutes in over half a season doesn't exactly scream heavy involvement.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s the luckiest man in Britain. Genuine lottery winner.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The look on Ole’s face there says it all. The look on Scott’s face is eerly similar to someone who has just won the lottery.

What a joke