Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I can’t get behind this decision.
You need to write a strongly worded letter mate. The board need to know how you feel before they extend any more contracts.

As for Scott, I'd like to see him go out on loan this month, dont think he's going to develop much sitting on our bench and just getting occasional minutes here and there.

Bola

Ive liked what i've seen from him so far.

Unlikely to be a superstar, but should be a good squad option for the club. Rather we have these lads than 'filler' players brought in to pad out the squad (e.g. Zappacosta, Danilo)

Only question mark is how much is his wage. It should reflect a developing player and not mega bucks

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If Celtic still want him next season that would be an amazing loan for all concerned

Smores

Should be out on loan next season, let's see where he is after a season of playing football.
Very high chance he'll be sold after but that's the process with these kids, he'll end up at Stoke at some point

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm surprised the site hasn't crashed yet. Scotty McT is destined to be the next Carrick/Rooney in the hate stakes

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Token academy player to throw in the squad so the club can keep crowing about that 70-80 year old record.

He is fecking dreadful.
We wouldn't really need him to be a token academy player when we have 3 academy players starting every game already.

Him re-signing isn't the worst thing in the world, we're just doing it to protect his value. I doubt he's gonna be on a wage that cripples our wage structure.

Tarrou

I think he's done enough to get this contract. Sure he's probably not a guaranteed starter here anytime soon, if ever, but he could make himself a good squad player with a bit of time.

It's not like he'll be on massive wages.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
While I still don't know what he offers, all that matters is the people who should know have decided he's worth an extension. As others have mentioned, he'd benefit going on loan when not playing much here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He will perform Fellaini's role ie a tall defensive minded player to throw around when we need to close the gaps. He's younger, he's cheaper and he's got far more fuel in the tank then the Belgian does.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
His existing contract ran till 2021. So bit early from our standards to renew so early, especially when he hasn't done anything outstanding. Anyways, hopefully he develops and improves to become a good squad option.

Wayne's World

Literally don't see the point of him, not his fault but he's not good enough

Is it only because he's coming from the youth academy that we are keeping him?

Alemar

Very sound decision from the financial standpoint. Now we can sell him for a significantly higher fee (and if we let him go on loan this transfer window for a few months, perhaps his transfer value will also increase as a result should he play regularly).

Also, now (that the work on this contract is finished) they should progress on prolongation agreements for DDG, Pogba, Martial and Herrera

youmeletsfly

I'm not against him signing a new contract, but he needs games. A loan to another EPL team or Championship would be good for him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We could sell him to Celtic for £20m in a couple of years.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
At the very least he's going to be sold for a few quid. I don't mind the deal.

I just hope we get Mata, De Gea and Herrera sorted or there will be a fecking meltdown!!

prateik

He is going to get better.. Clearly the coaches rate him.
If Fellaini is staying, hope he goes out on loan to get some minutes

kundalini

I think McTominay may become a good player in time. It is easy to assume young players will develop their skills over time, minimise some of their weaknesses, some do, some don't. My record on predicting futures is far from perfect; I expected Januzaj to become an outstanding player, that hasn't happened yet.

I thought Scott performed very well against Liverpool last season and did a decent job against Chelsea and Sevilla. He was fine in the Benfica CL match, Bournemouth and Huddersfield in the PL, struggled against Palace. Good game against Swansea in the League Cup last season, not great against Bristol City. FA Cup games fairly ordinary. This season, played well against Southampton.

The aspect that confuses me is that in October 2017 McTominay signed a contract taking him up to summer 2021 with United having a one-year option, so it was hardly urgent that we make a decision, and this new deal will probably have minimal impact on his transfer value.

He should get more opportunities once Fellaini and Matic have departed. His height will be of more value when the squad isn't so packed with tall players.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good, either he'll make it, our someone will pay £5-£10 million for him.

Anyone who is annoyed at this needs their heads checking.

Devil may care

People with the idea that fans that don't rate him are missing something need to remember theat we have held onto average Academy players for too long before, the likes of Gibson, Cleverley and Welbeck for example. To be honest I thought he already signed a deal last season, just a waste of time ultimately but as long as we put him out on loan with a view to selling him then no biggie.

pauldyson1uk

Scott McNothing. He wouldn't fit in at Wolves. I dont care if he is our Youth player. Keane was our youth player. McNair. Blackett. All dross who are not good enough. Its funny how Edward Woodward believes he knows enough about football to hand out contracts but when it comes to making new signings he wants to wait until we get a new manager. The leeches at the top are loving this. OGS in charge and our fans thinking promoting 18 year olds and handing out contracts to dross will win us a title. OGS could be the right man but some of you suffer with delusions. 'if they're good enough they're old enough'. The class of 92 had ready made stars in the squad to guide them. Who do we have? Come the summer and we only sign two players from these positions CB, DM, Fullback and a RW because we have 'youth'. We have Mctominay for DM. Chong for RW. Tuanzebe back for CB. Laird for RB. These excuses from our own fans play into the glazernomics.
Chill man, I don't think he is good enough, but makes sense to tie him down, give the lad a chance , if he does improve Iam happy to be wrong, if not we sell him for a decent fee.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People with the idea that fans that don't rate him are missing something need to remember theat we have held onto average Academy players for too long before, the likes of Gibson, Cleverley and Welbeck for example. To be honest I thought he already signed a deal last season, just a waste of time ultimately but as long as we put him out on loan with a view to selling him then no biggie.
I mean if we get £16m for McTominay that would be something.

PoTMS

What the heck? Why? His existing contract had 3 years to run. Add another to the long list of first team deadwood. He would struggle to get into Huddersfield's first XI. Something seriously wrong with the moneymen who sort out our contracts at the club.

Tarrou

What the heck? Why? His existing contract had 3 years to run. Add another to the long list of first team deadwood. He would struggle to get into Huddersfield's first XI. Something seriously wrong with the moneymen who sort out our contracts at the club.
If we loan him out for a year, and he just does okay, then we can sell him for more than the value of his wages. And an even better scenario is he comes back a good squad player.

Makes sense no?

Dante

Average bang
I think McTominay may become a good player in time. It is easy to assume young players will develop their skills over time, minimise some of their weaknesses, some do, some don't. My record on predicting futures is far from perfect; I expected Januzaj to become an outstanding player, that hasn't happened yet.

I thought Scott performed very well against Liverpool last season and did a decent job against Chelsea and Sevilla. He was fine in the Benfica CL match, Bournemouth and Huddersfield in the PL, struggled against Palace. Good game against Swansea in the League Cup last season, not great against Bristol City. FA Cup games fairly ordinary. This season, played well against Southampton.

The aspect that confuses me is that in October 2017 McTominay signed a contract taking him up to summer 2021 with United having a one-year option, so it was hardly urgent that we make a decision, and this new deal will probably have minimal impact on his transfer value.

He should get more opportunities once Fellaini and Matic have departed. His height will be of more value when the squad isn't so packed with tall players.
He grew 10 inches only a couple of years ago.

McTominay's progress will be unlike anyone the Caf has ever seen... which isn't to say he'll turn into a world beater or anything. But what he will turn into is not something anybody here is able to predict with any confidence. His physical changes are too unusual for that.

The echo chamber of posters calling him a 'nothing player' is somewhat disheartening. I assume it's informed by videogames/Twitter, because what he's shown on the pitch hasn't warranted that level of vitriol as you've explained.
The management must rate him.

Irwin99

The last game I watched him in was the FA cup tie and he got a good number of interceptions and tackles in but he lacked authority when it came to passing the ball. It’s hard to know what to make of him to be honest. Don’t think he’s nearly as bad as people make out.

PoTMS

If we loan him out for a year, and he just does okay, then we can sell him for more than the value of his wages. And an even better scenario is he comes back a good squad player.

Makes sense no?
Don't agree. His existing contract ran out in 2021. And regardless, we're not Bournemouth or Newcastle, trying to make a quick buck. He's shite, let's be honest with ourselves, and has shown none of the qualities - on the pitch anyway - that would make you think he has a future here. You can't even point at him and say he has potential. He's barely a Premier League footballer. There's players in the reserves/U18s I would prefer getting game time over him. Rewarding mediocrity like McTominay is how we've got ourselves in such a precarious predicament.

Roboc7

His contract had plenty of time left so bit strange, maybe he is due to go on loan so wanted long term contract in case he does well to maximise sell on value. Have to wonder who is making these kind of decisions.

He seems happy only playing handful of games so is ideal as a backup, not seen anything to suggest anything more than that at this time, even Mourinho who lavished him with praise rarely played him.

Zlatattack

Personally I don't see it. He doesn't seem to excel in anything, but why not let him go on loan for 18 months and see what becomes of it.