Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

Red Star One

Much better than letting him leave on free, surely most of the Caf agrees?
Still believe he has a role to play. Capable backup who can only get better. Good luck Scott.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Meh, we were never going to allow his contract run out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Meh, we were never going to allow his contract run out.
Is the be all and end all.

In today’s market, there is a good chance we might get £25m for him in a season or two.

Or he might go on to do a Darren Fletcher and become a key squad player.

billybee99

Matic was playing for Vitesse at 22 and 4 years away from a move back to Chelsea.

The way the market is right now, him signing a contract guarantees us £15m.

Even if he never makes it its a good decision.

We need to monetise our academy if we can’t develop first team talent. We have more ex youth players playing professionally than any other side. That should be a source of pride.

It’s so hard in this day and age to produce top talent. But producing 5 C/PL level players and using their sale values to finance the first team squad is great.

Edit : Wages should always be sensible. We have absolutely fcuked that up in the last 5 years.
You are delusional if you think that he is worth £15 and even more delusional if you think that the 22 year old Matic playing at Vitesse wasn't 10 times the player McTominay is right now.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You are delusional if you think that he is worth £15 and even more delusional if you think that the 22 year old Matic playing at Vitesse wasn't 10 times the player McTominay is right now.
Ok. I’ll bite. You don’t believe that Scott will be either transferred for £15m or have 25 appearances for us inside 3 years? (The latter would obviously be worth £15m to us)

Matic was used as a broad strokes comparison. He was nothing special there. Let’s not pretend he was.

reddaz71

Not surprised at all, the Glazers would prefer to gamble with what we've got than spend on quality, when will the most blinkered of fans actually wake-up and smell the coffee? The club is first and foremost a business and the owners will do everything they possibly can to save money for themselves rather than invest! Don't be surprised if the likes of Young, Jones and Valencia and even Matic get extended contracts!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
May I ask why you think it’s a good decision? Not being funny, just curious as to what people that rate him believe he offers to us long or short term. I guess we can give him the benefit under a new manager but based on what he’s shown thus far, I can’t get behind this decision.
So that we don't lose him for cheap at the very least.

Plus players in his position take time to develop. I've seen enough that I'm willing to see the club try and develop him. Even if it entails sending him out on a season long loan.

reddaz71

Investing in youth? Not with this one am afraid, like Smalling recently and others to come the owners doing the maths and prefer to go with what we've got rather than invest in better quality!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why? He is a Sunderland player. He will end up there. I promise. Future people reading this old thread, I told you so. McTominay is playing for Sunderland in the Championship now, I saw this yeah.

reddaz71

Bigger picture emerging from this and Smalling deal is the club won't be signing any new players in the summer!

binary bot
Is this the first ever 'young player getting fouled' compilation?

His ability on the ball is far from that of a top club, can only see him excelling in the role that he played vs Liverpool last year. It's harmless extension. No massive downside to it.

RedDevil5

He's not good enough for United. If he was a Wolves youth academy prospect we bought a couple years ago, no one would want him. If you like a stiff player that is able to pass five yard passes backwards, you are happy with this news.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for the guy. He seems a good person, but he is not good enough for this club. That is all. Not his fault the club are offering him this.

Is this the first ever 'young player getting fouled' compilation?

His ability on the ball is far from that of a top club, can only see him excelling in the role that he played vs Liverpool last year. It's harmless extension. No massive downside to it.
The first couple of minutes of him falling over and getting tackled was funny.I didn't expect it to the the majority of the video though.
As you say,these highlights consist of him getting fouled and that's it.:lol:

dogwithabone

We all know Fletcher is Ferguson's son. Think it is fairly obvious that McTominay is Solskjær's son.

Fletcher was one of the best midfielders of his generation and massively underrated. McTominay doesn’t to me look remotely in his class but it’s early days and if he does eventually hit the heights of Fletcher then we will have some player on our hands. Seems an excessive contract but very happily be proved wrong.

binary bot
Bigger picture emerging from this and Smalling deal is the club won't be signing any new players in the summer!
In terms of reliability in his position Smalling is between first and second at the club. Were you expecting three new top CBs in the summer?

SiRed

Reminds me a lot of Darren Fletcher in his younger years where not many appreciate what he has in his locker.

Will be a good player to use in rotation and for cover. Extending contract makes sense but i dont see him ever being a regular in our line up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Urgh. I hope it's just to secure a transfer fee for him in the next hour or two

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
:lol:
Yeah because we are really short of academy players in the squad. What a dreadful take.
Why you laughing at him?

The guy is as limited as they come and we're in a position where we need to ship out a shit load of limited players, never mind secure their services... So what's funny about someone not agreeing the decision?

In fact, pretty much everyone here says he only became part of the first team, as a token gesture on Mourinho's part... Now he's gone, it's a different story?

Why is that?

Maybe he'll prove me and others wrong and become a world class player.. Stranger things have happened...

Maybe we've signed him to a contract because we don't have plans to sign anyone this month or in the summer? Back to the value era...

Who knows?

Last edited:

StrettyEnder07

Can't see him making it personally, not sure what he really offers as a midfielder but Lingard was 25 when finally established himself, you could see him following the Fletcher root but I think he might end up a decent Championship/Lower Prem League midfielder, hope I'm wrong.

Be good to loan him next year to a Brighton/Burnley type and give him a full season in the league see how he gets on.

Castia

Needs a loan where he can get 40 games under his belt. Not good enough for us at the minute although I appreciate he’s still young.

robinrooney

I hope this is purely so that there will be a higher transfer fee when we sell him because he isn't good enough for a team with title ambitions

OL29

Fletcher was one of the best midfielders of his generation and massively underrated. McTominay doesn’t to me look remotely in his class but it’s early days and if he does eventually hit the heights of Fletcher then we will have some player on our hands. Seems an excessive contract but very happily be proved wrong.
This overrating of Fletcher is going a bit far now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some strange reactions. If he comes good then we've got a solid squad player for many years. If he doesn't we'll got some fee for him.

RedCurry

No idea what he's supposed to be good at but if coaches want him in the squad, I have no problem with it. Every club needs players who are willing to grind it out every now and then.

Young homegrown player commits to the club. Of course that’s good news. A lot of people here seem to think we need 20+ £50m players in the squad.

We need good squad players (not would class) and he has the potential to be just that. We won league titles with the likes of Fortune and P. Neville in the squad.

I’d far rather have a player come through our academy than spend £52m on Fred whose contribution to the first team is on a par or less than that of McTomminey.

Utdstar01

Fair play to the lad. Very much up against it to make it with us in the long term but you have to say well done.