g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay extends contract til 2023

Camilo

341 minutes in over half a season doesn't exactly scream heavy involvement.
Permanent fixture in the match day squad pretty much these days. The boys got to be paid.

Based Adnan

McTominay was only in those games for Jose to show up the board for not getting him a center back. He's a human embodiment of a protest vote.
Yeah Jose played him in some of our biggest games of the season just to prove a point to the board, well done.Go and look at his performances in those games anyway. He was among our best players in all 3.

OldPop

I think it's about money, the contract itself makes him grow in value and become more interesting for other clubs. It would not surprise me if Ole knows a lot about what potential he has, guess he goes on loan. If he develops well, he can become a player for MU, otherwise it may still be possible to get a decent fee for him.

Silas

Permanent fixture in the match day squad pretty much these days. The boys got to be paid.
Wasn't he basically an established squad player by the time he signed his contract last season? Not sure there's been that big of a jump role-wise to justify a pay rise or an extension really.

Andersonson

Good News. Hopefully he will develop into a great Squad-player for us. If not, we sell With a profit.

He has more use than Andreas anyways.

AndyJ1985

Yeah Jose played him in some of our biggest games of the season just to prove a point to the board, well done.Go and look at his performances in those games anyway. He was among our best players in all 3.
Was he feck. He was crap.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He handed Chelsea a goal due to his complete lack of awareness. It was an average performance at best and it's laughable how good people try to act like it was.

C'est Moi Cantona

See who wants to loan him, then see if he gets many games, we might actually find his level then, right now he was just been used because Jose likes big players, and he could lose him on the pitch, whilst using him as the go to man to claim he was playing the 'youth'.

When you consider how few midfielders we have brought through over the years it's hard to believe this guy is about to change that, I'll eat my pants if he's holding down a place in our team in 2-3 years, but fair play if he proves me wrong.

MAME DIOUF 32

Such a terrible decision. By all means give him another 18 months to see if he progresses but there's very little to suggest he'll be worth having here in 2023.

Ban

Cant believe it. Ole has made a 1st huge mistake. Still too much Jose left in the club still. Baffling.

Loublaze

ATLien
Cant believe it. Ole has made a 1st huge mistake. Still too much Jose left in the club still. Baffling.
Ole has only been here 2 seconds I strongly doubt he had any say in this. This probably also applies to any other transfer activity while he's just a caretaker coach

edgar allan

I said this back in the Summer, that Woodward needed to balance the books. He is trying to make savings this fiscal year, which is why he pulled the plug on transfers this season. It had nothing to do with him not liking Jose's targets. He simply did not want to spend and so kept his head down during the transfer window, while passing off the likes of a £19M teenager and a 35 year old GK, as "signings".

Hopefully, next season, we will spend, though what worries me is that we our squad remains bloated with too many (deadwood) players.
MCFC, allowed their deadwood players' contracts to expire, which allowed them to buy useful players. We, on the other hand, are hanging onto the deadwood, which will prevent us from buying more players (unless we sell the deadwood, which we can't seem to do).
Fred says " Don't forget about me"

edgar allan

For the 2 deepest midfielder options we have;

Matic - getting older.
Herrera - could leave at end of the season if we don’t renew.
Fellaini - will leave at end of this season or maybe even this window.
Andreas - out of contract in summer and will leave.
Fred - debatable quality.

We could be left with only 2 or 3 of them come the end of the summer window, and we have a bunch of positions we need to sign players in. Fullbacks, CBs and a RW. If we wanted a squad player to come in and cover it’d cost 20m.

I’m fine with McTominay staying. He’s going to only ever provide depth unless he improves.
100% what this man says!!

Nr.7

I think we can all agree that McTomminay will probably never be a regular starter for us. Most likely we will sell him in two or three years.

Untill then, support the kid.

ants7

Also think that it's just to make money in the future. At this moment in time, I have a huge doubt he'll become regular (if we still aim to be this big club as we're supposed to).

Now get De God's and Martial's contracts tied down nobody wouldn't even remember that this happened.

Johan07

New contract is not a wrong decision. Keeping him in the squad next year would be.
He needs to go on a season long loan and its difficult to see this decision being anything else than preparing for just this.

JMack1234

Mixed feelings.

I don't expect every player from the academy to be a world beater and I think McTominay suffers by being associated with Mourinho losing the plot.

However, I do seriously doubt if he's good enough for Man Utd but time will tell.

BlueHaze

Every single time I've seen this lad play all he does is backwards and sideways passing. I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they say this is good news. I see absolutely nothing in this guy worthy of playing for a massive club like Man Utd.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Every single time I've seen this lad play all he does is backwards and sideways passing. I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they say this is good news. I see absolutely nothing in this guy worthy of playing for a massive club like Man Utd.
Wasn't that everyone before Ole came?

Red Devil Rising

For everyone that's disappointed with this news, it could be worse.

You could be a Barca fan and celebrating the signing of KPB

In Rainbows

The amount of youth players that go through the United ranks and never make a first team appearance for the club is staggering. Yet these players go on to prop teams up in every division in the English league and some abroad.

If anyone has seen 'Sunderland til I die', Chris Coleman signs Ashely Fletcher, an ex United youth, in times of utter turmoil at Sunderland. You know what the players who played with him previously said after the signing? "He's got character. Anyone that comes through United is a good lad, they're good people there".

Every now and again, once every couple of years, we're lucky enough for one of our youth players to be deemed good enough by the staff and break through into the first team and get some game time. We're talking about playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and holding your own here, against players that treat the game as their cup final.

Despite all this, some of you in here are wanting a player that's not only one of our own, but also managed to defy the odds and play in United's first team and look fairly comfortable at the same time, to be sold or released by the club. It's fecking disgraceful to be honest and I'm ashamed to have to stand by you as a United fan.

He's a young lad and will only get better. There's not a single one of us in here who wouldn't give anything to be in his position so stop with the melodrama and show some fecking support to a player that's one of our own.
United aren't a charity. Why not use this logic for every youth player? And all this talk of him growing, means what exactly? With Rashford, he grew which aided his technical ability as he was a former attacking midfielder. With McTominay? He doesn't have some technical ability worth believing in, a passing ability worth believing in, or defensive ability worth believing in.

Besides, he had 2.5 years left on his contract.

SteveW

Can't say I rate him at all but. But then again it's not as if we are all that well stocked with CMs. Pereira and Fellaini will both likely be gone during the Summer and Fred hasn't settled yet. We will need to sign at least one more CM as if stands. No harm in giving Scott a bit longer to see how he develops i guess.