Scott McTominay is the laziest footballer we've ever had

Mmm-Qatarian

Can we please stop with this ridiculous, over-the-top nonsense?

McTominay doesn't have a problem with laziness. His problem is a lack of ability. He's technically not good enough to work within Ten Hag's system, and he isn't intelligent enough to effectively restrict space in defence either.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's not lazy.

(That's not the problem. There obviously is a problem with him, though.)

Ekeke

I think he often gets overrated in terms of how hard he works. However, today I dont think the issue was hard work for the most part. He worked harder than several of our players without the ball especially. But when he had the ball he would just run it into a crowd of players and lose it. Thats an issue of quality and making the right choices. Thats what he doesnt have

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Mctominay is alot of things (not very good things) but lazy isn't one of them for me. He's a shocking footballer with zero football intelligence but I always think he works hard enough. Sadly that's not enough at this level. Decent shot aside I don't see what else he brings.

Cloudface

I don't know how you can see him gormlessly watch opposition players burst past him from midfield game after game and not come to the conclusion he is very lazy in the defensive transition. He either can't be bothered or is dangerously thick.

The same goes for Shaw and Rashford.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Whatever the case, Scot McT should not be playing for us.
He barely touched the ball in the first half which was alarming. there was a video of him in one of these threads where he visibly hid from the ball. There was no way that he wasn't doing it on purpose. He was positioning himself so that the ball would not be passed to him.
His attitude is good - managers like that - but his skill/ability is low and he should be playing in the Championship.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Our worst player and that’s saying something.
Agreed.
Certainly today, against Brighton, he was the worst player.

Is Fergie influencing our managers to play him?

year after year of mediocrity yet his position is comfortably secure and all our managers seem to rate him.
Yep. Not on that but, he keeps playing crap for game after game, for every manager. But the managers keep playing him. The manager ends up getting sacked.
It's almost as if the managers would rather take the fall and get fired themselves,, than not play him.

AFC NimbleThumb

Whatever the case, Scot McT should not be playing for us.
He barely touched the ball in the first half which was alarming. there was a video of him in one of these threads where he visibly hid from the ball. There was no way that he wasn't doing it on purpose. He was positioning himself so that the ball would not be passed to him.
His attitude is good - managers like that - but his skill/ability is low and he should be playing in the Championship.
This gets ignored by too many because he runs round fouling people.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
McTominay is a lot of things. Lazy is definitely not one of them. If anything, the only reason managers seem to like him so much is because of his work rate

Paul778

Lazy suggests a lack of effort. It's not effort he lacks, its ability .. when to pass, where to stand, where to move/cut off opponents, his first touch, etc.

Feels like he's regressed. And he wasn't that good last couple of seasons.

Seems a decent enough lad who tries but he's not top half PL level.
He's not top half championship.

Not joking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This gets ignored by too many because he runs round fouling people.
He is gone so I should likely not mention him but he is one of the reasons why Pogba often lacked options or was targetted by teammates even when he was marked because the other midfielder was putting himself in a place where only a lunatic would pass it. Who exactly decides that the best position is to have an opponent between yourself and the ball carrier?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe he’s just incredibly slow? I honestly don’t know. I do know that every time the opposition break on us there’s a good chance you’ll see two or three of their players leaving him for dead.

And I agree that what should be a full on sprint back into position often looks suspiciously like jogging.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe he’s just incredibly slow? I honestly don’t know. I do know that every time the opposition break on us there’s a good chance you’ll see two or three of their players leaving him for dead.

And I agree that what should be a full on sprint back into position often looks suspiciously like jogging.
It's the pause before the jog and then the pause when he is nearly there. Next time pay attention, he does it all the time.

Last edited:

Roboc7

Lazy suggests a lack of effort. It's not effort he lacks, its ability .. when to pass, where to stand, where to move/cut off opponents, his first touch, etc.

Feels like he's regressed. And he wasn't that good last couple of seasons.

Seems a decent enough lad who tries but he's not top half PL level.
He could try a lot harder, someone who is so limited and at times can hardly get involved in the game shouldn’t be jogging back aimlessly and ball watching.

He’s been built up to be much better than he is which one of reasons is why he’s regressed/not improved.

AFC NimbleThumb

He is gone so I should likely not mention him but he is one of the reasons why Pogba often lacked options or was targetted by teammates even when he was marked because the other midfielder was putting himself in a place where only a lunatic would pass it. Who exactly decides that the best position is to have an opponent between yourself and the ball carrier?
Which is exactly why I pointed out in the FdJ thread that he’d make very little impact if he’s playing alongside the McFred, in particular the Mc of duo.

I genuinely believe we could play a youth player in his position and be better off, games like today aren’t an anomaly so in essence we’re getting the erratic form of a youth player without any of the potential upside.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Unfortunately, I can’t stand seeing him in our midfield anymore. He’s such a limited footballer, and he’s not very likeable because of his dirty-streak in him.

Needs to get dropped ASAP and ideally sold next summer to Everton.

Skills

Snitch
I don’t understand why no manager has walked on the reluctance of the board to sign a better midfielder.
$$$

Why would you believe that managers are actually motivated by anything but money.

Chief123

Hahaha try Luke Shaw.

That entire sequence until his yellow card was so obvious. Everyone in the stadium knew it was going to go to him, except him apparently.

Or try Marcus Rashford. Challenge for headers? Nah, that's beneath him.
There was even a sequence where someone was making a run down the right wing to a ball which has been played in behind. It was a race between the winger and Shaw. The winger was closing the gap so fast until someone shouted to Shaw “Run” before the guy caught him up! Ffs Shaw was running in 1st gear saving energy.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Wasnt Mourinho the one who gave him a chance. The criticism of him is not because he is lazy but because he lacks any technique.

Skills

Snitch
We hire managers that have a reputation to lose by walking. Someone like Conte would have just fecked off
Conte's an enigma. Managers are no different to footballers - they're here because we pay them well.

crossy1686

career ending
Wasnt Mourinho the one who gave him a chance. The criticism of him is not because he is lazy but because he lacks any technique.
Mourinho gave him a vase off the table at the awards ceremony and invented an award title just so he could pat himself on the back from playing him

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mourinho gave him a vase off the table at the awards ceremony and invented an award title just so he could pat himself on the back from playing him
Says it all really. Imagine if he on the market Roma would be after him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘Look, I’m not saying he’s a world beater or anything, but he’s good to have as a squad player. He at least runs a lot unlike our record signing, and if used correctly further forward, can be useful’ - edition 1000.

sparx99

It's the pause before the job and then the pause when he is nearly there. Next time pay attention, he does it all the time.
We seem to have this right problem through the team where we close down the opposition 95% of the way but don’t actually go the extra 5% and make a challenge. You don’t have to win the ball. You can get dribbled past but you have to engage. It’s like shadow pressing. It looks like you are trying but you actually aren’t making a challenge.

lex talionis

Laziness is not a fair criticism of McTominay. The fair criticism is that his skills on the ball are very limited. He doesn't even show for the ball well, if that's what's meant by laziness.

ElBarto

He knows he's not good enough and he's scared of the ball
This, imposter syndrome that's actually not a mind trick. He knows he's out of his depth so hides from our CBs who then don't have a pass on. Iqbal or Garner or Donny would be an instant upgrade

Amira

Laziness is not a fair criticism of McTominay. The fair criticism is that his skills on the ball are very limited. He doesn't even show for the ball well, if that's what's meant by laziness.
Maybe not lazy but I don’t think he is an engine room either. He jogs about quite a lot and only seems to go at full speed after losing the ball, usually leading to a yellow.

Andersonson

I wonder what you all think of ETH, him starting a championship, disaster, garbage player etc.

Guess you all think he is a brainless manager?