Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddsred

I get what you mean, but isn’t that we trying to buy Amrabat for 20m to replace Mctominay something? Or all our fans wants Lavia for under 50m to replace Mctominay? For that price I am sure there are plenty of better options around.
If West Ham want McTominay they're going to have to pay the going rate. If Rice is worth £100 million then McTominay is worth £40 million. That's a fair price.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he would become a really important player for them. I would pay the 45. At a place like West Ham under the right management he could turn into a leader, and not just be a cog in the machine. He is versatile, fit, consistent, strong, pretty quick and agile for his size. Tackles and scores goals. Put him next to a defensive type playmaker and let him be himself. I don't see the point in him staying at United.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
It was the quoted price when Fulham were interested, who now have Mitrovic money and an injured Palhinha. So there is every chance we could get that for a player of his quality.
What Mitrovic money? They haven’t sold him or even accepted an offer yet.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
What Mitrovic money? They haven’t sold him or even accepted an offer yet.
It’s only a matter of time. He wants to leave, and reports suggest Al-Hilal are going to launch a third bid of £50 million.

He won’t be there when the season starts.

Rossa

In our 3rd place finish under Ole in 2019/20, when he was a nailed on starter for a good while….

https://strettynews.com/2019/11/19/...d-stars-run-over-100km-in-pl-this-season/amp/

Clearly the lad has a great engine, plenty of pundits and pros have mentioned it and there’s an interview with SAF comparing him to Fletch and taking about his “great stamina”.
There’s also a bunch of videos of him smashing players in tackles and he never loses a foot race.
If he’s technically not good (and he clearly isn’t), is slow, not strong, and doesn’t have great stamina…. How the feck has he started so many games Internationally and under multiple Manchester United managers?

Are we saying he’s just completely lucked out? Good at absolutely nothing but a Manchester United regular for 5 years?
He's an academy player that arguably got a chance beyond his actual abilities. It has definitely happened before. Scotland isn't all that great as a national team, and he's had to play CB a fair bit on top of that.

He's a decent allround player. He's fairly strong. He's big. He's a presence in both boxes. He times his runs into the opposition box quite well. He has a mean shot on him from time to time. His long range passing is actually very good, which makes it weird that his short range passing is so abysmal.

I've seen him lose countless foot races. He's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, especially not on the first few yards. He also has absolutely no agility.

I may have misjudged him in terms of stamina, but I don't see him as a Fletcher that is all over the pitch, or a Fred - he has never stood out for me in terms of working hard. For all of his faults, one could clearly see Fellaini as a very hard working player. McTominay hides much more, and he's not close to being as physical a threat as many players his size - think Fellaini, Vidic, Rio, VVD, Ibra, Haaland, Pogba, etc. Looking at central midfielders, Rice is much more mobile. Goretzka is much faster, and then you have previous players such as Yaya Toure who were immensely athletic.

I genuinly believe his physical appearance gives him more of a look of being athletic than actually being athletic. That being said, it could also be semantics and how you define it. Him clearly lacking agility, is slow on the first few yards and only decent in terms of top speed, not having a great leap and only average in terms of strength for his size, I just don't see him as being rightly labelled athletic. He is probably one of the fittest in the squad, however, but is that being athletic? There were rumours about him finishing a 5K run in 16 minutes and 1 second, which would be incredibly fast - but Maguire doing it in 18 minutes also means that he must have been running at full speed for 5K, which seems bizarre.

He's an academy player that arguably got a chance beyond his actual abilities. It has definitely happened before. Scotland isn't all that great as a national team, and he's had to play CB a fair bit on top of that.

He's a decent allround player. He's fairly strong. He's big. He's a presence in both boxes. He times his runs into the opposition box quite well. He has a mean shot on him from time to time. His long range passing is actually very good, which makes it weird that his short range passing is so abysmal.

I've seen him lose countless foot races. He's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, especially not on the first few yards. He also has absolutely no agility.

I may have misjudged him in terms of stamina, but I don't see him as a Fletcher that is all over the pitch, or a Fred - he has never stood out for me in terms of working hard. For all of his faults, one could clearly see Fellaini as a very hard working player. McTominay hides much more, and he's not close to being as physical a threat as many players his size - think Fellaini, Vidic, Rio, VVD, Ibra, Haaland, Pogba, etc. Looking at central midfielders, Rice is much more mobile. Goretzka is much faster, and then you have previous players such as Yaya Toure who were immensely athletic.

I genuinly believe his physical appearance gives him more of a look of being athletic than actually being athletic. That being said, it could also be semantics and how you define it. Him clearly lacking agility, is slow on the first few yards and only decent in terms of top speed, not having a great leap and only average in terms of strength for his size, I just don't see him as being rightly labelled athletic. He is probably one of the fittest in the squad, however, but is that being athletic? There were rumours about him finishing a 5K run in 16 minutes and 1 second, which would be incredibly fast - but Maguire doing it in 18 minutes also means that he must have been running at full speed for 5K, which seems bizarre.
My 5k PB from last year was 17:44 so Maguire doing it in 18 something isn’t that crazy. I was 42 then after all.
Feels like you’re nitpicking now with the word athletic to be honest.

Robbie Boy

He would do well there. He's very underrated by our fanbase. Admittedly, he was poor when Jose first introduced him; but I feel he made strides under Ole, and he's a perfectly fine squad player for us, albeit he should never have been a starter.

Kag

He would do well there. He's very underrated by our fanbase. Admittedly, he was poor when Jose first introduced him; but I feel he made strides under Ole, and he's a perfectly fine squad player for us, albeit he should never have been a starter.
I always take issue with this. He isn’t. If he was then we’d be able to bring him in for the likes of Casemiro without the midfield falling to pieces. Ultimately, he isn’t good enough to come in as a defensive midfielder, and he isn’t really good enough to come in ahead of somebody like Bruno in a more advanced position.

The only purpose McTominay will serve is to come on after 75 minutes, when we’re one or two up, to try and shut down the game and be a presence in the box. That isn’t enough.

Dannn411

Players most comparable to Mctominay around Europe are Valverde, Milinkovic-Savic and Willock. Not one of those players are DMs.

Robbie Boy

I always take issue with this. He isn’t. If he was then we’d be able to bring him in for the likes of Casemiro without the midfield falling to pieces. Ultimately, he isn’t good enough to come in as a defensive midfielder, and he isn’t really good enough to come in ahead of somebody like Bruno in a more advanced position.

The only purpose McTominay will serve is to come on after 75 minutes, when we’re one or two up, to try and shut down the game and be a presence in the box. That isn’t enough.
He never was, and never will be a DM, though. As a B2B midfielder who can come in and add energy to a game, he's fine. This is coming from someone who doesn't particularly rate the bloke, but he's not as bad as he's made out to be, either

Kag

He never was, and never will be a DM, though. As a B2B midfielder who can come in and add energy to a game, he's fine. This is coming from someone who doesn't particularly rate the bloke, but he's not as bad as he's made out to be, either
I agree, but unfortunately he is often asked to play as one, and is nowhere near good enough to deputise in that role. As a box-to-box midfielder he is better, but we have enough of those at the club as it is. We need to get rid.

Scholsey2004

McTominay looked like he'd done his knee at the end of the Madrid game. He might not be going anywhere this window.

Rossa

My 5k PB from last year was 17:44 so Maguire doing it in 18 something isn’t that crazy. I was 42 then after all.
Feels like you’re nitpicking now with the word athletic to be honest.
17:44 for a 42 year old is pretty darn good! Well done, sir!

Well, it all comes down to defining what we mean by athletic. Personally, I wouldn't say McTominay is a typically athletic footballer anymore than Fellaini was - arguably more so in fact other than in terms of apperance. Antonio Valencia was extremely athletic. Rio was very athletic. Lukaku is by nature athletic. Kyle Walker arguably all time most athletic in the league? Carrick wasn't, for instance. McTominay is somewhere in between. Then you have the typically athletic players that tend to be wingers and strikers - Ronaldo being the most obvious, Bale, Nani, Vinicius, Mbappe, Haaland, Agbonlahor, Giggs (although not really looking it), Antonio at WH etc etc...typically very fast, deceptively strong, agile and strong runners.

I might be nitpicking, but if athleticism is McTominay's biggest selling point, I can see why he is considered an average Premier League midfielder - being a premier league midfielder in itself is one helluva achievement, so he is far beyond most footballers at higher levels.

Rossa

Yep, I agree with this. You could argue that he would be if he was 20 with potential, but he's in his prime now. For United's sake and his sake, he should move on. I think the only role he could cover reasonably well would be the Mount role, but not to a high enough level consistently. I would actually prefer Fred - quicker feet, covers more distance, is a better dribbler, albeit also more erratic.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's not a defensive midfielder though.
What do you mean by that?
He's big, strong, likes to get stuck in, is big and strong, can drive the ball forward and even get a shot, useful to defend in the box, not to mention he's big and strong.

Don't listen to them Moysey, Scott can be moulded in a very good defensive midfielder.

Djemba-Djemba

I do genuinely think he'd be good at West Ham if they use him properly.

He's better than Soucek for example. I bet under Moyes at West Ham he'd be amongst the goals.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What do you mean by that?
He's big, strong, likes to get stuck in, is big and strong, can drive the ball forward and even get a shot, useful to defend in the box, not to mention he's big and strong.

Don't listen to them Moysey, Scott can be moulded in a very good defensive midfielder.
Young and learning so!

JediSith

Yeh but if they are going to spend 45m on Mctominay, why don’t they try to spend 50m on Lavia instead, or someone similar? With that amount of money they should be able to buy some younger and better.
I think McTominay isn’t as bad as we think he is but he’s not a natural CDM. At a team like West Ham he’ll play a slightly different role which will probably see him get forward more. Don’t forget he strikes the ball pretty well, so could be useful as a CM who gets goals from the edge of the box.

Scholsey2004

I think McTominay isn’t as bad as we think he is but he’s not a natural CDM. At a team like West Ham he’ll play a slightly different role which will probably see him get forward more. Don’t forget he strikes the ball pretty well, so could be useful as a CM who gets goals from the edge of the box.
I agree, he's a good player, certainly a lot better than many on here give him credit for. That said I'm not convinced he's ideal for where Ten Hag wants to take us tactically. He's ideal for a counter attacking side really.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I agree, he's a good player, certainly a lot better than many on here give him credit for. That said I'm not convinced he's ideal for where Ten Hag wants to take us tactically. He's ideal for a counter attacking side really.
"Good" is streching it. He can be useful though, but if West Ham want him to play DM and really replace Rice that will be a trainwreck midfield. He needs to be in a system where he can charge up the field and arrive in the box as an unconventional goalscoring midfielder. Making him recycle play/set tempo/shield a defense is just asking to get a train ran on you.

OrcaFat

"Good" is streching it. He can be useful though, but if West Ham want him to play DM and really replace Rice that will be a trainwreck midfield. He needs to be in a system where he can charge up the field and arrive in the box as an unconventional goalscoring midfielder. Making him recycle play/set tempo/shield a defense is just asking to get a train ran on you.
This is very true. He’s a general box-to-box midfielder, lacking in many areas but somehow useful if you don’t expect too much and will get goals if allowed to run free.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How small was there opening bid I wonder? £30M for him should be considered as we can plough that straight back for Amrabat.
Not sure what their initial offer was.

But I think we need to hold firm here because West Ham will pay the £45m imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.