Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

He also started last season really well. It’s easy to forget but he delayed Casemiro getting his first run in the team for a very short while,

Baxquux

He also started last season really well. It’s easy to forget but he delayed Casemiro getting his first run in the team for a very short while,
Casemiro needed time to adjust - you could see in the first few appearances that he was getting up to pace, rather than McT being outstanding. He wasn't Bad, per se, in that he didn't cost us any games, but I didn't see much to contradict the judgements which have been passed elsewhere regarding his positioning, ability, willingness to show for the ball etc. I still think the club has played this pretty terribly, and it's a mistake they won't get to remedy soon because clubs aren't exactly falling over themselves to bid for a player who in principle is for sale and at mid-price range, experienced in the league, has at least some physical attributes that make him suited to playing high-energy football, has a negotiable asking price and so on. Given the scramble for midfielders elsewhere, that's slightly telling.

r0663664

Worships Man City
We move out most deadwood, McTominay even though is not good enough, he will be good to shore up defense or into attack if we needed a goal. I think he still has a role to play, I am very happy with the summer, we have clear out almost all deadwood including young players that has no future here. Exciting rebuild as I see it. It is wonderful to have ETH as a manager.

edgecutter

We move out most deadwood, McTominay even though is not good enough, he will be good to shore up defense or into attack if we needed a goal. I think he still has a role to play, I am very happy with the summer, we have clear out almost all deadwood including young players that has no future here. Exciting rebuild as I see it. It is wonderful to have ETH as a manager.
Goal threat? 1 goal in around 9-10 games is hardly a goal threat.

The club has an opportunity to cash in on a player that has more poor games than good. If he stays his value will go down as he won't play that many games.

flappyjay

With Chelsea bidding for Lavia, Gallagher is most likely heading to West Ham. That along with them wrapping up a deal for JWP, we may have over played our hand here. Don't see West Ham going for McT now.
Even if they get lavia they would have lavia, Enzo, Gallagher and some kids around Mainoo's age as their midfield options. They are thin in midfield

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
With Chelsea bidding for Lavia, Gallagher is most likely heading to West Ham. That along with them wrapping up a deal for JWP, we may have over played our hand here. Don't see West Ham going for McT now.
West Ham cant afford Gallagher cause Chelsea want £45m+. If they are still in search of a midfielder they are more likely to get McTominay for around £35-37m.

croadyman

Think the club should only sell him if a Casemiro replacement unexpectedly becomes available

Bondi77

We will need him on the bench anyway especially if Casemiro has not sorted out his tackling technique.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Doubt it.

Chelsea currently only have Enzo, Gallagher & some unproven kids that play in the double pivot. They're not going to suddenly sell Gallagher because they're signing one more that can play there.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm sure there are other clubs interested, hence we poker our way to around 35-40m. He's decent enough and an international player

Pronewbie

Peep
He's okay as a backup B2B midfielder and I honestly think he could threaten Mount's position in the team like he did with Casemiro at the start of the season.. I'd still prefer to bring in a DM though.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
West Ham cant afford Gallagher cause Chelsea want £45m+. If they are still in search of a midfielder they are more likely to get McTominay for around £35-37m.
We can afford him, we have spent about 90m, we've sold about 130-140m worth of players so far without the possiblity of selling Paqueta. Even without any extra money we probably have a budget at the moment of 60-75m left, If Paqueta goes we can probably add at least another 50m on that as well. Could possibly have a budget of 200-250m witohut even touching a penny of the money made in the season.

However its a cost-benefit thing. Does Gallagher offer much more than McTominay at a higher price? Debateble but I think the age profile is better for the former and we are an old side.

whitbyviking

We can afford him, we have spent about 90m, we've sold about 130-140m worth of players so far without the possiblity of selling Paqueta. Even without any extra money we probably have a budget at the moment of 60-75m left, If Paqueta goes we can probably add at least another 50m on that as well. Could possibly have a budget of 200-250m witohut even touching a penny of the money made in the season.

However its a cost-benefit thing. Does Gallagher offer much more than McTominay at a higher price? Debateble but I think the age profile is better for the former and we are an old side.
I find the age discussion interesting in general.

There is 3 years difference between the two and you would think they would both have up to 32 at their peak. That gives them 6 and 9 years. With that kind of career length they are more likely to exceed the length of time the manager, maybe multiple managers, are employed by the club. This means they are both likely to go out of fashion with the club before age becomes a factor. I think in cases like this, where they are both yet to enter the prime, the value to the team now and for the next few seasons, or expected duration of the buying manager is more relevant. Not every player is bought as a long term fixture in the club.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
We're still looking for at least one more in midfield.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
I find the age discussion interesting in general.

There is 3 years difference between the two and you would think they would both have up to 32 at their peak. That gives them 6 and 9 years. With that kind of career length they are more likely to exceed the length of time the manager, maybe multiple managers, are employed by the club. This means they are both likely to go out of fashion with the club before age becomes a factor. I think in cases like this, where they are both yet to enter the prime, the value to the team now and for the next few seasons, or expected duration of the buying manager is more relevant. Not every player is bought as a long term fixture in the club.
I think its probably more relevant at West Ham than most other teams as we have already the oldest team in the league, and both JWP and Maguire add to that age as well.

So we already probably have too many players who are at or about to start their downward curves out of their peaks meaning we are probably going to be in a near constant rebuild mode over the next 3-5 years as we shuffle out those older players, its not ideal.

I agree that age isn't the be all and end all, but we have very little actual younger players in our squad currently, its very top heavy with older players right now and it does need some actual younger legs as its not feasible for a club like West Ham to keep having 100-200m transfer windows to replace old players every 2-4 years as we will have to moving forwards.

With that all being said, McTominay's age isn't personally any concern and I think he would do well at West Ham, its just we know what we are going to get with him, with Gallagher you still have a very real possibility of him improving further beyond what Mctominay can currently provide. Its just whether the extra 10m it'd require would be too much of a risk vs the benefits gained. Not easy to know.

However if we were to get another 60-80m from Paqueta, that changes the equation and makes a signing like Gallagher or even Fofana (whom I've been told we really want IF the price can be lowered...or if we gain more money in the budget via Paqueta) far more realistic.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People pretending that it is just chance that managers like van Gaal, Mourinho, OGS and his team, Rangnick kept giving him game time is deluded. Right now Man Utd, led by EtH, are reluctant to sell for anything less than £40 mill. That is not chance either. And an experienced coach like Moyes will push his club to pay that amount. That is not chance either.
Scott never played under LVG. He actually didn't play under Mourinho that often either, only about 18 full games worth of minutes (and 5 of them were early rounds of the domestic cups). Rangnick didn't really have any choice as there was nobody else and he wasn't allowed to sign anybody. ETH dropped him to the bench quite quickly.

It was really only Ole who regularly chose him.

Josep Dowling

This idea that McTominay was keeping Casemiro out of the team :lol:. The Casemiro move happened late in the transfer window, he needed time to bed in and train with the other players. It had nothing to do with McTominay's quality as a player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This idea that McTominay was keeping Casemiro out of the team :lol:. The Casemiro move happened late in the transfer window, he needed time to bed in and train with the other players. It had nothing to do with McTominay's quality as a player.
I wouldn't say it had 'nothing' to do with McTominay. If Scott had been playing poorly we would have bought Casemiro into the starting line-up faster. As it was, Scott actually played fairly well for the first month of the season (as he did for the first month under Rangnick) before falling away, and that gave us the ability to slowly integrate Casemiro as he got up to speed.

the_cliff

JWP away to West Ham, Scott deal dead.
It's not.

They're loaning out Downes to Southampton.

Their midfield options are Soucek, Alvarez, JWP and Paqueta. That's nowhere near enough. They've wanted to replace Souzeck as well.

whitbyviking

I think its probably more relevant at West Ham than most other teams as we have already the oldest team in the league, and both JWP and Maguire add to that age as well.

So we already probably have too many players who are at or about to start their downward curves out of their peaks meaning we are probably going to be in a near constant rebuild mode over the next 3-5 years as we shuffle out those older players, its not ideal.

I agree that age isn't the be all and end all, but we have very little actual younger players in our squad currently, its very top heavy with older players right now and it does need some actual younger legs as its not feasible for a club like West Ham to keep having 100-200m transfer windows to replace old players every 2-4 years as we will have to moving forwards.

With that all being said, McTominay's age isn't personally any concern and I think he would do well at West Ham, its just we know what we are going to get with him, with Gallagher you still have a very real possibility of him improving further beyond what Mctominay can currently provide. Its just whether the extra 10m it'd require would be too much of a risk vs the benefits gained. Not easy to know.

However if we were to get another 60-80m from Paqueta, that changes the equation and makes a signing like Gallagher or even Fofana (whom I've been told we really want IF the price can be lowered...or if we gain more money in the budget via Paqueta) far more realistic.
Interesting points.

Do you think there is room for Scott Mc to grow too, in the way people think Gallagher might? He is older but he's never had a full season in his preferred position, and his international appearances seem to suggest he has some untapped potential. I think that full season Gallagher had at Palace brought him on massively. Actually looking at appearances they have played a similar number of games for many of the past seasons with Gallagher pulling ahead in the last 2.

I also think Scott Mc has the potential to be a leader too, which is possibly more attractive in West Ham's situation with the aging squad. Their older players are all likely to disappear in a group, and that could leave a void of seniority and experience. Someone like Scott Mc could be good for that transition, not going to comment on Gallagher's potential leadership skills as I haven't seen all that much of him.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
It's not.

Their midfield options are Soucek, Alvarez, JWP and Paqueta. That's nowhere near enough. They've wanted to replace Souzeck as well.
We also do have Fornals who can play in a more attacking role in the MF, but I agree its a little light even after JWP comes in.

From what I was told Mctominay was no.2 choice (behind Ward Prowse) before the Paqueta news, though I think Fofana may be above him if we suddenly have another 60m+ in the transfer budget, as both Moyes and Steidten rate him highly at the right price level.

I also suspect (but not been told) Gallagher is also still a running option, especially in light of the old overall squad age.

I'm sure we will get one in still in the MF.

Jacob

JWP is miles better than Scott, WHU made the right choice for the same price.

Superunknown

It's not.

If Paqueta goes, he'll also need replacing, too. I don't really think having JWP means they're out of the race for McTominay.

the_cliff

We also do have Fornals who can play in a more attacking role in the MF, but I agree its a little light even after JWP comes in.

From what I was told Mctominay was no.2 choice (behind Ward Prowse) before the Paqueta news, though I think Fofana may be above him if we suddenly have another 60m+ in the transfer budget, as both Moyes and Steidten rate him highly at the right price level.

I also suspect (but not been told) Gallagher is also still a running option, especially in light of the old overall squad age.
I don't think you sell Paqueta and I think Moyes goes for Mctominay to replace Soucek. Moyes loves a tall number 8 (Fellaini at Everton/United, Soucek for you) and Mctominay is a huge upgrade over Soucek. You'd have Paqueta/Fornals/Maybe even Benrahma for the 10. I don't think Alvarez/Soucek/JWP for the 2 holding midfield roles is near enough depth, you're definitely after another midfielder maybe it's fofana or Mctominay, I guess we'll find out. I just think cos it's Moyes and Mctominay is cheaper you'll probably end up with Mctominay.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Scott never played under LVG. He actually didn't play under Mourinho that often either, only about 18 full games worth of minutes (and 5 of them were early rounds of the domestic cups). Rangnick didn't really have any choice as there was nobody else and he wasn't allowed to sign anybody. ETH dropped him to the bench quite quickly.

It was really only Ole who regularly chose him.
Giggs said he trained with them frequently.

roseguy64

I wouldn't say it had 'nothing' to do with McTominay. If Scott had been playing poorly we would have bought Casemiro into the starting line-up faster. As it was, Scott actually played fairly well for the first month of the season (as he did for the first month under Rangnick) before falling away, and that gave us the ability to slowly integrate Casemiro as he got up to speed.
He didn't fall away. We had a disastrous game against City and the manager made the change then. And from what I remember McTominay wasn't even the worst performer that day. Ten Hag just saw the opportunity and took it.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Man City up to £88m for Paqueta.

To be fair, there was a growing feeling at West Ham in the last two months of the season that he was better than Rice. Rice is a better athlete, but some of the things Paqueta can do with the ball were different gravy.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Man City up to £88m for Paqueta.

To be fair, there was a growing feeling at West Ham in the last two months of the season that he was better than Rice. Rice is a better athlete, but some of the things Paqueta can do with the ball were different gravy.
He's mint. Think he would be cracking for City.

CG1010

He did have a good couple of games though, and so Casemiro wasn't picked on merit, the manager said sk. Not sure what's to laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.