Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Evra

I said elsewhere but if there's truth to that, makes you wonder what we are missing with him if Moyes and Tuchel rate him. Maybe he's better than Rice actually ? :wenger:
If there's really interest from elsewhere, I'd be glad he can get the minutes that he won't get here (most likely) for a good fee. We're losing (deep, deep) cover at CB too but that can be managed with. Supposedly MU has a list of 10 midfielders they shortlisted themselves...

I still think our midfield could do with one more on top of McT (or his replacement) unless the graduates from the Academy really can step up.

talking robot

I would say he was last season, he started instead of Casemiro... And he held. He just wasnt a good enough one to be starting for us, nor them
Maybe in Germany his physical advantage will compensate for his lack of technique. Here the physical level is so high that this isn't case. Possibly it could work there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if we could move on Mctominay and Maguire and replace both with Amadou Onana and Todibo, then I think it would be a great end to the window. I don't see it happening but Amadou Onana and Todibo improve us a lot both physically and technically compared to the players they'll replace. And I think we should target a holding #6 next season.

gajender

Going by that tweet, he calls Gravenbearch loan and transfer still possible. But re: McTominay he wrote 'is a supporter of the transfer.' So it kind of sounds like a sale.
Damn if the sale happens Good for Us and I guess good for Mctominay as well from mooted move to West Ham to possibly ending Up at Bayern is something .

Castia

McTominay and Maguire out

Gravenbearch, Todibo and Amrabat is the dream in the last few days

Plastic Evra

I think Mctominay is far better than people make out and he’d suit German football - he is not a 6 though.
Lot of people thinks there's a very decent B2B in there, it's maybe just a case he doesn't suit our midfield and needs.

Is it me or pure 6 have fallen out of fashion ? Everyone seems to try to retrofit 8s into that role. I understand having a pure destroyer is limiting what the midfield can do and obviously if they're not awful on the ball it's a plus... Maybe it's just the elite ones are never been that numerous.

Idxomer

They are also linked with Kalvin Phillips and Kehrer.

Is John Murtough working for them too?

tomaldinho1

I think Mctominay is far better than people make out and he’d suit German football - he is not a 6 though.
I think they see him as an industrious hard working box to box, which is what he is. I feel he's a bit like Fred in that he's become scapegoat because 6 is such a positional role and neither of them could really play it but then a bit more advanced they've both been decent. Both more than ok as squad players and I guess McT is entering/around his peak so you should get a good 5 years out of him at this level.

Remember the geese

And I think we should target a holding #6 next season.
Casemiro and Mainoo seems like a nice setup, no? The older, experienced player and his young understudy. Not sure we would need a 6. That's assuming that Mainoo adapts well to the position because he is naturally more advanced.

Trex

Casemiro and Mainoo seems like a nice setup, no? The older, experienced player and his young understudy. Not sure we would need a 6. That's assuming that Mainoo adapts well to the position because he is naturally more advanced.
Yes it does makes sense to train Mainoo as Casemiro successor. We'll have till the end of this season to see if the experiment works out.
Gravenbarch coming in will mean Bruno, Mount, Eriksen and Gravenbarch covering the double 8 role each bringing something different.

Plastic Evra

I think i am the only one on the Caf who prefers to keep McTominay in the squad
He's an utility player if only for lack of bench options. I'm not sure EtH rates him much beyond that and for his personal development is better off fighting for a starter spot or at least regular rotation option elsewhere.
I wouldn't let him go on the cheap at this point of the window and any replacement that could be considered an upgrade is gonna cost at least as much as he is.

greater wall

I think i am the only one on the Caf who prefers to keep McTominay in the squad
I would love to keep him as well but if Bayern come calling for him then he deserves a transfer to a top team that will play him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we should look to improve upon Casemiro next season by looking for a upgrade. Someone who is comfortable receiving the ball on the half turn, provides technical security on the ball, and has the physical and athletic capabilities to contain opposition transition in open spaces.

Mainoo absolutely should be given game time because he has all the traits to be a metronome for us.

Remember the geese

I think we should look to improve upon Casemiro next season by looking for a upgrade. Someone who is comfortable receiving the ball on the half turn, provides technical security on the ball, and has the physical and athletic capabilities to contain opposition transition in open spaces.

Mainoo absolutely should be given game time because he has all the traits to be a metronome for us.
The player you describe sounds a lot like Rodri. I wonder who we can find.

Ekeke

Maybe in Germany his physical advantage will compensate for his lack of technique. Here the physical level is so high that this isn't case. Possibly it could work there.
I dont think so. I expect he would play as much or less than Gravenberch and be a failed idea. Think he'd be much better off trying to get to Roma with Mourinho

Bobski

He is much more capable than people want to accept. They have made up their mind and enjoy the dopamine hit of shitting on him. I mean, look at the reaction to his cameo on Saturday, from the first handful of posts in his player thread;

" He's the worst United player I've ever seen get semi-regular minutes"

" he’s basically useless "

" Guy is useless."

"he is the worst player in the history of club to have played the amount he has."

" he was hopeless after he came on".

Holy Hyperbole, from like one bad pass and a freekick given away. However Bayern would be the wrong move from him, would likely fall into the same role he has here, needs to go somewhere play regularly and build on his Scotland momentum.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They have spent €150m and recouped nearly €100m. I dont see how FFP is a problem
That was gonna be my point. Bayern have zero issues with FFP. They were good at selling over the last years. Their net spend was between €40m and €60m over the last years.
On top of that they have no debt and only marginal dividend payouts.

Castia

He is much more capable than people want to accept. They have made up their mind and enjoy the dopamine hit of shitting on him. I mean, look at the reaction to his cameo on Saturday, from the first handful of posts in his player thread;

" Guy is useless."

"he is the worst player in the history of club to have played the amount he has."

Holy Hyperbole, from like one bad pass and a freekick given away. However Bayern would be the wrong move from him, would likely fall into the same role he has here, needs to go somewhere play regularly and build on his Scotland momentum.
He’s failed to impress for years, probably hundreds of games at this point. He’s had a few good moments and games for sure but ultimately he’s nowhere near the level required

If there was a poll on selling/keeping Scott Id guess 80% would sell it’s no secret that’s he’s bang average. Not accepting West Ham‘s 35m offer and them walking away is a massive reason why we can’t get players in the manager actually wants

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
TBF i think he'd be quite a good player for pretty much anyone outside the CL clubs in the prem if they understood how to use him, as an attacking box to box. He's quite good at that. Bayern thinking he'd be a holding mid is weird.

pascell

Ideal situation would be straight swap for Pavard, get Gravenberch on loan with an obligation to buy. Sell Maguire and get a young understudy to Casemiro, or use Mainoo when he's back fit.

Idxomer

Who is worse who played more than 200 games? It's one out of him, Fred, Lingard and Young and for me, it's clearly him.

devips

" Guy is useless."

Exactly.

The poster just above is a big know-all.

al tuna

Can't wrap my head around this one. He hides in plain sight on the pitch. McT potentially going to Bayern Munich was not on my 2023 bingo card.

Bobski

Who is worse who played more than 200 games? It's one out of him, Fred, Lingard and Young and for me, it's clearly him.
And that's fine, all 3 of them were better than the general disdain for them would suggest as well. Though not sure how you are judging him against guys like Stafford, Grimwood, Vose and co. It is a bit dramatic when discussing a 15 min sub appearance.

whitbyviking

Bayern about to make a meme out of us by taking Scotty Mc to win a title and have a deep CL run. Swap him for Choupo Moting plus some money

CG1010

So in summary.

Bayern get McTominay.
Liverpool get Gravenberch.
Donny gets another chance and it is just like a new signing.
I know you are joking, but I think we must have a midfielder in mind who the press possibility hasn't got a whiff off. Could even be Gravenberch.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I fail to understand how Bayern sees him being a holding midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.