Sean Dyche

Hughes35

He really has done a fantastic job at Burnley. They've always been my second club after going to see them a lot as a teenager. They've come a long way since having Micha Hyde and Brian Jensen as two of their best players.

Everton does look like a fairly logical step but a tough place to go at the moment! Does anybody see a better club for him to go to though? Surely Everton is better than a Palace, Stoke, West Ham etc?

Reactions: KM

RooneyLegend

Don't understand the hype around him. They don't play the sort of football any big club or aspiring big club would want to see on a consistent basis. If Everton want to move forward as a club they should hire big sam til the end of the season if they are still in crisis by the midway stage then hire Silva in the summer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't understand the hype around him. They don't play the sort of football any big club or aspiring big club would want to see on a consistent basis. If Everton want to move forward as a club they should hire big sam til the end of the season if they are still in crisis by the midway stage then hire Silva in the summer.
The hype is due to the fact that he sold his two best players in the summers and yet have done excellently in the new season. They've a youngish squad with a very manageable wage bill.

Also why the fact that he doesn't play attacking football yet is held against him? He's never been given the resources to do that.

Just to remphasise the fact about their wage bill, last season their highest wage earner was Robbie Brady on 30-35k.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Probably the only hyped English manager atm who is actually good. Should take the Everton job, he won't get a better offer to prove himself in England. Be a shame for Burnley though, he's been a cracking servant for them.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I tend to agree with Jaime. He might not get a better chance than that. See how quickly Eddie Howie's hype died out.

And Everton are a better place than people here would have you believe. They're a healthy club with new owners, a new stadium on the way and a squad that while "unbalanced" is still way better than what Burnley have and they're sitting at 7th with a bit of good coaching.

He has to see what they'd want from him though. If it's more of the same but on a bigger scale - building slowly and steadily, grinding results with good defensive foundation and teamwork - he's their guy. Otherwise they might've been better off sticking with Koeman.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's doing very well, I'm impressed. He's squeezing just about every bit of quality he can out of his squad and has obviously used his relative shoe string wage bill and transfer kitty to great effect.

As for moving on I hope he doesn't given what a great job he's done at Burnley, but we have to be realistic that even with the yawning gap between the two in the table the Everton job is clearly bigger than his current berth.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I think he is peaking and needs to move on within the next 12 months to progress his career.

If he gets offered the Everton job he should take it.
Why? Burnley are so much better than Everton atm, plus they don't demand him miracles, just to stay up.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why? Burnley are so much better than Everton atm, plus they don't demand him miracles, just to stay up.
Everton are a bigger club, with greater potential, better finances, bigger support.
Dyche has done a fine job for Burnley, but he has taken them about as far as they could realistically hope for.
It's a no brainer really, Everton is definately a promotion for him.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It would be a bad move for him.

Everton are doing a Newcastle from when they went down after Ashley first took charge.
It’s a job in 3 to 4 managers time for someone, not now.

It’s a team that needs rebuilding from front to back as it’s full of nothing players.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Everton are a bigger club, with greater potential, better finances, bigger support.
Dyche has done a fine job for Burnley, but he has taken them about as far as they could realistically hope for.
It's a no brainer really, Everton is definately a promotion for him.
He will be sacked in less than 2 years!

He should stay where he is!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I would steer clear of Everton or any club until the summer. Everton are a bad club right now and they would do well to finish midtable, which should be possible given they are 3 or 4 points from 10th or so. And because they spent so heavily this past year due to the sale of Lukaku, will a new manager be able to have a similar transfer budget? No guarantees even if Everton have a new(ish) majority owner. Plus Everton have a football structure that may reduce Dyche's influence on transfer dealings and any team selections.

Would he leave Burnley in the middle of a season? He cannot buy any of his key players nor would he be able to bring in his staff, at least if I were Burnley I wouldn't allow it until the summer. The learning curve would be very steep and he has zero relationships with any of the current Everton players from what I can tell.

Burnley has been a yo-yo club for the past three to five years, so he still has a lot to prove and improve upon.
There is nothing 'bad' about Everton currently. Its Koeman and now Unsworth who seem utterly clueless at using the tools at their disposal. The only problem that club has upfront is pace in attack. Yet consistently fail to find space for at least two of the pace merchants in the squad from Lookman, Niasse, Calvert-Lewein, Mirallas, Lennon or Bolasie in the starting 11. If they kept pace in attack the goals in midfield would help spread the goals around. And even the pace merchants upfront would share goals with Ramirez. Because replacing Lukaku's goal consistency was always set to be a tall order. But replacing his pace never was. That is why I laughed when I heard Koeman claim signing paceless Giroud would have 'solved' his issues and saved his job. I doubt if a Dyche took up that job he'd prove as clueless.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Everton's squad is very underwhelming and the new manager needs to get rid of at least two expensive new signings (Rooney, klaassen). Additionally you have declining CBs, a declining lb, no CF (this ex Barca guy is not good enough) and that leaves you still with overpaid players like Schneidelin.
No manager can win while taking over now. Even next summer will be tough. Nobody is going to get praised for finishing Top10 with them.

Everton totally bottled the last transfer window and it will take time to solve this mess.

RooneyLegend

The hype is due to the fact that he sold his two best players in the summers and yet have done excellently in the new season. They've a youngish squad with a very manageable wage bill.

Also why the fact that he doesn't play attacking football yet is held against him? He's never been given the resources to do that.

Just to remphasise the fact about their wage bill, last season their highest wage earner was Robbie Brady on 30-35k.
Well his two best players werent all that good as warford and Everton are finding out. I'm not seeing why he has more hype than big Sam or Pulis, its the same tumescent stuff. Around the world those wages are incredible and many good players would be tempted to join a prem club on them. No big team or any team with ambitions of reaching a hire level should be looking at a manager playing that sort of football. Rodgers' Swansea were in a similar situation when they came up and played significantly better football.

luke511

Well his two best players werent all that good as warford and Everton are finding out. I'm not seeing why he has more hype than big Sam or Pulis, its the same tumescent stuff. Around the world those wages are incredible and many good players would be tempted to join a prem club on them. No big team or any team with ambitions of reaching a hire level should be looking at a manager playing that sort of football. Rodgers' Swansea were in a similar situation when they came up and played significantly better football.
Surely those players not doing as well at other clubs is testament to Dyches' ability to get the best out of what he has available? I don't know how that point discredits him as a manager.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Probably the only hyped English manager atm who is actually good. Should take the Everton job, he won't get a better offer to prove himself in England. Be a shame for Burnley though, he's been a cracking servant for them.
He shouldnt take the Everton job. Theyre a sinking ship and it could do more harm than good.

itso 7

He really has done a fantastic job at Burnley. They've always been my second club after going to see them a lot as a teenager. They've come a long way since having Micha Hyde and Brian Jensen as two of their best players.

Everton does look like a fairly logical step but a tough place to go at the moment! Does anybody see a better club for him to go to though? Surely Everton is better than a Palace, Stoke, West Ham etc?
This is the only time that a club like Everton will look at someone like him because if they weren't in trouble and it wasn't mid season they would have more time to look for someone more accomplished. With players at his disposal and with him still being fairly new he could address their one paced attack temporarily by playing the likes of Mirallas who are a bit quicker at least until January where he can look to bring in the players with pace. If he doesn't take the next step now he may never get another one as good as this.

RooneyLegend

The thing is he deserves a better shot than Everton

Surely those players not doing as well at other clubs is testament to Dyches' ability to get the best out of what he has available? I don't know how that point discredits him as a manager.
Why would a better club than Everton subject itself to that sort of football?

Gray only scored like 8 goals last season anyways, and Keane is a run of the mill defender. They hardly the sort of players that are going to have management pulling their hair out thinking about how to replace them. It doesn't discredit him, just don't see why it's such a big deal that he lost players that weren't all that good to begin with and managed to replace them.

Acole9

Outstanding
Even if it is a risk it's one well worth taking. He's done all he can at Burnley, he needs a new and bigger challenge.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He shouldnt take the Everton job. Theyre a sinking ship and it could do more harm than good.
What other job could he take where if he does well he'd be in with a shout at managing a top 4 club? He's easily capable of keeping them up this year so if there's a bit of money knocking around in the summer then there's no reason he can't progress next year. Sure, if he's happy with the mid table gig he should stay at Burnley til he's gone as far as he can, but otherwise he'd be a fool not to have a crack at Everton if he has any ambition.

Hughes35

This is the only time that a club like Everton will look at someone like him because if they weren't in trouble and it wasn't mid season they would have more time to look for someone more accomplished. With players at his disposal and with him still being fairly new he could address their one paced attack temporarily by playing the likes of Mirallas who are a bit quicker at least until January where he can look to bring in the players with pace. If he doesn't take the next step now he may never get another one as good as this.
Exactly my thinking. People that say he should hold on until the summer just don't get it in my opinion, come the summer there may only be a job like Bournemouth available and that's just a sideways step + the other end of the country. I'd love to see him stay at Burnley from a biased view point but if I was him I'd take Everton now. Also It's better taking a club when things can't get much worse. If he made Everton finish 10th this season it would still be seen as acceptable.

Reactions: SteveJ

Mike09

Burnley didn't sack him when they got relegated in 2014/2015. The club has fully trusted him and I think he should stay in Burnley at least until end of the season to learn more. He still has a lot more to prove before moving to bigger club.

itso 7

What other job could he take where if he does well he'd be in with a shout at managing a top 4 club? He's easily capable of keeping them up this year so if there's a bit of money knocking around in the summer then there's no reason he can't progress next year. Sure, if he's happy with the mid table gig he should stay at Burnley til he's gone as far as he can, but otherwise he'd be a fool not to have a crack at Everton if he has any ambition.
Another thing is that these types of situations do not last long so in a couple of years Burnley could be relegated and himself out of a job however if he takes a forward step with Everton he could either succeed there and open up new horizons or it could turn to shit but he'd still find himself attractive to the likes of Palace, West Ham etc a la Moyes.
Exactly my thinking. People that say he should hold on until the summer just don't get it in my opinion, come the summer there may only be a job like Bournemouth available and that's just a sideways step + the other end of the country. I'd love to see him stay at Burnley from a biased view point but if I was him I'd take Everton now. Also It's better taking a club when things can't get much worse. If he made Everton finish 10th this season it would still be seen as acceptable.
Right on, Everton is by no means a shit club or in any way toxic - as things stand its a matter of tightening up the defence to ensure that losses turn into draws and utilize the quicker players within the squad until January then look at the loan market and a few bargains in the winter window.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They've just moved into the top 4 and that without most of their first choice XI (Heaton, Mee, Ward, Lowton and Brady). Miracle worker.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Pep will win it obviously, but for me Dyche is putting in a Premier League Manager of the Season performance.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Really pushing above their weight. Amazing season. I just can't describe what Dyche is doing.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Pep will win it obviously, but for me Dyche is putting in a Premier League Manager of the Season performance.
If Dyche does manage to get top four I reckon he'd be in with a strong chance. If Pep manages to amass a 95+ points total he'll probably edge it out, but an impressive but relatively normal total may allow Dyche to win it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Burnley currently on course to secure 65 points this season.

Fair play to 'em.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's managers like him that make everyone else look bad. Burnley are working with one of the lowest budgets and wage bills in the division fighting clubs who spend 10's of millions every window for a Champions League spot, of all things!

Other chairmen actually have a right to ask why their managers need so much money to achieve the same thing and rightly point towards Dyche if any kind of resistance is met to the question.

It's not a fluke by now because this thread was created last season and he's just continued along the same path on a shoestring budget.

The mental thing is that, if it were not for City, Burnley would actually be in the company of the remainder who could actually win the league.

If they still look strong past the festive period, they've no reason not to chase a CL spot. If they got that, Dyche should be named manager of the year. Pep is playing Football Manager on its easiest setting with an unlimited budget. Mourinho is not far behind, and the other CL chasers are playing on relative easy mode compared to Dyche who has all setting set to the most difficult possible, which sets him apart from the rest.

As ever with these romantic stories, as long as it does not bother us, I wish him all the success in the world. Heads would roll if Burnley snatched a CL spot from one of the clubs seriously expecting to get it. Just imagine! :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wouldn't want to be a Sevilla fan just now.

Probably be waking up in a cold sweat thinking Burnley will knock them out in last 16 of 2019 CL. :drool:

Paul_Scholes18

Very good manager. I think Burnley as a club deserve credit and they stuck with him even going down. It is that kind of support a good manager needs and that can help him build up something great.

I think that is the big difference between Burnley and most weaker sides in the premier league. They stick behind the manager and that does build trust and allow the team to work and improve together. The lower expectations also help them stay grounded. They should not raise the bar too high now cause then the fall can be even higher, but they should keep building and improving the team.

el3mel

He made Burnely a very solid team especially at home. Last season they were impressive and very solid at home too, and this season he's pushing them even more farther up in the table. He's getting the best out of his squad in an impressive manner.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
A very good manager who comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

luke511

If Pochettino leaves Tottenham in the near future, Dyche has proven he's worthy of a job role of that calibre.

luke511

Feck it, give him a big budget and he'd be good enough for the utd job. What can Mourinho do that he can't?