Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexUTD

He can strike a ball with either foot with incredible power. And if we add Bruno Fernandes to the squad, then I foresee us scoring quite a few worldies next season.
We would actually have 3 in the midfield that is comfortable with the ball in their legs and can pass the ball and can score great goals. If Pogba stays that is.

Would get alot more goals from midfield that is for sure! and if we could add a CB boss with Wan Bissaka coming in we will be alot better at defending also.:drool:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Add a centre back to that and I think it’s a good window for us.
If we'll add a leading centre back then it's a superb window with honest intent to repair damages done by last years of apathy on our side.

I don't think it's so far away financially as United can recoup lots of funds from selling Lukaku, Darmian and Sanchez. It just needs some brave decisions.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If we'll add a leading centre back then it's a superb window with honest intent to repair damages done by last years of apathy on our side.

I don't think it's so far away financially as United can recoup lots of funds from selling Lukaku, Darmian and Sanchez. It just needs some brave decisions.
Definitely. On top of that we have some really talented youngsters coming through from the academy. I expect Greenwood, Chong and Gomes to feature for us next season too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Definitely. On top of that we have some really talented youngsters coming through from the academy. I expect Greenwood, Chong and Gomes to feature for us next season too.
That thing right there may save us even more funds even if only one of them make it on big level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Flex is one of the lads that helps run the YouTube channel 'United Stand'

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nothing against him as he might be a talent, but if next season we line up with James, Longstaff and AWB while loosing Pogba and Lukaku we might be in for a very rough ride due to the level of inexperience. We already have players like Rashford, Martial and Dalot that are inconsistent due to age, this will only increase. We might have to write off not just next season but the season after.
Lukaku, at least the Lukaku of the season just finished, is no loss at all. Other than a small good patch around March, he was atrocious all season.

On the other hand, Pogba would obviously be a huge loss. But I highly doubt he's going anywhere, and I would hope that if we sign Longstaff and he is the player he looks to be, that will finally mean we have another player able to control the team around so Pogba doesn't have to do everything himself.

RedorDead21

Lukaku, at least the Lukaku of the season just finished, is no loss at all. Other than a small good patch around March, he was atrocious all season.

On the other hand, Pogba would obviously be a huge loss. But I highly doubt he's going anywhere, and I would hope that if we sign Longstaff and he is the player he looks to be, that will finally mean we have another player able to control the team around so Pogba doesn't have to do everything himself.
Pogba can hardly dress himself never mind do everything himself I don't get where that view comes from like he carries our midfield. If he did we'd have finished in the top 4.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Pogba can hardly dress himself never mind do everything himself I don't get where that view comes from like he carries our midfield. If he did we'd have finished in the top 4.
Pogba was inconsistent as all hell, but the same can be said for just about every other player we have. He was basically 50/50 all season bouncing between good periods and poor periods. The sad reality is that 50/50 is actually a better percentage of good performances than just about every other player, and there's no doubt that his good periods were far better than anyone else.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

flappyjay

Hurry up and take my money. :drool:

This kid is the next Carrick. I’m convinced. I’ve also never seen him play or even heard of him before we were linked with him. All that doesn’t matter now. Want want want.
I was pissed off with the links to him then I saw a YouTube compilation and was sold.

SATA

If he's really good, why wouldn't Newcastle keep him themselves for another year or two? He is still young and barely even played in the first team for them. I am sure they would love to have more of him and then sell him for more if he really becomes good as his hype and potential

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't we also have James Garner who is the next Michael Carrick? How many Carrick clones do we need?
You can never have too many. We'd be sorted if we had Michael Carrick in midfield right now :drool::(

jackal&hyde

That is what i want most of all from our new midfield next season, more then just one player that can make a decisive pass. I just can't understand why we would choose a 21 yo with 9 PL games in his career rather then a 22 yo Neves that is much more accomplished in the PL and has more in his locker. Is Longstaff a bigger talent? Are we skint and can't buy Wolves players? Have we gone Brexit in the transfer market? I'm joking but i'm also confused :lol:

SATA

That is what i want most of all from our new midfield next season, more then just one player that can make a decisive pass. I just can't understand why we would choose a 21 yo with 9 PL games in his career rather then a 22 yo Neves that is much more accomplished in the PL and has more in his locker. Is Longstaff a bigger talent? Are we skint and can't buy Wolves players? Have we gone Brexit in the transfer market? I'm joking but i'm also confused :lol:
Neves isn't very good and he will cost about 60m. Moutinho is the one who holds the Wolves midfield together, according to the Wolves fans themselves

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hurry up and take my money. :drool:

This kid is the next Carrick. I’m convinced. I’ve also never seen him play or even heard of him before we were linked with him. All that doesn’t matter now. Want want want.
What I really liked reading from that article was the following...

"Here is a 'man' (he is only 21 after all) who was born to wear the Newcastle armband. Ready to give his all for the shirt, and get stuck into teammates who aren't doing the same. You don't find his type all that often"

GJNJ

What I really liked reading from that article was the following...

"Here is a 'man' (he is only 21 after all) who was born to wear the Newcastle armband. Ready to give his all for the shirt, and get stuck into teammates who aren't doing the same. You don't find his type all that often"
That's definitely the type of personality we needs.

Mainoldo

If Pogba stays :

------------Rashford-----------

---Martial--------------Somebody New--

-----Pogba---Fernandes---

------------Longstaff------------

I think the latter will happen and I'll be quite alright with that.
Looks a lot better. Even though I know nothing about this fella.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
We need to go back to our roots, so if buying British young talents is our new philosophy then I’m all for it. Daniel James, Aaron Wan Bissaka, James Maddison and this young guy all fits that bill. All of them seems to be honest hard working team players with the right attitude.

sherrinford

Neves has only played a season in the Premier League, and has done well but I wouldn’t say he stuck out particularly. Does he have more in his locker? I wouldn’t know, but those who describe Longstaff’s abilities give the impression that he has a fairly varied skill set.

Chairman Steve

Don't we also have James Garner who is the next Michael Carrick? How many Carrick clones do we need?
The teams who strive to be the best always have more than one option in their ranks, plus with European games going there’s more than enough minutes to go around.

I’m down for buying Longstaff. He strikes me as a Sir Alex signing back in the day. At worst he’d be a good squad player like Young (back when Young was a winger) and at best he’d be one of the first names on the starting XI teamsheet like his comparison sake Carrick.

Inter Yer Nan

I must say I'm liking the scouting reports on this lad and while he may not necessarily walk into our team next season if we can snap him up for the prices quoted then I'd think he's well worth the punt.

SteveW

Google's definition of literally; "Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling."

You are literally clueless.
Dumb decks bastardise language. Google says it's ok. Idiots take it as gospel.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No. I’ve watched a fair amount of Newcastle academy and reserve games, though.

Longstaff hype seems like a classic case of excitement taking precedence over reality. If Matic were to move to Newcastle tomorrow then he’d walk into their first team, displace Longstaff (and whoever else they have in there) and be worshipped immediately as their best player. Just because he isn’t flavour of the month at United doesn’t determine that Sean Longstaff would come in and improve on him. He wouldn’t.
Spot on

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Neves isn't very good and he will cost about 60m. Moutinho is the one who holds the Wolves midfield together, according to the Wolves fans themselves
:confused:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I was intrigued to hear Newcastle fans' comparing him to Carrick, after watching a few of his performances last season I can definitely see the similarities.

Rewatching Newcastle's win over City last season, City for all of their intricate play, found it extremely difficult to penetrate through the centre of Newcastle. Longstaff's positioning and pressing was key.

His technical skills look good, he's confident receiving the ball on either foot & in tight situations.

He's got a tall wiry frame but he's actually mobile and aggressive which is slightly different from Carrick as he was a bit more passive.

But his intelligent defensive positioning, two-footedness and sharp long-range passing are just like how Carrick was.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Garner has not long since turned 18. You don't get many DM or ball playing midfielders in a PL team at 18. His time will come if hes good enough.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Never seen this lad play (apart from YouTube), so can make no comment. It may be that he has been spotted playing in the age groups, against United, and shown up very well, and we may have had a marker on him waiting for the time he broke into the first team, and then seeing how he performs? It looks like people within the club may have been doing their homework and spotted his potential. All hypothetical of course, but I'm not knocking it if it comes off, they may have unearthed a gem, or not of course (a lot of this is in the media, and could be a massive red herring).

Cliche Guevara

With the benefit of hindsight (yes, I know) had we signed Wan Bissaka last summer, on the back of his first few months, he’d have been excellent for us and we’d likely have made Champions League. That despite the turbulent season we endured.

Sometimes players quickly show they’ve got it and if so, why wait?

I’ve only seen a couple of minutes of YouTube but he does look good. If his performances have been thoroughly analysed, and he’s considered good enough, he’d likely be an upgrade on Matic.

Obviously he’ll still have a lot to learn but hopefully he’d do that here and it will save us £50m next summer.

Edit to add: plus the above post.

Le Red

Longstaff hype seems like a classic case of excitement taking precedence over reality. If Matic were to move to Newcastle tomorrow then he’d walk into their first team, displace Longstaff (and whoever else they have in there) and be worshipped immediately as their best player. Just because he isn’t flavour of the month at United doesn’t determine that Sean Longstaff would come in and improve on him. He wouldn’t.
Lies. Matic is one injury away from being shot behind a barn.

I used to rate Matic very highly but he's as done as Sanchez. Even if Longstaff is overhyped as you say, I seriously doubt he wouldn't be an upgrade over a player turned zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.