Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

We have scouts all over the globe apparently - if this is the new policy we might as well sack the lot and save an absolute fortune !
But then Sports Witness wont be able to report that we have scouts watching every single game in Portugal. Not to mention a lot of seemingly useless scouts will need a new cushy number.

Jokes aside havent been following Newcastle this season, is Longstaff currently injured? Or is he back from an injury? How serious was/is it?

Slysi17

This British focus is wearing thin. We can do fecking a lot better than Sean Longstaff.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't really understand the necessity of having Longstaff signed in time to go on the tour, my understanding is that he is still injured and is a way off of full training as yet.
Which also makes me wonder how a medical would be conducted if a player is already known to be injured?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't really understand the necessity of having Longstaff signed in time to go on the tour, my understanding is that he is still injured and is a way off of full training as yet.
Which also makes me wonder how a medical would be conducted if a player is already known to be injured?
He's back running from what I read. He's all set for pre-season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's back running from what I read. He's all set for pre-season.
He said a month ago he was running and starting ball work, so he should be fine by now you'd expect.

RedorDead21

This British focus is wearing thin. We can do fecking a lot better than Sean Longstaff.
If they are quality I don't care where they were born. He's got everything we need in a midfielder for his age and price. A no brainer to get in now with the turmoil at Newcastle. A perfect example of a player we'd all be moaning we don't spot in time if he went somewhere else.

Last edited:

Cliche Guevara

In my limited viewing and knowledge of this guy I do think he looks potentially brilliant.

He’s obviously just recently burst onto the scene but, similar to Wan Bissaka, once you’ve proved you can do it how many more times do you have to re-prove it?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes straight in and does extremely well.

Dozer

There are plenty of injured players who've passed medicals, and likewise fit players who've failed them. It's more about assessing underlying issues and the likelihood of recurring injuries, or high risk areas because of their physiology or movement patterns (see Fergie deciding not to sign Jordan Henderson because of his running style).

Taking me as an example (if I had the talent) I have a femuro-acetabular impingement (an extra bone spur in my hip). I'm fit at the moment and am available for most games every season, but occasionally it causes injury to the surrounding muscles. I'd most definitely fail a medical because of it.

Reactions: Adzzz

roseguy64

In my limited viewing and knowledge of this guy I do think he looks potentially brilliant.

He’s obviously just recently burst onto the scene but, similar to Wan Bissaka, once you’ve proved you can do it how many more times do you have to re-prove it?

At least over a full season would help. Players can burst onto the scene and then quickly amount to not much. That's the majority of players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You haven't watched him play 1 full game is my bet. If he was playing for Gremio and called Longstaffio you'd be creaming yourself

Smores

This reminds me of the time the caf laughed off the idea of selling Januzaj to PSG. In fact there's an endless list of such players at our own club never mind other clubs, you all just forget the lads the moment they're no longer the temporarily hyped player.

angusaa07

I have no problems signing players like Longstaff and James young British and talented with potential but we need to mix these type of players with genuine quality and we have a lack of that at the moment. We should sign these type of players along side some quality additions.

zenith

I'd love for this to go through. it's a relativity more risk yet potentially high return signing. People who also always mention that we need to develop players before they become really big and we end out spending huge money for them.

poleglass red

At least over a full season would help. Players can burst onto the scene and then quickly amount to not much. That's the majority of players.
fair point, but at his current value it's almost worth taking the chance, 25 mill is nothing these days. He's an aggressive player, something we have been lacking for yrs. He's also very mobile, someone to cover the likes of Pogba if he stays, or whatever new creative players we introduce. Again we don't have that in our midfield currently.This lad's passing is also very good. Problem is one good season and a few England caps and his value doubles or trebles next season, and one good season doesn't neccassirly guarantee he'd be a success. Not even that, there would then be more clubs in for him as well. Right now Ashley sees him as pure profit, player cost them nothing and make a 25 million profit on him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Some of the ridicule this lad is getting from United fans (mostly social media) after not even seeing him play a single game is laughable.

I'm hoping we wrap this signing up soon and he goes onto show his ability in the first team. He's a player that has stood out against the likes of City and Chelsea and I don't believe he'll have too much trouble getting ahead of the likes of McTominay who is limited in comparison. Fred who is one footed and hasn't shown anything thus far. Matic who is immobile in comparison and is inferior as a long passer. Longstaff also has much higher work rate than Matic.

He's a player that has played really well against the likes of Man City and Chelsea for a struggling Newcastle team fighting relegation. The level of performance he displayed against those strong midfields was higher than anything I saw from Matic in any game last season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also worth remembering that while we (the fans) are judging him of a short run of PL games, the club have almost certainly been aware of him since he was a youth player, which makes a difference in terms of the confidence they have in his talents.

Cliche Guevara

This reminds me of the time the caf laughed off the idea of selling Januzaj to PSG. In fact there's an endless list of such players at our own club never mind other clubs, you all just forget the lads the moment they're no longer the temporarily hyped player.
It’s not really anything like that though.

Ace of Spades

Some of the ridicule this lad is getting from United fans (mostly social media) after not even seeing him play a single game is laughable.

I'm hoping we wrap this signing up soon and he goes onto show his ability in the first team. He's a player that has stood out against the likes of City and Chelsea and I don't believe he'll have too much trouble getting ahead of the likes of McTominay who is limited in comparison. Fred who is one footed and hasn't shown anything thus far. Matic who is immobile in comparison and is inferior as a long passer. Longstaff also has much higher work rate than Matic.

He's a player that has played really well against the likes of Man City and Chelsea for a struggling Newcastle team fighting relegation. The level of performance he displayed against those strong midfields was higher than anything I saw from Matic in any game last season.
The most important part is that he has the raw talent to be a very good player. I can understand the moaning if the price tag was 40m+, but at 20m this is a very safe punt.

Cliche Guevara

I get that, but in terms of taking a cheap punt he has shown he can perform to a high level.

There’s enough there to suggest he could actually turn into an excellent acquisition this season, but people are making out he’s a totally pointless signing.

At the money quoted I’m all for it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure why Luckhurst behaves like this at times. Beats me.

A9X SJ

Be strange for them to sell him & also Perez - But I suppose it is Mike Ashley doesn't help future buyers when he's selling future assets

Hughie77

This boy has been scouted when he was younger, he's been watched, as has others all over the globe, if UTD bid for him he's not another Bebe ?

He's one that is going to fit the bill at what ole wants if reports are true, we are looking at him? In his 8 or 9 games for the Toon, I think he had Motm twice? And one was against City i think?
Let's just see how things pan out.

SteveW

It would be nice to have somebody with his shooting ability in midfield. We haven't had anyone since Scholes who can strike a ball like he can. Nothing like a good screamer from time to time.

luke511

It would be nice to have somebody with his shooting ability in midfield. We haven't had anyone since Scholes who can strike a ball like he can. Nothing like a good screamer from time to time.
Bruno Fernandes is the man for that.

George The Best

Got to be worth a punt at the price surely?

Have to say though, it’s a pretty damning indictment of our Academy/Youth system at the mo that we’ve got to buy James and this lad to plug some holes.

Davicho

Carrick had a great both-feet strike on him, but sadly he hardly used that.

Castia

Got to be worth a punt at the price surely?

Have to say though, it’s a pretty damning indictment of our Academy/Youth system at the mo that we’ve got to buy James and this lad to plug some holes.

A little worrying they're willing to sell for so little though

I mean the reported £25m is nothing in this market, they just got more for Perez from Leicester, how good is Longstaff?

Feels like we wasn't in for a midfielder but Herrera left so we are trying to fill a spot on the cheap.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A little worrying they're willing to sell for so little though

I mean the reported £25m is nothing in this market, they just got more for Perez from Leicester, how good is Longstaff?

Feels like we wasn't in for a midfielder but Herrera left so we are trying to fill a spot on the cheap.
They need the money. Perez is more established than Longstaff and arguably Newcastle's star player. He's also in an attacking position which makes him a premium buy when compared to a holding midfielder, but I think Longstaff really has potential to be a big player. From the 8 games this season I preferred seeing him to Rice, who has probably has a £40-50m price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.