Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

26 year old Fred can not handle the league physically , how will he?

Long staff wont be a fringe player.
So Fred can't handle the physicality, but Longstaff can. And Garner won't be able to because of Fred's height even though Garner is as tall as Longstaff.

Or maybe it's about overall size, not just height. In which case somebody should tell Poch why he played 18 year old Oliver Skipp.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Errr, all 4 teams you quoted have no player anywhere close to the level of Pogba or De Gea. I know it's all good and fun to shit on us, but try sticking to reality.
Actually now you mention it on present form I would not take either into Leicester's starting 11 alone; Schmeichel is more consistent than De Gea and Pogba would be poisonous for our team of enthusiastic but impressionable youngsters.

Propel above Leicester? We had such a meltdown season and still finished 6th.

You were closer to 16th placed team than 6th
I’m confused, why do we need to propel ourselves above you? We are already better than you. Barring some sort of miracle, there is no evidence that LCFC or any of the other teams you mentioned will be better than us next season. While the gap narrowed a little this season, what makes you think that the club is going to stagnate and let those teams overtake us?

We are not in the best place right now but there is no evidence that the decline is permanent. There are excellent academy products coming through and we have strengthened with the AWB signing (despite what you think). We will keep strengthening hopefully with Bruno Fernandes et al. There is no sign that our owners are willing to let the club slump into “another eight” mediocrity.
In my post I wrote a needlessly excessive amount on why your midseason bounce under Solskjaer shouldn't be counted towards your assertion that you will be better than the likes of ourselves next season, any more than Leicester's title win under Ranieri could towards the assertion that we would retain it the following year. Here are the points fewer you achieved than the aforementioned sides if we take away the Cardiff->PSG Solskjaer bounce:
Wolves -5 points
Leicester -5 points
West Ham -3 points
Everton -8 points

You also debate that the wealth disparity between the top of the league and the rest of the league, and with it the relative quality of the squads, has narrowed over the past decade or so? You are being closed down; whether you will finally be caught in the future is the point of my posts as I don't know which one of the two ways it will go, those being either you develop these players to their full potential and rocket towards a title challenge, or you don't and the interminable improvement of other sides means you are overtaken. But in the immediate term regardless there's little to say that the likes of AWB and Longstaff are going to propel you further away from the likes of Leicester, for example do you think either would go into Leicester's starting 11? I also quite clearly never said that your owners would accept dropping below the aforementioned challenging sides, but that in the evitable war of attrition I do not back their motivation to be the most inexhaustable.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Actually now you mention it on present form I would not take either into Leicester's starting 11 alone; Schmeichel is more consistent than De Gea and Pogba would be poisonous for our team of enthusiastic but impressionable youngsters.

In my post I wrote a needlessly excessive amount on why your midseason bounce under Solskjaer shouldn't be counted towards your assertion that you will be better than the likes of ourselves next season, any more than Leicester's title win under Ranieri could towards the assertion that we would retain it the following year. Here are the points fewer you achieved than the aforementioned sides if we take away the Cardiff->PSG Solskjaer bounce:
Wolves -5 points
Leicester -5 points
West Ham -3 points
Everton -8 points

You also debate that the wealth disparity between the top of the league and the rest of the league, and with it the relative quality of the squads, has narrowed over the past decade or so? You are being closed down; whether you will finally be caught in the future is the point of my posts as I don't know which one of the two ways it will go, those being either you develop these players to their full potential and rocket towards a title challenge, or you don't and the interminable improvement of other sides means you are overtaken. But in the immediate term regardless there's little to say that the likes of AWB and Longstaff are going to propel you further away from the likes of Leicester, for example do you think either would go into Leicester's starting 11? I also quite clearly never said that your owners would accept dropping below the aforementioned challenging sides, but that in the evitable war of attrition I do not back their motivation to be the most inexhaustable.
Yeah take out the wins and we are worse.

SteveW

United academy recruits turn out well-rounded, not "average". Our best academy graduates have no weaknesses, which puts them above 'average'. Few players have standout skills - like Messi, Ronnie. But many players get away with 'weaknesses': Lukaku (bad 1st touch), Matic (tallies on ball), even Pogba (lackadaisical spells), Martial (doesn't run as far as other players); until they actually arrive at OT and are exposed to the full light of fans criticisms. worldies arriving here only have their weaknesses revealed when we watch them week in/week out.
My issue with Longstaff is we already have similar: McTominay, Hamilton, ... A small issue, Ole and scouts are allowed their small punts. I like Longstaff.
Hamilton???? Give over.

And how is McTomminay similar?

We need to buy a few CMs over the next couple of seasons. There is plenty of room for Longstaff.

SteveW

If Longstaff turns out to be the new Carrick, I will hold my hands up. But as you say we have similar players here already in McTominay, Hamilton. You can add Garner and Traore to these also. They need to be given their chance.
Now if we were talking Ndombele or Partey, these are the players we should be going for now.
I's be certain Hamilton and Traore have zero bearing on first team planning. Did you just pick out two random midfielders from the younger ranks?

Longstaff is to McTominnay to me. More passing range and with his shooting he'll likely threaten 10 goals a season in the future. Either way there's loads of room for both, and also someone like Garner is he develops to be good enough.

dev1l

This Transfer looks a bit strange. Lots of reports saying we re interested and that Solskjaer hopes to sign Longstaff before going to Australia.
But nothing of substance... just incessant press gossip which won t go away.
Wonder what s really going on

dutchred

I's be certain Hamilton and Traore have zero bearing on first team planning. Did you just pick out two random midfielders from the younger ranks?

Longstaff is to McTominnay to me. More passing range and with his shooting he'll likely threaten 10 goals a season in the future. Either way there's loads of room for both, and also someone like Garner is he develops to be good enough.
Neither Traore nor Hamilton will make it at United. Besides Gomes and Greenwood (and possibly Chong) I can only see Garner Laird and Levitt making it with Williams and outside chance

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ben Yedder and Longstaff will be the next two. I don't buy the Bruno stories one bit. Never have. It's blatant BS.

SteveW

Neither Traore nor Hamilton will make it at United. Besides Gomes and Greenwood (and possibly Chong) I can only see Garner Laird and Levitt making it with Williams and outside chance
I think it's fairly obvious that Hamilton and Traore won't make it here.

Greenwood, Gomes, Garner & Laird are the ones with a chance imo. I like Levitt and Williams but think they'll fall short. Still don't know what to make of Chong after a few year watching him. Doesn't look good enough to me.

Toad

Actually pretty pleased if we get him now I have had time to think about it. It’s great getting young talent in which we haven’t focused on for a while.

If we get Maguire our defence is now solid (or better) and we look to be shaping up for a potential good future.

The only worry I have is I hope we are not just predominantly scouting young English talent. There is only so far young English talent will take us, it’s nice to have a core of English players coming through but there is also major talent from other nations. Maybe that’s the plan for next summer.

Longstaff and James aren’t going to raise our level straight away in my opinion. They will get regular minutes I’m sure (not tonnes) but will not make a massive impact in respect to getting top four. I think it’s Maguire and Wan Bissaka that will make the difference for us. If we are going to get top four we still need another top class midfielder and potentially a right winger if the budget is there which it probably isn’t.

Back to Longstaff though, I get the feeling he is going to be hungry for the competition and hope Solkjaer gets the best out of him. Nothing better than somebody who works there arse of when wearing the shirt. Scouts must have really been impressed with the limited games he has played so I’m actually very confident. I recon they have been scouting him for a long long time though from a young age.

Stubble

Longstaff would be a good long term purchase but not an immediate starter.
Midfield now looks like our main area needing bolstering with Herrera leaving and Pogba either leaving or potentially sulking next year. Partnered with Matic, McTominay, Fred and Periera that line-up wouldn't strike fear into our top 4 competitors i'm afraid.
I'm concerned with the lack of credible links to players in this area who would immediately slot in (or provide good options) to improve the situation. The Bruno stories have gone cold as have Tielemans, Rice etc. Probably 2 potential starters in MF are required or we'll struggle again next season and i really don't see us getting them in..

passing-wind

Midfield now looks like our main area needing bolstering with Herrera leaving and Pogba either leaving or potentially sulking next year. Partnered with Matic, McTominay, Fred and Periera that line-up wouldn't strike fear into our top 4 competitors i'm afraid.
I'm concerned with the lack of credible links to players in this area who would immediately slot in (or provide good options) to improve the situation. The Bruno stories have gone cold as have Tielemans, Rice etc. Probably 2 potential starters in MF are required or we'll struggle again next season and i really don't see us getting them in..
Echo these complaints before the market the availability of players: Rabiot, Ndombele, Tielemans, Neves, Rice. Of all some have moved and others there's no credible links. It's absolutely ridiculous, if Solskjaer has turnt down multinational professionals in favour of English invidiuals he's a nob head.

Stubble

Echo these complaints before the market the availability of players: Rabiot, Ndombele, Tielemans, Neves, Rice. Of all some have moved and others there's no credible links. It's absolutely ridiculous, if Solskjaer has turnt down multinational professionals in favour of English invidiuals he's a nob head.
Yes bringing in some hungry young English talent to supplement the squad is fine - but if we are ignoring proven international MF options that were available just to stick to this policy religiously that would be completely nuts and would yet again proove the lack of football nowse of Woodward and the those managing and making strategic decisions at this club.
We have scouts all over the globe apparently - if this is the new policy we might as well sack the lot and save an absolute fortune !

LuckyScout78

Easily good enough as squad and debth player in a winning premier league team. But as a regular starting line up. Im not sure yet. But i do like the way he was playing football, before he got injured. So i will definitive keep watching him, one to follow and watch out.

But i just got mine eyes on Fabian Ruiz from Spain and Napoli. Ruiz is a latin boy, so he is more aggressive, guts and explosive. Longstaff is a bit more calmer, even he can be aggresive too.

And if United is considering Longstaff. Then Fabian Ruiz and some other players from spanish league to consider too.

I think United need a more Kante/Fernadinho type of dcm/cm player. On Longstaff level. There are many players out there. Not from biggest club.

Last edited:

hubbuh

This Transfer looks a bit strange. Lots of reports saying we re interested and that Solskjaer hopes to sign Longstaff before going to Australia.
But nothing of substance... just incessant press gossip which won t go away.
Wonder what s really going on
Isn’t that the case with every rumour/potential transfer until you actually see the player literally signing on the dotted line?

SteveW

So many people seem to know how much impact Longstaff will have without ever watching him play. Why pretend to know more than you do?

Let's just wait and see

Gandalf

The state of this post. We have signed 2 British players in this window, Dan James who was a cheap punt and AWB who was clearly the best available option for a position of enormous need. We are currently linked to Ben Yedder, Fernandes, Tielemans and Olmo, none of whom grew up in Essex as far as I can tell. Not everyone thinks Ndombele is gods gift, I certainly don't and am not bothered we were not in for him and Rabiot was never picking Manchester and the Europa League over Turin, the Champions League and guaranteed league titles.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ben Yedder and Longstaff will be the next two. I don't buy the Bruno stories one bit. Never have. It's blatant BS.
Both those links seem to be a but flimsy too. Every few weeks they say we'll bid for Longstaff, then there's a brief from Newcastle saying they haven't heard anything from us and the player wants to stay, followed by silence. Rinse and repeat.

Been Yedder was one story from an obscure source. Nothing since then.

I'd be happy with both, along with Fernandes, but I'm not convinced we're in for them as it stands.

IrishRedDevil

If he sold Perez for £30m (who was their top scorer the last 2 seasons) you would guess he will definitely accept £20-£25m for Longstaff.

dasty

Hahahahaha if it helps you sleep better at night.

JMack1234

I think this will happen this week.

They've just sold one of their best players for £30 mil. They'll bite our hand off for £20-25 mil for a player who has played 9 games in the premier league.

BlueHaze

Not really because you can never guarantee that when signing anyone. There might also be a chance he'll be just another useless signing that will end up being sold to some mid table side for half the fee.

Hanky panky

Is this lad any good? Why i feel one Daniel James is enough for one summer. We need instant quality for starting eleven.

Scholsey2004

Is this lad any good? Why i feel one Daniel James is enough for one summer. We need instant quality for starting eleven.
He looks pretty decent. Let's be honest Fred and Pereira are no great shakes and I can't decide if matic is unmotivated or just past it. There's a lot of mid table premier league midfielders who'd get games here so there's no point turning our noses up at promising youngsters when what we've got in the main isn't anything special.

Status
Not open for further replies.