Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingshe7don

James garner is not physically ready to play in first team, just like Gomes.
First and foremost, the comparison being made was with respect to being a Carrick clone and not being physically ready for the first team. Either ways, spending more than 20m on Longstaff would be absolutely absurd when in actuality 40m would get you Tielemens.

Denis' cuff

The obvious advantage with signing British players is that they are more likely to stay and not have their heads turned by Barca/Madrid etc.

no guarantee of course but most of the contract rebels have been imported players, who don’t hold PL clubs in as high esteem as local players do and have a greater tendency to be mercenaries. The quality has to be there but there are plenty of decent domestic players around.

Patrick08

First and foremost, the comparison being made was with respect to being a Carrick clone and not being physically ready for the first team. Either ways, spending more than 20m on Longstaff would be absolutely absurd when in actuality 40m would get you Tielemens.
Not absurd at all, if he is a real talent then in few years we will be blasting the scouts and the board for not getting him earlier when his price shoots to 70m or Tottenham get him.

Ideally we need more midfielders and Tilemans would be ideal too along with long staff , and we shouldn't look at it like either or else, but seems like he is Leicester bound.

We won't regret long staff move at all.

beingshe7don

Not absurd at all, if he is a real talent then in few years we will be blasting the scouts and the board for not getting him earlier when his price shoots to 70m or Tottenham get him.

Ideally we need more midfielders and Tilemans would be ideal too along with long staff , and we shouldn't look at it like either or else, but seems like he is Leicester bound.

We won't regret long staff move at all.
Longstaff has played only 9 games in the PL (in total 67) at the age of 21

whereas Tielemans has played 13 games in the PL (in total 199) at the age of 22

Tielemans is well above Longstaff in terms of ability and experience (despite being a year older)

It seems like a no brainer who to go for. In fact, I would rate Declan Rice higher than Longstaff if we were going strictly British.

Patrick08

Tielemans is well above Longstaff in terms of ability and experience (despite being a year older)

It seems like a no brainer who to go for. In fact, I would rate Declan Rice higher than Longstaff if we were going strictly British.
As I made my point earlier but you seem to have neglected it. We should not make it either this or that arguments with those two. We need more than 3 midfielders if Pogba goes, long staff seems talented, not just British tag is what we are looking into, but also talent.

Also purely stat wise, Tilemans is also better than de jong, doesn't make him a better talent, so stats are not a right way to look at two talents. Longstaff move is a very screwed signing which will work out in my opinion.

Also tilemans is going to Leicester .

Red_toad

Longstaff has played only 9 games in the PL (in total 67) at the age of 21

whereas Tielemans has played 13 games in the PL (in total 199) at the age of 22

Tielemans claim to fame at Monaco was he made the biggest flops in the league list. Lads always looked like a talent, but never really quite lived up to the hype. He was decent at Leicester, wouldn't say he'd set the league on fire though.

I don't get all these random names of players who are going to cost twice as much as United want to pay for Longstaff, as most of them don't even play the same position? I can understand players who are like for like, budget, age and positionally. Tielemans does not play the same position as Longstaff by the way.

Joseunited

The gossip column(bbc)is suggesting that Longstaff is upset over Rafa leaving the club and is looking to move on.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The gossip column(bbc)is suggesting that Longstaff is upset over Rafa leaving the club and is looking to move on.
Yeah he just needs an arm around the shoulder.

Staffy will get along here very well.

snowkarl

He’s 21 and might not improve very much further? Are we honestly at the point where people believe 21 is the finished article?
might

At 21 some players have a purple patch and go on to finish their career in League two, China or... Rangers.

Just because someone is playing at 5/10 every game at 21 doesn't mean they're destined to play a 7/10 every game aged 26.

Youri Tielemans has already shown definitive progress and is 100% better than Longstaff AT THIS TIME. Doesn't mean he'll necessarily be better in 5 years obviously.

AgentP

We seriously need to pick up some speed. How long do we prepare for a bid. It's been in the news all summer that we are interested and we have still not made a move. Are we seriously doing only one transfer at a time?

With Pogba and Lukaku probably leaving, we need to get on with it and make all our signings before we let them go.

Bestietom

There are lots of young players better than Longstaff who could be got on the cheap if that's what we are gone down to. Sangare, and Merino are just 2. These are settled into their teams and have performed very well so far.

Allas8

There are lots of young players better than Longstaff who could be got on the cheap if that's what we are gone down to. Sangare, and Merino are just 2. These are settled into their teams and have performed very well so far.
Merino who 1 year ago was sold from Newcastle?

Dante

Average bang
He looks very good there.

His ability to instantly know the right move and his once-touch-play is excellent. Very tidy if unfancy technique.

He reminds me of Lampard in that sense - minus the goal scoring - though his shooting ability seems pretty decent in those few short clips.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But Longstaff and Tielemens are completely different types of player so it’s not really relevant. Longstaff is a holding player so Matic replacement, Tielemens is an attacking player so more likely to be thought of if we dumped Pogba. It’s not really a case of Longstaff OR Tielemens

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
might

At 21 some players have a purple patch and go on to finish their career in League two, China or... Rangers.

Just because someone is playing at 5/10 every game at 21 doesn't mean they're destined to play a 7/10 every game aged 26.

Youri Tielemans has already shown definitive progress and is 100% better than Longstaff AT THIS TIME. Doesn't mean he'll necessarily be better in 5 years obviously.
THEY DONT PLAY THE SAME ROLE

Mark Pawelek

British fetish makes no sense. Prices below are www.transfermarkt.co.uk values. Values are useful to compare relatively. Your suggestions are rated twice as valuable as Longstaff, but his price, quoted in UK press, will be 4 to 5 times his transfermarkt price! Club seem happy to pay through the nose and leading fans support this with "We should pay whatever it takes" attitude.

Player --------------- Club ------------ Age ---- Value ----- Seasons play
Ibrahim Sangaré --- Toulouse -------- 21---- £14m ------ 1½
Mikel Merino -------- Real Sociedad -- 23---- £14m ------ 1½
Sean Longstaff ------ Newcastle ------ 21----- £7m ------ ¼

Last edited:

Bestietom

British fetish makes no sense. Prices below are www.transfermarkt.co.uk values. Values are useful to compare relatively. But your suggestions are rated twice as valuable as Longstaff, but his price, quoted in UK press, is 4 to 5 times his transfermarkt price.

Yes, and there are more also. What are the scouts doing.

Dante

Average bang
British fetish makes no sense. Prices below are www.transfermarkt.co.uk values. Values are useful to compare relatively. But your suggestions are rated twice as valuable as Longstaff, but his price, quoted in UK press, is 4 to 5 times his transfermarkt price.

Then stop being so obsessed with it.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The obvious advantage with signing British players is that they are more likely to stay and not have their heads turned by Barca/Madrid etc.

no guarantee of course but most of the contract rebels have been imported players, who don’t hold PL clubs in as high esteem as local players do and have a greater tendency to be mercenaries
Interesting. Never thought about that but makes sense.
It also seems to be the other way round with players from Spain or Italy not wanting to leave.

snowkarl

THEY DONT PLAY THE SAME ROLE
Yes obviously but I was replying to the argument that Longstaff is 'better' than Tielemans currently.

Either way players evolve and considering almost all teams play with 1 or 2 deep midfielders with 1 more advanced, they'll be competing about 1 of the deeper ones.

macheda14

might

Tielemans has had 13 good games in the prem. I’d say a fair few of Longstaff’s 9 games were as good. Tielemans also was absolutely terrible at Monaco, which showed definitive regression. So yes he’s progressed from a base level of 0. Why couldn’t you use the same argument that Longstaff has shown definitive progress from his loan spells? Or why couldn’t Tielemans arrival to the prem also be a purple patch. It’s just weird to use one point as a negative for a player but then not hold another player to the same standard.

Crustanoid

Although they’re not a direct comparison, the fact Leicester are signing Tielemans and we’re going after Longstaff shows that they are overtaking us

Tel074

Although they’re not a direct comparison, the fact Leicester are signing Tielemans and we’re going after Longstaff shows that they are overtaking us
How do you know we are going after Longstaff ? Bottom line is you don't know . Like most others on here you read a post online and think it's gospel . If you think Leicester are overtaking United because of one signing which might not even happen you are deluded

Bestietom

How do you know we are going after Longstaff ? Bottom line is you don't know . Like most others on here you read a post online and think it's gospel . If you think Leicester are overtaking United because of one signing which might not even happen you are deluded
Well WITHOUT reading into anything if we don't bring in a few more players before deadline we are in trouble, mate. This team is just not good enough to get a top 4 position as we stand now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I wouldn't dispute that Leicester are in direct competition with us for league position this year, however the clamour on here to sign Tielemans is mainly based on just a handful more Premier league games than Longstaff. I doubt there was many here saying he was a 'must sign' pre December based on his Monaco performances.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Bang average players from a league that dominated Europa and Champions League :lol:

Longstaff won't cost 50 million, lets not forget we paid 45 million for AWB, after numerous 70 million claims attributed to Palace. I really don't know why people buy into press gossip so much. Oh and 'worth' is whatever someone is prepared to pay, United are 'supposedly' looking at a 20 million ish deal, so Newcastle won't be getting 50 million as he's not 'worth' it currently.
I am not saying all I am saying in general average EPL players will cost you 25-35M.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we had a stable midfield then I would be happy with this signing. Longstaff could be the perfect cover for Prime Carrick and Scholes. He'd learn the ropes from the best, the former would cover for his inexperience and he'll be able to develop in the ideal environment befitting to a top kid. However we don't have that. We just lost 2 proven midfielders this year and we look set of losing Pogba whom, while not being exactly a role model (he's a man child really), he's still our main assist man and goal scorer. What's left is a DM whose in rapid decline, some Brazilian whose got Anderson's composure in midfield minus his talent and a pack of kids really who should be squad players at best (Periera, Garner, Mctominay etc). Id love to ask the Englishphiles is this really the midfield you want Longstaff to be thrown into?

I'd say let stabilise the midfield first. We should add a mobile DM and top box to box midfielder and a top quality no 10 who can drop deep. Matic, Mctominay and Periera/Mata might cover for them in the meantime while Garner should be sent on loan. After that then lets have a look at talent to the likes of Longstaff.

el3mel

Bang average players from a league that dominated Europa and Champions League :lol:

Longstaff won't cost 50 million, lets not forget we paid 45 million for AWB, after numerous 70 million claims attributed to Palace. I really don't know why people buy into press gossip so much. Oh and 'worth' is whatever someone is prepared to pay, United are 'supposedly' looking at a 20 million ish deal, so Newcastle won't be getting 50 million as he's not 'worth' it currently.
Longstaff wasn't a player in the teams that dominated Europe and CL though so I don't get your point.

jackal&hyde

no guarantee of course but most of the contract rebels have been imported players, who don’t hold PL clubs in as high esteem as local players do and have a greater tendency to be mercenaries.
Non British players have a greater tendency to be mercenaries? Wtf. Top players want to play with other top players and compete for the big trophies. The British players we got through the years from other clubs came to win trophies and more money. Are they mercenaries from the point of view of the clubs they came from?

Players like DDG, Pogba and possibly Herrera left or want to leave because of how crap we are and can't offer them the platform to compete with the best. The Brits that we have, with a couple of exceptions, are mediocre players that nobody would want.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

why does this forum have such a hard-on for Tielemans?
Fancy foreign name!
On a serious note though, he's a good player but I also don't really understand the hype around him

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we had a stable midfield then I would be happy with this signing. Longstaff could be the perfect cover for Prime Carrick and Scholes. He'd learn the ropes from the best, the former would cover for his inexperience and he'll be able to develop in the ideal environment befitting to a top kid. However we don't have that. We just lost 2 proven midfielders this year and we look set of losing Pogba whom, while not being exactly a role model (he's a man child really), he's still our main assist man and goal scorer. What's left is a DM whose in rapid decline, some Brazilian whose got Anderson's composure in midfield minus his talent and a pack of kids really who should be squad players at best (Periera, Garner, Mctominay etc). Id love to ask the Englishphiles is this really the midfield you want Longstaff to be thrown into?

I'd say let stabilise the midfield first. We should add a mobile DM and top box to box midfielder and a top quality no 10 who can drop deep. Matic, Mctominay and Periera/Mata might cover for them in the meantime while Garner should be sent on loan. After that then lets have a look at talent to the likes of Longstaff.
You do know that Longstaff has surprised everytime he's been thrown into the lime light. Whether that be be on loan or infront 50,000 plus at a packed St James's Park. Former Newcastle player Lee Clarke has even given an interview regarding the ease in which he has stepped up whenever he's been thrown into the limelight.

I saw Longstaff reach a level in his limited appearances for Newcastle that I haven't seen from Matic in the last two seasons. More mobile, higher work rate, more composed and a bigger goal threat due to his shooting with either foot.

I would have him ahead of Fred and McTominay easily due to him being more rounded as a player.

Longstaff could play as a #8 aswell and would provide big goal threat due to his shooting ability. But I think Ole will use him as a DLP who provides amazing work rate and composure with added mobility infront of the back 4 which would improve our buildup play.

And to the people going on about the prices for English/EPL players? Most English clubs are awash with money and could easily turn down big offers for their players. And Manchester United is a English club and will always target players from within it's own country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.