g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Carrick obviously has contacts in that neck of the woods so must know something but I’d be concerned if our scouting network was reduced to ex players making recommendations aka giggs and James and now this
Both James and Longstaff would've been scouted too i'd imagine and the reports must've been studied by the coaching staff.

-Supreme-

Why do everyone believes in whatever is reported by the media?

Palace at one point wanted £70m for AWB, and we got him for £45 - £50m in the end

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
fecking Jose negotiating like an amateur.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Carrick has played the #6 position to a world class level and knows what is required to play in such a role. That makes him a expert on identifying a player of a similar profile in my book.
Carrick is unproven as a scout. I don't think anybody would argue with this.
And he had a disastrous first season as coach, should thank the Gods that he wasn't fired, after last season's debacle. When you coach players to finish the season the way we did, Carrick and McKenna both have to take part of the responsibility.

Whatever the case, spending £50M on a Longstaff, who won't be in our starting eleven, is folly. Our starting eleven is weak and we need to strengthen the starting eleven's CB position. When our starting eleven is strong enough, we can look to make these types of luxury signings.
The price paid for Daniel James, should be the price we pay for Longstaff. They are both "punts" who may or may not come to anything. Last year we bought Dalot, who is also a "punt", who may or may not come good.

If we spend £50M on a player, I'd expect him to either be in the starting XI or on the bench, who has the experience of playing in big matches, when called upon.

Litch

Maybe it's me but I never thought at the end of our last season that a lad who only played 9 first team games would be dominanting the discussions around who we would be signing. Other than young being so shit, you could argue the signings to date including this one if it comes off, are players that shouldn't be starting anyway.

Stacks

Carrick has played the #6 position to a world class level and knows what is required to play in such a role. That makes him a expert on identifying a player of a similar profile in my book.
Carrick never performed at a world class level. That's your first mistake. Secondly do former pros make up all the scouting positions? If not then it's not gospel. Sir Alex recommended Moyes

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I fully back Utd not paying 50m for him ffs. He isnt worth 20 right now, NINE PREMIER LEAGUE APPS ffs

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Carrick never performed at a world class level. That's your first mistake. Secondly do former pros make up all the scouting positions? If not then it's not gospel. Sir Alex recommended Moyes
What rubbish. He was the link man for a midfield that got 2 back to back CL finals.

He wasn’t perfect but he was definitely up there.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Maybe it's me but I never thought at the end of our last season that a lad who only played 9 first team games would be dominanting the discussions around who we would be signing. Other than young being so shit, you could argue the signings to date including this one if it comes off, are players that shouldn't be starting anyway.
Eh? Are you saying AWB shouldn't be starting?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you forgot about the second of our two signings.

Ekeke

A bit like Sir Alex being amazing at picking a manager for United

In Rainbows

Carrick obviously has contacts in that neck of the woods so must know something but I’d be concerned if our scouting network was reduced to ex players making recommendations aka giggs and James and now this
Don't forget Rio and Godfrey.

dev1l

A bit like Sir Alex being amazing at picking a manager for United
Tbf Moyes was not Sir Alex first choice. He met Guardiola in New York before but Guardiola had already agreed terms with Bayern

Litch

Eh? Are you saying AWB shouldn't be starting?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you forgot about the second of our two signings.
Nope, read it again I said it's only cause Young is so shit why AWB should be starting. Ideally you'd like to nature him into the first team and not just throw him into the deep end. That said, I'm not sure AWB is going to start. Watch this space but I bet Ole still starts with Young for the first half of the season....

Lee565

So whilst some really good more proven midfielders were available around the 25-30 million mark we squandered all this time focusing on Longstaff, this whole buying British thing this summer is doing us more harm than good.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Utter rubbish that Carrick never performed at a world class level. :lol:

So should we take opinions of posters on Redcafe over a former player like Carrick who actually played the #6 role to a world class level?

dev1l

Utter rubbish that Carrick never performed at a world class level. :lol:

So should we take opinions of posters on Redcafe over a former player like Carrick who actually played the #6 role to a world class level?
Yes the club should Base it's transfer strategies on the advice of some random caftard over someone like Carrick... Loll

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Carrick is unproven as a scout. I don't think anybody would argue with this.
And he had a disastrous first season as coach, should thank the Gods that he wasn't fired, after last season's debacle. When you coach players to finish the season the way we did, Carrick and McKenna both have to take part of the responsibility.

Whatever the case, spending £50M on a Longstaff, who won't be in our starting eleven, is folly. Our starting eleven is weak and we need to strengthen the starting eleven's CB position. When our starting eleven is strong enough, we can look to make these types of luxury signings.
The price paid for Daniel James, should be the price we pay for Longstaff. They are both "punts" who may or may not come to anything. Last year we bought Dalot, who is also a "punt", who may or may not come good.

If we spend £50M on a player, I'd expect him to either be in the starting XI or on the bench, who has the experience of playing in big matches, when called upon.
You don't need to go to University to become a scout. There's many ex pro's who are scouts.

Who on earth says we're spending £50m on him? Newcastle are predictably setting the price high for a player they don't want to sell.

vanderpants

just walk away, i don't want Newcastle to mug us off, not worth more than 20m and not worth spending any more time on him seeing as we only seem to be able to work on one transfer at a time

Zed 101

Player swaps do not work shame we could have offloaded some dross to make weight.... I agree that £50 million is ridiculous (I do not believe that TBH) part of me feels like £50 million may seem cheap in 1 - 2 seasons time, hell of a punt to take though

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not one of the outstanding players in either tournament and ruthlessly exposed in the final. Out midfield was our weakness and Barca exposed it
Our whole team got outclassed by Barca.

First final we missed fletcher, 2nd we played 442 and tactically got out classed.

dasty

De Jong = £65.3m
Rodri = £62.8m
Ndombele = £55.45m
Kovacic = £40.2m
Tielemans = £40m
Llorente = £35.6m

These are all players that moved this window and are significantly better and much more proven on the highest stage than Longstaff. By looking at the prices that they are sold, 25m for him is already on the high side. 50m should mean goodbye. I hope we pull out of this deal immediately and focus on better signings. If he really is as good as you all think then he would not have taken that long to break into a Newcastle side that Benitez assembled on a shoestring budget.

dev1l

We won't pay 50 m for sure...I prefer to wait for the fee if we eventually sign him before passing any judgements

SteveW

How has this turned into a thread slagging Carrick. He may have spotted the player but it would be a group decision and signed off by Ole to make a bid. Stop being twats.

Ekeke

He sure did. But I'd trust Carricks judgment over Sir Alex when it comes to identifying a player as a #6.
Why? Carrick didnt sign himself. Sir Alex signed him

Sir Alex did have a say in his successor though, you would think he'd know a thing or two about which managers would make it at United

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Nope, read it again I said it's only cause Young is so shit why AWB should be starting. Ideally you'd like to nature him into the first team and not just throw him into the deep end. That said, I'm not sure AWB is going to start. Watch this space but I bet Ole still starts with Young for the first half of the season....
Post 1:
"...you could argue the signings to date...are players that shouldn't be starting..."

Post 2:
"Ideally you'd like to nuture him (AWB) into the first team and not just throw him into the deep end."

That's pretty clear to me, even after re-reading. You don't think AWB should be starting (ideally). Which is fine! I disagree, however. He was Palace's player of the year. He's ready.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why? Carrick didnt sign himself. Sir Alex signed him

Sir Alex did have a say in his successor though, you would think he'd know a thing or two about which managers would make it at United
So you're saying that because Sir Alex messed up with Moyes we should now question Carrick who actually performed on the pitch as a #6.

GloryHunter07

Come on mate, its not that easy. Otherwise our scouts would all be ex players and we would never have problems with recruitment.

sp_107

De Jong = £65.3m
Rodri = £62.8m
Ndombele = £55.45m
Kovacic = £40.2m
Tielemans = £40m
Llorente = £35.6m

These are all players that moved this window and are significantly better and much more proven on the highest stage than Longstaff. By looking at the prices that they are sold, 25m for him is already on the high side. 50m should mean goodbye. I hope we pull out of this deal immediately and focus on better signings. If he really is as good as you all think then he would not have taken that long to break into a Newcastle side that Benitez assembled on a shoestring budget.
Agreed but the problem is all other good signings like Ndombele and Tielemans are already gone and few others too will go by the time we finish negotiations with Newcastle.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Can someone point out where I'm going wrong?
  1. Longstaff played remarkably well for a handful of games.
  2. It looks as if he's only going to get better.
  3. Newcastle, who doesn't need to sell, values him at £50m.
  4. After the upcoming season he will probably be worth more than £50m (likely improvement and inflation).
  5. Newcastle is ripping us off.
Now, why is Newcastle ripping us off? Forget the number of games Longstaff played. He has potential. Wouldn't 50 for him be a better deal than 50 for Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.