• Runner-up

Votes: 74 38.1%
  • 3th place

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • 4th place trophy

Votes: 22 11.3%

• Total voters

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
"Hello, hello, pay attention to the manager!"

Alright United family, it’s 55 days until kick off at Old Trafford. This thread is focused on the objectives and expectations for next season. Last year, the common consensus among the United fans was a top 4 finish and a return to the Champions League which logically is not a certainty yet with a qualifier fixture ahead to encounter. Nonetheless, the club craved for a restore in honour and the top 4 finish surely cemented itself as a gratifying springboard for next season. Right now we are in a period of holidays and the well known muppet period of transfer rumours (Kermit says hi). Depay was the first signing and there is still plenty of time remaining for other potential signings which will hopefully address the main issues in the squad. With the pre season tour on its way the preparations for next season are slowly but surely taking shape.

The objective of recapturing the highest honour in English football is a three year project. Main question of this thread, what do we as fans envisage in season 2? A season which will hopefully see a United squad blossom and benefit from a better understanding of the infamous philosophy.

Let’s get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
"Hello, hello, pay attention to the manager!"

Alright United family, it’s 55 days until kick at Old Trafford. This thread is focused on the objectives and expectations for next season. Last year, the common consensus among the United fans was a top 4 finish and a return to the Champions League which logically is not a certainty yet with a qualifier fixture ahead to encounter. Nonetheless, the club craved for a restore in honour and the top 4 finish surely cemented itself as a gratifying springboard for next season. Right now we are in a period of holidays and the well known muppet period of transfer rumours (Kermit says hi). Depay was the first signing and there is still plenty of time remaining for other potential signings which will hopefully address the main issues in the squad. With the pre season tour on its way the preparations for next season are slowly but surely taking shape.

The objective of recapturing the highest honour in English football is a thee year project. Main question of this thread, what do we as fans envisage in season 2? A season which will hopefully see a United squad blossom and benefit from a better understanding of the infamous philosophy.

Let’s get the ball rolling.
I'll go first - 'Wrong Forum'.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Close run title challenge, quarters of the CL. Not too fussed with FA cup. Although it would be nice to get far, i wouldn't use it as a barometer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A trophy

A man with his experience, having a huge amount of money spent

Expect a trophy

Obviously CL spot is a must but would also expect to improve upon 4th

legball

Win a trophy, any trophy whether is CL, PL, FA or CO, simple.

Question234

progress, in both results and performances
This is mainly what I'm after. No more going backwards or stagnating. For me a trophy is a bonus not an expectation.

I just think we are too far away from any major title right now, depends on how summer pans out.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Top 2 finish with a close title challenge or a Top 3 finish with any other domestic trophy (FA preferred)

And last 16 of the CL.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
A cup trophy, top 2 in the league and a good run in the CL (quarters or semi's)

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Challenge for the title with the very least finishing third. A trophy and a good run in the other cups would be fair to ask of having invested huge amounts in this current squad with a lot more to be invested.

Also play more attractive football. We've seen we're more than capable of it but that was only for a month and the rest of the time we were playing pretty dreadful football. I also hope we find a way to turn those draws against weaker teams into wins and sort out our away form.

Green_Red

If not champions then deserved runners up. A trophy would be nice but lets face it only two count.

JawZ

Top 3 with at least the FA Cup, the cup I would like to have finally after more than 10 years.

vidic blood & sand

Finish in the top three, be more consistent, and be title challengers right to the end.
Get out of the group stages of the CL with impressive performances.
FA Cup winners. Gotta get the record back.

Red Comet

He has a full season to immerse the team in his "philosophy".

I'm expecting the team this season to be more cohesive and playing attacking football that's pleasing on the eyes. I expect a real challenge for the title where we could genuinely feel that we might be able to win it, not the "Mata-mata-cal" chance where we always know that Chelsea would be run-away title winners.

I also expect at least a cup, either League or FA cup, and to proceed beyond the Group Stage at Champions League.

I will disregard injuries - we have another transfer window to address the shortcomings. I am sick to the death of us playing piss poor football like we did towards the end of the season due to Carrick being injured - no team should ever have to depend that much on a player.

Anything less than that we should be looking at Ancelotti or Klopp.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Close run title challenge, quarters of the CL. Not too fussed with FA cup. Although it would be nice to get far, i wouldn't use it as a barometer.
Think this is pretty much on the money.

Another CL place finish as a minimum with satisfactory being a resepectable push for the title and Champions League campaign. A domestic cup would be welcomed but isn't a requirement.

Of course I'd love for us to go for all the coin but being realistic. In Europe it's how the cookie crumbles, domestically we should control 95% of our own fate.

Angelinho

Minimum - to still be in the title race with a couple of games to go and reach the quarter finals of the champions league.

MarkC

At the moment though it's too early to say we don't actually know how the team will look. My big concern is if we have to approach the season with more or less the same team yet people expect results and performances to improve majorly.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Title-contenders, Quarters in the CL and the FA cup would be nice. Anything more would be a nice suprise.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd be satisfied with a Top 3 finish and getting comfortably through to the second round of CL.

I actually think we'll win the League though :)

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Win League Cup
Quarters/Semis in CL.
Top 2/3 in league (we need to look like winning it, even if only for a few months).
Good FA Cup run.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Have a respectable Title Challenge.
Break the FA Cup curse.
Quarters (minimum) in the Champions League.
Rotate the team in the League Cup.
Most importantly, play better football.
Integrate Pereira, Adnan, Wilson more (unless loaned) - Thankfully going on tour.

Last edited:

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard to say without knowing what the team will look like but realistically we should be aiming for a title challenge, though I can't see us going all the way this year. FA cup would be nice and the quarters of the CL.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Title challenger with top 3 finish
Quarters in the CL
Good Cup run or even a trophy

finneh

Challenging for the title come March, even if we fall away to 2nd or 3rd along with a good CL campaign only getting knocked out by one of the top 6-7 seeds (Bayern, Juve, Madrid, Chelsea, City, Atletico, PSG).

Fourth place along with an FA Cup win would be fine also.

jojose

if not winning it a serious title challenge and champions league quarters!

also, a bit more cohesion / consistency in our playing style. a few times last year I was confused as to what exactly "the philiosphy" is/was

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It depends on whether the club is able to bring LVG's targets or not. I'd rather see us aim a bit lower (ie a serious challenge to the EPL title and 3rd place) than aim for a higher target which will only encourage the manager to bring short term solutions to the problems we've got

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Bulletpoints!!

• Win the CL qualification games.
  • If we don't do the above, then the Europa League group stage should be for fringe players allowing the first XI to concentrate on the league.
  • If we are in the CL group stage then we obviously should prioritise reaching the knock-out round. Anything after that is a bonus.
  • Must finish top 4 again, with a decent crack at the top 3.
  • The trophies obviously depend on how the sugar daddy teams do in them - if they get eliminated early like last season then I'd want a strong push from us in those competitions.
  • Overall progression in the team - an established style of play and formation, some more youth development and at the end of the season decisions made about how to move the squad forward in terms of exits.
  • LVG to be given a 30 minute open mic at the end of the player awards.