• Runner-up

Votes: 74 38.1%
  • 3th place

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • 4th place trophy

Votes: 22 11.3%

• Total voters

sajeev

A trophy is a minimum this season. Otherwise, there is no point making all these changes only to be further behind, playing attractive football on the rare occasion, and having nothing to show for it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Target: League and and Cup

Expectation: League and semis in all cups.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Minimum: Title challenge with a top 3 finish and second round in the Champions League, a cup would be nice too. I think it's a fair ask with a few extra goals scored and fewer conceded.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Top 2 in the league serious challenge. QF UCL.

I like us to win something but for me the league is the priority, we want our fecking title back!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I expect us to still be competing for everything at the end of January - in particular getting through the CL group stage and being close enough to compete in the PL, because in those places luck isn't really a factor. A couple of good cup runs would be nice, winning needs to be a habit.

My personal hope is to actually understand (and better still, believe in) what LvG is doing with the team. I want to understand the team selection and the substitutions, at least in hindsight, if not when they are made. I want to watch every match believing that our tactical master plan stretches beyond passing the ball around aimlessly, whilst hoping to get lucky with the occasional hoof ball upfield.
So innocent.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Expectations: I don't have many under Van Gaal.

Objectives: IMO, before anything, the main goal should be to play attractive football next season. I would hate another season of football where we simply pass the ball around without creating any chances. I don't want to see football where we pass the ball around aimlessly - at tumescent pace - before hoofing it to the tallest tree on the pitch. I don't want to see neutered players in a regimented system asked to curb their natural attacking instincts.

We need to bring back the excitement and joy associated with Manchester United football. I would want to see the team trying to entertain, pushing forward, taking risks, creating chances, scoring goals, not trying to sit on leads, not settling for draws. Love for us to get back our fear factor.
Rightly, had no expectations with the fraudster in charge. As for him meeting the objective: LOL!

The Arsenalization of Manchester United will be complete VG is given another season. The recent spin out of the club - injuries, youth revival, 4th as a goal - reeks of the excuses Arsenal used to come up with after every failed season.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Capital One Cup: Hoping for a win, expecting a Quarter-Final exit or thereabouts.
Emirates FA Cup: Hoping for a win, again expecting a Semi-Final exit.
Champions League: Hoping for a win, expecting a Last 16 exit or thereabouts.
Premier League: Hoping for a win, expecting a third place finish.

Hoping for beautiful football.
One round off the League Cup expectation.
One round away from the FA Cup expectation.
A place off the Champions League expectation, though we met it in the Europa League.
Might probably finish around 5th or 6th which is a ways off the expectation.

Not bad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Objectives? The double. League and FA cup. Realistic? 2nd place. Disaster? 3rd place and no trophies.
I chose to quote this post at random, as most of us expected a title challenge. Me included.
So, how about 6th place in the league and no trophies? Perhaps this should've been an option in the poll.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What about the "beautiful football" expectation?
We have been treated to 1 goal per game and our team is ranked as one of the most boring teams to watch in the entire English league system.
I think you feel way off the mark, on that one.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I expect you to challenge for the title, last 16 at least in the Champions League and at least a semi final of the cups. I've probably been generous with the Champions League expectation.
If West Ham win the FA Cup replay against Manchester United, i'll be wrong on everything.

GloryHunter07

Minimum expectations:
Top 4
Get out of the CL group stage
Play enjoyable football relatively frequently
Develop some exciting youngsters

Reasonable expectations:
Top 3
Win the first knockout CL stage
Play enjoyable football frequently
Develop some exciting youngsters
Win a cup
Looking like we could scrape 2 out of my 4 minimum expectations.

Minimalist

He's failed (West Ham Replay still to play withstanding) in everything that was set out in front of him. There is literally no way to argue a case for him unless you're trolling.

League challenge (finishing 3rd at absolute worst)? Non-existent.
FA Cup? Unlikely.
League Cup? Embarrassed by Championship team at home with a strong side.
UCL? Put out of a group with three mediocre sides.
EL? Edgy two-leg tie against a Danish side. Put out comfortably by fiercest and oldest rivals.

The idea the FA Cup or finishing 4th should be any way acceptable is just laughable. I mean you really can only laugh at anyone still defending him and his management staff (including Giggs).

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I must admit i thought van Gaal would be able to do a good, solid job at United but that hasn't happened and when he leaves United at the end of the season, he can have no complaints.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Louis is doing an exceptional job. He's laying the groundwork for his successor, and planning for the next decade in a way that only the keenest observers can appreciate. Just ask Lahm, Xavi, Guardiola™ - they know where it's at. The next time United win anything of some significance, it'll be down to Van Gaal's vision - and you'll know who to thank, heathen.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's failed to even get 4th, embarassed us in not one, but two European competitions this season, while systematically alienating 200mill worth of players... he bought... his players, his squad, (Moyes was mostly limited to Sir Alex's squad i.e. another mans playing staff) all while playing the worst brand of football ever seen in the PL era.
If he's still here at the end of the summer, It will just be utterly inexplicable.

Von Mistelroum

We need one of these for next season. I'd like to know where people think we'll finish next year, assuming he's still here...

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
What about the "beautiful football" expectation?
We have been treated to 1 goal per game and our team is ranked as one of the most boring teams to watch in the entire English league system.
I think you feel way off the mark, on that one.
That was a hope, not an expectation.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
One round off the League Cup expectation.
One round away from the FA Cup expectation.
A place off the Champions League expectation, though we met it in the Europa League.
Might probably finish around 5th or 6th which is a ways off the expectation.

Not bad.
Not bad??? :eek: The feck??

Fergie's gum

So, how are the objectives/expectations coming along???

Good CL run 2/10
Challenge for the title and finish top 3 4/10
Youth Development 9/10
Improvement in our football (philosophy) 3/10

Expected end of year mark 4/10 Please see me!

Dong Fangzhuo

Good CL run 2/10
Youth Development 9/10

That's some generous grading there, hope you're not a teacher in real life. 0/10 of 3 of those is more like it.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

Good CL run 2/10
Youth Development 9/10

Pereira, Januzaj and Wilson want a word with you about 9/10 Youth Development.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Bulletpoints!!

• Win the CL qualification games. - Achieved.
  • If we don't do the above, then the Europa League group stage should be for fringe players allowing the first XI to concentrate on the league. - N/a
  • If we are in the CL group stage then we obviously should prioritise reaching the knock-out round. Anything after that is a bonus. - Failed.
  • Must finish top 4 again, with a decent crack at the top 3. - Failed.
  • The trophies obviously depend on how the sugar daddy teams do in them - if they get eliminated early like last season then I'd want a strong push from us in those competitions. - Achieved.
  • Overall progression in the team - an established style of play and formation, some more youth development and at the end of the season decisions made about how to move the squad forward in terms of exits. - Failed, though credit given for the youth development.
  • LVG to be given a 30 minute open mic at the end of the player awards. - Still hope, though now it might be a farewell speech.
More failures than achievements, which looks like it'll be the story of the season as a whole.