Seedorf vs Davids

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Seedorf for me. They were both brilliant in their day, but CS had that special something you don't often see. Even now when you watch him in the legends matches he still looks good enough to walk into most Prem teams and is quite often the best player on the park, the guy just oozes class.

ryadmahrez

The Milan forum back then seemed to hate Seedorf. Only turned up for CL games apparently.
Yeah I was on there too. I actually followed him closely back then, as I am also partly of Surinamese descent and as a young boy was pretty much a fan of every surinamese player. Maybe a bit weird now, because it seems I am bashing him now, but in all those years I followed him at Milan he often was frustrating. On his day he was great and for some periods he absolutely was. He had a bullet of a shot on him and he could deliver a great pass too. But most often his touch was inconsistant, just like watching Rooney and his decision making often was a bit slow, which slowed up the play.

Davids was a totally different player. A hardworking player, a pittbull. He knew what he could and did exactly that and in his prime he was worldclass in it.

Reactions: KM

Jaybomb

Seedorf.

Davids disgraced himself in his later years. Leaving Juventus killed his career in my book. Its easy to forget he played for Spurs and even Crystal Palace!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Davids was easier on the eye with his constant tricks but Seedorf was for sure the better player.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It was bad. I remember you used the Spacebar to perform skills (roullette, push ball forward). Pes 2 on PS2 was miles ahead of FIFA back then
You had options for passes too.. I think

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Was at Ajax for 6 weeks training back in the early 90s.
I like how you've just casually dropped this information on us like it's just a small/normal thing that every person does.

Sterling Archer

It was bad. I remember you used the Spacebar to perform skills (roullette, push ball forward). Pes 2 on PS2 was miles ahead of FIFA back then
Believe it or not, I played my first game of PES two years ago and haven't looked back. But back at the turn of the century I had never even heard of anything other than FIFA. Was PES even sold in the states then? :nervous:

Enigma_87

You know who
This is like comparing Keane & Scholes...
Agreed. Quite different players , both obviously great but can't really assess who is better as they don't play in the same position. In terms of longevity Seedorf beats him in terms of overall influence at peak level probably Davids just edges it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Davids was a centerpiece in all the teams he played for. Seedorf was a complementary player in all the teams he played for. He was probably the more talented of the two and big game player, but also far more inconsistent. At milan he was a passenger half the time, then a big game would come up and he'd play out of his mind. Juventus went from a CL final to rubbish just by losing Davids. Went to Barcelona and took them from relegation zone to second in the league

Deleted member 101472

Edgar Davids being criminally underrated in this thread. There really isn't much of a gap between them, and i'd have Davids as the more well rounded player.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Reading this I think Davids is underrated and Seedorf overrated on here.

NoPace

Arturo Vidal.
A defender, obviously, but Sergio Ramos comes to mind too, often having 10 minute stretches where he's a threat on a set piece by virtue of his desire, wins a hard tackle stepping into midfield and plays a clever lofted pass most CBs wouldn't dream of.

bdspeedy

Was at Ajax for 6 weeks training back in the early 90s.
I hadn't been following football much in the early 90's. This was before Al Gore had invented the internet and we didn't get much
football here in the states. I stumbled across ESPN2 coverage of the Dutch league and was quickly woo'd back by this Ajax team.
F-ing Bosman. Imagine if they had kept that team together a few more years. Van Der Sar, Blind, the De Boer Bro's, Davids, Seedorf,
Bergkamp, Litmanen, Overmars, George, Kluivert, Kanu. Louie.

Reactions: KM

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Seedorf on top form is one of my favourite players to watch ever, but I'd give this to Davids as I think he was the more consistent of the two and for me more rounded (despite Seedorf being able to play more positions being central and out wide).

In a day and day where we now have a lot of 3 in midfield formations, a lot of which is to disguise limited players who can only do certain things (destroyers/holding midfielders who can't play the ball about, pivots who have no attacking contribution, attacking midfielders who can't defend), he reminds me of a time when CM's could tackle, pass, create, bring the ball forward all with competence.

Personally, I think the results might be skewed a bit due to more recent memory of the two, Seedorf no doubt was a much better player and had a far greater impact in to his latter years and still looked incredibly technically, but peak-for-peak Davids for me was overall the better player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like how you've just casually dropped this information on us like it's just a small/normal thing that every person does.
I was at Celtic and we did an exchange and a couple of us went over and trained with them for 6 weeks and vice versa. It was a good experience but no big deal at the time. Celtic had a few good players at the time who would have gotten a game with them.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hadn't been following football much in the early 90's. This was before Al Gore had invented the internet and we didn't get much
football here in the states. I stumbled across ESPN2 coverage of the Dutch league and was quickly woo'd back by this Ajax team.
F-ing Bosman. Imagine if they had kept that team together a few more years. Van Der Sar, Blind, the De Boer Bro's, Davids, Seedorf,
Bergkamp, Litmanen, Overmars, George, Kluivert, Kanu. Louie.
Al gore invented the Internet??

MUFC OK

An easy one, Seedorf by a mile, this is probably akin to debating between Zidane and Djorkaeff, in terms of the gulf in class, though both Djork and Davids were good players.

Was never hugely impressed by Davids, always thought he was more famous for his look than how he played. On the other hand I think Seedorf is one of the most underrated players of all time.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You had options for passes too.. I think
And the new free kick system - you'd just point where you'd want to hit the ball

Looked nice at the beginning...

Believe it or not, I played my first game of PES two years ago and haven't looked back. But back at the turn of the century I had never even heard of anything other than FIFA. Was PES even sold in the states then? :nervous:
It was amazing the difference back then between FIFA - had all licensed names but so generic and ISS:PES/Winning Eleven - new things never seen before in FIFA like different free kick styles(RC's long run, Henry's 2 steps...), player forms(Before a match each player had a random form indicator which then increased/decreased player's stats), captains, choosing a free kick taker during the match and the overall gameplay you really had to work your socks off to score a goal even on beginner level and because of that the feeling of scoring was so much better compared to FIFA where you'd just pass the ball to a winger, run half the pitch, cross and score a header. You couldn't do that in PES.

For the PS1 these were sold in US and EU
ISS Pro / Goal Storm 97 1997 June 1
1998 May 1
ISS Pro Evolution 1999 May
ISS Pro Evolution 2 2001 March 23

Here's a short review for the ISS Pro 98
The Rise and Fail of Pro Evo

RooneyLegend

I'd choose Davids but this is like comparing Vieira and Zidane, you wouldn't choose one over the other, you'd pair them.
Nah, they were much closer than Zidane and Viera ever were even though i understand the point you're making in terms of the difference in the types of players. Overall it's pretty hard to chose, both were great players, neither was generation defining. Just world class players strutting their stuff around the world.
Yeah I was on there too. I actually followed him closely back then, as I am also partly of Surinamese descent and as a young boy was pretty much a fan of every surinamese player. Maybe a bit weird now, because it seems I am bashing him now, but in all those years I followed him at Milan he often was frustrating. On his day he was great and for some periods he absolutely was. He had a bullet of a shot on him and he could deliver a great pass too. But most often his touch was inconsistant, just like watching Rooney and his decision making often was a bit slow, which slowed up the play.

Davids was a totally different player. A hardworking player, a pittbull. He knew what he could and did exactly that and in his prime he was worldclass in it.
Can't believe anyone would think he had an inconsistent touch, he was easily the best 'footballer' in that Milan side. The one thing he was always criticized for was his work rate, and sometimes holding on to the ball for too long, but never his ability with the ball at his feet like you're doing here.

Honestly Milan fans always criticized all their players apart from Kaka and Gattuso for whatever reason especially the older players. Pirlo was slow and frail, Seedorf was lazy and dallied on the ball too much, Maldini was slow etc etc. Their team seemed to struggle against 'park the bus' sides which are all over serie a so they couldn't win the league and always had complaints despite how good they were in CL.

ryadmahrez

Nah, they were much closer than Zidane and Viera ever were even though i understand the point you're making in terms of the difference in the types of players. Overall it's pretty hard to chose, both were great players, neither was generation defining. Just world class players strutting their stuff around the world.

Can't believe anyone would think he had an inconsistent touch, he was easily the best 'footballer' in that Milan side. The one thing he was always criticized for was his work rate, and sometimes holding on to the ball for too long, but never his ability with the ball at his feet like you're doing here.

Honestly Milan fans always criticized all their players apart from Kaka and Gattuso for whatever reason especially the older players. Pirlo was slow and frail, Seedorf was lazy and dallied on the ball too much, Maldini was slow etc etc. Their team seemed to struggle against 'park the bus' sides which are all over serie a so they couldn't win the league and always had complaints despite how good they were in CL.
Nah I would say Pirlo was clearly the best footballer in that side. One of the best playmakers of his generation, could set the tempo as one of the best and was very hard to take the ball of like a Xavi kind of player. He proved it also at Juve and the italian nt. Seedorf was a hot or cold kind of player. He often had games where he would look like Rooney at his worst. Games where his touch was basically non existant and the simpelest things didn't come off. Seedorf was a jack of all trades, but I dont know one footballing attribute he was really worldclass in.

RooneyLegend

Nah I would say Pirlo was clearly the best footballer in that side. One of the best playmakers of his generation, could set the tempo as one of the best and was very hard to take the ball of like a Xavi kind of player. He proved it also at Juve and the italian nt. Seedorf was a hot or cold kind of player. He often had games where he would look like Rooney at his worst. Games where his touch was basically non existant and the simpelest things didn't come off. Seedorf was a jack of all trades, but I dont know one footballing attribute he was really worldclass in.
Disagree with that completely, think we should leave it there. Seedorf was hot and cold like Ozil is(except he was fantastic in the big games and just regular in the small games, the opposite of Ozil), not like how Rooney was in his latter days with poor touches so and being dispossessed regularly.

ryadmahrez

Disagree with that completely, think we should leave it there. Seedorf was hot and cold like Ozil is(except he was fantastic in the big games and just regular in the small games, the opposite of Ozil), not like how Rooney was in his latter days with poor touches so and being dispossessed regularly.
Don't think you seen him alot back then or arent objective for some reason, but he wasnt just regular in his bad games and he wasn't a better footballer than pirlo.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Seedorf.

Davids disgraced himself in his later years. Leaving Juventus killed his career in my book. Its easy to forget he played for Spurs and even Crystal Palace!

Don't forget the mighty, world famous and highly coveted.... Barnet.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
An easy one, Seedorf by a mile, this is probably akin to debating between Zidane and Djorkaeff, in terms of the gulf in class, though both Djork and Davids were good players.

Was never hugely impressed by Davids, always thought he was more famous for his look than how he played. On the other hand I think Seedorf is one of the most underrated players of all time.

Talking of Zidane, well there were times when Davids outperformed Zidane when they were together at Juventus.

Also agree with those who are talking about Seedorf's inconsistency with the touch. He was obviously great technically, but he also on his bad days, give away balls, quite easily for someone who is as proficient technically as him and his shooting in his worst days was atrocious beyond words.