Television Seinfeld

R.E.D.

One thing that makes me laugh every time is Jerry`s smile even when he is yelling with anger:lol: I mean it`s kind of bad acting but I love it:lol:

Frank Costanza is a great character. Any scene with George and his parents is a good one.

"Why can't he have bananas ON THE SIDE!?"
My favorite is when Steinbrenner goes to their home to tell them George is ded, and then Frank yells:" What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!? He hit 35 home runs, had over 100 RBIs and had a rocket for an arm. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOING!!! ":lol:

SteveTheRed

Watched the "Jerry Before Seinfeld" stand up/documentary on Netflix. An hour of watching a craftsman at work, he really does observational comedy well. When I think of observational comedy it makes me groan a little but Jerry does it so classy and different to what todays comics are doing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Watched the "Jerry Before Seinfeld" stand up/documentary on Netflix. An hour of watching a craftsman at work, he really does observational comedy well. When I think of observational comedy it makes me groan a little but Jerry does it so classy and different to what todays comics are doing.
My colleague was banging on about this last night. Is it old material or is he going back to his roots and doing new stand up stuff?

SteveTheRed

My colleague was banging on about this last night. Is it old material or is he going back to his roots and doing new stand up stuff?
Mainly the latter, but he does recall on some jokes that got him his big break. Mixture of stand up and flash backs of his life. Well worth the watch.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The latter. It's very good.
Well, actually he has never done 100% new material even by his own admission - he adds pieces over the years. I saw it too but while the opening portion seemed fresh/original, he reverted to older material and it got a bit stale IMHO

The Bloody-Nine

Well, actually he has never done 100% new material even by his own admission - he adds pieces over the years. I saw it too but while the opening portion seemed fresh/original, he reverted to older material and it got a bit stale IMHO
Big fan but I agree with this.

The Bloody-Nine

I'm a big fan too although definitely less so for his stand up (Beyond a 10-20 min spot) and more for the Series and the ensemble cast & writing - timeless, IMHO
Same for me. Never been blown away by his stand up, which I find pretty pedestrian, but the show is great.

Peanut Butter

Yeah you're right - he did the gag about supporting a team's shirt rather than the actual team. That was before a Seinfeld episode I think?

The show is far better than his standup but he is still funny.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yeah you're right - he did the gag about supporting a team's shirt rather than the actual team. That was before a Seinfeld episode I think?

The show is far better than his standup but he is still funny.
Agreed and it's good to see him back out there despite being filthy rich and not needing to work - wasn't sure he would return to do it, early in the special it was nice to see at least

Peanut Butter

Agreed and it's good to see him back out there despite being filthy rich and not needing to work - wasn't sure he would return to do it, early in the special it was nice to see at least
He seems like a genuinely nice chap. Larry David is supposed to be a bit of a character mind you.

The Bloody-Nine

I have the dvd set and some of the extras regarding David are ridiculous. So much of the ludicrous shit that George pulled on the show, Larry actually pulled in real life.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I have the dvd set and some of the extras regarding David are ridiculous. So much of the ludicrous shit that George pulled on the show, Larry actually pulled in real life.
Well, when you watch Curb you realize that Larry is actually George rather than Jason Alexander

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I watched The Package episode last night. That's all I've ever done, just watch random episodes. I'm going to watch it through from the beginning.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Seinfeld to me is a unique brand of sitcom. For one all the characters except Kramer are genuinely unlikeable ass holes. Selfish, petty and with few redeemable qualities. Yet you still find yourself liking them.

Secondly, Seinfeld is probably the only sitcom where if you don't watch the first 5 minutes of the episode, you have no clue what the hell is going on for the rest of it. It's genuinely and thoroughly crafted story based absurd comedy. Just great work really.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
George Costanza must be one of the greatest characters in TV history.

decorativeed

Seinfeld to me is a unique brand of sitcom. For one all the characters except Kramer are genuinely unlikeable ass holes. Selfish, petty and with few redeemable qualities. Yet you still find yourself liking them.

Secondly, Seinfeld is probably the only sitcom where if you don't watch the first 5 minutes of the episode, you have no clue what the hell is going on for the rest of it. It's genuinely and thoroughly crafted story based absurd comedy. Just great work really.
I think It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has taken that concept to its logical conclusion since. Not one redeeming character amongst them!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The "Master of your own domain" episode was some of the best tv ever made.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Best comedy ever(including movies) alongside only fools and horses.

Costanza(both george and father) and Newman are class above.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
After reading through this thread I've decided to watch it from start to finish again. :D

Growing up I watched the show if I ever came across it on tv and while I thought it was pretty funny I wasn't really hooked as in I felt I had to get the box set or download every season. But then a couple of years ago I got a streaming service which fortunately had all seasons of Seinfeld on it so I decided to binge watch it and then I really 'got it', so many great characters and such a brilliant show throughout.

Art Vandelay

I think It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has taken that concept to its logical conclusion since. Not one redeeming character amongst them!
I have to agree and they've gotten worse over time too. It's Always Sunny has perfected it.

George Costanza must be one of the greatest characters in TV history.
I don't know who this Costanza fellow is, but he sounds like quite the character.

Elaine and Kramer would be up near the top too. Frank Costanza was brilliant.

decorativeed

I have to agree and they've gotten worse over time too. It's Always Sunny has perfected it.

I don't know who this Costanza fellow is, but he sounds like quite the character.

Elaine and Kramer would be up near the top too. Frank Costanza was brilliant.
:rolleyes:

And you want to be my latex salesman...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Jerry Stiller (Frank) was just about the only reason to watch King of Queens.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Took me about 5 goes before I really got it. My mate was a huge fan and he was always telling me to stick with it. I'd watch a couple of them on BBC 2 and be like "nah, not for me." He'd be super enthusiastic, so I'd give it another go, but have the same result. Then I discovered torrents, and downloaded a few seasons just to watch from the start and give it one last try. I'm so glad I did. I tore through them and burned them onto discs so that I could put them on whenever he came to visit. It is absolute genius. The way every episode has so many threads running through it which all come together at the end, just shows how fantastic the writing is. And George is, as has been said, one of the greatest characters in the whole of television. I still say "That's gatta hoit!" when someone bangs their head or something in work, even though no one else knows wtf I'm on about :lol:

If you put me on a desert island with this, Frasier and TPB, I'd never want to be rescued.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So many great episodes. The magic loogie stands out amongst many. They mocked Stone's JFK film.

There's an episode where Kramer and Elaine are attempting to short circuit an electrical outlet and I can only imagine how many outtakes it took to capture. You can see Julia trying to contain her laughter during the scene.

Also enjoyed this bit.

Member 39557

I watched the airport episode earlier. When Kramer runs along the side of the plane and slides down the baggage thing :lol:
Glad you're enjoying it Olly. Seinfeld and Frasier are unbelieveably good.

Inter Yer Nan

The greatest show ever. I've consciously made an effort over the last 2 years not to watch an episode so that one day I can go through them all again. I've probably seen every episode 20-30 times minimum.