Selling Fellaini was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

Should have sold him sooner, it was bigger mistake.

Fellaini was a bandage fix, he was never the answer to our problem. Good alternative option to have in the squad but last 3 managers (over) used him as a hail marry instead of addressing our real issue. It was just lazy and that kind of attitude is the reason we've been shit for 6 years straight compare to other EU giant

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have to assume this is just trolling, which in itself is pathetic enough, but if it’s real, then you are a buffoon.

el3mel

We shouldn’t be lumping it in the box to anyone, both Mata and Sanchez should’ve followed Fellaini out the door. Sanchez especially is a cnut on a kings wage
Well crossing is an integral part of this sport but that's not the point anyway. The point is you said what Fellaini would have offered is lumping and hoping while guess what, that's actually what we did the entire second half.

By selling Fellaini we simply don't have any more options to affect the game as Lukaku is far worse than him in air and Mata and Sanchez are absolutely useless. Fellaini was our only way to introduce something new but now all our subs when we are losing will be as shite as today.

I know no one will admit it anyway but yeah I maintain selling him without replacement while we are in a crucial part of the season was an idiotic decision.

beingshe7don

We shouldn’t be lumping it in the box to anyone, both Mata and Sanchez should’ve followed Fellaini out the door. Sanchez especially is a cnut on a kings wage
True and I would add Lukaku whose on 250k/ week in wages himself

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well crossing is an integral part of this sport but that's not the point anyway. The point is you said what Fellaini would have offered is lumping and hoping while guess what, that's actually what we did the entire second half.
I recall people saying that once Fellaini left we would no longer be able to lump the ball.

Sigh.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Here's another great comeback completely down to ̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶̶̶e̶̶̶x̶̶̶c̶̶̶e̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶M̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶k̶̶̶i̶̶̶c̶̶̶k̶̶̶ a̶n̶d̶ ̶B̶o̶n̶u̶c̶c̶i̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶g̶o̶a̶l̶ Fellaini trying to hit the ball but missing it instead.

It's right up there with coming back from 2-0 at the Emptihad against an opponent with a comparable surplus in individual quality and playing style to PSG, where Fellaini inspired us to greatness by not even being on the bench for the actual match.

Devil may care

We lost tonight because we have zero depth in the forward positions and are lacking another mobile, technical CM when playing sides with those kinds of CM's, Fellaini would have changed feck all about that game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't need him. We're not Stoke. Our backup can just be somebody better than the rubbish Sanchez.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not at all. Fellaini has his uses but there's a reason why he went to China and why no other top club has a Fellaini type player. It's not a good solution, it's a last ditch effort to just hoof it to a big guy and hope for a knockdown. Occasionally it works, but it fails loads of times until it goes well once and everyone remembers it.

RedDevil@84

Fellaini would have been sent off almost immediately. With all the play acting and a ref dishing out cards like it was a feast.

cheeky_backheel

Given our numerical inferiority in midfield, it was one game where the long ball with fellaini could have been effective

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
United needed him big time tonight.

Martial and Lingard's injuries exposed the vulnerability of the attacking play and the need for a proper plan B until the next manager can properly assess it.

Selling Fellaini was a careless move, could have been a possible triumph card tonight as Young, Mata started putting in aimless crosses to nobody.
Or we could have switched to a 4-4-2 and give more than one person to aim for on those crosses. Pogba has been doing great ever since Mourinho was fired, but today he was awful. I would have taken him off instead of Rashford when Lukaku was brought in. I also would have made that change sooner. PSG obviously planned on a way to take Pogba out of the game and they were executing it to perfection. Taking him out could have changed everything, not to mention he would still be available for the next game where he could regroup and work on what went wrong for him vs PSG...

BaneIsPain

He could be useful but not to the point of a ‘big miss’. Glad we move on from him

scholesyboy18

This thread has to be a wind up. Felliani would be watching the ball shadows if he was on the pitch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are we going to have these sort of threads whenever we lose a game? Bypassing the midfield by playing hoof ball is never the answer.

Adam_S

Real, Barca, Bayern and the rest have really missed a trick in not signing Fellaini, haven't they? Or maybe the solution to United's woes is not to find some gigantic mop to hoof the ball to and hope for the best but to ditch all the overpaid shite that we've been accumulating and get some decent, pacy players in who can actually play some half decent football.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It wasn't a mistake. Saying that is very much looking at things short term. We needed to get rid of him just like we need to get rid of the likes of Young/Sanchez/Mata

SiRed

Wasnt going to bite to this thread but i cant help it.
As a United fan, never ever regret the sale of Fellaini. Along with getting rid of Jose, it was the best decision the club has made since signing DDG.
PSG tactics were absolutely spot on last night.
Slow the game down in the first half, frustrate us with little fouls, go down under any contact, basically disrupt the flow of the game. In the 2nd half their quick, nimble players dominated the game. In both scenarios, Fellaini is useless. Scratch that..... In MOST scenarios, he is useless.
Thiago Silva and the other center half that should have been sent off before he scored were both powerful enough in the air to negate any threat Fellaini would have had.

RedIan

The lack of any real quality cover in midfield is a concern. Who do we now play for pogba in the return leg? Fred? Who cant get on as a sub under Ole - or maybe we rely on Mctominays craft to carve open psg. Fellani was never a man united player but id have waited until we get a replacement before letting him go. We are short in midfield cover now if pogba/matic/ander get crocked or banned.

Canagel

How did PSG get on without a big man to lump it towards btw?

Cardozo

There’s a reason he’s in China and not another big European side...

Oliver_

absolutely not! The mistake was not sticking Big Rom into the team at HT instead of Mata or Sanchez.

midnightmare

Yes - a man that the Turks didn't even want for free and that only had takers at a low price in China should have been retained. Or did you mean "Selling just Fellaini was a mistake"? I'd agree with the latter. Should have got shot of Alexis and Mata as well. Ghost players - occupy space, wages and subs, but don't actually do anything at all.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

As long as we are not on par with the teams like Paris, City, Barca etc. Fellaini woule have been useful against those. We did not manage to create one real chance yesterday and while I am not saying this is the way forward we are toothless in such games.

Kapardin

It's true Fellaini would have helped. But if you notice, ever since he was coaxed into signing a new deal by Jose, he seemed to be rather lax. His performances dropped as well during Jose's last few months and I don't think it was all on Jose's tactics and motivation.

I think he had his heart set on moving away from the club and since he couldn't find a better offer, he was forced to accept our offer. But he couldn't really set his mind on the job as he did in previous seasons, and I don't think he would have played as well even if Ole had given him a chance.

Fellaini has been a good servant, but his time here was clearly up even from his viewpoint. Which makes Jose's desperation to resign him even more pathetic as he couldn't even assess the player's mentality.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I swear, if the trend continues, he'll be seen as a Roy Keane reincarnation after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.