Semi Finals: Argentina vs Croatia | Eng... France vs Morocco

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
France basically stopped both England and Morocco from creating a chance from open play. That's not nothing, especially for a team that happily concede so much possesion.

But, if they stick with starting formation, and the man-child refuses to track back, Messi could have some real fun out on the right wing with just Hernandez keeping him company.

tjb

This is spot on. France are a very efficient team when going forward. Throughout 2 World Cups, they have shown that they can attack differently but still defend collectively as a team and maintain their shape...pragmatic football gets shit on here, but in tournament football, it's effective and at time necessary. They are extremely comfortable and disciplined when it comes to defending. It doesn't always work and yes they'll conceded, but it's still effective and they don't let matches get too out of hand like Croatia did against Argentina.

The one thing that hurts France is depth, but bringing on Thuram when Deschamps did was fantastic. Thuram has the better combination of size and speed on the outside, then moves Mbappe in the middle and allows him to move around. Giroud couldn't stretch Morocco as they have the pace, strength, and shape.
I actually said this against England before Giroud scored. France needed a bit more pace up front for both this game and that game. Ironically, I think Giroud will really shine against Argentina due his physicality. France will pump balls to him if need be and Griezmann and Mbappe are behind him to sweep them up.

The game will be similar to the Argentina - Holland game. The difference being that France have the attacking quality to actually punish Argentina, where Dutch attacks lacked the quality to create solid attacking moves. Argentina's build up play being poor will make setting up and hitting on the counter much easier. Hopefully Rabiot is back for that game.

At the other end, France haven't actually met an attacker like Messi. Shutting him down might mean France needing to secure that left side more and forcing Mbappe to defend on the left so that Rabiot/ Tchouemeni can carry that assignment.

tjb

And Argentina has faced Australia, a dutch side with no quality upfront, and Croatia with no legs after playing 240 minutes, to the reach the final

Yeah i would say, that both got similar paths.
It's the world cup. There are only so many rounds. If you actually do your job and win the group, chances are the team you play in the round of 16 will be weak.

Italy in 2006 played Australia, Ukraine before playing Germany and France.
Brazil in 2002 played Denmark, England, Turkey and Gemany.
France in 98 faced Paraguay, Italy, Croatia and Brazil
Brazil in 1994 played USA, Netherlands, Sweden and Italy
Argentina in 1986 played Uruguay, England, Belgium and Germany

In most world cups, the winners usually play either 2 or 3 strong national teams throughout the competition.

Kopral Jono

Was there a penalty for Morroco in the 1st half?
It would have been a bit soft but a penalty nonetheless, just like last night. The difference tonight is the ref was abysmal overall. France got away with a few hackings in the first half, after the break it was Dari the Moroccan defender's turn to do everything he could to be booked and Mbappe was also literally being kicked around yet nothing was given.

croadyman

Deschamps made some really good subs. Helped to kill off the game
Exactly why I would like him as England manager if Zidane takes over his job. He is willing to make those subs to change momentum

Mas Risky

France's playing style is very similar to Juventus' under Marcello Lippi. They can dominate whenever they want to, but they are also more than happy to soak up pressure and then hit their opponent with a counterattack. Very annoying team to face, especially for a chasing side.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
The biggest battle is how much pressure Messi and co pile on to T Hernandez. Unlike his brother he is rather suspect defensively, and if he is being given problems like was the case with Saka and even against Morocco....Mbappe is not going to see the ball as much as France would like. I am not confident this Argentina defense can deal with this French attack.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Those fouls by Morocco warranted more than 1 yellow card. I mean even that challenge that teared Mbappes laces was card worthy. The referee was atrocious
There was some lax reffing for sure. Morocco should have had 2 cards but for some reason he didn’t give them

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They created good openings that didn't translate to chances because of some excellent defending from Varane and Konate. They did put pressure a lot on France at the end of the first and beginning of the second,which made Deschamps have to change things. After that France basically controlled it.

But yeah, France clearly had the better chances in the game...but they didn't boss it or anything.
Great defensive play Fr. Griezemann ridiculous. It would have unfair to add Benzema to that

Lee565

In hindsight was Croatia and morocco's pulling off surprise victories a positive seeing as it resulted in two very anti climatic semi finals which did negatively impact the overall quality of this world cup

Eli Zee

Is there a clip of the Boufal yellow card challenge?

Looked like the ref got the whole challenge completely backwards but I can't find any video

lex talionis

Get a touch on the ball? Same way defenders need to get something on the ball before they send an attacker down. It’s actually really black and white, theres no shades of grey where these particular rules are concerned.

Imagine a midfielder running towards an attacker, the attacker shifts the ball out the way and the midfielder clatters the attacker; then the midfielder says “sorry what was I supposed to do? I couldn’t get out of the way after I’d made my move” :lol: I mean ffs you’d laugh your arse off at that. Why do people want keepers to get special treatment where fouling players is concerned?
If a keeper is standing still and an attacking player runs straight through, has the keeper committed a foul? Of course not. If a keeper initiates the contact with the attacking player, a foul is potentially committed. Potentially, because, as we all know, contact itself does not constitute a foul.

In this case, the attacking player clearly initiated the contact with the keeper, who had a right to the position he established first. The keeper did not lunge to impede the attacker, which if he did would be a foul. The attacker ran through the keeper, intelligently gambling on the cheap pk, no downside whatsoever for initiating the contact with the keeper.

Joel Miller

If a keeper is standing still and an attacking player runs straight through, has the keeper committed a foul? Of course not. If a keeper initiates the contact with the attacking player, a foul is potentially committed. Potentially, because, as we all know, contact itself does not constitute a foul.

In this case, the attacking player clearly initiated the contact with the keeper, who had a right to the position he established first. The keeper did not lunge to impede the attacker, which if he did would be a foul. The attacker ran through the keeper, intelligently gambling on the cheap pk, no downside whatsoever for initiating the contact with the keeper.
But the Keeper didn’t stand still, he came forward and made a move towards the attacker, got nothing on the ball and cleaned out the attacker. It’s cut and dry, I think that’s why Walton, McCoist et al were perplexed by Neville’s inane ramblings at half time.

lex talionis

But the Keeper didn’t stand still, he came forward and made a move towards the attacker, got nothing on the ball and cleaned out the attacker. It’s cut and dry, I think that’s why Walton, McCoist et al were perplexed by Neville’s inane ramblings at half time.
Yes, the keeper was of course not standing still. It's a rare event that a player in football is standing still. The point is that the keeper clearly had established his position, which he had every right to do, and that the attacking player right through the keeper.

It's nowhere close to being "cut and dry" and since my original post on this point I've learned that there has been global condemnation of the decision by the Italian referee.

Joel Miller

Yes, the keeper was of course not standing still. It's a rare event that a player in football is standing still. The point is that the keeper clearly had established his position, which he had every right to do, and that the attacking player right through the keeper.

It's nowhere close to being "cut and dry" and since my original post on this point I've learned that there has been global condemnation of the decision by the Italian referee.
“global condemnation” :lol:

yeah sure. And the rules are cut and dry, that’s why there was no VAR, and why Walton (who’s whole job was to learn and apply the rules) was bewilders by Neville and co’s failure to understand why it’s a clear penalty.