Seoul crowd crush - 146 dead

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surprised there’s not a thread on this. Absolutely terrifying. Such a horrible situation to find yourself in.

South Korea Halloween crush kills 120, injures 100 - officials

More than 100 people have died in a crush among huge Halloween crowds in a popular nightlife area of South Korea's capital, officials say.

The death toll jumped from 59 to 120 in the last hour, with local media reporting a further 100 injured.

Videos from Seoul's Itaewon district show body bags on the streets, emergency workers performing CPR, and rescuers trying to pull people trapped beneath others.

It is not known what caused the crush.

Jesus. I know they were having it pretty hard with Covid a few months ago, sounds like the reopening got way out of hand.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Daily Covid death numbers has massively desensitised us to what 120 dead people looks like.

This is horrifying.

Withnail

It's scary enough how quickly things like this can happen. We've all been in incredibly crowded places and thought nothing of it.

A vid popped up on twitter earlier with the loads of people getting CPR. I wouldn't recommend seeking it out. It was quite harrowing. I only watched a couple of seconds.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's scary enough how quickly things like this can happen. We've all been in incredibly crowded places and thought nothing of it.

A vid popped up on twitter earlier with the loads of people getting CPR. I wouldn't recommend seeking it out. It was quite harrowing. I only watched a couple of seconds.
Just viewed it. Bodies everywhere. Terrible.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The selfie videos of people inside the crowds are claustrophobia inducing, stuff of nightmares.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Used to hang out there all the time. Insane how that could happen. It’s become such a popular place in recent years. Wonder what the actual causes of death were. I’m reading cardiac arrest, and also people falling and getting trampled on.

RedDevilQuebecois

Death toll now raised to 146 and expected to be higher. Stuff of nightmares.

Live updates (CNN)

Saw this slightly below the most recent post.

Local fire officials said the emergency was not due to a gas leak or a fire in the popular nightclub district, but that they started receiving reports of people “buried” in the crowds there around 10:24 p.m. local time (9:24 a.m. ET) Saturday.

CNN’s Will Ripley reported that even before the chaos broke out, Halloween partygoers were packed so tightly in the narrow streets that it was difficult to move around.
Where was the police when crowd control is their job? Tell me that could be prevented.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Sadly this seems to be a perfect storm of an easing of lockdown and a big event in the calendar. The videos I've seen on twitter are shocking. It seems like most are dead and those working away to try and 'save' their friends and relatives are going through the motions despite it being pretty clear they are not coming back. An awful situation.

Red_toad

Daily Covid death numbers has massively desensitised us to what 120 dead people looks like.

This is horrifying.
When it broke the Covid vaccine mob were out in force as initial reports were multiple heart attacks, vile feckin humans spreading bile.

phelans shorts

When it broke the Covid vaccine mob were out in force as initial reports were multiple heart attacks, vile feckin humans spreading bile.
It’s worth pointing out that in any crush cardiac arrest will be one of the top causes of death. The stress the unfortunate ones stuck in it are under just proves too much.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
So sad. I read that it all started when they heard some celebrity was there and everyone started rushing towards where the celebrity was.

RedDevilQuebecois

So sad. I read that it all started when they heard some celebrity was there and everyone started rushing towards where the celebrity was.
That's not helping at all when you know how MAD South Koreans can be as fans of x celebrity. Regardless, my biggest question is about what the heck was the Seoul PD was doing all of this time to allow people to get so tightly packed in those narrow streets.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
That's not helping at all when you know how MAD South Koreans can be as fans of x celebrity. Regardless, my biggest question is about what the heck was the Seoul PD was doing all of this time to allow people to get so tightly packed in those narrow streets.
Yep and whoever is in charge of public safety has to answer some serious questions. Sounds like there was absolutely no measure in place to ensure proper crowd control.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not sure the first action here should be finger pointing. This can happen in many nightlife districts across the world. A lot of people don't know of the dangers associated with crowds... I probably wouldn't have known of this dangers if not for being a football fan aware of Hillsborough, for example.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
iirc there’s a police station right in front of the Hamilton hotel. There's no reason they wouldn't know how big the crowd was getting and to make adjustments accordingly. At the same time, this isn't an official planned or sponsored event. People just know that itaewon is the place to be for halloween. My wife was reading some Korean blogs and most were crushed to death while standing.. just unimaginable. The main alley where most were gathered is like an upside-down U shape with the top of the U on a hill. The 2 entry/exit points are downhill. People in the middle of the alley had no way to escape.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
iirc there’s a police station right in front of the Hamilton hotel. There's no reason they wouldn't know how big the crowd was getting and to make adjustments accordingly. At the same time, this isn't an official planned or sponsored event. People just know that itaewon is the place to be for halloween. My wife was reading some Korean blogs and most were crushed to death while standing.. just unimaginable. The main alley where most were gathered is like an upside-down U shape with the top of the U on a hill. The 2 entry/exit points are downhill. People in the middle of the alley had no way to escape.
I went to Itaewon earlier this year and I remember it's hilly as hell round there, with the shops in narrow streets.
It's a really cool place and this story is so sad. Such a horrible way to die.

celia

150 or so people dead because people wanted a glimpse of a celebrity.

Fecking clowns.
It has not been confirmed. so please consider it more like a rumor (like the one telling there were some drugs) to blame the victims. So far, it seems 100k people were expected and no measure were taken. During some previous Halloween events with more people (200k). some crowd controls measures were in place. The police was understaffed.

Last edited:

Sara125

In some of the NSFW clips I saw people in the crowd who were purple/blue and not moving. What a scary situation to be in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jesus. Horrific. How many people were there? Surely whoever was in charge are in trouble

I’ve given up on packed places, I don’t know how anyone enjoys being packed in

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This reminds me a bit of one of the Mardi Gras I went to. At major intersections on Bourbon Street, I could literally lift both feet off the ground & be moved along by the crush of the crowd.

Quite the unsettling feeling.

RedDevilQuebecois

This was more or less the same kind of Halloween festivities in Shibuya on the same Saturday.

In that same thread, Jeffrey Hall mentioned a deadly stampede that cost 11 lives - mosty children - following a Japanese fireworks festival on 21 July 2001. All lessons on crowd control have been learned and applied by Japanese police forces since. I hope the same recommendations will come out of the public investigation on the events in Itaewon.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This reminds me a bit of one of the Mardi Gras I went to. At major intersections on Bourbon Street, I could literally lift both feet off the ground & be moved along by the crush of the crowd.

Yeah we were in downtown Toronto when the Raptors won the championship and it was complete chaos. At one point we literally couldn’t move and a bus with fans sitting on the roof of it was blocking half the street so we all got funnelled into a small area behind it to get through. The only reason we got out of it was because of the sheer force of people pushing behind us. Was a horrible feeling.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely horrible. I can't imagine being in that situation. I'm claustrophobic as it is

MarylandMUFan

Interesting. I have a co-worker (here in the USA) that grew up in Stoke and used to go to football matches and remembers the same thing at matches (being able to lift your feet and not fall because of the crowd being packed in so tight in the terraces). It's amazing more people were not injured at regular matches with the terrace stands.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Interesting. I have a co-worker (here in the USA) that grew up in Stoke and used to go to football matches and remembers the same thing at matches (being able to lift your feet and not fall because of the crowd being packed in so tight in the terraces). It's amazing more people were not injured at regular matches with the terrace stands.
They were dangerous in the way they were designed. It was OK if everyone stood reasonably still, but when there was a goal everyone would move. My sister was knocked over and trampled on at Maine Road back in the 70s (she was OK, just bruised), but it was so easy to see how a disaster could happen (particularly as many of the people there were drinking).

Sara125

It looks like the celebrity thing was just a rumour. From what I’ve kind of gathered the reason there was no crowd control is because there wasn’t one particular event, it’s just that that area as a whole is the hotspot during halloween

Zlatattack

What a horrible thing to happen. All those people just went out to have a good time, not knowing they'd never go home again.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
For a long list of various reasons this incident has hit me a lot harder than most tragedies. I've been looking through some of the Korean subreddits for information and it seems like the Seoul police are doing their best to shift the blame away. They also claim that they had twice the normal police presence compared to previous Halloweens. But in my opinion that just makes them seem even more incompetent.

Overall the common theme seems to be that there will be no accountability, which undoubtedly will make the tragedy hurt even more for all involved.

adexkola

Supports

I've been to Bourbon Street in "off peak" season (July) and it was still busy. There is no way I'd go near it on Mardi Gras.

adexkola

Supports
This was more or less the same kind of Halloween festivities in Shibuya on the same Saturday.

In that same thread, Jeffrey Hall mentioned a deadly stampede that cost 11 lives - mosty children - following a Japanese fireworksit festival on 21 July 2001. All lessons on crowd control have been learned and applied by Japanese police forces since. I hope the same recommendations will come out of the public investigation on the events in Itaewon.
It's a shame that most countries have to experience tragedies like this to understand the need to implement effective crowd control measures. A lot of people, professionals/authorities included, just don't know the dangers of a tightly packed crowd.