Serge Gnabry | Bayern player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Gnabry is inconsistent for Bayern, some games he is unplayable and others he is forgettable but he tries and is disciplined which fits with Bayern. I would say that he is in the same bracket than someone like Brandt.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guys, relax. It’s the same guy who only discovered Illic this season and after 2-3 games thought he was world class and the answer to United’s right wing
I mean, before the lockdown Ilicic was a genuine ballon d'or candidate

But still :lol:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Those who watched just a few of Bayern's games would think Gnabry is among their best players.

Gnabry is great, but I feel like people suddenly rate him above even Lewandowski.

Lewandowski carried Bayern literally all season, even when Kovac was still there. Then Lewandowski had a great game yesterday only he missed two good chances and suddenly people say Lewy is overrated and Gnabry is Bayern's mvp.

It's the other way around though. Gnabry is very good, but Lewandowski is the best player in the world right now.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Gnabry is inconsistent for Bayern, some games he is unplayable and others he is forgettable but he tries and is disciplined which fits with Bayern. I would say that he is in the same bracket than someone like Brandt.
Brandt is the polar opposite of Gnabry, shines in the right environment but cumbles under pressure/expectations. There is a reason why Gnabry took the german NT by storm while Brandt still struggles to find his place.
It's also kind of over the top to suggest that Gnabry is "inconsistent". He never had more than 3 games in a row without an assist or goal this season and he is now at 45 games, 23 goals and 14 assists. Only way to call Gnabry inconsistent is some crazy standard like maybe a Messi or CR but Gnabry is at 88,59 min per goal/assist. On top of that Gnabry likes to score in important matches, be it the cup final or now in the CL. Even the season before he was our best attacker in the CL (Gnabry was the only one who did something against Liverpool while Lewandowski was completetly invisible).
I feel like Messi/CR have totally destroyed any sensible approach to what "consistency" in football means. All top players have also days in which they are "forgettable" and that's even more true for past greats (a lot of people for example don't really remember how average Zidane could be in the day to day stuff and never had exceptional output there).

Those who watched just a few of Bayern's games would think Gnabry is among their best players.

Gnabry is great, but I feel like people suddenly rate him above even Lewandowski.

Lewandowski carried Bayern literally all season, even when Kovac was still there. Then Lewandowski had a great game yesterday only he missed two good chances and suddenly people say Lewy is overrated and Gnabry is Bayern's mvp.

It's the other way around though. Gnabry is very good, but Lewandowski is the best player in the world right now.
I mean Gnabry is among our best players, there can be no doubt about that.
Lewandowski is above him due to his consistency over the years (Gnabry is only in his 2nd season for us) and as striker he obviously gets more attention/chances in average. Lewandowski is certainly not overrated but I'm really not surprised that he is currently having a harder time to shine. Defenders focus on him so it's tough for him though there is no excuse for missing the chance for Gnabry's 2nd goal and there is a serious argument to be made that Gnabry is a player made for matches like these. He seems to be able to have his best performances in high profile matches and that isn't always true for Lewandowski who sometimes isn't as effective as in "normal" games.
The thing is with our attack all of Lewandowski, Müller and Gnabry have the ability to have a "MVP" day. Müller did so against Barca, Gnabry now vs Lyon and before that it was often Lewandowski too.
One thing that should be highlighted is of course that Lewandowski has been great in regards to his work rate which is true for Müller and Gnabry too but it's certainly not a given for a striker of Lewandowski's quality. For me that's also the key to all our attackers being able to shine.
The one "weak" spot in our attack is currently the 2nd winger position with Perisic/Coman. Both are "just" good players. Perisic is experienced and gives you good output over a season while Coman has exceptional speed though lacks end product but both aren't on the level of Lewandowski/Müller/Gnabry. That's why I'm really curious to see Sane in the team, he is pretty much the missing piece.

Reactions: SilentWitness

JPRouve

Scout
Brandt is the polar opposite of Gnabry, shines in the right environment but cumbles under pressure/expectations. There is a reason why Gnabry took the german NT by storm while Brandt still struggles to find his place.
It's also kind of over the top to suggest that Gnabry is "inconsistent". He never had more than 3 games in a row without an assist or goal this season and he is now at 45 games, 23 goals and 14 assists. Only way to call Gnabry inconsistent is some crazy standard like maybe a Messi or CR but Gnabry is at 88,59 min per goal/assist. On top of that Gnabry likes to score in important matches, be it the cup final or now in the CL. Even the season before he was our best attacker in the CL (Gnabry was the only one who did something against Liverpool while Lewandowski was completetly invisible).
I feel like Messi/CR have totally destroyed any sensible approach to what "consistency" in football means. All top players have also days in which they are "forgettable" and that's even more true for past greats (a lot of people for example don't really remember how average Zidane could be in the day to day stuff and never had exceptional output there).
I'm talking their level not their style, they are different players. And when compared to players like Neymar he is inconsistent, most players are.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He did look garbage when he was at Arsenal to be fair, his transformation at Bayern has been something else. One of the biggest improvements made by a player I've seen.

Imagine if Lingard left United to join Bayern for a small fee and suddenly blossomed into an elite winger. This situation isn't all that different to be honest.
This is just plain wrong. He looked great whenever he played for Arsenal. Was struck by injuries and loaned out to Pulis who's blind when it comes to attacking players. Or maybe he just wanted to stick it in to Arsenal. The only mistake Wenger made was to loan him out to such a ridiculous manager.
This is Gnabry when he was 18.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Another great talent wasted by Premier League stupid brand of football (which is getting better in a few teams). Basically ask all 11 players to play 1 on1

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm talking their level not their style, they are different players. And when compared to players like Neymar he is inconsistent, most players are.
He's not really talking about style but level. He's saying Gnabry plays at a higher level than Brandt.

JPRouve

Scout
He's not really talking about style but level. He's saying Gnabry plays at a higher level than Brandt.
And I disagree, I think that Brandt has been playing at a similar level in the last two seasons than Gnabry. Maybe I'm wrong but this season I would put Brandt, Gnabry and Thuram in the same bracket, Havertz slightly above and Sancho above everyone. It's not based on science or fact but just the feeling I have after watching them.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
And I disagree, I think that Brandt has been playing at a similar level in the last two seasons than Gnabry. Maybe I'm wrong but this season I would put Brandt, Gnabry and Thuram in the same bracket, Havertz slightly above and Sancho above everyone. It's not based on science or fact but just the feeling I have after watching them.
Gnabry definitely played a better season than Brandt. Pretty sure every Dortmund fan would even agree. Not even so sure about Havertz. First half of the season he was pretty bad. And becasue of Gnabry´s CL performance I see him at least in Havertz bracket.

JPRouve

Scout
Gnabry definitely played a better season than Brandt. Pretty sure every Dortmund fan would even agree. Not even so sure about Havertz. First half of the season he was pretty bad. And becasue of Gnabry´s CL performance I see him at least in Havertz bracket.
The problem with Gnabry CL performances is that I don't think that he was particularly good during the first part of the season outside of that one game against Tottenham who were disgraceful, he has been good in the KO phases but I don't think that he has been exceptional, even during the last game were he got lots of praises or the game against Barcelona. I see him more has a piece in a well oiled machine and have Kimmich, Muller, Lewandowski, Alaba, Davies and even Pavard has better performers this season, I don't mention Neuer because I don't really know how to judge him.

But if you think that I'm wrong, fair enough.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Brandt was played out of position in the beginning. When Favre played him in CM, he's usually been excellent. 2018/19 for me is no discussion. Under Bosz, Brandt was unplayable. 17 scorers (no penalities) in 17 games as a CM and he wasn't even about goals/assist, primarily, but also the most important player in the build up. If he had continued that form, he'd be one of the hottest prospects in Europe. Should've stayed at us for another season, IMO.

Havertz' first half was also better than people remember. Didn't score much but was still our best player in most games. Thing is, people are so used to him scoring that he can't have a good game without at least an assist.

Talent-wise, I have both players ahead of Gnabry.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Another great talent wasted by Premier League stupid brand of football (which is getting better in a few teams). Basically ask all 11 players to play 1 on1
Yeah, that's not even remotely true.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
The problem with Gnabry CL performances is that I don't think that he was particulary good during the first part of the season outside of that one game against Tottenham who were disgraceful, he has been good in the KO phases but I don't think that he has exceptional, even during the last game were he got lots of praises or the game against Barcelona. I see him more has a piece in a well oiled machine and have Kimmich, Muller, Lewandowski, Alaba, Davies and even Pavard has better performers this season, I don't mention Neuer because I don't really know how to judge him.

Gnabry definitely isn`t as consistent as many people think who don't regularely watch him. But Brandt and even to some extent Havertz has been inconsistent too. Imo Gnabry still stands out since he made many many important goals. Scoring is his main job as a attacking player. In addition to this his pressing game and contribution to the defence has been amazing. I see your point and agree to a degree, just disagree to put Brandt and Gnabry in the same bracket.

In general , people hype or talk bad about players way too fast.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The problem with Gnabry CL performances is that I don't think that he was particularly good during the first part of the season outside of that one game against Tottenham who were disgraceful, he has been good in the KO phases but I don't think that he has been exceptional, even during the last game were he got lots of praises or the game against Barcelona. I see him more has a piece in a well oiled machine and have Kimmich, Muller, Lewandowski, Alaba, Davies and even Pavard has better performers this season, I don't mention Neuer because I don't really know how to judge him.

Serge delivers when it matters. Something both Brandt and Havertz have yet to prove.

JPRouve

Scout
Gnabry definitely isn`t as consistent as many people think who don't regularely watch him. But Brandt and even to some extent Havertz has been inconsistent too. Imo Gnabry still stands out since he made many many important goals. Scoring is his main job as a attacking player. In addition to this his pressing game and contribution to the defence has been amazing. I see your point and agree to a degree, just disagree to put Brandt and Gnabry in the same bracket.

In general , people hype or talk bad about players way too fast.
That was kind of my point, I probably overstated it.

Serge delivers when it matters. Something both Brandt and Havertz have yet to prove.
That's true and this season he has been able to score or assist in games where he wasn't particularly good.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Still can't believe arsenal sold this guy for £5m...? To give Iwobi more game time was the excuse at the time of I remember correctly :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And people harp on about Lewandowski when Gnabry is the better player. I don’t care how many goals Lewandowski scores in the bundesliga. When it comes to the big games in champions league, i rather have Gnabry
But I hope all of you realise there is no Balon Dor this year.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But I hope all of you realise there is no Balon Dor this year.
Rummenigge will bribe someone to still hand it out though. :lol:
And to the post calling Gnabry a better player than Lewandowski: just no.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I can't find that post from the guy who claimed Gnabry is better than Lewandowsko, but that's just hilarious.

Lewandowski is Bayern's best player thos season by quite a margin. Kimmich would probably be the next best.

Lewandowski had probably his only obvious miss of the entire season against Lyon. Then still he ran and worked harder forwards of his reputation ever do, won the ball many times, had a great assist to Goretzka had he not missed the ball, and scored a great header.

But that's just one game anyways. Lewandowski carried Bayern pretty much all season.

Rummenigge will bribe someone to still hand it out though. :lol:
And to the post calling Gnabry a better player than Lewandowski: just no.
Quite insane that Rummenigge himself is the last Bayern player to win the award, back to back in 1980 and 1981.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can't find that post from the guy who claimed Gnabry is better than Lewandowsko, but that's just hilarious.
He seems to have deleted the post. :lol:
amolbhatia50k quoted it two or so posts above yours.