Serge Gnabry | Bayern player

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
How ex-players like Ferdinand get a job as pundit?
They aren't even informing themselves about players, they are just talking whatever they want.

Gnabry never was called "not good enough" by Arsenal.

Rajma

Such a non nonsense player. Can’t believe Gnabry turned out the way he did, credit to him for such a vast improvement.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They aren't even informing themselves about players, they are just talking whatever they want.

They're not going to come out with a statement saying that but they never played him and sold him for peanuts.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

It's Rio Ferdinand.Most former Unted players talk b*ll*cks.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
They're not going to come out with a statement saying that but they never played him and sold him for peanuts.
That's wrong again.

Gnabry wanted to leave, wanted to start his career new.
He always struggled with injuries in England, even at all loans. Wenger wanted to extend his contract, because his talent was always obvious.

Gnabry changed his lifestyle completely to stay fit and it completely works. He needed a new start in Germany for himself, but he was never called not good enough.

Wayne's World

He's the most lethal winger in world football.

I honestly think everytime he gets a chance at goal or gets a shooting opportunity that he's going to put the ball in the net. Very few players I have ever said that about (Messi and Ronaldo being the obvious examples)

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
"they never played him and sold him for peanuts."

Which part of what I said is wrong?

That they never played him or that they sold him for peanuts?
Pretty much both?
He played games, even in the PL despite all these injuries. Had chances on loan. But as i said, he struggled with injuries.
And the Arsenal team played CL in these times and Gnabry wasn't even 20, had much more competition.

And 5m for a talent with injuries and 1 year left on his contract aren't peanuts in this situation.
There was even this "strange" deal with Werder, because Arsenal doesn't wanted to sell him to Bayern. But you surely know better as a Chelsea Fan than a Werder/Arsenal-Fan, who has followed Gnabry since many years.

shahzy

If this guy played for Dortmund, how much would they be quoting us?
From very limited experience watching bundesliga for about a combination of 1.5 games this whole season, he looks just as good as Sancho tbh.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Pretty much both?
He played games, even in the PL despite all these injuries. Had chances on loan. But as i said, he struggled with injuries.
And the Arsenal team played CL in these times and Gnabry wasn't even 20, had much more competition.

And 5m for a talent with injuries and 1 year left on his contract aren't peanuts in this situation.
There was even this "strange" deal with Werder, because Arsenal doesn't wanted to sell him to Bayern. But you surely know better as a Chelsea Fan than a Werder/Arsenal-Fan, who has followed Gnabry since many years.
Regardless of how many teams you support, he played 872 minutes in the 4 years at Arsenal after making he debut, that's hardly anything.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's wrong again.

He always struggled with injuries in England, even at all loans. Wenger wanted to extend his contract, because his talent was always obvious.

Gnabry changed his lifestyle completely to stay fit and it completely works. He needed a new start in Germany for himself, but he was never called not good enough.
It was implied but by Tony Pulis at WBA, not Arsenal

shahzy

Dunno what they do with all their money considering how efficient they are in the market (and their revenue has been comparable to ours).

At least they fecked up with Lucas Hernandez (not that he is bad, but they got Davies which means that they spent 80 million for a bench player).
Check under their matresses. Probably find a few coins there.
Also wasnt/didnt Lucas Hernandez want to be a centre back. So he could still yet become a regular

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
From very limited experience watching bundesliga for about a combination of 1.5 games this whole season, he looks just as good as Sancho tbh.
Sanchos passing is much better, he sometimes makes passes you would expect from a number 10. Gnabrys passing is okay, nothing more.
Otherwise they're quite comparable I'd say.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, he is 5 years older than Sancho.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Regardless of how many teams you support, he played 872 minutes in the 4 years at Arsenal after making he debut, that's hardly anything.
That's cool if you look only at the minutes.
He joined Arsenal with 15 (2011), so you know how many years he played in the youth and in second team at the end, one year loan at WBA.

And in this time it wasn't like nowadays, where you play the talents with 17 and 18 already.

Just wanted to say: "not good enough" (what Rio said) never was true. That's what i just wanted to say and had nothing to do with peanuts or hasn't good enough minutes.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, I remember Caf was convinced that Januzaj was the better talent. And it clearly looked to be the case in 2013-2014.

One of the real late bloomers.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Gnabry was an extremely highly rated talent in Germany when he moved to Arsenal (a lot of top clubs in europe were interested in him at that time) and in his early time there it looked like his career would go as expected (early promising debut for Arsenal etc). It was injuries that derailed his career and any injury in the critical age of 18-21 is poison for the development of a player. Most talents don't recover from such a period or will at least never fulfill their potential but Gnabry was obviously able to find back on track.
The thing is a lot of people just know the West Brom Gnabry or the one who "wasn't good enough for Arsenal", they aren't aware that Gnabry was always rated as exceptional talent in his youth days. So it's not like Gnabry suddenly turned into a great player, he is "just" making use of the potential that was always there.
Compare that to Sane who was not even rated as a very promising youth player until he was 17, 18 years old, he came pretty much out of nowhere at Schalke and yet people perceive him as "obvious" world class talent.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Gnabry was an extremely highly rated talent in Germany when he moved to Arsenal (a lot of top clubs in europe were interested in him at that time) and in his early time there it looked like his career would go as expected (early promising debut for Arsenal etc). It was injuries that derailed his career and any injury in the critical age of 18-21 is poison for the development of a player. Most talents don't recover from such a period or will at least never fulfill their potential but Gnabry was obviously able to find back on track.
The thing is a lot of people just know the West Ham Gnabry or the one who "wasn't good enough for Arsenal", they aren't aware that Gnabry was always rated as exceptional talent in his youth days. So it's not like Gnabry suddenly turned into a great player, he is "just" making use of the potential that was always there.
Compare that to Sane who was not even rated as a very promising youth player until he was 17, 18 years old, he came pretty much out of nowhere at Schalke and yet people perceive him as "obvious" world class talent.
Most people do not watch kids' football. They rate players based on their footballing ability for real teams.

Sane looked far better than Gnabry at their respective ages.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's wrong again.

Now let's not completely rewrite history. Wenger and Arsenal were only really keen on extending his contract after the Olympics where Gnabry played excellent football and made a name for himself. By that time it was already too late to change his mind.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
We screwed this one up big time. Injuries played their part but when you look at the rubbish that has played for Arsenal over the years it’s amazing Gnabry never got a real chance to prove himself. He did play very well in the few games I saw him in and there was never really an explanation why he didn’t get more game time I just assumed Wenger didn’t rate him.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Typical Arsenal... keep extending shit players like Wilshere and many others, while Arsene did not fully perceive Gnabry‘s potential.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Laugh out loud at the arse fans trying to rewrite history.

Player gets feck all game time and is sold for feck all, not an eyebrow was raised.

"Noooo, we always saw the talent. Arsene himself begged Gnabry to stay and most fans were inconsolable when he left".

Absolute. Bollocks.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
He got his chance with the first team early in the 2013/14 season when we had Podolski, Walcott and Ox out. He was 18 but he put some really promising performances and most Arsenal fans were really excited about him. Unfortunately, he got injured and when he came, he got a run in the side but he couldn't replicate his form earlier in the season consistently. That plus the fact that Ox and Podolski were inform limited Gnabry's playing time. He then had a serious knee injury that put him out for 10 months and when he came back late in 2014/15 we had Sanchez plus 5 other options on the wing so it was difficult for him.

Don't know the details surrounding his departure but I was pretty disappointed it didn't work out. Regardless, I'm happy for him and I think going to Germany was the best decision for his development. I don't think he would have been able to reach this level had he stayed with Arsenal or gone to another Premier league team.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Laugh out loud at the arse fans trying to rewrite history.

Player gets feck all game time and is sold for feck all, not an eyebrow was raised.

"Noooo, we always saw the talent. Arsene himself begged Gnabry to stay and most fans were inconsolable when he left".

Absolute. Bollocks.
Should be the title of your post.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Can't believe that venger once said of Gnabry "he'll only ever be good enough for Accrington Stanley".

Blood Mage

He did look garbage when he was at Arsenal to be fair, his transformation at Bayern has been something else. One of the biggest improvements made by a player I've seen.

Imagine if Lingard left United to join Bayern for a small fee and suddenly blossomed into an elite winger. This situation isn't all that different to be honest.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He got his chance with the first team early in the 2013/14 season when we had Podolski, Walcott and Ox out. He was 18 but he put some really promising performances and most Arsenal fans were really excited about him. Unfortunately, he got injured and when he came, he got a run in the side but he couldn't replicate his form earlier in the season consistently. That plus the fact that Ox and Podolski were inform limited Gnabry's playing time. He then had a serious knee injury that put him out for 10 months and when he came back late in 2014/15 we had Sanchez plus 5 other options on the wing so it was difficult for him.

Don't know the details surrounding his departure but I was pretty disappointed it didn't work out. Regardless, I'm happy for him and I think going to Germany was the best decision for his development. I don't think he would have been able to reach this level had he stayed with Arsenal or gone to another Premier league team.
That's about right. But I think Wenger bears some real responsibility too. Those five other options ahead of Gnabry included players like Ox, Iwobi, and Campbell, all of whom got minutes ahead of him in the (relatively short) periods when he was healthy and available for selection in the 14-15 and 15-16 seasons. Gnabry by many reports didn't have the best attitude. But Wenger gave minutes to players with a tenth of his talent so you can't really blame him for feeling that he needed to leave the club.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Bayern had no reason to sell him. Maybe only you're ready to pay more than current world record fee. Here Sancho deal is stalled by talk about fee. So...
It would take a gigantic fee. Should at least see if we can get him looking at us for the next contact. Worth a shot.

DarkLord

I used to like him a lot but he talks too much.

LuckyScout78

Personally i would pick Gnabry over Neymar every day of the week. Anytime. Easily choice. And if Bayern Munchen win champion league this year. Ballon D'or should go to Lewandoski or Gnabry. Lewandoski and Gnabry, both have been phenomenal this season. Over a whole season. Both domestic and in ch.league.

My vote to Ballon D'or this season go one of Gnabry or Lewandoski. And hopefully they will win on Sunday. It has been a big pleasure to watch those two with their teammates this season. 8-2 over Messi and Barcelona say it all. No Ballon Dor to Messi this season. And Neymar has been injury alot this season. If Bayern Munchen win on Sunday. Clearly Ballon Dor title go to one of this phenomenal player.
Gnabry is on some slight consistent level over Neymar. Neymar is a top dribler, but Neymar end product is a level under Gnabry level, consistent over a season. Gnabry dont only has top end product. Gnabry is top skillful with the ball too and can beat players with ease too. In other words the full packet of Gnabry. May it easy to pick Gnabry over Neymar.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Personally i would pick Gnabry over Neymar every day of the week. Anytime. Easily choice. And if Bayern Munchen win champion league this year. Ballon D'or should go to Lewandoski or Gnabry. Lewandoski and Gnabry, both have been phenomenal this season. Over a whole season. Both domestic and in ch.league.

My vote to Ballon D'or this season go one of Gnabry or Lewandoski. And hopefully they will win on Sunday. It has been a big pleasure to watch those two with their teammates this season. 8-2 over Messi and Barcelona say it all. No Ballon Dor to Messi this season. And Neymar has been injury alot this season. If Bayern Munchen win on Sunday. Clearly Ballon Dor title go to one of this phenomenal player.
Gnabry is on some slight consistent level over Neymar. Neymar is a top dribler, but Neymar end product is a level under Gnabry level, consistent over a season. Gnabry dont only has top end product. Gnabry is top skillful with the ball too and can beat players with ease too. In other words the full packet of Gnabry. May it easy to pick Gnabry over Neymar.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the hyperbole starts.

Ffs.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a Bayern fan I have to say: Dude...calm down :lol:
Gnabry is probably not even in the Top-5 Bayern players this season. Lewandowski, Müller, Kimmich, Davies and Alaba had better seasons in my opinion.

But Lewandowski should definitely win the ballon d'or, no matter how the game on sunday ends.
His season in stats:
- League: 31 games - 38 scorer (34 goals, 4 assists)
- Cup: 5 games - 6 scorer (6 goals, 0 assists)
- CL: 9 games - 21 scorer (15 goals, 6 assists)
(Source: https://www.transfermarkt.de/robert...19&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I love Gnabry, he's developed brilliantly but not even his mother thinks he's better than Neymar. Maybe we should start with the Mane/Sterlong bracket first before comparing him with a player that has a fair shout at being the currently best footballet in the world.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guys, relax. It’s the same guy who only discovered Illic this season and after 2-3 games thought he was world class and the answer to United’s right wing