Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How would he work if he plays on the left side of midfield too? Literally exact same position as Pogba. Anyone seen more of him to say he can operate in the right side?
Pogba has played the right side all season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think SMS looks like a better version of Barkley. Although Barkley has had some good seasons where people have been equally as excited about him, his stock just isn't high right now.

Having said that I'm not sure if either are exactly what we need. SMS looks good and if we didn't have Pogba I'd be all for it. But I would like to see a bit more guile added into midfield, somebody that barely loses the ball and can create chances and open up a defence.

If we were to go for SMS then it would still be exciting, but I think we'll still need that 'genius' in the final third. Playing 3 CMs is overkill in 90% of our games. I think we'd have to find an outstanding winger or two to compensate. Perhaps unleash our fullbacks to overwhelm the opposition with numbers instead.
Yea, you seem to be in agreement to my first paragraph. I think our midfield needs a metronome Xavi type more than anything else.

Barkley is in his final year though and I’d take him as an additional player, cheaper option to SMS, and a viable bench player to add cover and competition.

Devil may care

Yea, you seem to be in agreement to my first paragraph. I think our midfield needs a metronome Xavi type more than anything else.

Barkley is in his final year though and I’d take him as an additional player, cheaper option to SMS, and a viable bench player to add cover and competition.
I think Barkley is too brainless personally, but on a free, if he was willing to be a squad player and mostly on the bench, then he might be an option, I just doubt he's willing to be a bench guy and I don't think you could risk him and Pogba in the same side, it would make Matic's job harder.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Ok maybe I'm being a bit dim, but what the hell is a metronomic / metronome midfielder?

And who is currently one of these?

Devil may care

Ok maybe I'm being a bit dim, but what the hell is a metronomic / metronome midfielder?

Kroos, Modric, Thiago, Verratti, Pjanic, former examples are player slike Scholes, Alonso and Xavi.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kroos, Modric, Thiago, Verratti, Pjanic, former examples are player slike Scholes, Alonso and Xavi.
So a metronomic midfielder is a world class midfielder who we have very little chance of signing?

Devil may care

So a metronomic midfielder is a world class midfielder who we have very little chance of signing?
No, CM's that control the tempo of the play and move the team around with their passing while rarely giving the ball away, obivously you have to get the next ones coming through now, I was just giving an example of the what the term meant.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Jorginho?

To be honest, United could probably do with both him and Savic if they are to compete with City's midfield. Get rid of Herrera and Fellaini.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

‘Metronome’ is a musical term used to describe a clicking sound that sets the rhythm.

Bwuk

Pogba - Savic as a pairing would be similar to Gerrard/Lampard imo. Wouldn't work.

With Matic behind them they'd be fine though.

United Pro

‘Metronome’ is a musical term used to describe a clicking sound that sets the rhythm.
I read an article a few days back that stated that a lot of French fans rate Maxime Lopez as the best young French talent (over Mbappe, Martial and Dembele). This naturally peaked my interest and I looked more into him and watched a few videos of him and noticed that he plays somewhat similarly in style to Iniesta. He's quick, technically really good and a solid passer, however he looked lightweight and perhaps not quite ready for a big club. At the very least, he should definitely be a player we should be scouting.

Mcking

I read an article a few days back that stated that a lot of French fans rate Maxime Lopez as the best young French talent (over Mbappe, Martial and Dembele). This naturally peaked my interest and I looked more into him and watched a few videos of him and noticed that he plays somewhat similarly in style to Iniesta. He's quick, technically really good and a solid passer, however he looked lightweight and perhaps not quite ready for a big club. At the very least, he should definitely be a player we should be scouting.
He's promising, talented and technically good. But he's 18 and 5ft5, doubt Jose(we) are going to go for him. His stats aren't that great too - ?1goal and 1assist this season is quite mild for an attacking mid.

United Pro

He's promising, talented and technically good. But he's 18 and 5ft5, doubt Jose(we) are going to go for him. His stats aren't that great too - ?1goal and 1assist this season is quite mild for an attacking mid.
I've seen very little of him, but I think he's played in a variety of positions this season (from CDM, CM and CAM). He's also 20, but I agree that there's very little chance Mourinho will move for him given his lack of physical presence.

Mcking

I've seen very little of him, but I think he's played in a variety of positions this season (from CDM, CM and CAM). He's also 20, but I agree that there's very little chance Mourinho will move for him given his lack of physical presence.
Yea I missed that, he's 20.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Andreas can possibly do that role, but there isn’t necessarily much evidence that this type of midfielder is of any importance to Mourinho anyway. No links to any of that type, and little to suggest we’re looking for one.

davidmichael

Surely if we’re going to sign Savic we’d have to move to a 4-3-3 as Pogba/Savic as a two man midfield doesn’t work from what I’ve seen of Savic’s game ? I can’t see Savic coming to us to sit on the bench either.

beingshe7don

Surely if we’re going to sign Savic we’d have to move to a 4-3-3 as Pogba/Savic as a two man midfield doesn’t work from what I’ve seen of Savic’s game ? I can’t see Savic coming to us to sit on the bench either.
If Mourinho has sent scouts twice to see him, we seem to be interested for sure. We could very well go back to 4-3-3 or move to play 3-5-2 in which Pogba and Savic would have cover behind them of the three CBs. We would have to get really good wing backs to adopt that approach though. Either way, Savic is too good an option to pass up on. If we get Savic, we could probably move Pogba in the No. 10 role where we currently lack at the moment.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you get Sergej he'd be more likely to play the #10 role than Pogba since he's better suited to it, and worse than Pogba in the deeper role. Easiest solution would be signing a #10 a-la Ozil and have both play box-to-box, with Pogba in a more controlled, deeper creative role and Sergej as the "third" striker

Bulldogg

Lets not forget SMS is more then capable of playing in an advanced position either being a number 10 in the 4-2-3-1 or even as a left winger, If played on the left wing he likes to cut in and also drop into the midfield, its a nice option to have especially against teams who always try to out number you in midfield eg. Man City, having him drop in to the middle would help as win more midfield battles. He'd also be more of an aerial threat in an advanced role, If he played on the left we'd need to provide decent enough crosses from the right and he'd always be a threat at the far post. Obviously he wouldn't be as direct as Martial and Rashford as a left winger so it all depends on the strategy we would implement from game to game nonetheless he would be a great asset as he's a versatile player.

So all in all he can play as CM, CAM, LAM/LW.

In my opinion he best suited to playing as a free roaming CM, mainly looking to attack and create but at the same time helping in defence by intercepting, tackling and just using his shear physical presence. Iv'e seen him play in the other positions i mentioned and he was more than capable, so if we sign him there's a number of positions he could potentially cover if players are injured etc.

jem

Why not? There are no guarantees (see Silva, Bernardo.)

Mcking

Why not? There are no guarantees (see Silva, Bernardo.)
We could use him as some sort of rotation player and the first sub for the 3midfield positions. He'd be back up for Pogba, Ozil and Matic, whilst replacing Ozil when we play 433 and being the first choice in every cup game. He would get plenty of games nonetheless.

Will Absolute

We could use him as some sort of rotation player and the first sub for the 3midfield positions. He'd be back up for Pogba, Ozil and Matic, whilst replacing Ozil when we play 433 and being the first choice in every cup game. He would get plenty of games nonetheless.
What top player could refuse an offer like that?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Could work in Fifa, but in reality there’s a lot more reasoning behind why players are chosen for each game, not just because they need games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His comments about Mourinho and Ibrahimovic are surely a come and get me plea?

Mcking

Could work in Fifa, but in reality there’s a lot more reasoning behind why players are chosen for each game, not just because they need games.
Of course I'm aware. You can't expect to walk into a top side's team unless you are a very very top player. If he could cement his place ahead of Ozil - assuming we sign both - then I won't have any problem with him starting regularly and us playing a 433 as the first choice formation.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He does have a similar style to Pogba. If we sign him, we should copy the Madrid's midfield trio, and get a "Casemiro" type also.

United Pro

He does have a similar style to Pogba. If we sign him, we should copy the Madrid's midfield trio, and get a "Casemiro" type also.
After we get the Casemiro type signing, we'd only be lacking the Kroos and Modric type signings to complete that midfield.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Pogba - Savic as a pairing would be similar to Gerrard/Lampard imo. Wouldn't work.

With Matic behind them they'd be fine though.
I agree with this, too similar IMO, would prefer a little bit more quickness and agility to pair with Pogba and Matic.
For a 22 year old he has the pace of a 30 year old. He'd be like Berba but in MF. No thanks.
With Pogba and Matic we need someone quicker and better at breaking down defenses and getting out of tight spots from teams like Man City that constantly press.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
After we get the Casemiro type signing, we'd only be lacking the Kroos and Modric type signings to complete that midfield.
Kroos and Modric are not "powerful and quick" CM. Neither so the City's. I don't know why people think Pogba and Savic would be "too slow".

United Pro

Kroos and Modric are not "powerful and quick" CM. Neither so the City's. I don't know why people think Pogba and Savic would be "too slow".
Kroos and Modric are most definitely not known for their power and speed, but more for their technical and passing ability. So a midfield of a "Casemiro type signing", Pogba and SMS would be lacking technically imo. Hence why I said we would still need a Kroos and Modric type signings as well to replicate Madrid's midfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Kroos and Modric are most definitely not known for their power and speed, but more for their technical and passing ability. So a midfield of a "Casemiro type signing", Pogba and SMS would be lacking technically imo. Hence why I said we would still need a Kroos and Modric type signings as well to replicate Madrid's midfield.
You think Pogba can't be compared to Kroos or Modric technically?

United Pro

You think Pogba can't be compared to Kroos or Modric technically?
Pogba is very good, but not in the same level. He can't control the tempo of a game the same way the other 2 can. What Pogba does have is superior physical attributes that allow him to dribble past opposition players. These are similar attributes SMS has and my worry is that a midfield of Pogba and SMS would be lacking in being to control the game and against teams like City and Barca, we'd struggle to consistently string 4/5 passes together.