Sergej Milinkovic Savic

United Pro

watch psg sign him and he turns out great,and our everly knowledgeable caftards moan why we didn't spend what's required to get him.
Even though they are moaning mourinho cnt spot a talent or is clueless and doesn't know how to make our team work..
You're overreacting a little. There's very few on here actually questioning SMS's ability, but some on here are questioning whether he is the type of midfielder we need, given that his play style is similar to Pogba's. Also, SMS will cost about £90m to buy in the summer (which will be the majority of our summer funds). However, if we managed to get Goretzka who's available for nothing, it'll free up money to spend on other positions that are arguably more in need of reinforcement.
On the topic of PSG getting SMS, I don't see how they have the money available to get him. Especially given that they'll spend near 200m euros for Mbappe and will need to sell before that transfer alone goes through to pass FFP. If they do sign him, I wonder if Verrati will leave. He's the player we should really be breaking the bank to get.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Why does it matter if Pogba was already on our own books? We had the money to bring him back and we did, unlike some clubs we don't need to rely on 'shrewd business' when we have the money and stature to attract pretty much any player. But it's funny that Juve fans really can't get over the fact he left them for a team they perceived as below them...
You're overreacting a little. There's very few on here actually questioning SMS's ability, but some on here are questioning whether he is the type of midfielder we need, given that his play style is similar to Pogba's. Also, SMS will cost about £90m to buy in the summer (which will be the majority of our summer funds). However, if we managed to get Goretzka (---- aka keep Pogba, @Bepi note ----) who's available for nothing, it'll free up money to spend on other positions that are arguably more in need of reinforcement.
On the topic of PSG getting SMS, I don't see how they have the money available to get him. Especially given that they'll spend near 200m euros for Mbappe and will need to sell before that transfer alone goes through to pass FFP. If they do sign him, I wonder if Verrati will leave. He's the player we should really be breaking the bank to get.
legit question and brilliant answer also solving my latest 5 posts in this thread, thanks ;)

Jaybomb

I’m always sceptical about these hyped up “unknowns” who come out of nowhere and have a great season and are linked with every team in the universe.

It wasn’t long ago when everyone was raving on about Krychowiak and Renato Sanches and now look where they are.

Nedved

I’m always sceptical about these hyped up “unknowns” who come out of nowhere and have a great season and are linked with every team in the universe.

It wasn’t long ago when everyone was raving on about Krychowiak and Renato Sanches and now look where they are.
Hyped up unknown? Sergej was born 1995 and has been a starter for two years at a CL/EL-team in Serie A. It’s like calling Dele Alli an unknown.

Axkiko

Sergej is a real deal. He reminds me of the shadow of Pogba in Juventus. Fantastic player and all round midfielder. I have no doubt of his quality and his physicality suits Premier league as well. The main concern of buying Sergej would be 2 man midfield partnership with Pogba against smaller team. They are kind of similar. Against big teams would be Pogba, Sergej and Matic, that's monster trio.

Reactions: Sultan

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
If going by one poster and equating that to how the club is run, I would say Juventus would have been a closed shop years ago going by the idiots on juventuz forum. you think what someone said on redcafe has anything to do with how the club is run by Woodward and co?
Thanks for saving me the time, I was just going to write a very similar response.

He just seems bitter IMO.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
you keep missing the point :D pogs was yours own, he left on a free and you bought him back for a record fee, call it a shrewd piece of business :) as for Savic, there was a poster here last year stating seriously that conte should have accepted an assistant coach role at united to learn the trade from jose before trying the premier league on his own, :wenger: no wonder you lot are finding difficult adapting to the present time and keep working as a '90s club ;)
Walk it off. You’ve been awfully precious in this thread.

Devil may care

You're overreacting a little. There's very few on here actually questioning SMS's ability, but some on here are questioning whether he is the type of midfielder we need, given that his play style is similar to Pogba's.
This is spot on, there's the odd "Youtube clips look crap, don't want" posts but for the most part any of the posters that have watched him aknowledge he's a real talent, it's just whether he fits into what we currently have, you can't just ram in all the players that look good and hope it works, there's a balance to strike.

iamherenow

You're overreacting a little. There's very few on here actually questioning SMS's ability, but some on here are questioning whether he is the type of midfielder we need, given that his play style is similar to Pogba's. Also, SMS will cost about £90m to buy in the summer (which will be the majority of our summer funds). However, if we managed to get Goretzka who's available for nothing, it'll free up money to spend on other positions that are arguably more in need of reinforcement.
fair enough,if we can get groetzka and ozil on a free..there should be enough money to address other issues in the squad..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
SMS has been well known ever since he won the u-20 world cup a few year back. He was a key player for Serbia in the tournament.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
WOW! The Corriere dello Sport announced an offer of 170 million euros from PSG for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, with Jorge Mendes the architect of this incredible operation...
170m :lol:

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
He's probably the most dominant player I've seen this year in europe. I highly doubt that he will join Man United.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's probably the most dominant player I've seen this year in europe. I highly doubt that he will join Man United.
If we can attract Pogba we can attract Savic. Stop being a drama queen.

Andersons Dietician

This is now my 3rd time watching him and 25 minutes in I don’t think he has touched the ball more than 5 times. Wasn’t impressed in the last 2 games I saw and so far he is doing nothing to demonstrate all the fuss about him on here. Even his YouTube highlight videos are really underwhelming.

Now I’m sure to have this much attention he has obviously played better than what I’ve seen but right now it would Be a no thanks from me with a I’d rather Goretzka all day.

Think I did see a stat where he has scored the most goals from outside the area in Europe and well goals from outside the box are often cannon fodder for muppet season. Will keep watching and see if he can change my mind.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This is now my 3rd time watching him and 25 minutes in I don’t think he has touched the ball more than 5 times. Wasn’t impressed in the last 2 games I saw and so far he is doing nothing to demonstrate all the fuss about him on here. Even his YouTube highlight videos are really underwhelming.

Now I’m sure to have this much attention he has obviously played better than what I’ve seen but right now it would Be a no thanks from me with a I’d rather Goretzka all day.

Think I did see a stat where he has scored the most goals from outside the area in Europe and well goals from outside the box are often cannon fodder for muppet season. Will keep watching and see if he can change my mind.
I’m puzzler by the hype too. In my opinion he seems like a very talented player with great potential. But at 22 he is, as you would expect, still a bit inconsistent. Not many midfielders dominate games at that level consistently at 22.

Sometimes when you read posts and valuations in here or in the media you would expect him to be the finished article.

Red_toad

For a 22 year old he has the pace of a 30 year old. He'd be like Berba but in MF. No thanks.
Does that actually make sense to you? How can anyone have the pace of a 30 year old?

He's a midfielder they don't need to be rapid, I can't honestly think of any midfielders who's be winning 60 metre races. Yes if he were a defender, striker or winger then it could matter.

Andersons Dietician

I’m puzzler by the hype too. In my opinion he seems like a very talented player with great potential. But at 22 he is, as you would expect, still a bit inconsistent. Not many midfielders dominate games at that level consistently at 22.

Sometimes when you read posts and valuations in here or in the media you would expect him to be the finished article.
Yeah in this game he doesn’t really seem to want the ball either and actually looks very lazy, his passing has been a lot of sideways safe passing, although in the last game I watched he did try a pass that if he pulled it off it would have been great.So far I have to say I haven’t seen anything remotely close to any sort of indications of him having potential either but like I said this is only the 3rd game I’ve seen. What I have noticed is he loses the ball a lot. He’s failed trying to take on a few people today. Also anyone else think he runs weirdly and as I write this he has just been subbed off at 65mins.

Roms little brother Jordan has looked not bad playing as LWB and he has even scored a goal. Everything seems to come from him

United Pro

Does that actually make sense to you? How can anyone have the pace of a 30 year old?

He's a midfielder they don't need to be rapid, I can't honestly think of any midfielders who's be winning 60 metre races. Yes if he were a defender, striker or winger then it could matter.
I don't entirely agree with the point that a midfielder doesn't need to be rapid and that pace matters more for defenders, striker and wingers. Having pace, regardless of position is useful. Also, it's not as simple as pace not mattering as it depends on the type of midfielder. Pace wasn't much of a factor for technically gifted midfielders like: Scholes, Xavi and Pirlo, but if say Kante and Pogba were slow, then they would be considerably worse players.

Btw I'm not arguing that SMS is slow or anything, but just against your generic comment about midfielders not needing pace.

Red_toad

I don't entirely agree with the point that a midfielder doesn't need to be rapid and that pace matters more for defenders, striker and wingers. Having pace, regardless of position is useful. Also, it's not as simple as pace not mattering as it depends on the type of midfielder. Pace wasn't much of a factor for technically gifted midfielders like: Scholes, Xavi and Pirlo, but if say Kante and Pogba were slow, then they would be considerably worse players.

Btw I'm not arguing that SMS is slow or anything, but just against your generic comment about midfielders not needing pace.
They don't need to be rapid, it's a fact, otherwise Scholes, Pirlo, Xavi etc etc all wouldn't have made it in the game. As I was replying to someone who was writing him off as he has the pace of a 30 year old, maybe you need to take things on context. Maybe you could point out to the OP that some of the fastest people in the world are in their 30's or late 20's. Or just stop nitpicking, either is good.

United Pro

They don't need to be rapid, it's a fact, otherwise Scholes, Pirlo, Xavi etc etc all wouldn't have made it in the game. As I was replying to someone who was writing him off as he has the pace of a 30 year old, maybe you need to take things on context. Maybe you could point out to the OP that some of the fastest people in the world are in their 30's or late 20's. Or just stop nitpicking, either is good.
I didn't reply about the OP's comment about SMS running like a 30 year old, as I agreed with your point, so I saw no reason to comment on it. But like I said initially, I was only responding to your original point "He's a midfielder they don't need to be rapid" and stating that's too generic and not always true. In SMS's case, he plays as a box to box midfielder or a CAM and hence pace is very important to his game. At the least, he's not a deep lying play maker like the 3 players I listed in my previous comment and he's more of a dynamic player that relies on his pace and less on technical ability.

Red_toad

I didn't reply about the OP's comment about SMS running like a 30 year old, as I agreed with your point, so I saw no reason to comment on it. But like I said initially, I was only responding to your original point "He's a midfielder they don't need to be rapid" and stating that's too generic and not always true. In SMS's case, he plays as a box to box midfielder or a CAM and hence pace is very important to his game. At the least, he's not a deep lying play maker like the 3 players I listed in my previous comment and he's more of a dynamic player that relies on his pace and less on technical ability.
Had the pace of, not running like.

Midfielders can all be fast or slow and there is zero prerequisite to say they need pace to be a good player. I think you're taking things off on a weird tangent, so will end it here.

Andersons Dietician

Had the pace of, not running like.

Midfielders can all be fast or slow and there is zero prerequisite to say they need pace to be a good player. I think you're taking things off on a weird tangent, so will end it here.
I mean Daley Blind would be twice the player he is with a bit of pace. Have you watched SMS a lot?

Red_toad

I mean Daley Blind would be twice the player he is with a bit of pace. Have you watched SMS a lot?
Yes bits and pieces, he's very mobile, doesn't possess anything like rapid pace. His physical strength gives him an edge when carrying the ball around the pitch, he can and does dribble past players.
Blind is slower than him to be sure.

Andersons Dietician

Yes bits and pieces, he's very mobile, doesn't possess anything like rapid pace. His physical strength gives him an edge when carrying the ball around the pitch, he can and does dribble past players.
Blind is slower than him to be sure.
It’s Just I’ve made a point to watch his last 3 games and as of yet I haven’t been impressed at all, was just wondering if his form has dropped off or something recently. Was subbed off today after 65 mins and really can’t blame the manager for that as he wasn’t very good. Looked really lazy.

Was just wanting to see some others impressions of recent form. Today he got bullied a few times off the ball and failed with his take ons.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
He is not worth the money if PSG gets in the race.

Bulldogg

It’s Just I’ve made a point to watch his last 3 games and as of yet I haven’t been impressed at all, was just wondering if his form has dropped off or something recently. Was subbed off today after 65 mins and really can’t blame the manager for that as he wasn’t very good. Looked really lazy.

Was just wanting to see some others impressions of recent form. Today he got bullied a few times off the ball and failed with his take ons.
Did you watch his last 3 games or was this your 3rd time watching him play ? I thought he was pretty good against Atlanta only one game ago.

Players do have up and down periods through out a season though, so you can sometimes catch them at the wrong time and believe they are nothing special.
I've watched most of his games this season and i have to say he's been very good this season. For example Pogba's last two games have been poor nobody's going to dispute that he's a great player though.

One observation you have made about SMS is his 'lazyness' that's a real thing, that's why anyone who's truly watched him play knows he not a DM. I see a lot of people say he can play DM but the truth is he's never played DM he's simply an attacking minded CM/CAM.

Andersons Dietician

Did you watch his last 3 games or was this your 3rd time watching him play ? I thought he was pretty good against Atlanta only one game ago.

Players do have up and down periods through out a season though, so you can sometimes catch them at the wrong time and believe they are nothing special.
I've watched most of his games this season and i have to say he's been very good this season. For example Pogba's last two games have been poor nobody's going to dispute that he's a great player though.

One observation you have made about SMS is his 'lazyness' that's a real thing, that's why anyone who's truly watched him play knows he not a DM. I see a lot of people say he can play DM but the truth is he's never played DM he's simply an attacking minded CM/CAM.
I must have missed the Atlanta game as Torino,Citta and Coretta(who they played yesterday) were the games I watched.
I’ll maybe try and catch a few more games, as maybe I have just caught him in a bit of a slump as I doubt he’d have this much hype if there wasn’t at least something.

Is he quite creative?

Bulldogg

I must have missed the Atlanta game as Torino,Citta and Coretta(who they played yesterday) were the games I watched.
I’ll maybe try and catch a few more games, as maybe I have just caught him in a bit of a slump as I doubt he’d have this much hype if there wasn’t at least something.

Is he quite creative?
He's creative by just being a very clever type of player and i'd say that's his best attribute, he is Berbatov esque in terms of the lob passes the flick on's the roll overs etc, he's not 'fast' yet he's able to dribble, run at and go past players by just doing the most subtle things, for example he's a big strong lad so he simply just leans to one direction gets contact from the defender which puts the defender off balance while at the same time he uses the contact to gather momentum in the direction he wants to go in and all of a sudden he's got a couple yards on the defender. He's great at bringing the ball down with his chest and in one move shield the ball turn the defender and either send a diagonal long ball to the winger or make a run at the CB's and feed a through ball to his striker, he's the type of player that will try the lob pass over the top with back spin to create a one on one for his striker or the through ball with the outside of his foot the curls around the defender, these moves all go back to his best attribute and thats being a clever footballer. He's a goal scorer, really good finisher for a midfielder can score with his head, can score from outside the box and he can take a free kick.

He's not the creative type that's going to dictate the pace of the game and create chances by prolonged build up play to unsettle defences he's more of a dynamic type of creator that will try things and if they come off they come off.

He's been able to put enough performances together where he's showcased these skills and that's why the 100million price tag has been put next to his name, now is he worth 100million? who knows, nobody understands the transfer market anymore.

Andersons Dietician

He's creative by just being a very clever type of player and i'd say that's his best attribute, he is Berbatov esque in terms of the lob passes the flick on's the roll overs etc, he's not 'fast' yet he's able to dribble, run at and go past players by just doing the most subtle things, for example he's a big strong lad so he simply just leans to one direction gets contact from the defender which puts the defender off balance while at the same time he uses the contact to gather momentum in the direction he wants to go in and all of a sudden he's got a couple yards on the defender. He's great at bringing the ball down with his chest and in one move shield the ball turn the defender and either send a diagonal long ball to the winger or make a run at the CB's and feed a through ball to his striker, he's the type of player that will try the lob pass over the top with back spin to create a one on one for his striker or the through ball with the outside of his foot the curls around the defender, these moves all go back to his best attribute and thats being a clever footballer. He's a goal scorer, really good finisher for a midfielder can score with his head, can score from outside the box and he can take a free kick.

He's not the creative type that's going to dictate the pace of the game and create chances by prolonged build up play to unsettle defences he's more of a dynamic type of creator that will try things and if they come off they come off.

He's been able to put enough performances together where he's showcased these skills and that's why the 100million price tag has been put next to his name, now is he worth 100million? who knows, nobody understands the transfer market anymore.
See yesterday when I was watching for some reason Berba popped in my head more for the languid style of play. Didn’t really showcase any of those other abilities but i’ll try and catch some other games.

Sounds in a way quite similar to Pogba and I’m not sure if that’s really a good thing. Suppose it depends on how and where Jose would play him but if the fee touted is near enough you don’t spend a 100mil on a guy and not play him. So is it 352 or 4231 with him behind a striker or does Jose think he can make it work in a 433.

Bulldogg

See yesterday when I was watching for some reason Berba popped in my head more for the languid style of play. Didn’t really showcase any of those other abilities but i’ll try and catch some other games.

Sounds in a way quite similar to Pogba and I’m not sure if that’s really a good thing. Suppose it depends on how and where Jose would play him but if the fee touted is near enough you don’t spend a 100mil on a guy and not play him. So is it 352 or 4231 with him behind a striker or does Jose think he can make it work in a 433.
He's only 22yo though so its very rare guys at that age can put in peak performances week in week out, its more about showcasing what their capable of and then noticing a steady progression in how consistently they can play at the peak level. eg. De Bruyne, Salah, Erickson, Coutinho, Modric etc showed they were top talents but all became world class players i'd say after 24yo.

He's got a bit of a laziness tendency about his play more so defensively speaking, I think you can get away with it in Serie A and La liga not sure about the current EPL though. He's not bad defensively though, one on one he's is a good tackler. His primary focus is to try to create when he has the ball the problem with that is if the team doesn't have the right type of player to cover for him you can become vulnerable the other way as he's not the type of player that's gonna make constant sprints to close space and cover the back 4 when possession is lost, for example a midfield 2 of SMS and Pogba looks sexy but in reality its probably suicide as there would be almost no cover for the back 4 in large parts of games. Now a midfield 3 with Matic sitting behind SMS and Pogba could potentially work but then the argument of having two similar dynamic attacking minded CM's playing next to each other is over kill and your better of going with a more balanced midfield 3, a DM(Matic) a possession type tempo controlling CM (Modric) and a dynamic attacking CM (Pogba).

SMS has pedigree though he's won the U19 euro's with Serbia then won the U20 world cup with Serbia beating Brazil in the final and now has become the main man at Lazio and is making a name for him self in Serie A, so you'd expect him to continue his progression as he's 22yo. Is he the right fit for us since we allready have Pogba? is he worth the inflated some that he will eventually be sold for ? it's all a big question mark for me. I honestly don't know how we should approach the next transfer markets are we better of spending big on someone to occupy the right attacking side instead?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wouldn't say lazyness. More like softness. He's a bit like Dzeko, or even Lukaku, seems to lack that killed edge

Bulldogg

Wouldn't say lazyness. More like softness. He's a bit like Dzeko, or even Lukaku, seems to lack that killed edge
He tends to walk around with his hands on hips or even just barely jog back to midfield after an attacking run at times, that's where the laziness comment comes from but like a said it's more so on the defensive side of the game. Inzaghi has given SMS the licence to attack and try things, Parolo and Lucas cover so it's not a priority for SMS to get back in defence when there's two midfielders already prepared to get back and cover, Lucas has been a very good signing for Lazio for that very reason.

Dzeko and Lukaku don't use there physical size to there advantage often, SMS uses his size to shield, bump, push of players all the time i'd say that's one of his best strengths. Not really sure what you mean by soft ? could you give a better example ?

SMS is defiantly more of a natural footballer though, he's not like a Bakayoko who more so a physical beast type of player.