Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Trizy

Have to agree with that.
From what I've seen of Savic, he does look to fill a very similar role to Pogba, and doesn't seem to have any more defensive nous about him either.
Pogba-Matic-Savic in a 3 just doesn't feel to have the right blend or balance to me, and what's more, you won't get a lot of change from £100M.

Just imagine which FBs you could sign with £100M as your budget..
2 class full backs will completely transform out attack. Surely Sandro and Meunier could easily be got for 50m each.

Alabaster Codify7

He's obviously very good but I dont see the point. Spend the £90m on two new FB's, then buy two cheaper, more fitting midfielders. Sorted.

Champagne Football

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...united-sergej-milinkovic-savic-jose-mourinho/

JOSE MOURINHO has agreed a stunning £80million summer deal for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

The Manchester United boss is set to make the Lazio midfielder his first mega-signing after a breakthrough in talks last week.

United were reluctant to meet the asking price for the Serbia international but have accepted they must pay top dollar to land him now.

Sergej, 23, is poised to become the second most expensive transfer into the Premier League after Paul Pogba’s £89million arrival from Juventus two years ago.

But targeting a world-class central midfielder has been seen as a priority for Mourinho as Michael Carrick is retiring and Marouane Fellaini has not agreed a new contract at Old Trafford.

Sergej is seen as the perfect to team up with countryman Nemanja Matic in Mourinho’s engine room next season as he plots a way to take on Manchester City.

Canagel

80 million is a lot. We need two midfielders not one so spending that much on just one doesn't make sense.

Canagel

I seriously doubt we are buying 2 midfielders.
I think we should. Carrick and Fellaini to make way. Sergej if arrives takes Fellaini's spot but we need a replacement for Carrick. To take Matic's position. We are still lacking in midfield quality.

Reynoldo

This one just seems worryingly to be following the same pattern of buying players we dont really need for positions we are already sorted in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This one just seems worryingly to be following the same pattern of buying players we dont really need for positions we are already sorted in.
true. maybe mou is planning to copy pep. They have fernardinho-silva-de bruyne in cm.

Reynoldo

true. maybe mou is planning to copy pep. They have fernardinho-silva-de bruyne in cm.
I hope there is a plan like that or just even some plan as its been hard to see one lately with our signings. He seems too similar to Pogba though and I just cant see how it brings more balance to the team, I hope I'm wrong.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think we should. Carrick and Fellaini to make way. Sergej if arrives takes Fellaini's spot but we need a replacement for Carrick. To take Matic's position. We are still lacking in midfield quality.
Buying one will be sufficient, especially as it looks like Fellaini May stay. As for creativity, just bought Pogba back. We needs a fullback and a goal scorer who can take the load off of Lukaku.

Last edited:

devilish

I hope there is a plan like that or just even some plan as its been hard to see one lately with our signings. He seems too similar to Pogba though and I just cant see how it brings more balance to the team, I hope I'm wrong.
he is more disciplined and slightly more hardworking then pogba. However he is used to having two hardworking midfielders at his back, he does well at the left side of cm and his passing is a bit erratic. Basically he is the serbian answer to our pogs

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We're still not sorted in midfield. Matic is one of the reasons we are ponderous in attack. And having Fellaini as backup? Please, just no!

But it's really frustrating why we always have to shell out £80m on players when other clubs can get gems for half that price.

Reynoldo

he is more disciplined and slightly more hardworking then pogba. However he is used to having two hardworking midfielders at his back, he does well at the left side of cm and his passing is a bit erratic. Basically he is the serbian answer to our pogs
Ya thats my take on him too from the matches I've seen him play. Begs the question though as to why we just don't get our own proper two hard working midfields behind our own version and build from there, this would seem like the more sensible thing to do but as I say I hope I'm wrong.

devilish

Ya thats my take on him too from the matches I've seen him play. Begs the question though as to why we just don't get our own proper two hard working midfields behind our own version and build from there, this would seem like the more sensible thing to do but as I say I hope I'm wrong.
i fully agree. pogba and MS are primadonnas ie you need to build the team around them. I struggle to understand how they can work together without tweaking their game substantially

Un4givableB

But it's really frustrating why we always have to shell out £80m on players when other clubs can get gems for half that price.
You don't get 'gems' at half the that price,you take punts at half the price.And if those players fail or are just okay,it's hard move them without taking a loss.

SpyLuke10

We need more quality in midfield, not quantity.

Pogba, SMS, Herrera, Matic, Fellaini and McTominay sounds like a solid group.

Devil may care

We saw against lowly Brighton that we lack dynamism in midfield and we lack a brainy passer that can conduct play, SMS is neither of these things, his passing is erratic and while he's "agile for his size", he's not agile or quick enough across the ground when you're pairing him with Matic and Pogba, we'd have the slowest, least mobile midfield in the top 6.

Fer

We saw against lowly Brighton that we lack dynamism in midfield and we lack a brainy passer that can conduct play, SMS is neither of these things, his passing is erratic and while he's "agile for his size", he's not agile or quick enough across the ground when you're pairing him with Matic and Pogba, we'd have the slowest, least mobile midfield in the top 6.
Exactly my point. I think a player like Fred, Seri, Kovacic, Keita would balance our midfield.

But it seems that SMS is the kind of player Mourinho wants. Maybe in a 4222 with Matic next to a player like Jorginho/Never could work... or versus small teams.

Frank Grimes

It makes sense if Pogba is leaving that this is a signing that Mourinho wants. Otherwise I can't see why we would be interested when we basically have a better(or at least more ready made) version already in Pogba.

Judas

Open to offers
It makes sense if Pogba is leaving that this is a signing that Mourinho wants. Otherwise I can't see why we would be interested when we basically have a better(or at least more ready made) version already in Pogba.
Pogba doesn't deserve to start every game when he's so fecking half arsed. Maybe a signing like this would wake him up.

Frank Grimes

Pogba doesn't deserve to start every game when he's so fecking half arsed. Maybe a signing like this would wake him up.
I agree, I don't care who plays tbh as long as they are up to the task of being a United player. I never was one for idolising individuals, it's about the team. Having said that, we are in dire need of a leader.

Fergie 7ime

Yep, everyone knows we’re fecking loaded and the United tax is real. But it’s a really nice position to be in surely.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We're still not sorted in midfield. Matic is one of the reasons we are ponderous in attack. And having Fellaini as backup? Please, just no!

Shelling out 80m here and there wouldn't be an issue if we actually won trophies as a result of said transfers. Its the latter that is the problem as I don't see anyone complaining about splashing 80m on SMS or 100m on Griezmann if we just hoisted the league trophy last week.

Ekeke

Looks a talented player who would add goals but not one who looks like an easy fit into the side. I can't see how it would work with both him and Pogba unless we go to a diamond and they play right and left midfield, with Matic sitting deep unlike this season and just taking care of filling the holes.

kbbear

I agree this signing can only point to Pogba leaving. SMS's (passing according to Whoscored) isn't the best and if he's a Pogo MkII then I can only see the Pogba situation occurring again.

hanovercigars

Having Pogba MK2 is not a bad thing at all. Pogba needs a kick up the backside. This would be a reminder to him that if does not perform to standard he can and will be replaced.

Zoo

Hopefully he’s replacing Fellaini in the squad.

With Carrick done we’d still need one more.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Buying one will be sufficient, especially as it looks like Fellaini May stay. As for creativity, just bought Pogba back. We needs a fullback and a goal scorer who can take the load off of Lukaku.
Losing one player and replacing him with one player does not improve the squad at all. Nor strengthen its numbers. That's why Mourinho insist he wants to replace Carrick with two players.

As for a goal scorer taking the load of Lukaku. Alexis will do just that after a summer of rest. Our biggest concerns should be our fullback areas and our center midfield creative passers.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Losing one player and replacing him with one player does not improve the squad at all. Nor strengthen its numbers. That's why Mourinho insist he wants to replace Carrick with two players.

As for a goal scorer taking the load of Lukaku. Alexis will do just that after a summer of rest. Our biggest concerns should be our fullback areas and our center midfield creative passers.
Mourinho do not insist he wants two, does he? He said he wanted a replacement for Carrick and one more if Fellaini left. How much has Carrick featured? Why would we need to teplace him with two? Mourinho hardly rotates either.

Ekeke

Why do people think we can't have multiple quality players for the same or similar position when other top teams do? What am I missing?
Which teams have 2x £80 million players who play the same role and would be hard to fit in the same team without leaving themselves vulnerable?