Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

I would hope so. He'd be a great fit here. Total workhorse with pace who can fecking ping a cross.
This is the type of transfer we should be looking at. Especially when dealing with a club in (I suppose) financial trouble.

liamp

This is the type of transfer we should be looking at. Especially when dealing with a club in (I suppose) financial trouble.
To be honest, I'm surprised Leicester didn't target him to replace Chilwell. He fits in more with their type of transfer rather than ours.

Mark Pawelek

Chelsea signing Havertz from Leverkusen, means
Leverkusen can sign Schick from Roma, which allows
Roma to sign Smalling from MUFC, which allows
MUFC to sign Reguilón from Madrid.
It's all connected, money makes the world go 'round.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It doesn’t show that at all. The most sensible supposition is that he recognises a lack of depth at LB, with Williams likely to be understudy to AWB and Reguilon understudy to Shaw.
Shaw is only 25, while AWB is even younger. Understudy is not an app term. Backup? 30m is an expensive backup, imho. I think it's more likely a replacement.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shaw sold if you get this guy? Maybe moved into a back three?

You don't want a backup left back on £195k a week surely.
We're not in for this chap, we've got Shaw and Williams already. Just Real using our name to drum up interest in him

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I read a good article on The Athletic that basically showed Shaw as being the better defensive player of the two but Reguilon offering more offensively. As a Chelsea fan will know, squad depth is absolutely key these days and having options at left full back would enable us to have a horses for courses approach. The unknown for me is what happens with Williams in such a scenario, especially since he is highly rated, and my assumption is that he goes to providing back up and competition for AWB.

RUCK4444

Could happen, but he’d have to be pretty underwhelming to get stuck behind Shaw.
Not really, we seen how much we miss Shaw linking with Rashford as soon as the former was injured last season.

Shaw is much better than many give him credit for, he overlaps and gets forward, links well and brings the best out of Rashford whilst still being good defensively.

I haven’t seen enough of Reguilon but what I saw when we played them was a tired United side carve chance after chance against that Sevilla defence. Just seems to me we are getting excited over a player that probably won’t play over Shaw. Maybe Ole will prove me wrong.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Luke Shaw has only started 20+ PL matches twice in the six seasons he has been here.

El Zoido

Shaw will keep his place and be rotated heavily. I wouldn't exactly call him injury prone (as in, repeated injuries), but his recovery time is so slow whenever he's out. Accumulated fatigue could play a large part of it, but we definitely shouldn't risk relying on him when he could be a rolled ankle away from a three month absence. We really struggled without him at the end of the season.

dutchred

Shaw will keep his place and be rotated heavily. I wouldn't exactly call him injury prone (as in, repeated injuries), but his recovery time is so slow whenever he's out. Accumulated fatigue could play a large part of it, but we definitely shouldn't risk relying on him when he could be a rolled ankle away from a three month absence. We really struggled without him at the end of the season.
I would take a chance on Sessegnon. I think there is still a good attacking full back in him. Mourinho does not want him. We could go for a loan with an option to buy

RUCK4444

Agree, as per my last post here. I think this is why we are interested, rotation and cover for Shaw.

I’m not sure, with the other possible suitors, that he would settle for that role. We’ll see.

If I were him I’d look at Shaw ahead of me and think that you will struggle to nail down the starting LB spot. And I think he would struggle to.

MrBrightside1989

I would take a chance on Sessegnon. I think there is still a good attacking full back in him. Mourinho does not want him. We could go for a loan with an option to buy
I had forgotten he even exists. Would be an interesting shout and perhaps Ole would get the best out of him. Get him signed!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's never even shown he can play fullback, and doesn't look good enough to play as an attacker either.

He was good as a youngster due to his physical abilities but he hasn't developed.

EwanI Ted

Not really, we seen how much we miss Shaw linking with Rashford as soon as the former was injured last season.

Shaw is much better than many give him credit for, he overlaps and gets forward, links well and brings the best out of Rashford whilst still being good defensively.

I haven’t seen enough of Reguilon but what I saw when we played them was a tired United side carve chance after chance against that Sevilla defence. Just seems to me we are getting excited over a player that probably won’t play over Shaw. Maybe Ole will prove me wrong.
We missed Shaw certainly, but that was because we only had 19 year old with no experience replacing him. Shaw tries to get forward, but I looked at his stats the other day and they’re frankly woeful. 7 assists and 1 goal in 8 seasons in the league. Even midtable full backs like Seamus Coleman, Erik Pieters and Patrick Van Aanholt have better stats, despite playing for worse teams. Players like Azpilicuetta and Bellerin are miles ahead, never mind Liverpool and City’s full backs.

I feel like we’ve had Shaw for so long that we’ve forgotten what its like to actually have a real attacking full back and we’ve got used to his very limited attacking contribution. Not saying Reguilon is the answer, but whoever comes in isn’t trying to overcome a high performer.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We missed Shaw certainly, but that was because we only had 19 year old with no experience replacing him. Shaw tries to get forward, but I looked at his stats the other day and they’re frankly woeful. 7 assists and 1 goal in 8 seasons in the league. Even midtable full backs like Seamus Coleman, Erik Pieters and Patrick Van Aanholt have better stats, despite playing for worse teams. Players like Azpilicuetta and Bellerin are miles ahead, never mind Liverpool and City’s full backs.

I feel like we’ve had Shaw for so long that we’ve forgotten what its like to actually have a real attacking full back and we’ve got used to his very limited attacking contribution. Not saying Reguilon is the answer, but whoever comes in isn’t trying to overcome a high performer.
You only need to look at the impact Shaw’s absence had on Rashford’s form to see that stats are not the be all and end all.

Albeit on a different level, we use to have the same debates about Evra’s end product, but by and large he was a phenomenal outlet down the left flank.

If AWB went forward like Shaw does, with the same technical ability, we’d be grand.

arthurka

Mind yourself, I have a Nigerian bank account.
How is that working out for you? Not sure you are getting many Europeans transfering money to your account first time you send them the info Prince Emal?

Luke Shaw has only started 20+ PL matches twice in the six seasons he has been here.
Sorry that's damning information to say the least. Wow

Litch

No doubt for me we need a LB but like CB, we have a graveyard of players that we hoped would come good. We need proven quality rather that the lottery of buying players that might prove to be good in what I believe to be an absolute key position.....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s just the nominated deity in the Twitter world at the moment. He’ll be tossed to the side soon. It was Di Marzio and Ornstein before him.
Romano has been in this bracket for a while, and Ornstein is still regarded as extremely credible.

It's only Di Marzio who seems to have dropped a notch.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Shaw has a poor final ball hence why he gets very few goals and assists. He also could be a lot better at actually attacking the space out wide (although he does go through periods where he does it very well, one of which was right before he got the last injury). What Shaw is very good at though is helping build our play out from the back and helping our midfield control the game. It'd be fairly easy to bring in somebody who is better at the first two aspects, but hopefully we can find one who also provides that last attribute.

EwanI Ted

You only need to look at the impact Shaw’s absence had on Rashford’s form to see that stats are not the be all and end all.

Albeit on a different level, we use to have the same debates about Evra’s end product, but by and large he was a phenomenal outlet down the left flank.

If AWB went forward like Shaw does, with the same technical ability, we’d be grand.
As I said, the fact that Shaw’s replacement was a recent youth team grad with no previous starts means that argument isn’t really that meaningful.

sillwuka

If we really have been offered him we must seal the deal.

Not overly expensive and we can cross the bridge of him wanting to return to Spain after we've won a few titles :drool:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've seen him play once, and he handled Greenwood (not easy) whilst also tearing AWB apart. Was that an abnormally good game for him? Or is he just really good?

I'd get him purely because he's surely better than Williams and Luke Shaw can't stay fit to save his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.