g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonzo1

It won't be a problem to have him and Shaw in the squad, they will push each other to be better and we can play Reguillon when we need to break down defensive teams. Not to mention Shaw can play CB in a back 3 in big games. He will be a welcomed addition to the squad, much more needed then a CB in my opinion.

Reactions: Sultan

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It won't be a problem to have him and Shaw in the squad, they will push each other to be better and we can play Reguillon when we need to break down defensive teams. Not to mention Shaw can play CB in a back 3 in big games. He will be a welcomed addition to the squad, much more needed then a CB in my opinion.
That's a valid point.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I do wonder if we sign this lad, will we be moving Shaw to LCB? He’s got the defensive skills for the role

It's B Rubble

I hope we bring him in, I’ve lost patience with Shaw.
He was our most solid defender last season and made it possible for Rashford to get forward with less focus on helping out defensively. The Shaw hate is absurd as was clearly pointed out with Williams being at fault for multiple goals when Shaw was out at the end of the season.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We need to be able to field atleast one attacking fullback. We're trying to force AWB to be that as Shaw has proven he can't be the one.

AWB is the better defensive fullback out of him and Shaw so why not partner AWB with Reguilon and bring our left side to life?
Again, it's not that simple. Our present midfielders are not very defensively minded except Matic to fill spaces left by full-backs attacking. As an example, Liverpool's system adopts more midfielders with a defensive mindset allowing their full-backs licence to roam forward. Basically, making themselves wingers. A high number of their assists come from their full-backs. Once Pogba and Bruno came into the side our assists and attacking prowess came through the middle allowing our full-backs to focus on their defensive duties first and foremost.

Obviously, a lot de[ends on the quality of the opposition what sort of balance is required between attack and defence.

VanGaalEra

He was our most solid defender last season and made it possible for Rashford to get forward with less focus on helping out defensively. The Shaw hate is absurd as was clearly pointed out with Williams being at fault for multiple goals when Shaw was out at the end of the season.
Until he got injured again, we can’t rely on Shaw to give us a full season, in fact we’d be lucky to get 60% of a season out of Shaw.

And where was he at the end of the season when we needed him the most? Injured. We can’t rely on him, it always something with him and it’s been this way since he arrived. Honestly, my patience is gone and that’s nothing to do with hating him.

VanGaalEra

Again, it's not that simple. Our present midfielders are not very defensively minded except Matic to fill spaces left by full-backs attacking. As an example, Liverpool's system adopts more midfielders with a defensive mindset allowing their full-backs licence to roam forward. Basically, making themselves wingers. A high number of their assists come from their full-backs. Once Pogba and Bruno came into the side our assists and attacking prowess came through the middle allowing our full-backs to focus on their defensive duties first and foremost.

Obviously, a lot de[ends on the quality of the opposition what sort of balance is required between attack and defence.
You could give Reguilon the licence to go forward and have Matic cover him defensively with AWB also no longer required to always try and fulfil an additional attacking role. AWB can be more selective in his attacks.

Sultan

Absolutely!

Shaw was our player of the year 18-19. He was also in very good form prior to his latest injury. His absence also coincided in Rashford and the teams' performances to drop.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think there’s massive underrating of Shaw going on here as when he’s fit he’s a very important player for us and Reguilon will need to do very well to displace him. When fit is the key though, he’s only managed more than 20 league games in 2 of the 6 seasons he’s been here. We definitely need another left back.

Sultan

You could give Reguilon the licence to go forward and have Matic cover him defensively with AWB also no longer required to always try and fulfil an additional attacking role. AWB can be more selective in his attacks.
That is the Jose way. One full-back has to remain in a defensive mode.

Baneofthegame

Absolutely!

Shaw was our player of the year 18-19. He was also in very good form prior to his latest injury. His absence also coincided in Rashford and the teams' performances to drop.
Absolutely, seems no coincidence we fell off a cliff from the left.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Agree, would have been perfectly fine if he could last a season with out injuries. Doesn't have to be an option better than Shaw. We just need someone to rotate with him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I do wonder if we sign this lad, will we be moving Shaw to LCB? He’s got the defensive skills for the role
Not in a back four. Well, that's yet to be tested anyway. Would be quite surprising if Ole does that, and it actually working. We'd likely move Brandon over to be AWB's understudy, and see Shaw and Reguilon slug it out for the LB slot. The fixture list will ensure both get a lot of games, and Shaw will most likely not be fit for the whole season.

Any rumoured figure for the much reported buy back clause?

I think there’s massive underrating of Shaw going on here as when he’s fit he’s a very important player for us and Reguilon will need to do very well to displace him. When fit is the key though, he’s only managed more than 20 league games in 2 of the 6 seasons he’s been here. We definitely need another left back.
this why my patience has gone, and we can’t have Williams playing in his absence as hes not good enough yet.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
i agree with this. Shaw is good but he gets an injury every season more or less

AsonUnique

My thoughts exactly. Shaw has been back to his best when challenged by Williams. Williams would be able to spell AWB. Shaw looked solid with 3 at the back and Reguilon is a great wing back.

If our CB targets don't fall into place this window we could use a portion of the funds here to strengthen in the meantime.

Rolaholic

I must've missed the part where AWB missed significant time last season...

georgipep

Even with a buyback it could be a good deal. Buy for 20 and sell for 40.

Just look at Hakimi at Dortmund on loan. Was great for them. Imagine if they were paid £20m for the pleasure of having a good player for 2 seasons. That’s a fantastic deal.

Rotate with Shaw and if need be you’ve got £40m in a few years to invest in a new LB.
Only if you ignore that you need to train and build game plans with someone who can easily leave. Even is expected to leave if he performs well. We're not that kind of club.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Wouldn't buy anyone or even loan them with a buy back clause. They either want and are able to stay or they aren't.

Rolaholic

The reports out of Spain linking us to him mention Real wanting a sell-on clause more than a buy-back

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is he even that good? He plays in a system where full-backs are given a lot of freedom to attack and overload the flanks and I wonder if that makes him look better than he would otherwise be in Ole's system.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Wouldn't buy anyone or even loan them with a buy back clause. They either want and are able to stay or they aren't.
Surely it’d be one of those “we get first dibs if he’s leaving” kind of ones and not “you can have him until we want to buy him back at any point”

Silas

Surely it’d be one of those “we get first dibs if he’s leaving” kind of ones and not “you can have him until we want to buy him back at any point”
That's a first refusal, not a buyback.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Only if you ignore that you need to train and build game plans with someone who can easily leave. Even is expected to leave if he performs well. We're not that kind of club.
You don’t need to ignore anything.

Training and game plans aren’t built on 5 year futures. Training and game plan is the here and now. If he comes then he’s here and the training and game plans are the exact same as any other player.

Anyone can easily leave. Anyone can force a move. Any manager can get fired easily.

We’re not the kind of club. We aren’t special. Get over yourself. We’re the same as every other club. Bayern managed to just fine with their game plans and training with loan players. But you’re right actually, we aren’t that kind of club. We aren’t the kind to win the league or CL are we?

If he’d leave he’d be leaving at a high end price, giving us tons of profit along with an amount to reinvest if needed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw was excellent for us last season. It was noticeable when he was out of the side. Shaw's final ball isn't great, but his passing is underrated, as is his movement off the ball. Prior to his injury, he was making some really intelligent runs infield which was allowing Rashford acres of space to operate in.

That said, competition for places is never a bad thing. We've managed to clear some serious money off our wage bill recently. We can afford to add some quality players to the squad who aren't necessarily automatic starters. And having a player that can offer us that final ball is a brilliant alternative.

Shiva87

This will be a great addition if it goes through. LB has been a problem area when Shaw is not fit. Makes complete sense and increases competition for places. 2 players who are good enough to start every week! Williams and Laird can fight it out to displace AWB - if they can.

Can United make 2 sensible signings in one summer? I'm getting giddy with all the logic.

dev1l

Unpopular Opinion. I have serious doubts that signing Regulion makes sense.
If he performs very well, Madrid will come back for him and considering that "Madrid is his home"(quoted from an interview), he LL must likely push for a move.
If he s a flop, he ll rot in reserves until we sell him for a ridiculously low fee.

Darlington Padgett

I think the problem is not his contribution, it's him always getting those 3-4 week injuries. He was doing really well and Rashford really missed him but he's not reliable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It would make alot of sense this signing especially for squad depth purposes. I don't know alot about him but he seems to be a player that is good on the ball and would provide width on the left. The wing back system would become a genuine option with Reguilon and Ethan Laird and I personally do the like the potential of Shaw playing as a LCB even in a two.

georgipep

You don’t need to ignore anything.

Training and game plans aren’t built on 5 year futures. Training and game plan is the here and now. If he comes then he’s here and the training and game plans are the exact same as any other player.

Anyone can easily leave. Anyone can force a move. Any manager can get fired easily.

We’re not the kind of club. We aren’t special. Get over yourself. We’re the same as every other club. Bayern managed to just fine with their game plans and training with loan players. But you’re right actually, we aren’t that kind of club. We aren’t the kind to win the league or CL are we?

If he’d leave he’d be leaving at a high end price, giving us tons of profit along with an amount to reinvest if needed.
First of all, of course clubs train and build game plans with longer horizon than 2 years. They create focal points and everything else gravitates towards them. Not every player is then suitable to that game plan. If you have an important cog in that machine it isn't easy to replace it. Especially before the machine is in full speed and the flywheel has started building its own momentum.

Bayern have loans. Not buying players with buyback clauses. It is completely different. With a loan you know you're getting a temporary solution. If you invest in a player and buy them, you build with them in mind for the long term.

And by "We're not that kind of club" I didn't mean special. I meant one that develops the players until their true "owners" want them back.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
He's a quality player, would be an excellent addition and at a reasonable price too. Another shrewd signing if it comes off. Can definitely see Shaw being used as a left CB. Shaw's been immense for us over the last season or so, Reguilon would be good competition for him and give us rotation/tactical options on that side.

Silas

I'd be pretty interested to see how Shaw copes in a CB pair. Part of me thinks it could be a masterstroke.
Most likely Mason added him purely because the media started linking him to us. Or maybe they got to talking a bit during/after the Sevilla match last month.
Why would he do that? We're linked to many, many players every window.

Castia

I like Shaw but he’s always missing games due to injury, we need a new LB.

Williams and AWB at RB with Reguilon and Shaw LB is pretty good.

Irrational.

I just don't trust Shaw to perform reliably over a long period without getting injured, and we're crying out for squad depth at LB which is why this transfer makes simply too much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.