Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’ve always liked Shaw, but it would be good to have an attacking FB option, especially since we don’t know if Dalot will ever come good.

You could also have him in there with Shaw at LCB for a back 5 that isn’t too negative.

-Supreme-

A fully fit AWB was exhausted after the restart with games came up thick and fast, a quality cover was always needed with or without Shaw's injuries.

Giggsy13

Shaw is a good LB but the attacking part of his game has not developed as we all hoped. He’s still a useful player though and been massive in a back 5 as a LCB.

Rolaholic

That final stat is a little damning...

More goal contributions in his first 2 seasons of first team football than Shaw has the prior 8 years combined.

Also been funny to see Shaw's defensive ability being used to make the case for him being an unquestioned starter when the same thing is used as a stick to beat AWB with when he's arguably the best FB defender in the world.

Reguilon would be a smart signing on multiple fronts, it would also benefit Shaw as well given how well he responded to being challenged by Williams this past season

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Shaw and Reguilón throughout the season with multiple competitions would be deadly and could offer Ole so much more tactical flexibility as both offering different set of skills. I'd be quite happy even with Lewis as hardworking backup, but this lad here shows signs of potential for Champions League matches.

Attacking team should have an option like that anyway and it's not like Real Madrid offering us Alex Buttner...

MrSingh2002

Who is a better attacking LB amongst Reguilon, Telles and Tagliafico?
In my opinion I'd rank them as below.

1. Reguilon - Best passer and probably the fastest going forwards, at age 23 he's a great age to bring in. Defends aggressively enough for a modern fullback.

2. Telles - Good corners and penalties, best shooter out of them all. At 27 could be ready made to bring in.

3. Shaw - Quite dependable defensively although has little attacking threat/urgency after his injury.

4. Tagliafico - Consistent player although wouldn't say he excels in any particular area. At 28 he wouldn't be more than a stop gap experienced player.

Devil may care

If Ole isn't sure about Laird yet and wants to move Williams to RB cover then this guy as cover/ccompetition for Shaw looks a good idea at the fee from what I saw in the EL games.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Cover for Shaw"

Some of you will be surprised to see he's a better LB than Shaw.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Whats the purpose in signing him?
Because he’s a good left back at a reasonable price & Shaw gets injured all the time.

Who is a better attacking LB amongst Reguilon, Telles and Tagliafico?
Probably Telles. Granted I’ve only seen Reguilon play once. Shaw & (IIRC) Tagliafico are quite defensive LBs

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Unpopular opinion probably: I think Shaw is actually a better player than Reguilon.
Shaw is underrated as a defender he’s barely but a foot wrong a lot of the time. However, he’s useless in the final third. He can carry the ball well, unlike AWB, but even AWB is better in the last third. Shaw might make a decent centre half to be honest.

We need a player who’s lethal in the last third and with AWB as our RB that has to be on the left side.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
To make him a better player before he rejoins Madrid :)
Yeah, why would real Madrid even sell him to us if he's good quality. Who's the last player they sold, apart from ronaldo, that played to a very good consistent level

arthurka

Shaw is underrated as a defender he’s barely but a foot wrong a lot of the time. However, he’s useless in the final third. He can carry the ball well, unlike AWB, but even AWB is better in the last third. Shaw might make a decent centre half to be honest.

We need a player who’s lethal in the last third and with AWB as our RB that has to be on the left side.
I really don't agree with that, he lets far too many crosses past him and is always good for exhaustion and a brainfart any game.

dev1l

Yeah, why would real Madrid even sell him to us if he's good quality. Who's the last player they sold, apart from ronaldo, that played to a very good consistent level
He s not good enough for them now. But if he becomes good enough within a season or so, they re sure that he ll answer their call.
If he becomes shit, they would have cashed 30m for a player who was not good enough for them. It s a win win situation for them
Even if he was the best left back in the world, I don't want.

C'est Moi Cantona

My point is that he s a Madrid born and bred. First chance he ll have, he ll go back there. Which means you cannot plan forward with someone like him
I don't get that, if he comes here on a long term contract and plays so well that Madrid want him back then that's surely a good thing, if he wants to use that as his motivation to be a top player then great, we reap the reward, then Madrid have the expense of getting a top class player back from us.

Dempsey19

I think if he comes in, he will replace shaw as first choice left back. Shaw is clueless when it comes to the final third unfortunately. Pity we have the same issue with AWB.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't get that, if he comes here on a long term contract and plays so well that Madrid want him back then that's surely a good thing, if he wants to use that as his motivation to be a top player then great, we reap the reward, then Madrid have the expense of getting a top class player back from us.
It is a win/win for us. I don’t see the downside here unless you’re just very bullish on Williams‘ potential.

lysglimt

Scout
Madrid are desperate for money - I read somewhere that they have to pay Chelsea £50 million this season and next as the final downpayment for Hazard.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just don't trust Shaw to perform reliably over a long period without getting injured, and we're crying out for squad depth at LB which is why this transfer makes simply too much sense.
Didn't know that Shaw is in 195k/wk. Dang. Does Matt Judge get a cut or something, with all these average players on high wages?

Well, we're just stuck with him until 2023 then.

C'est Moi Cantona

It is a win/win for us. I don’t see the downside here unless you’re just very bullish on Williams‘ potential.
It's not really much different from us letting Williams go for decent fee, then him been top class for whoever bought him, and us wanting to buy him back for a stupid fee. The club that bought him have had a great player for a few years, and then get a massive fee to invest elsewhere should the worst happen and his 'home club' buy him back.

Honestly if the only risk is that he's so good he makes Madrid regret selling him, then I'm all in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He s not good enough for them now. But if he becomes good enough within a season or so, they re sure that he ll answer their call.
If he becomes shit, they would have cashed 30m for a player who was not good enough for them. It s a win win situation for them
Even if he was the best left back in the world, I don't want.
You don't want the best left back in the world for 30m? If a player can give 3 years of world class performance, I really don't care if he leaves later on (for a decent price).

For instance, Ruud only gave us 3 world class years, and another 2 ok-ish.

Last edited:

dev1l

You don't want the best left back in the world for 30m? If a player can give 3 years of world class performance, I really don't care if he leaves later on (for a decent price).
We re not Real s feeder club.

Infestissumam

the thing is, they happily spent a lot of money on Ferland Mendy despite already having Reguilon (who had been okay as a starter at Real, I think) and they are happy to sell him now even after a really good season at Sevilla, so even if Madrid is home, he'll know he'll have to move for the sake of his career. I'd happily take him even with a sell-on clause and first refusal. Just no buyback, but I guess we would never agree to this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.