Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsOwn

IMHO we need an attacking right back much more than we need an attacking left sided one.
Brandon could do a good job on the right as an attacking RB.
AWB will continue to be the first choice that side

A genuine LB option to Shaw is bit more pressing.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
IMHO we need an attacking right back much more than we need an attacking left sided one.
We have Laird to hopefully come through the academy so personally I don’t see the benefit of it. AWB is fine and offers the huge benefit of locking down an entire side of the pitch. We have good enough attacking options for our productivity to come from elsewhere

A United defender typically needs to be able to defend first and foremost 1 on 1 and then be a part of the build up. We’ve rarely had purely offensive fullbacks with our width coming from wingers instead.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Would Reguilon, Umtiti and VDB (for a total cost of around €60m) be classed as a good transfer window?

I think that'd be an incredible trio of signings in terms of profile, age, cost in the current climate and will give our squad the depth it needs.

MrSingh2002

Brandon could do a good job on the right as an attacking RB.
AWB will continue to be the first choice that side

A genuine LB option to Shaw is bit more pressing.
Yeah, AWB is the best defensive fullback so attack down the left with Reguilon, backups are Shaw and Williams for rotation or games that require more defensive play on the left or more attacking on the right.

Thats assuming Dalot is the one to make way and not Shaw.

Mark Pawelek

I’ve no issue with loans, that wasn’t my argument, but we shouldn’t accept buy back clauses.
Your exact words: United should not be "submissive to other clubs". As likely as not, it's Reguilón's agents adding a buyback, or buyout clause (if there is one); not Real. IMHO, it should depend on the player and position. If we can get as good a LB elsewhere we do; if we can't, we get him.

MrSingh2002

Would Reguilon, Umtiti and VDB (for a total cost of around €60m) be classed as a good transfer window?

I think that'd be an incredible trio of signings in terms of profile, age, cost in the current climate and will give our squad the depth it needs.
I'm pretty sure Umtitis knee is fecked and Barca have been trying to flog him for the past two seasons because of this. They even signed another left footed CB in Lenglet when it happened. Umtiti before his injury was flying and otherwise they had no real reason to move him on.

Your exact words: United should not be "submissive to other clubs". As likely as not, it's Reguilón's agents adding a buyback, or buyout clause (if there is one); not Real. IMHO, it should depend on the player and position. If we can get as good a LB elsewhere we do; if we can't, we get him.
I also said it doesn’t matter who inserts such a clause, it would mean that another club could buy one of our players whenever they wanted, or hold it as leverage over us in other negotiations. That’s not acceptable.

Left back is not even a priority for us. He’s hardly the missing piece of the jigsaw. Unless he can play right wing...

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I'm pretty sure Umtitis knee is fecked and Barca have been trying to flog him for the past two seasons because of this. They even signed another left footed CB in Lenglet when it happened. Umtiti before his injury was flying and otherwise they had no real reason to move him on.
Yeah, I just read somewhere that they'd be willing to move him on for free if he was willing to reduce the amount owed from contract... or something like that. Didn't know it was because of a knee injury - is he worth a gamble on a free?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You need to come down from your high horse and humble yourself because we aren't in a position to dictate terms on a player that is reportedly being offered for a knock down price. You're also so narrow minded in your thinking that you won't entertain the idea that buying a player for a knock down price with a buyback clause could actually benefit us.
I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. It’s 50-50 whether he’s actually better than a fit Luke Shaw to begin with so even at the ‘knockdown price’ of 25m there are numerous other left backs we could get for that price to offer cover. If we do sign him and he becomes a key player then having a buy back is absurd as then he can just leave without our control. And to be perfectly frank if he doesn’t want to be here and it’s just some stepping stone for Madrid then I don’t want him. We’re one of the biggest clubs on the planet trying to build a side to compete for the next 5-6 years. We absolutely are in a position to not be held to ransom by Madrid’s third choice left back. If he wants to come and compete for a place and there’s no buy-back then great otherwise there’s absolutely no point touching him. And I’m fairly certain that will be Ole’s position to.

MrSingh2002

Yeah, I just read somewhere that they'd be willing to move him on for free if he was willing to reduce the amount owed from contract... or something like that. Didn't know it was because of a knee injury - is he worth a gamble on a free?
I'd have to say no. Barca don't give anyone away on a free. He must be finished but if he was to be playing regularly you could be convinced otherwise.

GazTheLegend

No way, you're just taking on someone else's headache

MrSingh2002

Just checked online and Umtiti admits he has permanent knee issues.

He played through pain at the World Cup but doesn't regret it as he won the thing.

He'll probably just have to do a Winston Bogarde and be in the stands until his contract runs out. Hope the moneys good enough to last a couple of decades.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. It’s 50-50 whether he’s actually better than a fit Luke Shaw to begin with so even at the ‘knockdown price’ of 25m there are numerous other left backs we could get for that price to offer cover. If we do sign him and he becomes a key player then having a buy back is absurd as then he can just leave without our control. And to be perfectly frank if he doesn’t want to be here and it’s just some stepping stone for Madrid then I don’t want him. We’re one of the biggest clubs on the planet trying to build a side to compete for the next 5-6 years. We absolutely are in a position to not be held to ransom by Madrid’s third choice left back. If he wants to come and compete for a place and there’s no buy-back then great otherwise there’s absolutely no point touching him. And I’m fairly certain that will be Ole’s position to.
You could've said the same for Wan Bissaka and Maguire but we didn't walk away and ended up paying what they wanted in the end.

We don't have a single fullback who is established at first team level who gives Ole tactical flexibility. This player gives us that option and is available for a reasonable fee and has proven he can provide width and combination play in attack. Even for a couple of years it makes sense because even if he leaves in two years it will represent potentially good business because he'll see us through a transitional phase and we'll be in a better position to replace him. There's benefits to signing him even with a buyback.

And maybe his replacement will be a player from Madrid's youth team who we've signed this year in Alvaro Carreras.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

It would have to be seriously looked into if Umtiti could actually be fit for a long enough time to be of any value. He could just take Jones place in the physios room. If he was able to stay injury free, that would be a hell of a signing on a free.

cyberman

If we want to buy a player from the biggest club in the world for a knock down price, a player who represents value. Then you aren't gonna dictate terms to them. We couldn't dictate terms to Palace and Leicester and got our pants pulled down and this particular deal represents even better better than both those deals even with a buyback.
We got AWB and Maguire for cheaper than we were told? Hell I remember the Zaha clause being used as a bargaining tool and we shut that down.
Madrid cant move Bale and bought Hazard for 160m with 12 months left, bought Jovic for 60m, couldn't buy Pogba etc.
It seems everybody dictates terms to Madrid easily enough

Traub

Ignoring Umtiti's injury trouble, I think the problem with all three options is none of them are instant first XI players. We definitely need squad improvements as well (e.g. VdB), but we also need a couple of first XI players to push on and challenge Liverpool and City (and possibly Chelsea now too).

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Just checked online and Umtiti admits he has permanent knee issues.

He played through pain at the World Cup but doesn't regret it as he won the thing.

He'll probably just have to do a Winston Bogarde and be in the stands until his contract runs out. Hope the moneys good enough to last a couple of decades.
Could be another Ledley King. No training and play games when fit - for an average team unfortunately

We got AWB and Maguire for cheaper than we were told? Hell I remember the Zaha clause being used as a bargaining tool and we shut that down.
Madrid cant move Bale and bought Hazard for 160m with 12 months left, bought Jovic for 60m, couldn't buy Pogba etc.
agree completely.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Hazard did not cost 160m.
You believe any report that comes out?
Pogba was deemed not worth the money. What has he really done for United that would encourage RM to spend big for him? We passed on him as youngster Velverde put more promising performances then Pogba at United.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

No it would be an awful window.

Reguilon would be a good squad option but is barely an upgrade on Shaw.

Umtiti would be a stupid signing. The guy is a crock. He’s a fantastic defender but his knee is fecked. Barcelona would not be wanting rid of him If they felt his injury issues were in the past. We have enough sick note defenders.

VDB is a great signing but it’s debatable whether he improves the first 11.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We got AWB and Maguire for ridiculously inflated prices and I've said so for nearly a year now.

The examples you're giving are of players who Madrid bought and not sold. So the selling club dictates like in the cases you mention. Reguilon is a Madridista and Madrid aren't gonna give him away for a knock down fee without the added caveat IMO. Even with the buyback there's a huge benefit to us and the buyback may never get triggered because Madrid have two established leftbacks in the current team and the highly rated Guttierez who is touted to be a Madrid regular from the youth system. If we can bring him in even with the buyback it makes sense and will provide us with a genuine wingback threat.

No it would be an awful window.

Reguilon would be a good squad option but is barely an upgrade on Shaw.

Umtiti would be a stupid signing. The guy is a crock. He’s a fantastic defender but his knee is fecked. Barcelona would not be wanting rid of him If they felt his injury issues were in the past. We have enough sick note defenders.

VDB is a great signing but it’s debatable whether he improves the first 11.
I take it you've watched him alot then?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pogba was deemed not worth the money. What has he really done for United that would encourage RM to spend big for him? We passed on him as youngster Velverde put more promising performances then Pogba at United.
Pogba would be your best player to be honest.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Umtiti is the last thing we need. Another erratic injury prone centre back on a huge wage. We already have Jones, Bailly & Rojo doing that job. No thanks.

VDB, Reguilon & Thiago, keeping Smalling, would be better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You didn't pass on Pogba. If you don't have money, that doesn't mean you passed on him. And No Valverde didn't put more promising performance than Pogba. You can counter points without silly exaggeration.

We got AWB and Maguire for ridiculously inflated prices and I've said so for nearly a year now.

The examples you're giving are of players who Madrid bought and not sold. So the selling club dictates like in the cases you mention. Reguilon is a Madridista and Madrid aren't gonna give him away for a knock down fee without the added caveat IMO. Even with the buyback there's a huge benefit to us and the buyback may never get triggered because Madrid have two established leftbacks in the current team and the highly rated Guttierez who is touted to be a Madrid regular from the youth system. If we can bring him in even with the buyback it makes sense and will provide us with a genuine wingback threat.
Just to be clear, has anyone apart from you even suggested a buy back clause?

The knock effects are far too big for a player in a position that’s pretty far down our list of priorities.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
From what I’ve read Shaw is better defensively and Regulion better in attack. Room for both in this squad, especially with Shaw’s injuries.

We really do need an attacking option at LB or RB so I’d be all for the addition at the right price.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just to be clear, has anyone apart from you even suggested a buy back clause?

The knock effects are far too big for a player in a position that’s pretty far down our list of priorities.
I'm not the one who mentioned a buyback clause, the claim was made by Madrid based media. I'm just saying that even with a buyback clause this signing could be of great benefit to us like the player was for Sevilla. Two years is a long time in football and by then we could well be in a far stronger position to replace him, assuming Madrid do trigger the clause which doesn't look likely to me.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
i’ve watched him enough to know that he isn’t the second coming of Evra like some seem to think he is.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love him at the club, but a summer of him Umtiti and DVB is terrible.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
You didn't pass on Pogba. If you don't have money, that doesn't mean you passed on him. And No Valverde didn't put more promising performance than Pogba. You can counter points without silly exaggeration.
RM bought Hazard for 110, Jovic for 60, Mendy for 50, Rodrygo for 50, Militao for 50 and Reineir for 30 = total of 350 million euros spend on players last season. We are not in for Pogba anymore as he is not worth the money. As I said mainly because Velverde Blossomed. Velverde Value went from 20 million euros to 54 million euros on transfermarkt. Means he had a breakthrough season. Pogba on the other hand was injured for the most part. Did not play any significant part for you guys. So no exaggeration.

Maybe next season things might be different if Pogba finally does have a significant impact on United and win a title. And Velverde/Ødegaard does not turn out to be as good as they are predicted to be.

i’ve watched him enough to know that he isn’t the second coming of Evra like some seem to think he is.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love him at the club, but a summer of him Umtiti and DVB is terrible.
Umtiti would be a disaster. Hopefully we have learned enough painful lessons to go nowhere near him, wouldn’t take him on a free given his wages.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
RM bought Hazard for 110, Jovic for 60, Mendy for 50, Rodrygo for 50, Militao for 50 and Reineir for 30 = total of 350 million euros spend on players last season. We are not in for Pogba anymore as he is not worth the money. As I said mainly because Velverde Blossomed. Velverde Value went from 20 million euros to 54 million euros on transfermarkt. Means he had a breakthrough season. Pogba on the other hand was injured for the most part. Did not play any significant part for you guys. So no exaggeration.

Maybe next season things might be different if Pogba finally does have a significant impact on United and win a title. And Velverde/Ødegaard does not turn out to be as good as they are predicted to be.
It is exaggeration as you didn't mention this season, also if you meant this season, it would have been silly point considering one player missed most of the season.

You are not in for Pogba as you can't afford him. World doesn't revolve around Madrid.

Edit: btw you have already paid 130 million for Hazard, with max around 160 million is possible if all add ons are met.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

The last thing we need is another injury prone centre back.

cyberman

160m was the number BBC claimed it was as well.
My point is, its not Madrids way or the high way. Its 2020, nobody bends the knee anymore. We cant dictate to Madrid.. Feck me

Status
Not open for further replies.