Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Anyone not noticing the urgency of signing a LB need sort themselves up. Williams is right footed and he struggles at LB while Shaw is painfully injury prone. If a 34 year old Jesus Navas can rip a new one at Williams then imagine what CL inside forwards are going to do to the lad. We need a LB.

Also this 'too many signings will disrupt the dressing room' is nonsense. First of all having 4 new signings (LB, CB, RW and CM) is the norm for most clubs. Secondly no one is forcing Ole to play the new LB from day 1. Let him go toe to toe against Shaw and win his place fair and square.
Haven't seen many people claim anything about too many signings... we make 3 signings a year basically, which is like the bare minimum and what Sir Alex tried to do even when he had a complete team. But yeah, our squad was painfully short. Reguillon is a young player who provides more going forward than Shaw while being roughly the same level overall, which means it'll be good competition (and one id expect Reguillon to win given Shaw is injury prone/ineffective in the final 3rd).

Williams should be a backup for Wan Bissaka and a 3rd option at left back, but shouldn't be playing so much at fullback right now. With the CL now, we'll need to play a strong 11 in every single game. We need to win trophies which means we won't take it easy in the FA cup either, so depth is desperately needed. Van de beek provides a versatile player who can start or cover as a high level option/competition to Bruno and Pogba, while Reguillon would do the same. Adding Sancho to the attack is imperative as well as we'll be in the same situation for the front 3. Two very good players, an 18 year old worldie prospect, and no usable depth apart from again lower opposition at best.

Ekeke

We do need an upgrade on Shaw. He’s not good enough in the final third and given AWB is a defensive fullback having the two of them severely limits us as a team. We need an offensive fullback on the left.
If we want an offensive minded fullback we need CBs who dont need the help defensively from their fullbacks and a DM

bosnian_red

Apparently he just now followed Greenwood and Pogba on Instagram. If that means anything.
Very random. Quick scroll through and he only follows Spanish players pretty much.... its on!

AshRK

To be fair I have not seen him much. I don't understand if he is so good why is real madrid offering him everywhere and clubs are hesitant in buying him. Not saying he is not good but just curious.

Cathy Ferguson

To be fair I have not seen him much. I don't understand if he is so good why is real madrid offering him everywhere and clubs are hesitant in buying him. Not saying he is not good but just curious.
Cause Mendy is outstanding and noone would buy Marcelo for serious money.

bosnian_red

Reguilon seems a great signing. But on the list of priorities, he comes after Sancho and a CB. I don’t believe we have unlimited funds. So maybe that’s what they’re thinking about.
Definitely before a CB. We'll have a condensed season, with constant big games with the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup. Carabao cup we still need to put out a line up but every team who is in europe should probably throw that one out the window next season if they want to maintain good fitness. We already know that Shaw breaks down whenever he plays too much and picks up constant injuries, we know we have no attacking quality from our fullbacks, and we know Wan Bissaka really dropped his form with the restart where he was playing constantly. Williams is awkward on the left and not good enough yet to play that regularly against high level opposition, so having a group of 4 of Wan Bissaka and Williams for the right, and Shaw and Reguillon for the left would be perfect for our needs next season. CB we have numbers, but not durability. We should really be keeping Smalling, but if he leaves than we have starters who can stay fit and the Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe who can't be trusted to make 10 appearances each over a season with their injury history. But at least have numbers to hope that one will be there when needed (and they're backups so less chance of getting injured anyway).

Sancho blatantly isn't happening this summer, it would've happened by now. We have to move on from that and plug the holes in the squad. We have no attacking depth, and need competition up there regardless of Sancho signing as past January Ighalo will be gone, meaning we'll be short even if we sign Sancho. So bring in Reguillon to add to Van De Beek, add quality attacking depth, and then if we manage to clear out some CB numbers, then go for a CB. Reguillon is an excellent option at a great price though, perfect age and the perfect level as a player where he'll be hungry to make the step up just like Van de Beek.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Haven't seen many people claim anything about too many signings... we make 3 signings a year basically, which is like the bare minimum and what Sir Alex tried to do even when he had a complete team. But yeah, our squad was painfully short. Reguillon is a young player who provides more going forward than Shaw while being roughly the same level overall, which means it'll be good competition (and one id expect Reguillon to win given Shaw is injury prone/ineffective in the final 3rd).

Williams should be a backup for Wan Bissaka and a 3rd option at left back, but shouldn't be playing so much at fullback right now. With the CL now, we'll need to play a strong 11 in every single game. We need to win trophies which means we won't take it easy in the FA cup either, so depth is desperately needed. Van de beek provides a versatile player who can start or cover as a high level option/competition to Bruno and Pogba, while Reguillon would do the same. Adding Sancho to the attack is imperative as well as we'll be in the same situation for the front 3. Two very good players, an 18 year old worldie prospect, and no usable depth apart from again lower opposition at best.
Well there are people who think that if United sign more then 3 signings then there might be disruptions in the dressing room. I think it's bollocks. Numbers don't really matter as long as common sense prevail (ex we don't buy someone who can seriously compete for a first team place with let's say prime Keane). What matters is the players' attitude and the salaries given to such players. If a player (whether he's a new signing or a player whose already at the club) is given a ridiculous salary for his talent OR he lacks the attitude to succeed then there will be problems in the dressing room. Sanchez is a perfect example to that.

Returning on the LB position, we really don't know how much influence Shaw has on his team mates. What we do know is that he gets injured alot and tbf his performances tend to be satisfactory but hardly world class. Reguilon would be perfect because on one hand he can immediately come in and do the job while on the other hand he's not a big name enough to expect a first team place from day 1. There are other players that fall in that category like for example Jamal Lewis. I strongly believe that a LB would help Williams as well as he would shift on the RB position ie his favourite foot. That would allow us to sell Dalot which would drive the expense of buying a LB down considerably.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Reguilon seems a great signing. But on the list of priorities, he comes after Sancho and a CB. I don’t believe we have unlimited funds. So maybe that’s what they’re thinking about.
I think Sancho is more impotent for the depth of the squad so we have quality options on the bench (Greenwood). However, when looking at our best XI, the one we played during that great restart run, LB is the priority position that needs improvement for me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is he actually any good, honestly. He seems great in a system that suits fullbacks generally, but how would he be in Ole's system?

Adamsk7

I think he has great potential. I’d love us to get this deal done because him and Shaw would be good depth at LB and Brandon can move over to compete with AWB at right back. We’d also have TFM as back up again to either side. Reguilon is also attacking enough that he could play left wing or left wing back.

if we can’t find our Left sided CB target, he’s probably the best bet for instantly upgrading our defensive options. If we’re being offered himand the deal is good, we won’t find a better LB option, even if it isn’t a priority

bosnian_red

Well there are people who think that if United sign more then 3 signings then there might be disruptions in the dressing room. I think it's bollocks. Numbers don't really matter as long as common sense prevail (ex we don't buy someone who can seriously compete for a first team place with let's say prime Keane). What matters is the players' attitude and the salaries given to such players. If a player (whether he's a new signing or a player whose already at the club) is given a ridiculous salary for his talent OR he lacks the attitude to succeed then there will be problems in the dressing room. Sanchez is a perfect example to that.

Returning on the LB position, we really don't know how much influence Shaw has on his team mates. What we do know is that he gets injured alot and tbf his performances tend to be satisfactory but hardly world class. Reguilon would be perfect because on one hand he can immediately come in and do the job while on the other hand he's not a big name enough to expect a first team place from day 1. There are other players that fall in that category like for example Jamal Lewis. I strongly believe that a LB would help Williams as well as he would shift on the RB position ie his favourite foot. That would allow us to sell Dalot which would drive the expense of buying a LB down considerably.
For sure. And it likely helps Shaw if anything. Shaw breaks down when he plays multiple times in short periods. Well now we have a condensed season, a tiny summer break with no pre season, and then the competitions ramp up in importance. Last season we had 1 focus - getting top 4. We barely managed that and were saved by a pandemic giving us time to get players fit mid season, even though we could've rotated in every cup. Now we'll have a tighter premier league schedule where we have to improve our points total from last season (as mid 60's won't cut it for the top 4 again), the Champions league that we have to go for, and we desperately need to win a trophy as Man United can't go 4 seasons without a trophy. The league cup should obviously be tossed aside and just deep bench/youth options used for those, but that's constant football for the core group.

Shaw will break down immediately if we don't have serious competition for him where they can rotate and keep everyone fresh. The same for our midfield (Van de Beek helps that), the same for our attack. Reguilon is a must IMO, and then we have to go all out for a player in the front 3 to give us that depth or competition for Martial/Rashford/Greenwood, otherwise we'll get injuries very quickly and the season will be derailed. It's worrying that we're so slow to act on our depth, and I'm 100% sure that our squad will collapse if we don't address all the positions lacking in depth.

bosnian_red

Is he actually any good, honestly. He seems great in a system that suits fullbacks generally, but how would he be in Ole's system?
He's 23 so a perfect age, plays for the spanish national team, was a key player for a top 4 Spanish league side and won the Europa league, is far better in the final 3rd than Shaw is while being a very well rounded fullback with a good engine on him, and a very good fitness record. And a very realistic price. Exactly what we need if we want to sustain next season without an injury disaster to every main player. Can play LB/LWB so if we go 3-5-2, Shaw and him can both play as well, or just rotate to avoid or fatigue/push each other to improve/cover for injuries/change depending on opponent.

POF

Lee O’Connor is an irrelevance to be fair. Other than a small Redcafe ****, there was little to suggest that he was seen as a serious long term first teamer. He also spent most of his reserve career playing at centre half.

I don’t think I’m being disrespectful to Williams at all. If we are being totally honest, he was not seriously pushing for a first team place before hand. That doesn’t mean that he couldn’t have made it, but he didn’t get put into the first team shortly after his 19th birthday because he was a prodigy is all I’m saying. Laird has always been in that ‘prodigy’ category.

Under normal/ideal circumstances - I imagine Williams would have gone on loan in January. As a talent, he was no more highly rated than the likes of Garner and Levitt who are going on loan. In fact, I’d say he’s generally been less highly rated than those two. Definitely less so than Garner at the very least.

The order in which debuts are handed out are dependent on a number of factors. Williams impressed enough people when he got his chance, and has stayed in the squad, but his brief career in comparison to a rival who hasn’t yet had that chance doesn’t make him better. You could say that if there were a big game tomorrow and we needed a RB between Williams and Laird, we’d pick Williams, and I suspect you’re right. Safety first and all that. I’m just as confident that if there was a big game at the point Williams made his debut and we needed a right back between the two, and both were fit, we’d absolutely choose Laird. Not only because he’s better than Williams, but mainly because he’s the one who plays right back out of the two! Again, Laird can also play LB, but I have no issue with Williams being ahead in that position at the moment. It makes sense. But he shouldn’t be ahead of Laird as a RB option based on a small number of LB games in the first team, discounting everything the club know of the two their whole lives.
The only relevance I was pointing to was that O'Connor was more "senior" than Williams at the time and was playing full back for the u23s. That Williams was chosen instead showed the club viewed him as a prospect.

Laird is certainly seen as a major talent by the club but who knows how he'll progress. There are never any guarantees. Anyway, I'll leave it there as it's not the thread for this discussion.

Reguillon would be a very interesting signing. A full back with that level of quality offensively and naturally left footed would be a really good option

DCP

I think he has great potential. I’d love us to get this deal done because him and Shaw would be good depth at LB and Brandon can move over to compete with AWB at right back. We’d also have TFM as back up again to either side. Reguilon is also attacking enough that he could play left wing or left wing back.

if we can’t find our Left sided CB target, he’s probably the best bet for instantly upgrading our defensive options. If we’re being offered himand the deal is good, we won’t find a better LB option, even if it isn’t a priority
This.

RkkMan

Definitely before a CB. We'll have a condensed season, with constant big games with the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup. Carabao cup we still need to put out a line up but every team who is in europe should probably throw that one out the window next season if they want to maintain good fitness. We already know that Shaw breaks down whenever he plays too much and picks up constant injuries, we know we have no attacking quality from our fullbacks, and we know Wan Bissaka really dropped his form with the restart where he was playing constantly. Williams is awkward on the left and not good enough yet to play that regularly against high level opposition, so having a group of 4 of Wan Bissaka and Williams for the right, and Shaw and Reguillon for the left would be perfect for our needs next season. CB we have numbers, but not durability. We should really be keeping Smalling, but if he leaves than we have starters who can stay fit and the Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe who can't be trusted to make 10 appearances each over a season with their injury history. But at least have numbers to hope that one will be there when needed (and they're backups so less chance of getting injured anyway).

Sancho blatantly isn't happening this summer, it would've happened by now. We have to move on from that and plug the holes in the squad. We have no attacking depth, and need competition up there regardless of Sancho signing as past January Ighalo will be gone, meaning we'll be short even if we sign Sancho. So bring in Reguillon to add to Van De Beek, add quality attacking depth, and then if we manage to clear out some CB numbers, then go for a CB. Reguillon is an excellent option at a great price though, perfect age and the perfect level as a player where he'll be hungry to make the step up just like Van de Beek.
Everything you say here is spot on except Sancho we don`t know if its happening or not but cynical to suggest its dead record transfers very rarely happen early in the window. Van Dijk took 2 windows plus Bale, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar, Dembele, Maguire, Pogba etc all got concluded late in the windows so Sancho could still happen all the noise from Utd`s best correspondents is the deal is still in the works if it was dead we`d have briefed by now like we have with others(Dybala, Grezmann, Haaland) its all a matter of whether we pay up early enough so BVB can replace him

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fortunately Solskjaer's system does suit full backs, Shaw and Wan-Bissaka see a huge amount of the ball and have license to get forward as much as they want a good atttacking full back would have a field day, bonus points for how often Regulion was looking to overlap against us which is something Shaw and Wan-Bissaka have been working on a lot.

Suv666

Going by Fabrizo's tweet we dont sound too keen. I'd be surprised if this happens.

Infestissumam

Going by Fabrizo's tweet we dont sound too keen. I'd be surprised if this happens.
to be fair, with van de Beek it was only "monitoring" and "an option" at first too. Not saying Reguilon will happen, but we seem to be very reserved when it comes to what we tell journalists these days. Which is a good thing I guess.

Castia

Bollocks imo

Ole deciding if he wants him? doesn’t sound too convincing does it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bollocks imo

Ole deciding if he wants him? doesn’t sound too convincing does it.
Probably wants to decide if he's happy with including a buy back clause.

LoneStar

He's 23 so a perfect age, plays for the spanish national team, was a key player for a top 4 Spanish league side and won the Europa league, is far better in the final 3rd than Shaw is while being a very well rounded fullback with a good engine on him, and a very good fitness record. And a very realistic price. Exactly what we need if we want to sustain next season without an injury disaster to every main player. Can play LB/LWB so if we go 3-5-2, Shaw and him can both play as well, or just rotate to avoid or fatigue/push each other to improve/cover for injuries/change depending on opponent.
How is he defensively ?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Sometimes with his tweets certain words and expressions can be lost in translation and that’s expected since English isn’t his first language so I wouldn’t take his tweets at face value.

KW2006

I like him but he is not going here to be a backup option. Otherwise Real Madrid don't have to sell him/loan him out.

If he comes, he is going to challenge Shaw for the starting spot. But if he plays well and take the spot, he is very likely going back to Real Madrid in 1-2 years.

All in all, a 1-year loan with first refusal would be best for us. Solve the LB problem for the next season, and save $ for other positions' reinforcement.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah, you never really know how players will do coming back from loan. Hakimi did benefit from playing as a wing back rather than a full back at times.

There is every chance Reguilon is the next Asier Del Horno or Alberto Moreno.

That being said if we aren’t going to buy a ready made LB like Chilwell then a gamble like this seems worthwhile.
Maybe - but for a price of £20-25 million its not really a gamble, there are clubs who would be willing to pay that amount (or close) based on what he has done at Sevilla. So we would get our money back even if he flops

Chairman Steve

If this goes through, I forsee Reguilon actually being first choice LB. Shaw is sadly the kind of player we've had a lot of over the recent years

Starts to plays decent after handful of games > Plays more and gets good > Gets injured for long time > Start from square 1 involving poor/mediocre performances > Repeat

LoneStar

Decent, space to improve for sure but not too bad as well.
It makes sense to bring in a player who’s good in the final third, since I think our fullbacks will have a lot of time on the ball next season.

Marcus

I tweeted him to come to United. If he does, I am claiming credit.

mu4c_20le

Sometimes with his tweets certain words and expressions can be lost in translation and that’s expected since English isn’t his first language so I wouldn’t take his tweets at face value.
My impression is that there is something in the proposal we're not too keen about, maybe a buyback clause. I'd be more comfortable with a sell on clause, which is fair if they're letting him go for cheap. I think Ole is interested or they wouldn't have bothered offering him to us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My impression is that there is something in the proposal we're not too keen about, maybe a buyback clause. I'd be more comfortable with a sell on clause, which is fair if they're letting him go for cheap. I think Ole is interested or they wouldn't have bothered offering him to us.
Agree a sell on clause would be better. Our luck he will have a great season and Real will jump in with a buyback. I would want to be in control of when he moves if he moves at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.