Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

EwanI Ted

I don't necessarily disagree, but then Madrid were able to create quite a ruckus when they were after our goalkeeper as well. Also, we didn't agree to a buyout clause for a talent like Haland so makes no sense to break that policy for a left back. Can't have players coming in through the door already looking for their way out.
I certainly dont agree with the buyout clause. Players come and go, but we need at least some certainty about our squad from one season to the next. A first refusal is a perfectly adequate compromise.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You feel like the only way that we sign this guy now is if his agent pushes for Madrid to not include that buyback clause.

Interesting to see that Fab has tweeted saying we still haven't decided on signing him yet.
People are sucked in by the media. Fab said the player is offered to United, so no confirmation if we are interested. Ornstein also said we never even place bid to Real Madrid.

By putting the two together, player is offered to the club (us included) by likely agent or Real Madrid but we haven't done anything to even make an attempt to sign the player. But then again, we haven't say no.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Signing player will eventually be in the manager's decision as the final decision. Jose is responsible for all the first team signings and Fred is for sure someone he wanted or someone he agreed to sign. This stupid claim that Ed signed players that nobody wants need to stopped. If manager or Jose doesn't want the player, he could say no, why purposely let the club to waste 50m on a player he doesn't want.

Mark Pawelek

If he is not hungry enough to play for us then I trust Ole to not push for this transfer. Getting Telles would be better business.
I'd take any one out of: Mykolenko, Telles, or Reguilon. I think we must get a LB if we're to challenge for the PL and ECL. Mykolenko is obviously the biggest risk but also, potentially the highest ceiling of the 3 because he's youngest.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I'd take any one out of: Mykolenko, Telles, or Reguilon. I think we must get a LB if we're to challenge for the PL and ECL. Mykolenko is obviously the biggest risk but also, potentially the highest ceiling of the 3 because he's youngest.
Tagliafico is available for decent price as well.

OrcaFat

Signing player will eventually be in the manager's decision as the final decision. Jose is responsible for all the first team signings and Fred is for sure someone he wanted or someone he agreed to sign. This stupid claim that Ed signed players that nobody wants need to stopped. If manager or Jose doesn't want the player, he could say no, why purposely let the club to waste 50m on a player he doesn't want.
Who told you that? The noise since SAF and Gill left is that the managers normally didn’t get who they asked for and were given other players instead.

I can’t be certain that our last three managers had power of veto or not. But let’s suppose they did, they are still being told “you can’t have player A or player B but, hey, here’s player Q, it’s him or nobody, you want him?”

It is not a myth that we have recruited badly and it is not a myth that the managers didn’t get most of their preferred targets. It is also not a myth that Ed was involved in transfers. These things are pretty much beyond argument.

Most coaches around the world have to operate under these conditions and none of this excuses the generally poor management of the team itself - the managers have to carry the can there. Nevertheless, the quality of recruitment is very important if you have any design on building and perpetuating success.

With Ole in the mix, there seems to be a more coherent strategy of signing players who really want to come here. Reguilon appears to be a player who would very much rather not come here. Therefore Ole wouldn’t really want him and if we are honestly trying to get him, that would appear to be the hierarchy overruling Ole’s preferred strategy.

Mark Pawelek

Who told you that? The noise since SAF and Gill left is that the managers normally didn’t get who they asked for and were given other players instead.

I can’t be certain that our last three managers had power of veto or not. But let’s suppose they did, they are still being told “you can’t have player A or player B but, hey, here’s player Q, it’s him or nobody, you want him?”

It is not a myth that we have recruited badly and it is not a myth that the managers didn’t get most of their preferred targets. It is also not a myth that Ed was involved in transfers. These things are pretty much beyond argument.

Most coaches around the world have to operate under these conditions and none of this excuses the generally poor management of the team itself - the managers have to carry the can there. Nevertheless, the quality of recruitment is very important if you have any design on building and perpetuating success.

With Ole in the mix, there seems to be a more coherent strategy of signing players who really want to come here. Reguilon appears to be a player who would very much rather not come here. Therefore Ole wouldn’t really want him and if we are honestly trying to get him, that would appear to be the hierarchy overruling Ole’s preferred strategy.
Some good points, but one massive flaw in your argument. Fred cost £52m (1st team starter price), but no one could figure what position we bought him for! In contrast any kid can see we're screaming out for LB; who'd cost us half what we paid for Fred.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Ed himself made statement that the manager has the final say. Even club like West Ham also let the manager to have the final say, Slaven Bilic himself has confirmed this in BT Sport pundit that he had the final say about players transfer. Lot of EPL clubs have different structure, they are football managers not just mere of head coach.

Managers will get what they asked for as long as the manager is asking something that realistic and both clubs/players can reach in agreement. Just because Van Gaal doesn't get his silly unrealistic targets like Thomas Muller, Neymar & Sergio Ramos doesn't mean it's the club or the board fault for not be able to give him the players.

Jose wanted Matic & Lukaku and the club gave him them. He couldn't get Perisic because Inter was asking ridiculous amount for 28 years old winger. If the manager wants someone then if it's reachable then they will get the player. Manager ask for midfield list then they will be given the list as well as the data about the players and it's manager's choice to choose.

Absolutely stupid & unprofessional for manager to act like a spoil brat by throwing big money 50m on the wrong player on purpose just because he can't get the players they want due to the targets being unreachable.

croadyman

Lets go and get Telles after Sancho then if this guy doesn't see his future away from Real Madrid

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah if this guy really loves Madrid that much we should stay clear. Even if we signed him without a buy back clause if he does turn out to be a top player he’s going to kick up a fuss if Real come sniffing around for him in the future. I completely agree with Ole, only sign players who really want to play for United.

jackal&hyde

It's one of the long running excuses made for Mourinhos failure here. Ed has been made this caricature type of CEO that just buys random cool players by himself. The managers past SAF bare the responsibility for the state of the squad they left behind and no one else.

sugar_kane

It's one of the long running excuses made for Mourinhos failure here. Ed has been made this caricature type of CEO that just buys random cool players by himself. The managers past SAF bare the responsibility for the state of the squad they left behind and no one else.
LVG is the ultimate example of this, ain’t no why Ed was scouting out Rojo and Darmian despite Louis’s protestations that he never got the players he wanted.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Not sure if I really buy this one. Mainly seems to have been pushed by Spanish outlets, with anyone worth their salt only saying he's been offered to us.

Think this window is now Sancho or no-one.

acnumber9

The managers past SAF bare the responsibility for the state of the squad they left behind and no one else.
It’s not just them though is it? None of them regularly played Rojo or Darmian for years and yet they get handed extensions to ‘protect’ their value. Same goes for Jones. They’ve been kept because the club can’t get replacements and nobody wants them a because of the ludicrous wages we offered them. That’s down to Woodward.

Mark Pawelek

It’s not just them though is it? None of them regularly played Rojo or Darmian for years and yet they get handed extensions to ‘protect’ their value. Same goes for Jones. They’ve been kept because the club can’t get replacements and nobody wants them a because of the ludicrous wages we offered them. That’s down to Woodward.
I think clubs were interested in Rojo once; but we never took the opportunity to make the deal. Because we don't have a football person controlling transfers. We need someone who understands the thinking of agents, players, and other clubs. Need, someone who aims to do well on their transfers - taken as a whole - rather than seek maximum profit on every player.

LVG is the ultimate example of this, ain’t no why Ed was scouting out Rojo and Darmian despite Louis’s protestations that he never got the players he wanted.
Agree 100%.

If anything, Woodward’s mistakes have been because he’s bought players that managers want.

Lukaku, Miki, Bailly, Matic at the very least under Jose.

red4ever 79

I think clubs were interested in Rojo once; but we never took the opportunity to make the deal. Because we don't have a football person controlling transfers. We need someone who understands the thinking of agents, players, and other clubs. Need, someone who aims to do well on their transfers - taken as a whole - rather than seek maximum profit on every player.
Everton wanted him last summer on deadline day but they only wanted a loan and Utd wanted a sale

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think it’s probable we aren’t prioritising a left-back but if one comes available we will try and sign them. This guy obviously became available at a very decent price and we showed interest but the Madrid buy-back clause made it a non-starter. Fair enough.

acnumber9

Everton wanted him last summer on deadline day but they only wanted a loan and Utd wanted a sale
Yeah, so we kept him on for another few months paying his wages before letting him go on loan. Of course this was only necessary as we gave him a new contract so we could sell him. It’s Van Gaal’s fault we signed him but there’s only one person to blame for the fact that he’s still here 6 years later.

sugar_kane

Agree 100%.

If anything, Woodward’s mistakes have been because he’s bought players that managers want.

Lukaku, Miki, Bailly, Matic at the very least under Jose.
Aye, Woodward's blinding adherence to gunning for each manager's targets is why our squad ending up being such a mess.

That's why we need a Director of Football, though that's a whole other thread....

Marcus

Yeah if this guy really loves Madrid that much we should stay clear. Even if we signed him without a buy back clause if he does turn out to be a top player he’s going to kick up a fuss if Real come sniffing around for him in the future. I completely agree with Ole, only sign players who really want to play for United.
I agree.

croadyman

The problem is we don't know whether or not that is the case, yes we should absolutely prioritise Sancho over anything else but still need to keep an eye on this LB situation as well because Ole desperately needs another left footer rather than just hoping Williams can do a job there.

My gut feeling is that Reguilon is the preferred target but if we can't find a way around the situation then expect us to move for Telles.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I don’t get why people care about the buy back.

Madrid have Mendy and Marcelo, let’s say they want Regulion back when Marcelos finished, they aren’t going to spend 50m on a back up left back.

Even if they did we’d have the money to reassess and reinvest. By that point we could even have someone in our academy (ie the young Spanish full backs we’ve bought) breaking through.

I don’t see Dortmund shitting it about Halaands buy out.

red thru&thru

Madrid have Mendy and Marcelo, let’s say they want Regulion back when Marcelos finished, they aren’t going to spend 50m on a back up left back.

Even if they did we’d have the money to reassess and reinvest. By that point we could even have someone in our academy (ie the young Spanish full backs we’ve bought) breaking through.

Because we want to set the price for our own players, not another club.

patty123

Well to be blunt, unlike BD we are not, nor do we see ourselves as a stepping stone for players to use to get game time while waiting for another club to come in for them.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
We should sign him based purely on the fact that there's an oven-ready tune to sing his name to in the form of Papillon by Editors:

Made his escape
fecked off from Spain, Reguilon

Flies down the wing
Takes on his man, then he’s gone

He doesn’t even get stitch

Our Reguilon,

HE DOESN’T EVEN GET STITCH

OrcaFat

Ed himself made statement that the manager has the final say. Even club like West Ham also let the manager to have the final say, Slaven Bilic himself has confirmed this in BT Sport pundit that he had the final say about players transfer. Lot of EPL clubs have different structure, they are football managers not just mere of head coach.

Managers will get what they asked for as long as the manager is asking something that realistic and both clubs/players can reach in agreement. Just because Van Gaal doesn't get his silly unrealistic targets like Thomas Muller, Neymar & Sergio Ramos doesn't mean it's the club or the board fault for not be able to give him the players.

Jose wanted Matic & Lukaku and the club gave him them. He couldn't get Perisic because Inter was asking ridiculous amount for 28 years old winger. If the manager wants someone then if it's reachable then they will get the player. Manager ask for midfield list then they will be given the list as well as the data about the players and it's manager's choice to choose.

Absolutely stupid & unprofessional for manager to act like a spoil brat by throwing big money 50m on the wrong player on purpose just because he can't get the players they want due to the targets being unreachable.
So you’re happy with Ed and his henchmen? I’m not.

I think you’re taking too much of that on face value. There’s a huge difference between getting the players the coach wants and getting extra bodies in. As I said, quite likely someone such as Fred was not what we wanted or needed but he did in fact improve the squad.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We should sign him based purely on the fact that there's an oven-ready tune to sing his name to in the form of Papillon by Editors:

Made his escape
fecked off from Spain, Reguilon

Flies down the wing

He doesn’t even get stitch

Our Reguilon,

HE DOESN’T EVEN GET STITCH

The feck does he doesn't even get stitch mean though?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you’re happy with Ed and his henchmen? I’m not.
Not sure why is it matter with what I posted. The point is that manager also involved and has responsibility for our signings, the manager is given the power to have the final say.

I think you’re taking too much of that on face value. There’s a huge difference between getting the players the coach wants and getting extra bodies in. As I said, quite likely someone such as Fred was not what we wanted or needed but he did in fact improve the squad.
I don't, on the other side you are being sucked in too much of what the media says.

Getting extra bodies to improve the squad & getting players the coach wants to improve the squad, there is no difference between them. The purpose is the same which to improve the squad. You don't just spend 50m on just mere of extra bodies that doesn't improve the squad like Bebe or Obertan signing. 50m is lot of money for the club to spend on just mere of extra bodies which shown this year that we withdrew from Gabriel & Badiashile which cost less than 50m.

tomaldinho1

Why not just put a £50m buyback clause in. If he's good enough to be bought back, he's been a good signing and we're making money selling him back to them. Either that or just loan him with option to buy. We need extra bodies there, I don't personally care if his heart in is Madrid in the same way Sheffield United didn't care that Hendo wasn't going to stay. It's hardly like were negotiating for the next Ronaldo or Messi, we just need some solid options at LB.

ReallyUSA

Just to echo the same point everyone said and vent... feck it. Last thing we need is a player getting minutes, becoming top tier, and then dashing off the moment Madrid comes. Especially there are other options on the table, and aren't so adamant about how much they love their selling club.

Status
Not open for further replies.