Sergio Reguilon signs for United

stevoc

Not that Reguilon has been amazing, but this must mean Malacia is close to a comeback so? We can't be gambling Shaw will keep fit with leaving just Dalot to cover while that screws our Right sided attack?
Why would that screw the right side of our attack?

Telsim

Between him and Malacia, Reguilon is the better player. Malacia is kind of good defensively, but offers absolutely nothing in attack. Which is something of a problem when it comes to us. But I guess you can only have two loans.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will it cost us money to send Reguilon back?

bstb3

Why would that screw the right side of our attack?
Well if we play Dalot on the left to cover that position, it means a partnership of (likely) Antony and AWB. For all his defensive qualities, AWB offers less in attack in my opinion than Dalot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Filled a squad role for a bit, did ok.

But when Shaw is out and we didn't automatically start him, that speaks volumes.

Telsim

Filled a squad role for a bit, did ok.

But when Shaw is out and we didn't automatically start him, that speaks volumes.
Not that Reguilon was pulling up trees, but I wouldn't use this manager's selection as any sort of benchmark.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Between him and Malacia, Reguilon is the better player. Malacia is kind of good defensively, but offers absolutely nothing in attack. Which is something of a problem when it comes to us. But I guess you can only have two loans.
Malacia probably has some improvement left in him if he comes back strong and then he’ll be a good player. He’s cheaper too and he can be sold in a year or two if someone better comes along. Reguilon peaked a few years ago. He’s a fairly good player but Spurs wouldn’t be selling him if he was all that. It makes sense to let him go back and sort out his future long term. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Saudi.

Bwuk

I’d of happily signed him and move Malacia on in the summer tbh.

stevoc

Well if we play Dalot on the left to cover that position, it means a partnership of (likely) Antony and AWB. For all his defensive qualities, AWB offers less in attack in my opinion than Dalot.
To be fair it's hard to offer less than zero.

Wan Bissaka is no Cafu that's for sure but then neither is Mr never looks up and just smashes the ball as hard as he can over the box.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I liked him, wish him all the best.

Makes sense to end the loan though.

James35

Liked him and he showed passion and pride to play for us by what I could see. I don’t rate Malacia at all so was hoping we kept him as I don’t see Shaw staying fit and Dalot is better on the right.

dutchred

It's possible that ETH will promote Amass, certainly one of the best young players we have at the moment

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How do people still think that Dalot, a right back, will play ahead of natural left back we brought in as emergency?

Sergio will play a lot of games, that is why he was brought in ffs.
Got an idea for a new thread - opinions that you were confident would be right, but somehow turned out wrong...

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Watching him live on his debut (was it Forest?) He looked like Roberto Carlos without the leg muscles. I will always retain fond memories of Sergio for that game alone, thanks for your service

KeanoMagicHat

Another nothing player, must have a great agent. Looks the part to be fair, but superficial, not good enough defensively or offensively. There's a reason why he's been at 3 or 4 clubs and nobody keeps him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was quite good considering he played sparingly. One of our better loans imo, although ETH obviously didn't want to play him unless forced to.

Socratic

He was quite good considering he played sparingly. One of our better loans imo, although ETH obviously didn't want to play him unless forced to.
Nail on the head.

Reguilon was a long-term scouting target (we couldn't come to terms with Madrid on buy back clause) which meant ETH didn't want him and then avoided playing him if he could lest he given some reflected glory to the Utd scouting team. Playing Dalot and then Lindelof at LB ahead of him was disgraceful.

Reguilon is probably the best reserve left back we've had the club since Heinze deputised for Evra.

Overhaul FC

Surprised we didn't keep him for longer, even offering him a deal in the summer if he had stayed fit with us until then.

His attacking runs and quality made a difference. We haven't had a good attacking left back for a long time. Don't @ me Luke Shaw fans....

He coasts through games season after season when compared to top class modern fullbacks.

TrailMonkey

I liked him. Probably the only Utd player I’ve seen in 10 years who can actually cross a ball from out wide.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Surely we could've waited until after the Spurs game to return him? Watch him somehow put in a MOTM performance against us now.

Amir

Surely we could've waited until after the Spurs game to return him? Watch him somehow put in a MOTM performance against us now.
It's Reguilon, not Roberto Carlos.

I suspect we would have had some sort of deadline date to tell Spurs if we were sending him back.

CustardSplat

He was a decent backup and did well when called upon, and is probably unlucky to have not got more minutes on the pitch. That said, for whatever reason, ETH didn't seem keen so returning to Spurs is probably for the best.