Serhou Guirassy

Lee565

17M is worth a gamble, if he stinks, we can just sell him at 10M
This, all too often we overlook these type of low risk transfers and in a day and age where 70 million get you hojlund and 100 million gets you nunez, all it would take is for him to score 5 - 10 goals for us and we would get our money back if he is underwhelming

TheGame

We did not need Mount stop kidding urself and the price was well reported for Osimhen.

Yes we needed a midfielder agree. Not in the mould of Mount though clearly and we quite obviously needed a striker a lot more
I never said we needed Mount, we needed a midfielder which is clearly evident from the performances this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I never said we needed Mount, we needed a midfielder which is clearly evident from the performances this season.
So what you are saying is we could have not signed Mount and Hojlund and signed Osimhen like I said.

Clearly evident from the past 18 months a top striker was more important.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Nobody's joining us until this Sir Jim situation is settled and new director of football arrives.

We should be more worried about why Sir Jim involvement is not getting announced and considering how late it is, January window seems like a no, for us

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Nobody's joining us until this Sir Jim situation is settled and new director of football arrives.

We should be more worried about why Sir Jim involvement is not getting announced and considering how late it is, January window seems like a no, for us
Yeah think SJR will be announced but they will delay things until after January to avoid spending until the Summer.
Then with the new scouting/management team will need setting up, and the direction they will take the club in. Hopefully this is being done in the backgorund already and a list of players drawn up and analyzed rather than a ground zero approach and a 6 month delay.

TheGame

So what you are saying is we could have not signed Mount and Hojlund and signed Osimhen like I said.

Clearly evident from the past 18 months a top striker was more important.
No im not saying that all!!!! Goodness me. We needed a midfielder and I believe we should have signed a CB instead of a keeper. We could never afford Oshimen. That’s my view. Clearly different for yours.

JeffFromHK

This, all too often we overlook these type of low risk transfers and in a day and age where 70 million get you hojlund and 100 million gets you nunez, all it would take is for him to score 5 - 10 goals for us and we would get our money back if he is underwhelming
It reminds me of an interesting phenomenon, when you are given two options:
Option A: you throw $10 in, you have 90% of getting $13 back
Option B: you throw $10 in, you have 0.1% of getting $5000

most people would choose option B, though statistically, option A is more likely to give you a profit and Option B makes you lose money

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

most people would choose option B, though statistically, option A is more likely to give you a profit and Option B makes you lose money
But in this hypothetical situation you've put forward, do you get anything back from option B?

Because even if you get back $3 then it's not so bad and you've speculated to accumulate, which is fundamentally what any transfer is.

No one knows how a player will settle into a new club, you can speculate based on history, stats and personality, but realistically you have no idea.

Any transfers a gamble, and sometimes you have to gamble on the bigger win.

Zed 101

I would sign a training dummy and play him instead of Martial and would still be more mobile, so an actual player would be a bonus, shame we don't have anyone ready to go from the academy, I mean Hugill is probably the best option and he is not the answer

United888

We did not need Mount stop kidding urself and the price was well reported for Osimhen.

Yes we needed a midfielder agree. Not in the mould of Mount though clearly and we quite obviously needed a striker a lot more
Given the way how McTominay has been deployed in this team, fair to say that box to box role is actually the role that Mount would be best at. Once he is gel with the team and recover from injury, hopefully he will prove the doubters wrong.

And also I believe it was reported the manager also wanted two strikers last summer, the experienced and the young one.

ti vu

This situation is neither those two options.

There is no guarantee on how successful a journeyman striker from Bundesliga would achieve in PL. Burnley paid around 14mil for Weghorst and he got total of 4 goals and a penalty goal in penalty shoot out in his time in England (2 PL goals for Burnley and 2 goal and penalty goal for us in cup competitions). If there is another Haaland, you pay whatever it takes and because guarantee big profit.

It's a gamble without worked out probability.

Last edited:

Hackman2210

Just watched a highlight reel - lots of keeper errors in there. Shite defending but some composed finishing all the same. He looks good with service, lets see how fecking good he looks with no service and wingers who cant cross......

Bobski

Some very nice, composed finishing in a 3 min video I watched of him this season. Only footage I have ever seen of him. How is his all round game because we need a forward who can hold the ball, create and link with those around him. Another one dimensional player would be dumb.

Devil81

Never using Youtube to judge a player again and I don't trust our scouting department to make a judgement on a player anymore.

27 years of age playing for an average German side. Hit's form and all of a sudden were after him, stinks of midtable to me.

ROFLUTION

Just watched a highlight reel - lots of keeper errors in there. Shite defending but some composed finishing all the same. He looks good with service, lets see how fecking good he looks with no service and wingers who cant cross......
Every striker we’ll sign will suffer from this really. Not easy being a striker here. Impossible things are asked.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Never using Youtube to judge a player again and I don't trust our scouting department to make a judgement on a player anymore.

27 years of age playing for an average German side. Hit's form and all of a sudden were after him, stinks of midtable to me.
Stuttgart arent average at all this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Depends how you use YouTube. If you use highlights then shame on you! If you watch all touch videos though, you'd see some players like Hojlund for example were always going to struggle.

Red Rash

Unfortunately with how we are playing we are at midtable club level. Honestly I don't mind this signing if he is relatively cheap. At best he can be a good option for us and get us goals, at worst he won't be able to adapt and will join the list of transfer flops in the past years but at least not an insanely expensive one.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

& yet we complain about not finding gems like Julian Alvarez. He may be 27 but that doesn’t mean he’s shite.

Mainoldo

& yet we complain about not finding gems like Julian Alvarez. He may be 27 but that doesn’t mean he’s shite.
Alvarez was young. You’re also dealing with anomalies. Rather we just get an Ivan Toney instead of these unrealistic shite players. We have enough wannabes thanks to this managers scouting.

Pronewbie

Peep
Alvarez was young. You’re also dealing with anomalies. Rather we just get an Ivan Toney instead of these unrealistic shite players. We have enough wannabes thanks to this managers scouting.
Yeah I like Ivan Toney and he also seems like the archetypal forward Ten Hag likes at Ajax. Surely he'll be a good acquisition regardless of who our next manager is.

Edit: Unfortunately I've just read a couple of his quotes from the past month or so and it seems like we'll be snubbed.

Mwooyo

I don't see any benefits to signing this dude. We don't create many chances for our CFs...he is one of those CFs who creates his own chances so he will struggle at manutd. We need an Anthony replacement like Olise over buying a CF midseason. We are out of Europe and the League Cup...we don't have that many games...I think even putting that 17m as a deposit for someone like Todibo is a better use of that money. The biggest mistake we made this summer was to spend 60m on Mount...he is a good player but we didn't need him that badly that we should blow 60m on him...especially given that there were lots of cheaper options we could have gone for

Coops73

Wasn’t Drogba 26/27 when he joined Chelsea, if I recall he wasn’t exactly a household name (waits for some wise cafe footballing sage to tell me otherwise) he wasn’t too shabby either.

I’m not saying this guy will be on the same level but for 20m might be worth the risk and you just never know.

Dannn411

We must stay away. We are not nearly as progressive as Stutttgart and their competition in the Buli is not nearly as stiff as ours in the PL. This is very much a false image.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Seems like a panic buy. Our record from buying in the Bundesligue is poor. We need to stay away.
The CAF is wonderful.

Every buy is a panic buy.
Every buy (ducking weirdly) is a backup/sub player.
Every buy is too expensive.
Every buy is a star player.
We want gems but write off everyone who isn’t a household name.

God it’s tiring to read the same old shite. I hardly ever see a majority happy CAF. It’s always in the mud.

Guess that’s indicative of the feeling of the club at the moment.

soapythecat

The CAF is wonderful.

God it’s tiring to read the same old shite. I hardly ever see a majority happy CAF. It’s always in the mud.

Give your head a wobble pal. It’s one player who I don’t think is worth buying.
Our current malaise has certainly brought folk like you to the front.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Seems like a panic buy. Our record from buying in the Bundesligue is poor. We need to stay away.
Martial is on a 250k a week which means that he earns 14m per year. If we get rid off him now even for a free then we would be paying a big chunk of Guirassy's fee. A goalscoring striker might tip the balance that would decide whether we make it to top 4 or not. We need CL qualification for FFP purposes or we're royally screwed. On the other hand if he fails then we can always recoup most of the money back assuming we didn't offer him a silly contract.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The CAF is wonderful.

We have 2 strikers at the club, one who can't score in the EPL and the other one who jogs on the pitch. Alternatively we can move England's sweet heart upfront thus swapping the French jogger with England's jogger. So yes it is a panic buy especially since our top scorer is a Championship level midfielder. We are literally panicking for goals.

But, its a panic buy that makes sense especially if it means getting rid of Martial whose on a 14m a year contract. Let's hope we don't screw things up by offering Guirassy a silly contract as well

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

We have 2 strikers at the club, one who can't score in the EPL and the other one who jogs on the pitch. Alternatively we can move England's sweet heart upfront thus swapping the French jogger with England's jogger. So yes it is a panic buy especially since our top scorer is a Championship level midfielder. We are literally panicking for goals.
Not sure why you felt the need to describe him in that way when he receives more online abuse than any other PL footballer bar Maguire.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Vedad Ibisevic, scored 18 in the first half of the season in the 2008/09 BL season and never managed to replicate that form later in his career (though he didn't play the rest of that season because of an ACL injury, so one could argue that derailed his career).

Papiss Cisse, 13 goals in 14 games when he first came to Newcastle, we all know what happened after.

Generally, I would prefer we don't judge players based on 6 month purple patches, especially when their previous career doesn't show any similar performance. In Europe we've had recent 'one season wonders' who then haven't shown similar results afterwards, within the BL you also have Jovic and Kolo Muani with similar great single seasons leading to big transfers.

One difference with Guirassy is the low risk in terms of price. 17.5m EUR is pennies in this day and age, especially within the EPL, and I don't think he'll command an insane wage as well. In that sense, one could say it's worth a punt considering the guy is in insane form right now. One further issue though is that he'll be at the AFCON in January I think.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Vedad Ibisevic, scored 18 in the first half of the season in the 2008/09 BL season and never managed to replicate that form later in his career (though he didn't play the rest of that season because of an ACL injury, so one could argue that derailed his career).

Papiss Cisse, 13 goals in 14 games when he first came to Newcastle, we all know what happened after.

Generally, I would prefer we don't judge players based on 6 month purple patches, especially when their previous career doesn't show any similar performance. In Europe we've had recent 'one season wonders' who then haven't shown similar results afterwards, within the BL you also have Jovic and Kolo Muani with similar great single seasons leading to big transfers.

One difference with Guirassy is the low risk in terms of price. 17.5m EUR is pennies in this day and age, especially within the EPL, and I don't think he'll command an insane wage as well. In that sense, one could say it's worth a punt considering the guy is in insane form right now. One further issue though is that he'll be at the AFCON in January I think.
Those were the days. that period for Hoffeinheim was fun.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That was a fun team. Demba Ba, Chinedu Obasi, Luis Gustavo, Carlos Eduardo, Sedad Salihovic. That was an exciting front 6.
Yeah, I used to follow them a bit for that reason. I remember Olic having a scrap in a game with one of the Brazilians - may have been Eduardo and getting sent off. Absolutely wrong guy to get into a fight with.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Stuttgart is actually excellent this season. They've created the secondmost chances in the league only behind Bayern.

I think if he actually played for an average team, he would fit you better as he would have proven he doesn't depend on service as much. But Guirassy scores like he does because Stuttgart creates great chances for him all the time

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Stuttgart is actually excellent this season. They've created the secondmost chances in the league only behind Bayern.

I think if he actually played for an average team, he would fit you better as he would have proven he doesn't depend on service as much. But Guirassy scores like he does because Stuttgart creates great chances for him all the time
To further prove this point: Stuttgart are scoring lots lof goals, no matter if Guirassy, Undav or both together play up front for them.

croadyman

Yeah not the guy to take pressure off Rasmus shoulders as I thought so who is