Serie A 90's draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
A bit of luck but if the other three are like three 3-year olds saying "my toys, no share".... what can you do? :)
I'm pretty sure @harms just hoped to get either as the absolute priority but didn't expect both.

Problem for the others though is, once blocked, how do you move away from MvB-Baresi knowing someone is gonna get both?

You don't.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm pretty sure @harms just hoped to get either as the absolute priority but didn't expect both.
That’s what I think as well.

Obviously Davids / Rijkaard is an unbelievable set of picks (so this is really picking at straws) but getting one of them and Rui Costa would probably have been better for his side.

That said, I think he still made the right strategic move as there’s no way he could risk Davids / Rijkaard both getting snapped up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Problem for the others though is, once blocked, how do you move away from MvB-Baresi knowing someone is gonna get both?

You don't.
I was hoping to overcome anyone who dared to challenge me for Rijkaard/Davids as I wasn't afraid of getting only one reinforcement — while no one else needed to pick a midfielder that much. The only significant threat were 2mufc — imagine Davids on the left of their carre magique :drool: But even they were too tempted by the perspective of getting Baresi/van Basten instead of Tudor/Bierhoff

harms

Staff
That’s what I think as well.

Obviously Davids / Rijkaard is an unbelievable set of picks (so this is really picking at straws) but getting one of them and Rui Costa would probably have been better for his side.

That said, I think he still made the right strategic move as there’s no way he could risk Davids / Rijkaard both getting snapped up.
Got tired of the constant Seedorf debate — I've already made my views clear to everyone and the repetitiveness annoyed me.
Plus, as you said, I couldn't have risked losing one or the other in case my picked failed in the first round.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nice work on the pickups harms, but it's not over till the fat sinchy sings.

antohan

I was hoping to overcome anyone who dared to challenge me for Rijkaard/Davids as I wasn't afraid of getting only one reinforcement — while no one else needed to pick a midfielder that much. The only significant threat were 2mufc — imagine Davids on the left of their carre magique :drool: But even they were too tempted by the perspective of getting Baresi/van Basten instead of Tudor/Bierhoff
:lol: shots fired! But how about next to Matthäus as well?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
wow harms dominated that reinforcement round.
Surprised 2mufc/Invict didn't go for Davids or Nedved at all. I thought they would definitely go for one of those.
Also slightly surprised that neither enigma or moby/pat switched up to try for Baggio. I know his positions weren't priority but he would have upgraded both of their attacks significantly IMO. Makes me sad to see no Roberto in the Semis :(

Also a little surprised three teams played chicken for Baresi and no one switched to Nesta. Could be a costly gamble there.

harms

Staff
Also a little surprised three teams played chicken for Baresi and no one switched to Nesta. Could be a costly gamble there.
There were three passes in the first round — mine were quite obvious, and it was highly likely that Moby/Pat picked a CB... so when others considered changing Baresi to Kohler/Nesta they've had a 50/50 chance that they'd pick an already picked player

Moby

Dick
There were three passes in the first round — mine were quite obvious, and it was highly likely that Moby/Pat picked a CB... so when others considered changing Baresi to Kohler/Nesta they've had a 50/50 chance that they'd pick an already picked player
Nice predictive logic there harms.

We just really wanted Baresi.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I wouldn't have looked at it like that.
For me with one pass for Moby/Pat I wouldn't have instantly thought CB. For your passes I would thought it was two of (Rijkaard, Davids, Rui Costa, Nedved) and for Moby and Pats first pass they might have gone for a midfielder/CB combo.

Either way I'd rather take a 33-66% than play chicken. But I have a different philosophy than some drafters I think

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
wow harms dominated that reinforcement round.
Surprised 2mufc/Invict didn't go for Davids or Nedved at all. I thought they would definitely go for one of those.
Also slightly surprised that neither enigma or moby/pat switched up to try for Baggio. I know his positions weren't priority but he would have upgraded both of their attacks significantly IMO. Makes me sad to see no Roberto in the Semis :(

You know my stance on Baggio, but Mancini almost defines our team at this stage (for me anyway). He's good enough to win a final IMO, played in Serie A for the entire decade, and had as influential a peak season as any attacking player in the draft. If I was building from scratch I'd take Baggio as I adore him, but replacing Mancini would have felt a bit wrong TBH.

As for the Baresi thing, switching to Nesta would have been a big gamble in itself, as I thought Invictus/2mufc0 were highly likely to switch to him as a Tudor replacement. The really shite outcome for us would have been for Invictus/2mufc0 and ourselves to block each other on Nesta, and allow Enigma to stroll off with Baresi. As it is we came out of the reinforcements relatively well. The big surprise for me was that no one went for Zanetti at all, as he'd have been a significant upgrade for everyone barring ourselves.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You know my stance on Baggio, but Mancini almost defines our team at this stage (for me anyway). He's good enough to win a final IMO, played in Serie A for the entire decade, and had as influential a peak season as any attacking player in the draft. If I was building from scratch I'd take Baggio as I adore him, but replacing Mancini would have felt a bit wrong TBH.

As for the Baresi thing, switching to Nesta would have been a big gamble in itself, as I thought Invictus/2mufc0 were highly likely to switch to him as a Tudor replacement. The really shite outcome for us would have been for Invictus/2mufc0 and ourselves to block each other on Nesta, and allow Enigma to stroll off with Baresi. As it is we came out of the reinforcements relatively well. The big surprise for me was that no one went for Zanetti at all, as he'd have been a significant upgrade for everyone barring ourselves.
As I said I probably think different to some drafters. If I had your side I would have taken Baggio+CB first round and then depending on opponent's team either replaced Mancini or Chiesa. but clearly my move Baggio around idea didn't work last round so who am I to say? :lol:
Zanetti yes he would have upgraded any other side.

Pat_Mustard

As I said I probably think different to some drafters. If I had your side I would have taken Baggio+CB first round and then depending on opponent's team either replaced Mancini or Chiesa. but clearly my move Baggio around idea didn't work last round so who am I to say? :lol:
Zanetti yes he would have upgraded any other side.
:lol: Nah, you built very well around Baggio IMO and were unlucky to be eliminated. Honestly if we had both Baggio and Mancini in our current squad it would have to be either/or in the starting XI I think. Bearing in mind that we have Veron providing a tonne of playmaking ability from CM already, Mancini/Chiesa/Batistuta and Baggio/Chiesa/Batistuta are both better attacks than Baggio/Mancini/Batistuta imo.

Starting from scratch I'd have taken Baggio over any other player, but I love Mancini in this team and in the overall draft theme.

antohan

Is right.

Nice predictive logic there harms.

We just really wanted Baresi.
He mostly meant the other two. You probably knew Nesta was still there but

1. Wanted Baresi,
2. Didn't want others to get Baresi
3. Didn't really need Nesta

In that order.

I wouldn't have looked at it like that.
For me with one pass for Moby/Pat I wouldn't have instantly thought CB. For your passes I would thought it was two of (Rijkaard, Davids, Rui Costa, Nedved) and for Moby and Pats first pass they might have gone for a midfielder/CB combo.

Either way I'd rather take a 33-66% than play chicken. But I have a different philosophy than some drafters I think
You managed to pick a sheep keeper after getting blocked on three different relatively sheepish GK attempts.

#stratego

antohan

Agreed. One huge thing you had going for you IMO was theme-wise Mancini punches at final weight, same with Almeyda tbh.

I for one appreciate you didn't go for pandering to the masses where you clearly don't need to.

Mind you, if you got Baresi that would mean no Fusi and at that stage you would have to wonder if Mancini-Verón wasn't leaving too much heavylifting on Almeyda's shoulders.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You managed to pick a sheep keeper after getting blocked on three different relatively sheepish GK attempts.

#stratego
Only sheep draft team of mine I remember is this QF side (my favorite drafted side) :wenger::

Pat_Mustard

Agreed. One huge thing you had going for you IMO was theme-wise Mancini punches at final weight, same with Almeyda tbh.

I for one appreciate you didn't go for pandering to the masses where you clearly don't need to.

Mind you, if you got Baresi that would mean no Fusi and at that stage you would have to wonder if Mancini-Verón wasn't leaving too much heavylifting on Almeyda's shoulders.
Cheers Anto. On the failed Baresi upgrade, the reason we wanted him so much is because we felt he could replicate Fusi's ability to step into midfield. It would have been a bit of a departure from his Milan role when we didn't have possession, but still well within his skillset. Nesta didn't really fit the bill in the same way, so I'm happy to stick with Fusi.

antohan

Cheers Anto. On the failed Baresi upgrade, the reason we wanted him so much is because we felt he could replicate Fusi's ability to step into midfield. It would have been a bit of a departure from his Milan role when we didn't have possession, but still well within his skillset. Nesta didn't really fit the bill in the same way, so I'm happy to stick with Fusi.
Why would you hire Baresi and then ask him to play like Fusi? Which of you two is DaveM?

idmanager

Nesta is pretty much the closest non-Libero to fill in Baresi's shoes.
In drafts, sometimes these things get quite static w.r.t player roles, but when first Nesta started coming into prominence, he felt like the perfect replacement for Baresi.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Ok will start soon.