Television Shōgun (FX Networks series) - premieres February 27, 2024

didz

He's fantastic.
An hour after the game Yabushige twisting himself into knots trying to find the right thing to say to Toranaga randomly popped into my head and gave me a chuckle. In my book, that makes him an absolutely brilliant character.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Five episodes in..knowing neither book nor older tv series: quite entertaining and intriguing but alas, can‘t really stand blackthorn. Much too much screentime for the lad, what a pity.

Also not a fan of the heavily usage of the fisheye lens. The rest is top notch.

the_cliff

He does give the 'ahh shit here we go' impression every time he's on screen. :lol:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Five episodes in..knowing neither book nor older tv series: quite entertaining and intriguing but alas, can‘t really stand blackthorn. Much too much screentime for the lad, what a pity.

Also not a fan of the heavily usage of the fisheye lens. The rest is top notch.
At least you have to admit his voice is pretty epic. Im jealous. Instead of that ill live with my Barry White voice.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Recently started to watch this show and that also stood out to me. For being the main character I think he's a bad actor, other than that have enjoyed it a lot.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
At least you have to admit his voice is pretty epic. Im jealous. Instead of that ill live with my Barry White voice.
First two scenes I thought they went totally Rick Grimes but they‘ve gone full Tom Hardy with him. Doesn‘t help that the character is written less than stellar. Always raising eyebrows to how they treat their women while he abandoned his with two kids for seeing „the horizon“.. :lol:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Always raising eyebrows to how they treat their women while he abandoned his with two kids for seeing „the horizon“.. :lol:
I forgot about that detail :lol:

This might be the best example of a great TV show with a shit protagonist. I remember liking the first seasons of Orange Is The New Black but hating the protagonist. Besides that there's not really anyone else who sticks out. I can think of shows where the protagonist is bland or simply serves as a vessel to drive the story forward. But being outright annoying in an otherwise great show? Now that is rare!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've not read this thread for fear of spoilers. Can I get a verdict whether this is worth a watch? The strong opening IMDB rating has caught my attention.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've not read this thread for fear of spoilers. Can I get a verdict whether this is worth a watch? The strong opening IMDB rating has caught my attention.
It’s not max ‘HBO good’, but it’s peak ‘FX good’. Definitely worth a watch with a lot of talent on display.

sport2793

It’s not max ‘HBO good’, but it’s peak ‘FX good’. Definitely worth a watch with a lot of talent on display.
IMDB disagrees with this, although I thought the last episode was maybe the worst one of the season. We’ll see how it finishes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fantastic episode. The acting to convey the intensity & tension is superb.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wow, what an episode. The facial acting by Hiroyuki Sanada in THAT scene was unbelievable.

Simbo

The pacing of this is such a god damned tease, its masterful though.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The pacing of this is such a god damned tease, its masterful though.
Agreed. They do an excellent job to keep you guessing. I felt I saw the latest twist coming from a mile away and yet somehow they got me to seriously doubt that theory until the very end of the last episode.

Chumpsbechumps

He does give the 'ahh shit here we go' impression every time he's on screen. :lol:
Yeh, and he’s a really cute character that reads between the lines, feel like he always knows what’s going on. He’s a survivor.

I loved when your man’s head was sent back to him from Ishido and he smiled. He knew that his fate was decided and that he basically had to commit to Toranaga

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Great show. Hiromatsu's suicide was so hard to watch but I had guessed the twist by then.

I don't mind Cosmo Jarvis, but his accent has definitely kept changing throughout :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Oh I just realized Blackthorne is the guy from the flashbacks in Raised by Wolves. And by realized I mean I looked at his Wikipedia article.

I think he's doing a great job.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Oh I just realized Blackthorne is the guy from the flashbacks in Raised by Wolves. And by realized I mean I looked at his Wikipedia article.

I think he's doing a great job.
He's a good actor, great in an Irish film called Calm with Horses, too, I just don't think he's nailed the accent in this.

Most of the performances have been top notch, they nailed the casting. Had never heard of Anna Sawai but she's been superb.

RedDevilQuebecois

He's a good actor, great in an Irish film called Calm with Horses, too, I just don't think he's nailed the accent in this.

Most of the performances have been top notch, they nailed the casting. Had never heard of Anna Sawai but she's been superb.
She's been great. Before Shōgun, Anna Sawai played the role of the main protagonist in the modern-day timeline of Monarch: legacy of Monsters, which is a series that fills the blanks in the Godzilla universe.

Phil Jones Face

The nuances of the whole honour system is fascinating.

Even when I think I'm being big brained and see what's coming, I don't.