Sheep draft - Raees vs Joga Bonito

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skizzo

Formation

4-3-3

Analysis of opponent’s setup:

His team is perfectly placed to play on the counter. Cattenacio defence with rock solid defenders (when Hierro is your weakest ‘defender’) you know you’re doing something right at the back. That said, none of his full backs are great in an attacking sense. Burgnich played as a Bergomi-esque right back in the Le Grande Inter side – basically a 3rd CB who never got forward and Ashley Cole is one of the most overrated attacking full back of the modern era. A world class defensive full back but going forwards he was distinctly average.

His midfield is solid as feck, if I had managed to secure a LB and move Breitner into DM – it would have been a titanic midfield tussle, as it is… he wins the midfield battle in my opinion. Up front, we both have Serie A legends up front and fantastic widemen but upon closer analysis, I would argue I have the much better attack man for man. Keizer is seen as second to Cruyff, some say he was better than Cruyff at his peak. Vieri is no match for Batigol, and Dzajic is competition for the likes of Garrincha.. he was not a Gento/Czibor/Giggs i.e. a top winger in a top class set up… He was the Ronaldinho, Best of his teams, the mercurial wing wizard who controlled the destiny of sides he played in. The best left footed winger of all time in my opinion.

Playing Style

I will be looking to sit back mostly myself (with the occasional high press to force them into mistakes) and the role of Boban/Effenberg is key. They have to be disciplined because if they play gung-ho, Luisito Suarez will dominate the game. He can’t be kicked out of the game either because he is one of the greatest 10/8’s to play the game of all time… the plan is to just suffocate the play by getting bodies back in midfield, sit tight and try to reduce Suarez’s impact on the game.

Hagi is being given complete freedom on the ball, he will come deep to playmake and be a 10 too. I am going with the 1990 younger Hagi as he has more legs, more dribbling ability and he is more of a threat on the counter. Mascherano alone will not keep him quiet, it will take Schuster and Mascherano to keep Hagi quiet.

My defence is extremely comfortable on the ball, the full backs will be given licence to get forward at opportune moments. It will never be both of them at the same time, but I trust them to read the situation and leave 3 back at the minimum at all times. Gerets and Breitner can both score crucial goals and are quality passers… his defence is not as technically gifted, it is agricultural in comparison.

Dzajic will always look to hug the touchline and Keizer is given more freedom to roam. Both are complete wingers, capable of scoring and supplying. Batistuta has never been surrounded by such complementary and brilliant attacking team mates, he will be an absolute menace in this game.

How my defence will cope

I have two of the greatest full-backs of all time, he has two brilliant wingers (Czibor is an all time great) so it comes down to peoples own opinions on how it will go. I tend to find top defenders win out more often than not unless the winger is Garrincha, Best or Dzajic (watch a video of an old Dzajic taking on Camacho).

Vieri is a solid striker but I don’t think he holds a candle to the best. He’s rugged and can be very dangerous but Vasovic and Carvalho can use their intelligence to capitalise on his technique. They are a cerebral CB pairing but are capable of being tough and cynical if need be.

Summary of strengths/weaknesses

More technically gifted outfit in all areas of the pitch

Stronger characters in attack (match-winners)

Weaker midfield

Better full backs but weaker CB pairing (marginally)

Team Raees

Team Joga

DEFENSE

M.SCHWARZER, a reliable keeper with good shot stopping skills and aerial ability, which would come handy in nullifying the Dzajic-Batistuta cross-header combo.

T.BURGNICH, a rock solid defender, who is equally adept at RCB and RB roles, has a simple defensive role on the right against winger Dzajic. F.HIERRO plays the ball playing CB role, whose reading and anticipation will help immensely in cutting out service from Raees's creative players whilst his aerial ability will be a menace in both boxes. His speedy pin-point raking balls from deep can turn defense into attack within mere seconds as well.

Batistuta will have his work cut out against the monstrous and imperious J.KOHLER who is amongst the finest stoppers to ever grace the game. A.COLE plays a supporting overlapping FB role to Czibor without sacrificing too much of his defensive game. Although he faces a tough battle with the mercurial Keizer, his sheer pace, impeccable tackling and solid 1 on 1 defending will stand him in good stead.

MIDFIELD

Responsible for holding the fort, J.MASCHERANO will be a hindrance to Hagi, occupying his zone and picking up any potential midfield runners. The fiery and talented midfield general B.SCHUSTER will be tasked with pulling the strings from midfield whilst also being an active participant of the 'midfield battle' and aiding the defense whenever necessary. His trademark long range shots, industry, pin point passes and link up play with Suárez would prove key here.

LUISITO SUÁREZ MIRAMONTES will be in his element here as a goalscoring incisive playmaker. Ably assisted by Schuster, El Arquitecho's peerless technique, enthralling dribbling and razor sharp slide rule passes would provide a steady stream of supply for the dangerous forwards ahead of him. Or he could go at it himself with his unstoppable mazy runs and finish it off himself. In fact he scored 112 goals in 216 games whilst primarily being a playmaker. Belongs in a class of his own...

Z.CZIBOR, the mighty Magyar, will prove to be a thorn in Raees right flank with his classy dribbling, irrepressible pace and tenacity down the flanks. Although he's primarily tasked with being a provider for his fellow forwards with his glorious passes and crosses, he's more than capable of cutting in and scoring one himself as he's done time and time again. Will be looking to establish a similar partnership with Vieri, a striker in the mould of Kocsis.

FORWARDS

Quite possibly the greatest German winger ever, P.LITTBARSKI reprises his deadly free roaming inside right role. He allied sensational dribbling with blistering pace, excellent technique and deadly finishing. He scored 64 goals in 128 games at his peak, mainly playing from the right flank. He wasn't just a pure inside forward either, he was equally capable of going out wide and delivering inviting crosses and passes.

At his peak the hulking C.VIERI was a battering ram of a target man and a goalscorer of the highest quality, blended into one. Capable of just about scoring any type of goal, 'Bobo' averaged a goal a game at his irrepressible peak. He is also the ideal foil for both my forwards and Suárez.

His hold-up and link-up play will enable Suárez and esp Litti to play off him into goalscoring positions whilst his aerial prowess would be a treat for both Litti and Czibor's pinpoint crosses (all time top scorer of headed goals in the Italian league). The perfect spearhead to complete and facilitate the attack.

Defensive Line : Normal

Playing Style : I'm looking to take the initiative here and go with a fairly attacking philosophy. That's not to say I'm going gung ho before someone twists my words :p.

Schuster and Suárez would thrive in this style and a rock solid defense allied with the work rate of Czibor and Schuster makes sure my backline is solid and well protected. I also believe that his side wouldn't be at their best without the ball and this can possibly be exploited.

Skizzo

Joga Tactics

1) With outrageous creative talents such as Schuster, Suárez, Czibor, Hierro and to a certain extent Littbarski, it would be hard for any defense to keep them quiet.

2) Vieri as the focal point means there is a clinical finisher at the end of the chances created and it also manages to enhance the already impressive goalscoring nature of his fellow forwards. The Vieri-Litti link ups and Czibor-Vieri cross-header combos are ones to look out for.

3) Raees and I have a rather similar attacking set ups. A goalscoring attacking playmaker, an accurate crosser on the left, a right inside forward of sorts and a goalscoring target man who ties it all up.

However, I think my focal point will have more joy against his defense relative to Batigol who has to contend with Kohler. This takes away a significant portion of his attacking impetus imo.

4) Well balanced flanks with Burgnich's defensive style allowing Litti full freedom. Schuster can cover the right flank in the event of an overload but that would be silly with the threat of Litti on the counter.

Cole can play a supporting role safe in the knowledge that he has one of the best left wingers of all time and someone who singlehandedly manned the flanks for Hungary 50s side, ahead of him. Cole will support and overlap intelligently but his primary focus would be on Keizer.

5) The Schuster-Maradona partnership of Barca managed to captivate the attention of football fans all over. Schuster played at an incredibly high level, matching Maradona's performances by bossing the midfield and letting Maradona do what he does best.

He has a chance to reprise that combination with Suárez, another magical goalscoring playmaker (arguably better than the Barca incarnation of Maradona)

6) Raees has constructed a terrific side and I kept the potshots to a minimum because I honestly couldn't find many weaknesses in his balanced side.

In saying that, I believe he has made a slight error by going for Boban and shifting Breitner to LB. Boban was primarily a talented creative midfielder who could do a decent defensive job in central midfield.

However, I'd been more concerned about Schuster-Suárez going up against Breitner-Effenberg instead of his current duo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he play the deep lying midfield role before for Milan? I remember Albertini playing that with Boban partnering him and Boban playing as an advanced midfielder later on.

Nothing major, just me nitpicking as Boban has the tools to play that role.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/page-94#post-17027730

player profiles

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Joga Bonito I too cannot find many weaknesses in your side aside from the lack of quality in terms of your overlapping runs relative to my own.. I would say tactically your team is more balanced then mine in a defensive sense but I possess the better technique in my side taken as a whole. Aside from that your side is tactically spot on. Comes down to how individuals perform on the day.. but hopefully my Boban piece will dismantle any arguments this guy couldn't play central midfield against the very best. Type of character who thrives as being the underdog..

Zvonmir Boban
He was arguably one of the most talented players to play for Milan in the 1990’s. An impressive feat in a team that was made up of legends. Zvonimir Boban combined outrageous skill, tactical intelligence, boundless stamina and an outstanding passing range with a devastating shot; he is sometimes easy to forget just how good he was. Videos of him against Prime Juve & Inter... against Zidane/Deschamps et al & Seedorf/Jugovic.. he also tears Zanetti apart a few times too.

Boban played 109 games for Croatian giants Dinamo Zagreb, having made his debut aged 16, he was club captain by the time he was 19. This led to his eventual call up for the Yugoslavian national team, of which he was capped 7 times. In 1987 he was part of the Yugoslav side that won the FIFA Youth World Cup, playing alongside Davor Suker, Predrag Mijatovic and Robert Prosinecki.

His chance to enter Croatian myth came in Zagreb on 13 May, 1990. Yugoslavia was then still uneasily holding its various nationalities together. Boban’s team Dynamo Zagreb, from the capital of Croatia, were playing the Serb team (Serbia controlled the majority of Yugoslavia, to the distaste of Croats) Red Star Belgrade in a league match that degenerated into hooliganism. Boban spotted a policeman beating up a Dinamo fan who had tripped. Boban decided to come to the aid of his fellow Nationalist, and kicked the Serbian police man in the face. This was seen as “the symbol of the uprising against the 70-year Serb domination in Yugoslavia.” Many Croats feel that with that kick their nation was born.

The psychopath Arkan, who had led Red Star’s hooligans at the match in Zagreb, and became a brutal Serb paramilitary leader in the war, subsequently recalled: “After that game we immediately began to organize ourselves.” Boban was banned for 6 months by the powers to be, and unfortunately missed the 1990 World Cup, where Yugoslavia reached the quarter finals.

It is obviously wrong to think that Boban started the war, politicians started the war. But he was seen by Croat’s as a national symbol, a living martyr. So as troubles increased in his home country, Boban left for Lombardia in 1991 to sign for AC Milan under Fabio Capello in a deal worth £8m. Milan’s current websiterecognised him as a legend, and on his page they pay homage to “His great technical skills, his good insight into the game and his great tactical malleability bringing him to cover different roles in the midfield”

Boban was integral to the greatest Milan side of all time, which dominated an entire decade. At the club he won 4 Scudetto titles in 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1999. Playing alongside some of the greatest players of all time, Boban complimented Ruud Gullit in the centre of midfield and played infront of the most solid back-line in history: Tassotti, Baresi, Maldini and Costacurta. The 1993 side also accompanied Donadoni, Rijkaard, Savicevic, Jean-Pierra Papin and van Basten. During his Milan stint, he would play alongside greats Bierhoff, Weah, Marco Simone, Baggio, Di Canio, Davids, Kluivert, Leonardo, Ayala, Shevchenko and Redondo.

His partnership with Demetrio Albertini would become synonymous for having a touch of class and complete tactical awareness. Boban himself, technically was a genius and had a devastating ability to produce breath taking goals. These were taken from distance, with his head or from a graceful and fluid running pattern with the ball which was fuelled by his raw aggression and determination.

The 1994 Champions League final was one of the greatest of all time. It was Milan vs Barca. Capello vs Cruyff. Barcelona and their ‘dream team’ featured Guardiola, Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario, they were expected to easily defeat the Milan squad that featured youngsters Panucci and also Desailly infront of the back four. This was Boban’s finest hour as he helped Milan to a staggering 4-0 victory.

Boban could play in any role in midfield and his ability to adapt and be flexible made him indispensable. He would not just be able to ‘fit in’ and ‘do a job’; in the role he was asked to fill. On the contrary, he would play that role as well as the man who was there before him, if not better.

He played for his beloved Croatia 51 times and captained them to 3rd place at the 1998 World Cup finals “Croatia is the reason I live,” he declared in the documentary film The Last Yugoslavian Football Team. “I love my country as I love myself. I would die for Croatia.”

Following retirement from the game, Boban has gone on to complete a history degree at the University of Zagreb, submitting his thesis on “Christianity in the Roman Empire” (which funnily enough I only read about last night, it was Constantine the Emperor who was converted in 312 AD, anyway..). Always regarded as an articulate man, he reads widely and impressed many with his eloquence and knowledge of world literature, history and political affairs. Upon completing his degree he is quoted as saying: “Only after four years of study have I understood how little it is that I know. Learning new stuff serves one solely to understand the insignificance of one’s knowledge.”

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Isn't Boban more of an attacking midfielder? Will that mean Effenberg gets totally overworked defensively?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That said, none of his full backs are great in an attacking sense. Burgnich played as a Bergomi-esque right back in the Le Grande Inter side – basically a 3rd CB who never got forward and Ashley Cole is one of the most overrated attacking full back of the modern era. A world class defensive full back but going forwards he was distinctly average.
I knew this would be brought up sooner or later and I actually agree with you to a certain extent but I don't see it affecting my team too much tactically tbh.

Well balanced flanks with Burgnich's defensive style allowing Litti full freedom. Schuster can cover the right flank in the event of an overload but that would be silly with the threat of Litti on the counter.

Cole can play a supporting role safe in the knowledge that he has one of the best left wingers of all time and someone who singlehandedly manned the flanks for Hungary 50s side, ahead of him. Cole will support and overlap intelligently but his primary focus would be on Keizer.
Cole while being excellent defensively, was more than capable of playing a supporting full back role with his pace, intelligent overlapping runs and cut backs. Im not asking him to do a Facchetti or a Nilton Santos here, just what he's more than capable of doing. He actually made his name as a buccaneering wing back before being reined in by Jose.

"He is a defender who simply loves to attack. Defends, because he has to defend and because it is part of his job. Everybody loves to play with [him] because as soon as you won the ball back, he was up there to attack." - Wenger

"Ashley does not need people saying, 'Do this' or 'Go there'. He knows, he knows." - Sylvinho

Strachan: “Cole, basically a wing-back or winger playing in a back four, has got amazing energy and there's so much to his game. He's got the ability to open teams up because he can beat people, run with the ball and without it, and see passes.”

Erikkson - “So fast and dangerous going forward, it’s like having another left-winger to deal with. I like my defenders to play football, but he can defend too.”

Last edited:

MJJ

Very close match, am going to wait and hear from both managers before making my mind up.

@Joga Bonito arent those quotes from his arsenal days? I think he was a lot more adventurous and a much better attacker compared to the chelsea version.

Although I do agree that he is perfectly capable of making supporting runs.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Isn't Boban more of an attacking midfielder? Will that mean Effenberg gets totally overworked defensively?
Have a look at the videos (match compilation of all his touches/tackles) , he plays deeper and does it well. He is considered to be a very versatile player (can play across the midfield) , so if my instructions are to him to sit deep and counter, you can expect him to stick to such instructions.

@Joga Bonito

It is hardly a major flaw, your wingers are good enough dribblers to make do without a great attacking full back to support them. Cole is sufficient in that sense, but I do have to look for some flaws haha.. Gerets/Keizer & Breitner/Dzajic (the latter is an absolute all time great full-back-wing pairing). The first video demonstrates how Breitner on the counter is on another level in an attacking sense and the second video demonstrates why Dzajic is the best winger in this match.

Last edited:

sajeev

@Raees who is your goalkeeper? what are his achievements? why is he in your team?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Dzajic is competition for the likes of Garrincha.. he was not a Gento/Czibor/Giggs i.e. a top winger in a top class set up… He was the Ronaldinho, Best of his teams, the mercurial wing wizard who controlled the destiny of sides he played in. The best left footed winger of all time in my opinion.
I respectfully beg to disagree. I'd have Czibor over Dzajic personally and I hope that is the general prevalent view. He's one of the best LW of all time playing for the legendary Honvéd, Mighty Magyar Hungary and Suárez's Barca. Dzajic is an excellent player and he was impressive whenever i managed to see or read about him but I feel you are overrating him.

the plan is to just suffocate the play by getting bodies back in midfield, sit tight and try to reduce Suarez’s impact on the game.
That is a risky game with the creative talents of Schuster and Suárez combined with my 2 creative wing forwards. Ceding the initiative to these buggers could backfire imo.

or Dzajic (watch a video of an old Dzajic taking on Camacho
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Camacho neutralize Dzajic playing in an unusual RB position.

He’s rugged and can be very dangerous but Vasovic and Carvalho can use their intelligence to capitalise on his technique.
I beg to disagree once again. Both were excellent defenders but none were in the mould of a stopper which is what you ideally need to stop a battering ram in Vieri. Carvalho was never thr strongest of defenders and whilst Vasovic was a tough and an aggressive defender he couldn't compare with the sheer physicality of Bobo. Even the best heading defenders struggle against Vieri and I expect him to have an edge in this regard esp with service from Litti and Czibor.

I also disagree with the notion that he's technically deficient. He was pretty good on the ball, pacey and possessed a good touch for a goalscoring target man and used his physicality to full effect to hold up the ball brilliantly. He wasn't an exclusively physical lumbering forward with poor touch that some stereotypically mistake him to be.

Anyway you have a cracking team and I expect a cracking game here. Good luck mate.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees who is your goalkeeper? what are his achievements? why is he in your team?
Goalkeeper

Thomas Nkono - ranked as the greatest African keeper of all-time. He is the man who was Buffon's idol
and responsible for the young lad transitioning from an outfield player to the the position of goalkeeper such were the brilliance of his exploits at the 1990 world cup. He named his son Thomas in his honour (see article below.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/gianluigi-buffon-q

In 2002, N'Kono was arrested by riot police for allegedly using "black magic", prior to the African Cup of Nations semi-final against Mali (3–0 win). He was dragged onto the running track after stepping onto the pitch at the 26 March Stadium, alongside coach Winfried Schäfer, and eventually received a one-year ban, which was then lifted, although he was not allowed to sit on the bench for the final. There was speculation that an object found in his pocket was a black-magic charm aimed at helping Cameroon's cause

Career

African soccer had its first real break-through on the world stage in 1982. Cameroon held Peru, eventual winners Italy and semifinalists Poland to draws in the first round group. They only let in one goal, a lucky header by Italian forward Graziani, but it was enough to send them home because Italy had 2-2 in goals compared to Cameroon's 1-1. Thomas N'Kono was the main reason to their impressive defensive record. He showed goalkeeping at its finest and was nominated as one of the best goalkeepers in the tournament. Quite an achievement for the 26-year-old who was virtually unknown to the soccerworld outside Africa at the time.

Twice named African Player of the Year in 1979 and 1982, he stayed on in Spain after the 1982 World Cup with Barcelona club Español. With this club he stayed faithful for nearly a decade until he retired. With his native club back in Cameroon, Canon Yaounde, he won five league championships before he travelled to Europe. He won the African Nations Cup in 1984, but missed out on qualifying for the Mexico World Cup two years later.

Cameroon qualified convincingly to the World Cup in Italy 1990, but not many fancied them to emulate their great showing eight years earlier. After their sensational 1-0 win over defending champions Argentina in the opening game, Cameroon continued in style until they were knocked out by England in the quarterfinals. N'Kono had another fine tournament and could retire as a proud man. He was the first African goalkeeper to earn a contract in a professional club in Europe, and the first to keep a clean sheet in a World Cup match. Apart from the 4-0 defeat to Russia in 1990, a match which meant nothing to Cameroon as they already had made it to the second round, N'Kono only let in four goals from open play in seven games in his World Cup career. A remarkable record knowing how fragile the African sides have been defensively over the years.

Surprisingly enough N'Kono was tempted out of retirement to join the Cameroon team in the 1994 World Cup as third choice goalkeeper, but didn't play a minute in that tournament. He ended his career there and is currently working as goalkeeper coach for the Cameroon national team.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Very close match, am going to wait and hear from both managers before making my mind up.

@Joga Bonito arent those quotes from his arsenal days? I think he was a lot more adventurous and a much better attacker compared to the chelsea version.

Although I do agree that he is perfectly capable of making supporting runs.
Yup. It was just to show that he wasn't that limited and could do a good supporting job out wide in the right set up and winger. That is not the version of Cole I'm using anyway. He was very good offensively and was capable of manning a flank on his own but still a bit naive defensively. I'm using his peak Chelsea version where he was brilliant defensively whilst being proficient at a supporting attacking role.

It is hardly a major flaw, your wingers are good enough dribblers to make do without a great attacking full back to support them. Cole is sufficient in that sense, but I do have to look for some flaws haha.. G
Yeah fair enough. Had to resort to some of that myself in the OP.

kps88

:lol: @ Suarez's name taking up more than half the pitch.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A video on one of the greatest outside lefts ever.

The Czibor-Kocsis combo which Czibor will look to replicate with Vieri

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The outrageously talented and ridiculously complete Schuster who was heralded by Der Kaiser (in addition to Vogts & Weisweiler) as his successor

Just watch this video on Litti FFS! I implore you :D. One of the best dribblers and most entertaining players I've ever seen

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Wow.. both very well formed teams.

I always thought of Boban as a proper B2B rather than a pure DM or AM. A proper CM if you will. I don't have any issues with Raees' midfield here.

Raees' left side really grabs the attention here. Joga does have his RB playing a pure defensive role there so it would be an interesting battle. Also dunno why but I just get the impression that Vieri is the wrong kind of striker for Joga's team.

Slightly leaning towards Raees at this stage but it can change depending on how arguments form.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Wow.. both very well formed teams.

I always thought of Boban as a proper B2B rather than a pure DM or AM. A proper CM if you will. I don't have any issues with Raees' midfield here.

Raees' left side really grabs the attention here. Joga does have his RB playing a pure defensive role there so it would be an interesting battle. Also dunno why but I just get the impression that Vieri is the wrong kind of striker for Joga's team.

Slightly leaning towards Raees at this stage but it can change depending on how arguments form.
I'd have preferred a more defensive player in the deeper sitting back tactics that he is employing.

Why do you say that? Just curious. I think he's the perfect fit for my forward line to be honest. Vieri would relish Czibor's and Littbarski's quality crosses and Suárez and Litti will love Vieri's hold up play and ability to bring others into the game. After all both Suárez and Litti averaged 1 in 2 at their peak in their current positions.

Czibor was perfectly capable of doing just that too but he's primarily focusing on creating chances and being engaged in the left flank against Gerets-Keizer. After all he single handedly manned the left flank for the Mighty Magyars as a key player for them.

2) Vieri as the focal point means there is a clinical finisher at the end of the chances created and it also manages to enhance the already impressive goalscoring nature of his fellow forwards. The Vieri-Litti link ups and Czibor-Vieri cross-header combos are ones to look out for
At his peak the hulking C.VIERI was a battering ram of a target man and a goalscorer of the highest quality, blended into one. Capable of just about scoring any type of goal, 'Bobo' averaged a goal a game at his irrepressible peak. He is also the ideal foil for both my forwards and Suárez.
Also touching on the left flank vs right flank of mine. Breitner loved to go forward but he has the pacey Litti to contend with. If Raees decides to overload that flank, then Schuster will cover for Litti. Let's not forget that Breitner loved cutting in with his right foot instead of going on overlapping runs and putting in crosses.

This plays into Schuster's hand as well and I'd back Burgnich (in the defensive RB top tier with Vogts, Thuram, Bergomi and D.Santos) to deal with Dzajic. Plus, like I've stated in the OP, Breitner can't afford to be gung ho here with the danger of the deadly Littbarski on the counter being free.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'd have preferred a more defensive player in the deeper sitting back tactics that he is employing.

Why do you say that? Just curious. I think he's the perfect fit for my forward line to be honest. Vieri would relish Czibor's and Littbarski's quality crosses and Suárez and Litti will love Vieri's hold up play and ability to bring others into the game. After all both Suárez and Litti averaged 1 in 2 at their peak in their current positions.

Czibor was perfectly capable of doing just that too but he's primarily focusing on creating chances and being engaged in the left flank against Gerets-Keizer. After all he single handedly manned the left flank for the Mighty Magyars as a key player for them.

Also touching on the left flank vs right flank of mine. Breitner loved to ho forward but he has the pacey Litti to contend with. If he decides to overload that flank, then Schuster will cover for Litti. Let's not forget that Breitner loved cutting in with his right foot instead of going on overlapping runs and putting in crosses.

This plays into Schuster's hand as well and I'd back Burgnich (in the defensive RB top tier with Vogts, Thuram, Bergomi and D.Santos) to deal with Dzajic. Plus, like I've stated in the OP, Breitner can't afford to be hung ho here with the danger of the deadly Littbarski on the counter being free.
I was assuming Raaes' would be playing a high line. It seems like that may not be the case. Against a high line I would think, having a pacy striker would be better than a battering ram. But is Raaes playing a deep line with Vasovic in the team?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Piet Keizer

He is footballs forgotten hero, Piet Keizer made 365 appearances for Ajax, playing in 4 European Cup finals and being victorious 3 consecutive times. He scored 146 goals and also reached the World Cup final with Holland in 1974, all this over a prestigious 15 year career.

Ajax defender Velibor Vasovic tells the story of watching Ajax just before he signed for the Dutch giants. A young Johann Cruyff was dazzling on the left when Vasovic was told by a fan not to bother too much with the youngster as the left wing was already in possession of the clubs best player. Vasovic responded that if the club had a better player than Cruyff then the club didn’t need to sign him. The better player was Piet Keizer.

Amsterdam born [14th June 1943] and bred, Keizer was a one club man, joining Ajax in 1961 under manager Vic Buckingham. Keizer would stay for 13 years and 365 appearances. A left winger with an upright stance and a long striding “scissor” gait that he perfected; it gave him the ability to deceive defenders and deliver perfect crosses. Sjaak Swart also remembers Keizer’s ability to stand still with the ball and play a pass to take three defenders out.

In Keizer’s early years he showed true glimpses of individual brilliance, he became renowned for perfecting the ‘scissor’ (Step-over.. Ronaldo pfftt) often using it on the wing to beat his marker and put in a dangerous delivery into the box. However in 1964 Keizer suffered a serious injury, he cracked his skull by colliding into Dutch defender André Pijlman. Keizer ended up being taken to hospital to have surgery. This lead to Keizer being out of the game for a considerable amount of time.

However when he returned Rinus Michels was the coach and a young man called Johan Cruyff was beginning to emerge from behind the scenes. The two became known as the ‘royal pair’ and they were the most deadly duo in the world at that time. They would rip the opposition to pieces with their innovative attacking flair, through interchanging and combining with one-twos; the opposition could not get near them.

In 1968 Ajax won the Eredivisie thanks to Keizer and Cruyff’s dominance, and then in 1969 they managed to reach the European Cup final for the first time in the clubs history. Unfortunately the final was not a day to remember, AC Milan’s catenaccio prevailed Ajax’s total voetbal; Keizer though, was determined not to ever have to walk past that elusive trophy without touching it again.

In 1971 Ajax returned to the competition and Keizer & Co. reached the final once more, this time they faced Greek side Panathinaikos. The result would be a different story this time, Keizer played on the left and he had no troubles beating the Greek right back Tomaras. Keizer put in a tremendous cross for Van Dijk to head into the net after only 5 minutes of play. The game finished 2-0 and Keizer had won his first European Cup.

In 1972 Ajax retained the cup with another 2-0 win but this time over Internazionale, Keizer again got an assist, in one of the greatest European cup performances ever seen. 1973 was the year when Ajax managed to win their third consecutive European cup. They beat Juventus 1-0 thanks to a Johnny Rep goal.

However in the summer of 73’ the great Ajax side would disband, new manager George Knobel decided to let the player’s vote for whom they wished to be captain. They chose Keizer. This though was the end of Cruyff as he felt he was betrayed by his teammates and so he went to Barcelona along with many of his team mates who also departed for other clubs.

Keizer later fell out with Coach Hans Kraay because Keizer wanted to move into midfield in his later years but the coach disagreed. Keizer then quit football and swore to never kick a football again, it is famously believed that three decades later when watching his son’s football match the ball rolled to him but he stepped to the side and let the ball roll.

So Keizer’s brilliant career was brought to an end. A career that saw Piet Keizer achieve everything possible to achieve in the club game, doing it with style and flamboyance with arguably the finest team to ever play the game. As to who was the better – Keizer or Cruyff? Maybe the analogy is they needed each other – Cruyff’s Mick Jagger to Keizer’s Keith Richards. Both are legendary. The best way to define Keizer comes from the words of Dutch writer, Nico Scheepmaker:

“Cruyff is the best, but Keizer is the better one.”

See below.. his performance against Inter - not even at his physical peak (Burgnich is in this side at CB) & general clips

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I was assuming Raaes' would be playing a high line. It seems like that may not be the case. Against a high line I would think, having a pacy striker would be better than a battering ram. But is Raaes playing a deep line with Vasovic in the team?
I'm playing a normal line, it is just my midfielders sit a little deeper, closer to the CB's to counter Suarez's threat. They press from time to time too to mix it up, but general strategy is nice and compact from defence and midfield. I don't see defence sitting deep here, he has out and out wingers and a battering ram, my defence is well placed to defend high here.. I have classy pacey full backs who know how to defend and quick elegant CB's.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I would suppose so based on this as you cant really play a high line with a deep midfield but let's wait for him to clarify.

the plan is to just suffocate the play by getting bodies back in midfield, sit tight and try to reduce Suarez’s impact on the game.
the role of Boban/Effenberg is key. They have to be disciplined because if they play gung-ho
Vasovic was good enough to play the deep line mind you as he was first and foremost an excellent defender and then a high pushing off side trap setting maniac.

To add to my point, Schuster & Suárez's creativity is too much to contend with. Plus I can't see Boban, primarily a creative midfielder with good tenacity and work rate), Hagi who isn't going to contribute much defensively, Breitner and Vasovic thriving in this set up to be brutally honest.

Shots fired :wenger:

Also Vieri had very good pace for a player of his hulking stature. Just check it out, if you have the time.

Edit : Just read Raees's post where only his midfield is being deep and compact. I don't think conceding the space, initiative and sitting off in disciplined roles is the best way to handle Suárez & Schuster's outrageous creativity and they'll run the midfield imo.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Also touching on the left flank vs right flank of mine. Breitner loved to go forward but he has the pacey Litti to contend with. If Raees decides to overload that flank, then Schuster will cover for Litti. Let's not forget that Breitner loved cutting in with his right foot instead of going on overlapping runs and putting in crosses.

This plays into Schuster's hand as well and I'd back Burgnich (in the defensive RB top tier with Vogts, Thuram, Bergomi and D.Santos) to deal with Dzajic. Plus, like I've stated in the OP, Breitner can't afford to be gung ho here with the danger of the deadly Littbarski on the counter being free.
Breitner will pick and choose his moments. I trust him to be able to read the situation and act accordingly. I don't think Burgnich is a match for Dzajic, who could destroy any right back in history in his prime.

Dragan Dzajic Profile

Dzajic, a left winger blessed with demonic dribbling skills, deliver defense splitting passes, brilliant ball control, speed, a great cross, a superb free kick, and a sharp eye for the goal. The man could score from just about any angle and many of his successful attempts came direct from corner kicks. The player oozed class and was considered a dead ball specialist too. Gifted with vision and that rare gift, a killer left foot, he was delivering 'Platini-like' free kicks when the French legend was still in shorts.

He played 590 games for Red Star Belgrade, scoring 365 goals. Exceptional figures – but with the Yugoslav league being an obscure affair for the rest of Europe, it was only during international tournaments that people had the chance to witness Dzajic in action.

Euro 1968 launched his status as world class winger. In the semi-final against England, Dzajic scored the winning goal by lobbing the ball over Gordon Banks. Yugoslavia lost the final to Italy, but Dzajic was elected as the player of the tournament. He also ranked third in the Ballon d’Or rankings that year – behind Manchester Unitied’s George Best and Bobby Charlton. Franz Beckenbauer later stated that Dzajic should have won the trophy. Der Kaiser wasn’t the only admirer of Dzajic:

“Dzajic is the Balkan miracle – a real wizard. I’m just sorry he’s not Brazilian because I’ve never seen such a natural footballer.” – Pelé.

In 1971, Dzajic guided Red Star to the semi-final of the European Cup. There the Serbs easily dispatched their Greek opponents Panathinaikos in the first leg: 4-1. Red Star’s place in the final looked certain.

What happened during the return match is best described by Despina Gaspari, the wife of Greece’s former dictator Georgios Papadopoulos. “I told the president of Panathinaikos that I was very nervous. My husband, standing next to me, said that wasn’t necessary. ‘You don’t think we would leave a matter of national interest to chance, do you? Red Star will surrender and receive their reward.'”

The game ended 3-0 for the Greeks. Exactly enough to make it through to the final. Red Star blamed their defeat on food poisoning.

As such, as a result of a bribe, Dzajic never got to play in a European Cup final. Who knows how different football history would have been had Dzajic’s Red Star, rather than Panathinaikos, been Ajax’s opponent in that 1971 final?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I don't think Burgnich is a match for Dzajic, who could destroy any right back in history in his prime.
Come on mate. I don't buy that at all. Burgnich is as solid as they come at RB and is the epitome of catenaccio. He's in the elite tier of defensive RBs alongside D.Santos, Vogts, Thuram and Bergomi.

I understand that Dzajic is a fine player and a generally underappreciated one but to say he's better than Czibor and that Burgnich isn't a match for him is just not right. You are seriously overrating him here imo.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Georghe Hagi

Lets not forget that this guy played against one of the greatest Argentina sides of all time and destroyed them in 94. Redondo & Simeone.. and they couldn't control him. Mascherano will have to do a hell of a job to keep him quiet. I am using the more quicker tenacious version from 90, see him battle against Maradona above.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Come on mate. I don't buy that at all. Burgnich is as solid as they come at RB and is the epitome of catenaccio. He's in the elite tier of defensive RBs alongside D.Santos, Vogts, Thuram and Bergomi.

I understand that Dzajic is a fine player and a generally underappreciated one but to say he's better than Czibor and that Burgnich isn't a match for him is just not right.
It isn't that I do not rate Burgnich, I totally agree with how highly you are rating him in a defensive sense. In my OP however I said there are some wingers who regardless of how great the FB is defensively, they will struggle to keep them quiet if that player is on form. Dzajic is in that bracket of Garrincha, Best.. in that he is a force of nature.. a reference point for his position.

I do rate him higher than Czibor (so do others - see below), purely because he was the man for both club and country.. he was the 'genius' in the team and is considered the best Yugoslav player in history. For me Czibor was a top all time winger too, but he is in the tier below Best, Garrincha, Dzajic alongside Gento in that they're top notch but were part of a great set up (part of greater collective) not the indisputed main men in those sides (i.e. Puskas or Di Stefano).

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268199

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It isn't that I do not rate Burgnich, I totally agree with how highly you are rating him in a defensive sense. In my OP however I said there are some wingers who regardless of how great the FB is defensively, they will struggle to keep them quiet if that player is on form. Dzajic is in that bracket of Garrincha, Best.. in that he is a force of nature. I do rate him higher than Czibor, purely because he was the man for both club and country.. he was the 'genius' in the team and is considered the best Yugoslav player in history. For me Czibor was a top all time winger too, but he is in the tier below Best, Garrincha, Dzajic alongside Gento in that they're top notch but were part of a great set up (part of greater collective) not the indisputed main men in those sides (i.e. Puskas or Di Stefano).
Tbf Dzajic was the main man of a fairly unknown Red Star and Yugoslavia teams. Granted he did well in the Euro 68 and 76 but I don't see why he deserves to be rated that high in that bracket tbh. I also don't think it's anything negative not being the main man of a side featuring Bozsik, Puskas, Hideguti and Kocsis. In fact I'd rate those 4 alongside Czibor as the key players in the Mighty Magyar sides - one of the greatest international sides of all time.

He also was a star in the legendary forward line of Barça featuring Suárez, Kubala, Kocsis and Evaristo which managed to outscore Di Stefano's side and win the title on goal difference.

Anyway I'm curious as to how the others here rate Dzajic, probably a divisive topic but I'd be surprised if many rated him as highly as you do.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Tbf Dzajic was the main man of a fairly unknown Red Star and Yugoslavia teams. Granted he did well in the Euro 68 and 76 but I don't see why he deserves to be rated that high in that bracket tbh. I also don't think it's anything negative not being the main man of a side featuring Bozsik, Puskas, Hideguti and Kocsis. In fact I'd rate those 4 alongside Czibor as the key players in the Mighty Magyar sides - one of the greatest international sides of all time.

He also was a star in the legendary forward line of Barça featuring Suárez, Kubala, Kocsis and Evaristo which managed to outscore Di Stefano's side and win the title on goal difference.

Anyway I'm curious as to how the others here rate Dzajic, probably a divisive topic but I'd be surprised if many rated him as highly as you do.
We've said our piece. Titanic left wing tussle this.. let the others decide.

sajeev

its really close between the two teams.

i feel that Raees has an advantage in terms of the quality of the personnel. so right now giving my vote to his team

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
its really close between the two teams.

i feel that Raees has an advantage in terms of the quality of the personnel. so right now giving my vote to his team
Do you mind expanding on that as in which departments he's better than me at? Anyway that is extremely subjective and reductionist imo and a more holistic/tactical perspective must be taken into consideration.

For instance he has Batistuta>Vieri, Keizer>Litti and Czibor>Dzajic individually but that doesn't take into consideration the grand scheme of things.

My trio is supplied by Schuster & Suárez who'd provide better quality chances than Effenberg-Hagi, not that I'm underrating their creativity, my duo just have the edge.

More importantly, Batistuta faces Kohler, one of the best, if not the greatest, stoppers around and Hierro who's brilliant in the air as well. Vieri surely will have more joy against Raees duo who aren't equipped to handle that kind of physicality and aerial superiority.

My wing-forwards face Breitner & Gerets but his faces Cole (someone who's shut down C.Ronaldo & Messi whilst being called the best LB he's ever faced by CR7) and Burgnich. I know which pair I'd rate higher from a purely defensive perspective.

Anyway I'll be off soon enough and will make some final points

1) Raees is trying to play a compact and disciplined midfield who are sitting deeper. Firstly conceding space and time to Suárez & Schuster isn't the best way to go about things.

2) Secondly he doesn't have the midfield personnel to pull this off. Hagi isn't going to contribute much defensively, Boban is primarily a creative midfielder and has the tenacity & industry but not necessarily the defensive nous to play such a demanding defensive role and Effenberg will be overburdened and chasing shadows. Once again regarding sajeev's point on individual quality. Boban might look like a more quality and talented player than Mascherano but the latter would much more at ease and better in Raees's set up.

BorisDeLeFora

:lol: @ Suarez's name taking up more than half the pitch.
Luisito from Barcelona Suarez NO WAIT the centre mid for Barcelona from the late fifties not the guy who plays for them now Miratomes (SPA(Not Uruguay)).

This looks like a good match up, I'll read through it at lunch and see what I think.

sajeev

Do you mind expanding on that as in which departments he's better than me at? Anyway that is extremely subjective and reductionist imo and a more holistic/tactical perspective must be taken into consideration.

For instance he has Batistuta>Vieri, Keizer>Litti and Czibor>Dzajic individually but that doesn't take into consideration the grand scheme of things.

My trio is supplied by Schuster & Suárez who'd provide better quality chances than Effenberg-Hagi, not that I'm underrating their creativity, my duo just have the edge.

More importantly, Batistuta faces Kohler, one of the best, if not the greatest, stoppers around and Hierro who's brilliant in the air as well. Vieri surely will have more joy against Raees duo who aren't equipped to handle that kind of physicality and aerial superiority.

My wing-forwards face Breitner & Gerets but his faces Cole (someone who's shut down C.Ronaldo & Messi whilst being called the best LB he's ever faced by CR7) and Burgnich. I know which pair I'd rate higher from a purely defensive perspective.

Anyway I'll be off soon enough and will make some final points

1) Raees is trying to play a compact and disciplined midfield who are sitting deeper. Firstly conceding space and time to Suárez & Schuster isn't the best way to go about things.

2) Secondly he doesn't have the midfield personnel to pull this off. Hagi isn't going to contribute much defensively, Boban is primarily a creative midfielder and has the tenacity & industry but not necessarily the defensive nous to play such a demanding defensive role and Effenberg will be overburdened and chasing shadows. Once again regarding sajeev's point on individual quality. Boban might look like a more quality and talented player than Mascherano but the latter would much more at ease and better in Raees's set up.
you make a very good case.
however, i don't rate Mascherano at all, especially against quality players like Hagi & Boban.
While both of you have great attacks, i feel this will still be a tight game, where a little bit of magic will decide who wins. i really can't separate the two sides and the way you have set up and if you had someone other than Mascherano there, maybe you would have gotten my vote.
Apart from that, I think Veiri is bit under-rated and Batistuta as little over-rated in these drafts, there isn't that much difference in how they would do in set-ups catering to their strengths. having said that i still would have batistuta in my team over vieri
while cole has shut down c.ronaldo, he has struggled against the likes of valencia and nani.

if i was voting for a score i would probably vote for a score-draw

Mani

Great contest between evenly matched teams, I don't see much weakness on either side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lets not forget Czibor has to get past Gerets.. a tremendous right-back, an icon.

Eric Gerets - The Lion

Eric Maria Gerets was born on 18th May, 1954 in Rekem, Belgium.Gerets began his career playing for his local amateur team AA Rekem, before joining the then Belgian league title holders Standard Liege.Initially, Gerets was unable to break into the first team under Rene Hauss, as the titleholders were packed with such talent as Wilfried Van Moer, Christian Piot , Nico Dewalque, Jean Thiessen and Leon Semmeling. Gerets eventually made his debut on 16 April, 1972; replacing Silvester Takac in a league game against FC Diest. Despite making this debut in the 1971-72 season, Gerets did not become a regular until the following season, when he replaced the 29-year old Liege stalwart and Belgian International, Jacques Beurlet as the first choice right-back for the Rouches. These formative years at Standard Liege were not marked by success either, as the mid to late 70s marked a decline in Liege’s fortunes and they seemed destined to finish third in the league each season (after Club Brugge and Anderlecht).

Despite the lack of domestic success, Gerets had developed into a tough, disciplined and tactically shrewd right back; this progression meant that inevitably Gerets would soon gain his first international cap and did so on October 1975, against the GDR. This cap would herald the beginning of an international career that would end with him becoming theRode Duivelsthird most capped player with 86 appearances.

Gerets played at four major tournaments, with the first being the 1980 European Championship in Italy. Gerets only scored two goals in his entire international career and one of these would come in this tournament as he scored the opening goal in the 2–1 win against Spain which ensured that Belgium qualified as group winners. The Belgium team of 1980 is considered to be the first of the nations ‘golden generation’ and certainly most exciting to emerge at that time due to the offensively-minded Erwin Vandenbergh, Jan Caulemans, Julien Cools, Francois van der Elst and Liege teammate Van Moer. Raymond Goethals’ team wowed audiences and defied expectation by reaching the final that year but lost to West Germany by a single goal (1–2) scored by Horst Hrubesch two minutes from time. Two years later, the World Cup in Spain arrived and Gerets had already been handed the Captains armband. Despite a famous victory over defending champions Argentina, however; the Gerets led Belgians could only manage the 2ndround.

The 1980s arrived with an ambitious Standard Liege determined to replicate the success of the late 60’s / early 70’s. To achieve this, theRouches hired a succession of managers including legendary Feyenoord manager Ernst Happel, before settling on a Cup Winners Cup winning coach known in some circles as “le sorcier” or “le magicien”, but formally known as Raymond Goethals. The determination of the Liege board meant that Goethals was given the funds to fit out the Liege side with proven talent, as well as dipping into the clubs own youth team pool. Weathering the influx of newcomers, Gerets remained in defence and became a Captain who would lead established, older players such as like Arie Haan, Simon Tahamata, Walter Meeuws and Jos Daerden, as well as greener, youth team graduates such as Guy Vandermissen and Michel Preud’homme. Harnessing this fine balance of youth and experience, Standard finished runners up in the league in 1980, before winning the national cup in 1981 with a 4–1 win over Lokeren SC. This team had broken their duck with the cup victory and under Gerets’ captaincy, the Rouches would go on to win two consecutive titles and reach a European Cup Winners Cup Final, losing to Barcelona. Despite this, individually Gerets would go on lift his aforementioned 2nd title and was also presented with the 1982 Golden Shoe as Belgium’s best league player. In what was to be his last season at the club, Gerets captained Liege to their ninth league title; one which would prove to be their last for 25 years.

In 1983, Gerets was 29 and for several years had longed for a transfer abroad. When that call finally came, it was from AC Milan. Gerets left Standard and as per tradition, Internazionale made what they believed to be an equivalent signing to upstage their rivals (see Klinsman, Breame & Matthaus to Inter in order to upstage the Rossoneris signings of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard) so Ludo Coeck moved from Anderlecht to the Nerazzurri that same summer. Whilst Gerets and his new teammates struggled to curb Juve’s dominance; a storm was brewing back home in Belgium.

An investigation had been carried out into bribery and corruption in Belgian football and the inquiry had uncovered unxeplained and / or suspicious transactions in the Standard Liege bank accounts dating back to the 1981/82 season. Raymond Goethals and numerous Liege players past and present, were arrested and questioned – despite some of whom being in training with the national team at this time – Eric Gerets was one of those players. Confessions were given and some admitted that, in 1982, they had bribed the players of Waterschei at the behest of Goethals, who was concerned that the title would be lost if it was not purchased. Goethals, the Waterschei and Liege players were found guilty and subsequently suspended by the Belgian FA. Gerets received a suspension of one year and ended his Milan career, playing only thirteen games; the suspension would also mean that he would also miss the next European Championship in France.

By the time the ban had been lifted, Eric Gerets was in his early 30’s and when he was approached by Dutch side MVV Maastricht, it appeared that his career was winding down and that he would be condemned to a succession of roles in lower leagues. Gerets accepted the offer and the right back took shelter with MVV for half a season, before a surprising phone call came from PSV Eindhoven manager Jan Reker.

PSV were in a period of stagnation. It had been eight years since last Eredivise title, nine years since their last KNVB cup victory and seven years since their last European trophy. When Jan van Beveren lifted that UEFA Cup on that night 26 April, 1978; little did he or his teammates know that this would signal the end of that team and be the beginning of such a barren period. The following season it started; a6-0 UEFA Cup loss against Saint-Etienne hastened the sacking of Kees Rijvers, a man who had led the North Brabant side to three consecutive titles and two cups. The Captain van Beveren, disillusioned by this sacking and the state of Dutch football; left the Netherlands unhappily for the NASL after spending a decade at the club and accumulating 291 league games. Next, frequent clashes between record goalscorer Willy Van der Kuijlen and Rijvers’ replacement Thijs Libregts led to the former’s departure in 1982 after 18 seasons at the club and accumulating 308 goals in 528 games.

In 1985, this torpor forced the club chairmen Jacques Ruts and Kees Ploegsma into a new way of thinking and change of direction. The new era began when Hans Kraay Snr, became the new director of football; followed by the appointment of Jan Reker as coach. These two men would work together to build the team that would take its first steps in attaining Eredivisie dominance once more. Under this new regime, a different kind of player was signed – cultured performers and players with flair such as like Ruud Gullit from Feyenoord, Soren Lerby from Monaco and Gerald Vanenburg from Ajax. One of the first signings of the era was Eric Gerets and he joined alongside Frank Arsnesen and Gullit. With the team already claiming talented stalwarts like Huub Stevens and Willy van de Kerkhof; under the Captaincy of Gullit, PSV headed the league table for the majority of the 1985-86 season before claiming the Eredivisie with an emphatic 8-2 win against Go Ahead Eagles.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The following season, the new era of stability was shaken by an instance of infighting which harkened back to the then recent past; Gullit criticized the club and (now manager) Hans Kraay Snr. in an interview and the subsequent warning Gullit received was deemed too lenient by Kraay, who himself resigned also. He was replaced by 41 year old Guus Hiddink, in his first managerial role upon graduating from assistant to Kraay. Hiddink immediately allowed Gullit to join AC Milan and replaced the gap in the team by signing Ronald Koeman from Ajax; handing the Captains armband to Eric Gerets in the process.

In 1986, the Belgian national team’s ‘Golden Generation’ would fulfill their potential. The manager Guy Thys retained the team that had, since 1980, established themselves as players on the main stage. With Gerets marshaling defense and Jean-Marie Pfaff minding goal, the team had a backbone which gave confidence to an extremely dangerous midfield dominated by Anderlecht players. Such is the standing of the Belgian league at that time, that Gerets and Pfaff were the only two players in the side which did not play domestic football in their own country. Qualification had been at the expense of the Netherlands, as the neighbours met in a playoff match to decide who would go to Mexico. The Oranje of 1986 included Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard and Marco Van Basten, and although these players were the finished article domestically, this force had yet to translate onto the international scene (that would come two years later).

The Rode Duivels made it through the group stage to face a Soviet Union side comprising of seven members of the Dynamo Kyiv, Cup Winners Cup team. The Soviets took the lead through Igor Belanov and the Belgians equalised just after the interval with a goal courtesy of Enzo Scifo. Belanov reinstated Russia’s lead before the Jan Ceulemans put the Belgians level once again. An Eric Gerets cross provided the opportunity for an unmarked Stéphane Demol to put the Belgians ahead for the first time and the result was effectively sealed by Nico Claesen. Igor Belanov completed his hat-trick to make the game 4-3 but the Rode Duivels held their nerve and made it to the last 8 for the first time in their history. Their quarter-final opponents were Spain, whose 85th minute equalizer from Juan Antonio Senor took the game into extra-time and then to penalties (Caulemens had given Belgium the lead after 35 minutes). Converted penalties from Claesen, Scifo, Hugo Broos, Patrick Vervoort and Leo van der Elst meant that the Belgians had reached the semi-final, Argentina and the man synonymous with that World Cup; Diego Maradona. Unfortunately, a 0-2 loss to the eventual champions, meant that Belgium would leave Mexico in fourth place but achieving their best finish ever in World Cup competition.

With Hiddink in charge on the side lines and Gerets leading on the pitch, the 1987-88 Eredivisie season turned out to be the most successful in PSV’s history. With the North Brabantian side scoring 117 goals, the league title was quickly secured with four matches remaining. The KNVB Cup was next and Roda JC were PSVs opponents. The game finished 3-2 to PSV in extra time and Gerets scored twice, the first and only time he would ever do so in his career. The European Cup campaign began with wins against Fenerbahce and Rapid Vienna; Bordeaux and Real Madrid were dispatched in the quarter and semi finals, respectively. The final against Benfica was held in Stuttgart and remained goalless after extra time meaning a penalty shootout would decide the tie. Converted penalties from Koeman, Kieft, Ivan Nielsen, Vanenburg, Lerby and Ivan Janssen kept the tie at deadlock until Hans Van Breukelen saved the sixth Benfica penalty by Antonio Veloso. PSV had won the European Cup and completed the treble.

The success of this European Cup win meant that PSV were able to sign Romario but lost Koeman who left the side to rejoin Johan Cruyff at Barcelona. Despite the loss of Koeman, the 1988-89 season title was secured once again and PSV also defeated Groningen in the KNVB Cup Final of that year. In the European Cup, Real Madrid returned their revenge for the previous seasons defeat by eliminating PSV in the quarter-finals. The following season PSV could only manage second in the league, but won the KNVB Cup after defeating Vitesse (1-0) and in 1990, Hiddink left to join Fenerbahche and was replaced by Bobby Robson.

In 1990, the now 36-year-old Gerets also went to the World Cup in Italy. It was to be his last major tournament and his Red Devils were knocked out by England in the second round after a late, memorable volley from David Platt. Following this defeat, Gerets handed the Captains armband to Francois van der Elst, bowing out of the national team with a total of 86 caps and two goals.

With Gerets retained as club captain by the incoming Robson, PSV won a further two league titles; the first one on goal difference (with Ajax) and the second one in the penultimate match against Groningen. Amidst this success, there were parallels with the Ruud Gullit saga, as another of PSV’s superstars became too big for the club with negative consequences. This time it was Romario; adored by the fans for his three consecutive golden boots (1989, 1990 and 1991) but who angered his teammates with unprofessionalism and selfishness. Robson’s frequent clashes with the Brazilian (and lack of European success) led to the Englishman’s sacking in 1992. By this time, Gerets was 38 years old and felt the time was right to bow out. The Belgian’s final match was against Tottenham Hotspur and ended with a goal. A penalty was conceded by Spurs and his teammates allowed him to step up. On the 60 minute mark, Gerets was substituted to an emotional standing ovation.

He left the pitch on that final day, considered to be one of the greatest players in Belgian football history and at his peak he was regarded as one of the best right-backs in Europe. His contribution to PSVs success is immeasurable; he provided the stability season after season and this allowed the club to build on their success. The bravery, courage and heart he offered on the pitch earned him a nickname: “The Lion (of Flanders)”. Few would have predicated this peak would have been after the age of 31. In light of the trying times which led to him signing for PSV, it was a nickname well and truly earned.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gerets was probably the best right-back in Europe at his very best.

MDFC Manager

@Raees the reason I asked about Boban is because you said you expect to lose the midfield battle and play compact. Will this not result in vastly underutilizing both Boban and Hagi? My point is that if you're going to play compact, you'd be better off having another Effenberg type in there. That, or actually lose the compactness a bit a play a bit more open? I kinda agree with Joga that being compact isn't necessarily a great idea against his midfield duo.

Sajeev also has a point about Mascherano. But again, if your aim is to be compact in midfield, you would find it harder to target Mascherano.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'd take Vieri playing against a high line any day. You get his pace on the break and still get the battering ram when the build up is slower and the defence drops deep. Works very well AFAIC, although I would agree with Suárez and Schuster there you may want a nippy striker with great movement. That said, the wingers do benefit from their passing and he is ideal for their crossses. Can't have your cake and eat it, I guess.