g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, but even the underrated versions of them are rated a lot higher than for example Sergio Ramos or Ze Roberto
I didn't really see enough of Ze Roberto on a week-to-week basis to really judge him fairly as a left back, but I probably am too harsh on Ramos. In general though it is strange and interesting how the 'tier' thing works in these threads. Ashley Cole is (rightly) seen as a decent and solid left back even in an all-time pool, yet Evra rarely warrants a mention even though there was so little to seperate them at their peaks.

Skizzo

I didn't really see enough of Ze Roberto on a week-to-week basis to really judge him fairly as a left back, but I probably am too harsh on Ramos. In general though it is strange and interesting how the 'tier' thing works in these threads. Ashley Cole is (rightly) seen as a decent and solid left back even in an all-time pool, yet Evra rarely warrants a mention even though there was so little to seperate them at their peaks.
I think it's like I've seen mentioned a few times. A lot of United players are good enough to feature in these drafts, but because we see them play so often, we remember all the bad moments with the good. Just a shame some players will always get a bum rap in these drafts.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't really see enough of Ze Roberto on a week-to-week basis to really judge him fairly as a left back.
The strange thing about Ze Roberto is that he rarely played as a leftback but it's still often considered as his main position. He played as a left sided midfielder at Leverkusen, sometimes as a wingback, with Kovac/Placente as leftbacks/left centerbacks in a back four/three. At Bayern (Lizarazu followed by Lahm at leftback) and for Brazil (Carlos at leftback) he was clearly a midfielder. He can play as an attacking fullback and as a winger, but it's not his best position. I'd say Ze Roberto is a bit underrated, he was fantastic at his peak (2002-2007) and a wonderful versatile midfielder, in my opinion Brazil's best player at the World Cup in 2006. In his best role he played similar to di Maria last season, probably a bit more defensive, but not that different overall. A central midfielder who loved to drift wide, overload the left wing in attack.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The strange thing about Ze Roberto is that he rarely played as a leftback but it's still often considered as his main position. He played as a left sided midfielder at Leverkusen, sometimes as a wingback, with Kovac/Placente as leftbacks/left centerbacks in a back four/three. At Bayern (Lizarazu followed by Lahm at leftback) and for Brazil (Carlos at leftback) he was clearly a midfielder. He can play as an attacking fullback and as a winger, but it's not his best position. I'd say Ze Roberto is a bit underrated, he was fantastic at his peak (2002-2007) and a wonderful versatile midfielder, in my opinion Brazil's best player at the World Cup in 2006. In his best role he played similar to di Maria last season, probably a bit more defensive, but not that different overall. A central midfielder who loved to drift wide, overload the left wing in attack.
Exactly, with Sajeev we had him in the shortlist as a wingback, but thought NM would do well picking him as the left-mid for his diamond. Wouldn't ever play him or pick him as a regular leftback.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye that sums him up for me. He can do the wing-back role well enough as shown at Leverkusen, and possibly as a left-back subject to it being the right set-up.

NM

Exactly, with Sajeev we had him in the shortlist as a wingback, but thought NM would do well picking him as the left-mid for his diamond. Wouldn't ever play him or pick him as a regular leftback.
Aye that sums him up for me. He can do the wing-back role well enough as shown at Leverkusen, and possibly as a left-back subject to it being the right set-up.
The idea here was to use him as a LB because the setup is perfect for it. We needed him to provide width on the left, and we had a CB next to him who was very comfortable covering for a player galloping forward.

Plus he has 2 very defensively minded midfielders in front of him. It was a very specific setup. Otherwise, I would never pick him as a normal LB in a 4-3-3- for example.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
DEFENSE

MARK SCHWARZER :
The Premier League player of the month Feb 2010 :p is a reliable keeper between the sticks. One of the finer keepers in the EPL for a decade or so, he was integral in both Middlesbrough's and Fulham's UEFA Cup final runs. He even won Fulham's player of the year in 09 and was named Australian footballer of the year in 09 & 2010, no mean feat for a keeper.

ASHLEY COLE : The most defensively astute left-back since Paolo Maldini and the greatest English LB ever. He was included in the PFA team of the year 4 times, won the Chelsea Player of the Year twice and England's POTY once. Provides plenty of pace and positioning to shackle the finest wingers while his nippy and incisive give-and-go game makes him a productive outlet on the left flank.

“Ashley is the best left-back England have ever had and he’s shown that again," says Lampard. "He has been brilliant.

“But that does not surprise me. I have seen him go toe to toe with the best names in the game and have never seen anyone get the better of him. Not Lionel Messi, not Cristiano Ronaldo, not anybody.
When pressed on the issue of the greatest LB he'd ever faced, C.Ronaldo told Sport-Express: "Ashley Cole. He's a very tough, tenacious football player."

JÜRGEN KOHLER : widely considered as the finest stopper and man marker ever in history of the game. A concrete wall of a stopper with his strength, positional play and precision tacking; he managed to blend that with exceptional tactical nous and reading of the game to form a fearsome package. Many a star attacker have fallen wayward against this defensive collosus who was imperious for successful German, Juve and Dortmund teams. Kohler once famously gave an interview that there were no strikers who made him have a hard time throughout his career.

FERNANDO HIERRO :
An outstanding player who could play in a central two or in midfield and was the rock Real Madrid relied on for five La Liga and three (yes, 3!) Champions League titles. It is primarily his attributes as a ball-playing defender that I will be drawing upon, although he has been known to hold a 1 in 2 record from midfield (26 goals in 1991-92). Maybe there won't be as many long range screamers from defence, but his eye for a pass, the headed goals and free kicks we can still count on.

TARCISIO BURGNICH : Simply put, Tarcisio Burgnich was known as “The Rock”. And, unlike some of football’s quaint old nicknames, there’s rarely been one so apt. Burgnich was, essentially, a formidable presence that opposition attackers found very difficult to get around or by. He effectively set the template for the Italian defensive stereotype: uncompromising and unforgiving. Fittingly, “the rock” proved one of the building blocks to two for Italy’s greatest ever teams: the international side of 1968-70 that won the European Championships and got to the final of the World Cup; and Helenio Herrera’s La Grande Inter. Of course, not only were they great Italian sides. But also two of the most durable defensive sides.

MIDFIELD

JAVIER MASCHERANO :
A terrier of an enforcer, Mascherano has been one of the best holding midfielder in recent history. Played extremely well for Pool allowing Gerrard and Alonso to build on the foundation he created. Voted man of the match in 07 CL final where he nullified Kaka and Seedorf heavily. One of the players of the 2014 WC, Mascherano was unbelievable. Whilst Messi was the captain on paper, Mascherano marshalled the stingy defense and took Robben out of the game and capped it off with a brilliant last ditch challenge at the cost of his anus :lol:.

LUISITO SUÁREZ MIRAMONTES

BERND SCHUSTER : The Blonde Angel is the midfield general my central midfield will revolve around. Balu and Brwned agree he was the best German playmaker of the last 30 years, but it isn't just his brain and effortless spraying of killer passes which he brings to the table. He was a determined and competitive character who would get stuck in as much as the meanest defensive midfielders when it came to it.

He took the world by storm in the 1980 Euros and may have made it three in a row for Germany had it not been for injury in 1982 and a fallout with the German FA thereafter. Winner of the Ballon d'Or Silver Ball in 1980 as a 20 year old and the Bronze Ball in 1981 & 1985, he bossed the midfield for 3 of Spain's biggest clubs (Real, Barca & Atletico). As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only player I've seen play alongside Maradona and not look like an understudy. Immense.

The guys on this clip mention he was a Pirlo mixed with Effenberg's power, but that doesn't account for his movement and one-twos upfront, which is the only bonus from clips focusing on goals and not his glorious passing, that you get to see that side of his game too:​
Aragones also said that Schuster read the game as well as anyone he'd ever seen, "Sometimes while sat on the bench I thought it would be perfect now if he passed the ball forward and he would! He would always pass at the right time".
Even the robotic Lothar Matthäus grieved after his departure, saying, "Schuster is a genius. One of the best players the Bundesliga has seen, if not the best. Bayer Leverkusen have lost a piece of their heart without him."
Beckenbauer - "He will be the big leader in the World Cup 1982. His new time in Spain will be very good for his personal improvement. In midfield he is great and in the Libero position he could be a good successor of mine"
Maradona - "The 'Blond' is the only player who could help me in my difficult time in Barcelona, either in and out the field. We have quality enough to understand each other into the field. He is a master. I was trying to shot like him, to imitate to him...We were some times together shooting after the training was over.

WINGERS/FORWARDS

ZOLTÁN CZIBOR :
A Mighty Magyar and part of the Honved side which was the base of that side. Widely regarded as the best left winger in his day and one of the best of all time. He went into mazing runs dribbling at full pelt, executed accurately when delivering and had a knack for scoring important goals, including a crucial one in the semi and another in the final. Formed a legendary forward line for Barça alongside Suárez which outscored and beat Di Stefano's Real to the title on goal difference.
PIERRE LITTBARSKI : One of the best wing-forwards in history and perhaps the greatest German winger ever. Litti had everything you'd want from your wing-forward, explosive pace and dribbling, insane close control, ability to cut in and score goals or go outside and deliver telling crosses and passes. Basically a hybrid creative outside right and a goalscoring inside forward rolled into one.

Litti was part of the German team which made 3 WC Finals and won one of them. In 82 WC, he scored an important goal in a 2-1 second round match against Spain and had a brilliant game against Platini's France in the semis, scoring a goal, assisting Hrubesh for the equaliser and scoring in the penalty shootout. A dream of a player to possess.

Just watch this video FFS!

CHRISTIAN VIERI: Bobo was a beast. A classic CF with bags of pace and built like a tank. He was unplayable at his peak dominating aerially and in one on one situations. A fearsome physical presence who remains the all-time top scorer of headed goals in Serie A. A ruthless finisher however the chances came to him, grabbing the Pichichi with 24 in 24 for Atletico and banging in 103 in 143 for Inter. Also awarded best player in Serie A and best Italian player twice, he got the WC Silver and Bronze boot on the back of a 9 in 9 World Cup record for a typically miserly Italy (unfortunately injured in 2006)

Heavily plagiarized. Credit to (esp) @antohan , @Gio , @Fergus' son

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The idea here was to use him as a LB because the setup is perfect for it. We needed him to provide width on the left, and we had a CB next to him who was very comfortable covering for a player galloping forward.

Plus he has 2 very defensively minded midfielders in front of him. It was a very specific setup. Otherwise, I would never pick him as a normal LB in a 4-3-3- for example.
Yeah, the way your team was shaping up I fully expected you to pick him. I actually told sajeev your last two picks would be Demyanenko and Zé!

It won't work further down the line if you are facing a quality winger, but there aren't that many of those and you defo needed someone providing width out left more than you needed a defender.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
BTW during my research on Schuster, I came across this gem of a quote page. Knew some of them but hadn't come across a few before.

I'm sure fellow Blond Angel fans @Chesterlestreet & @antohan will love it.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/berndschuster/whattheysay.html

Maybe @Balu can verify some of them if he's come across them before because a few sound like absolute pisstakes like this one.

Helenio Herrera : "Believe me, I am not an homosexual, but I am really in love with this footballer, I love him!"

Ffs :lol:

Collection of a few of the best ones

Michel Platini : "There is only one player whom I can say he impressed me much. He is the German Bernd Schuster. He was really a top one. I had the chance to play face to face with him, I remember we have played a friendship game in Barcelona in 1982 (UNICEF game) and his movements, his football scoop, his skills... he was a master"

Maradona : "The 'Blond' is the only player who could help me in my difficult time in Barcelona, either in and out the field. We have quality enough to understand each other into the field. He is a master. I was trying to shot like him, to imitate to him...We were some times together shooting after the training was over. Out of the stadium he is charming, valiant and sincere, he will be forever my friend as he said always what he things and he never tried to hide his character in the harder moments. I am grateful for his support and his words"

Maradona : I am very happy here in Italy. Here the stars are protected, not prosecuted. Bernd Schuster should come to play in Italy. I would pay money to bring him here, to play with Bernd here in the same team altogether again

Franz Beckenbauer : "As a player he was an absolute master, I have to say. Not many players have such quality and performance."

Matthäus : "Bernd Schuster is a master, it was impressive to play this game today against him. Bayer Leverkusen has won FC Bayern today just because they have a player called Bernd Schuster. He is the difference. He is the best of the world, he has invented top games today".

Rinus Michels, Dutch coaching in Germany: "I have arrived to FC Koeln too late. It is a big hit to me to find a team without Bernd Schuster. The president told to me it was a necessary lost. I know he will be a big star. He can be a great midfielder or a great libero. It will be impossible to me to find a good replacement for him here in FC Koeln

Rainor Bonhof : "It is a pity what has happened to Bernd. The situation ws in the very edge betweenhim and the trainer Heddergott. He will be a great footballer, he is strong like a Neeskens with the quality of Cruyff.

Effenberg : "If Bernd can mantain the level, I will loose my job in the German National Team, every thing he does is top, his passes to Kirsten and Thom are extremely dangerous"

Hierro : Atletico Madrid has got a perfect conductor for the team. If Bernd is motivated they will reach a great level. I hope the best for Schuster...except when he plays against us"

Bild : "Schuster is a genius, he ruled Matthaeus and the rest. We need the Blond Angel to be World Champions"

Kicker : Schuster is a winner, he showed us he still is a genius managing football, he is the big master of the football school"

Vogts : "I was not interested to introduce new payers int he Natinonal Team becasue we are planning the World Cup 1994 the next summer... But if Bernd Schuster can mantain this level, vit is a must to call to him. It is pleasant to watch Bernd playing, conducting, managing...He was not 13 in the dessert, he was playign in Spain. Since Beckenbauer, German football has not seen a player like this, only Schuster"

Jose Luis Nunez, FC Barcelona president : "Bernd Schuster is the best player I have ever seen during my time as a president. I bought him and I thought he was expensive for a 20 teenager...but he was really cheap. The cheaper in the history of the club. His performance is out of any doubt and I cannot assume the time of the 1980's in the club if we were decided not to buy him

Luis Aragonés, Spanish legendary player and trainer: "He's one of the best players I've ever coached. He is a step over th rest. Due to his winner character and his quality level. In the trainings he worked as the best and on the field he was very intelligent. I was always a big fan of him and he knows it. I have nothing to explain him related football. He knows all about it, he knows what I want every time during the game, in a kind of mental link!.He always choses the best option in the game. It is a privilege to have such a player managing midfield and managing the team. I felt really confidence to have such a Master to trust in".

Can't vouch for the reliability of some of those quotes but regardless he was one heck of a player.

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/players/profiles/schuster.htm

Here's a excellent article chronicling Schuster's crazy and brilliant career. Read it if you have the time or better yet just watch him play. Sheer genius.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

This was supposed to be a sheep draft Joga. Not an all time snake draft. Some cheating has been going on here for sure. Where is your DaMarcus? Where is your Landa? Damn you.

NM

@Joga Bonito I look for weakness, and can't find it. Top team. Alas, Mascherano is a cnut, so I still hate it!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Stielike is the one I'm totally baffled about... with so many wingers blocked and teams banking on wingbacks and attacking fullbacks, you would think he would be handy, wouldn't you? Apparently not.
Figured that he won't fit well in the side with Alonso in it. I'm sad to see him missing out.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Hey do you mind starting the match now as I'll be here for the next 2-3 hours before slipping off for the next 6-7. Don't want to miss the start of the match if possible. If you are going to log off soon and will only be back later, then that's fine too and the match can be started later as per your convenience.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hey do you mind starting the match now as I'll be here for the next 2-3 hours before slipping off for the next 6-7. Don't want to miss the start of the match if possible. If you are going to log off soon and will only be back later, then that's fine too and the match can be started later as per your convenience.
Not at all, mate. I'm ready.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Player Profile (select players)

Goalkeeper

Thomas Nkono - ranked as the greatest African keeper of all-time. He is the man who was Buffon's idol and responsible for the young lad transitioning from an outfield player to the the position of goalkeeper such were the brilliance of his exploits at the 1990 world cup. He named his son Thomas in his honour.

In 2002, N'Kono was arrested by riot police for allegedly using "black magic", prior to the African Cup of Nations semi-final against Mali (3–0 win). He was dragged onto the running track after stepping onto the pitch at the 26 March Stadium, alongside coach Winfried Schäfer, and eventually received a one-year ban, which was then lifted, although he was not allowed to sit on the bench for the final. There was speculation that an object found in his pocket was a black-magic charm aimed at helping Cameroon's cause

Defence

Eric Gerets

Eric Maria Gerets was born on 18th May, 1954 in Rekem, Belgium.Gerets began his career playing for his local amateur team AA Rekem, before joining the then Belgian league title holders Standard Liege.Initially, Gerets was unable to break into the first team under Rene Hauss, as the titleholders were packed with such talent as Wilfried Van Moer, Christian Piot , Nico Dewalque, Jean Thiessen and Leon Semmeling. Gerets eventually made his debut on 16 April, 1972; replacing Silvester Takac in a league game against FC Diest. Despite making this debut in the 1971-72 season, Gerets did not become a regular until the following season, when he replaced the 29-year old Liege stalwart and Belgian International, Jacques Beurlet as the first choice right-back for the Rouches. These formative years at Standard Liege were not marked by success either, as the mid to late 70s marked a decline in Liege’s fortunes and they seemed destined to finish third in the league each season (after Club Brugge and Anderlecht).

Despite the lack of domestic success, Gerets had developed into a tough, disciplined and tactically shrewd right back; this progression meant that inevitably Gerets would soon gain his first international cap and did so on October 1975, against the GDR. This cap would herald the beginning of an international career that would end with him becoming the Rode Duivelsthird most capped player with 86 appearances.

Gerets played at four major tournaments, with the first being the 1980 European Championship in Italy. Gerets only scored two goals in his entire international career and one of these would come in this tournament as he scored the opening goal in the 2–1 win against Spain which ensured that Belgium qualified as group winners. The Belgium team of 1980 is considered to be the first of the nations ‘golden generation’ and certainly most exciting to emerge at that time due to the offensively-minded Erwin Vandenbergh, Jan Caulemans, Julien Cools, Francois van der Elst and Liege teammate Van Moer. Raymond Goethals’ team wowed audiences and defied expectation by reaching the final that year but lost to West Germany by a single goal (1–2) scored by Horst Hrubesch two minutes from time. Two years later, the World Cup in Spain arrived and Gerets had already been handed the Captains armband. Despite a famous victory over defending champions Argentina, however; the Gerets led Belgians could only manage the 2ndround.

The 1980s arrived with an ambitious Standard Liege determined to replicate the success of the late 60’s / early 70’s. To achieve this, theRouches hired a succession of managers including legendary Feyenoord manager Ernst Happel, before settling on a Cup Winners Cup winning coach known in some circles as “le sorcier” or “le magicien”, but formally known as Raymond Goethals. The determination of the Liege board meant that Goethals was given the funds to fit out the Liege side with proven talent, as well as dipping into the clubs own youth team pool. Weathering the influx of newcomers, Gerets remained in defence and became a Captain who would lead established, older players such as like Arie Haan, Simon Tahamata, Walter Meeuws and Jos Daerden, as well as greener, youth team graduates such as Guy Vandermissen and Michel Preud’homme. Harnessing this fine balance of youth and experience, Standard finished runners up in the league in 1980, before winning the national cup in 1981 with a 4–1 win over Lokeren SC. This team had broken their duck with the cup victory and under Gerets’ captaincy, the Rouches would go on to win two consecutive titles and reach a European Cup Winners Cup Final, losing to Barcelona. Despite this, individually Gerets would go on lift his aforementioned 2nd title and was also presented with the 1982 Golden Shoe as Belgium’s best league player. In what was to be his last season at the club, Gerets captained Liege to their ninth league title; one which would prove to be their last for 25 years.

In 1983, Gerets was 29 and for several years had longed for a transfer abroad. When that call finally came, it was from AC Milan. Gerets left Standard and as per tradition, Internazionale made what they believed to be an equivalent signing to upstage their rivals (see Klinsman, Breame & Matthaus to Inter in order to upstage the Rossoneris signings of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard) so Ludo Coeck moved from Anderlecht to the Nerazzurri that same summer. Whilst Gerets and his new teammates struggled to curb Juve’s dominance; a storm was brewing back home in Belgium.

An investigation had been carried out into bribery and corruption in Belgian football and the inquiry had uncovered unxeplained and / or suspicious transactions in the Standard Liege bank accounts dating back to the 1981/82 season. Raymond Goethals and numerous Liege players past and present, were arrested and questioned – despite some of whom being in training with the national team at this time – Eric Gerets was one of those players. Confessions were given and some admitted that, in 1982, they had bribed the players of Waterschei at the behest of Goethals, who was concerned that the title would be lost if it was not purchased. Goethals, the Waterschei and Liege players were found guilty and subsequently suspended by the Belgian FA. Gerets received a suspension of one year and ended his Milan career, playing only thirteen games; the suspension would also mean that he would also miss the next European Championship in France.

By the time the ban had been lifted, Eric Gerets was in his early 30’s and when he was approached by Dutch side MVV Maastricht, it appeared that his career was winding down and that he would be condemned to a succession of roles in lower leagues. Gerets accepted the offer and the right back took shelter with MVV for half a season, before a surprising phone call came from PSV Eindhoven manager Jan Reker.

PSV were in a period of stagnation. It had been eight years since last Eredivise title, nine years since their last KNVB cup victory and seven years since their last European trophy. When Jan van Beveren lifted that UEFA Cup on that night 26 April, 1978; little did he or his teammates know that this would signal the end of that team and be the beginning of such a barren period. The following season it started; a6-0 UEFA Cup loss against Saint-Etienne hastened the sacking of Kees Rijvers, a man who had led the North Brabant side to three consecutive titles and two cups. The Captain van Beveren, disillusioned by this sacking and the state of Dutch football; left the Netherlands unhappily for the NASL after spending a decade at the club and accumulating 291 league games. Next, frequent clashes between record goalscorer Willy Van der Kuijlen and Rijvers’ replacement Thijs Libregts led to the former’s departure in 1982 after 18 seasons at the club and accumulating 308 goals in 528 games.

In 1985, this torpor forced the club chairmen Jacques Ruts and Kees Ploegsma into a new way of thinking and change of direction. The new era began when Hans Kraay Snr, became the new director of football; followed by the appointment of Jan Reker as coach. These two men would work together to build the team that would take its first steps in attaining Eredivisie dominance once more. Under this new regime, a different kind of player was signed – cultured performers and players with flair such as like Ruud Gullit from Feyenoord, Soren Lerby from Monaco and Gerald Vanenburg from Ajax. One of the first signings of the era was Eric Gerets and he joined alongside Frank Arsnesen and Gullit. With the team already claiming talented stalwarts like Huub Stevens and Willy van de Kerkhof; under the Captaincy of Gullit, PSV headed the league table for the majority of the 1985-86 season before claiming the Eredivisie with an emphatic 8-2 win against Go Ahead Eagles.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The following season, the new era of stability was shaken by an instance of infighting which harkened back to the then recent past; Gullit criticized the club and (now manager) Hans Kraay Snr. in an interview and the subsequent warning Gullit received was deemed too lenient by Kraay, who himself resigned also. He was replaced by 41 year old Guus Hiddink, in his first managerial role upon graduating from assistant to Kraay. Hiddink immediately allowed Gullit to join AC Milan and replaced the gap in the team by signing Ronald Koeman from Ajax; handing the Captains armband to Eric Gerets in the process.

In 1986, the Belgian national team’s ‘Golden Generation’ would fulfill their potential. The manager Guy Thys retained the team that had, since 1980, established themselves as players on the main stage. With Gerets marshaling defense and Jean-Marie Pfaff minding goal, the team had a backbone which gave confidence to an extremely dangerous midfield dominated by Anderlecht players. Such is the standing of the Belgian league at that time, that Gerets and Pfaff were the only two players in the side which did not play domestic football in their own country. Qualification had been at the expense of the Netherlands, as the neighbours met in a playoff match to decide who would go to Mexico. The Oranje of 1986 included Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard and Marco Van Basten, and although these players were the finished article domestically, this force had yet to translate onto the international scene (that would come two years later).

The Rode Duivels made it through the group stage to face a Soviet Union side comprising of seven members of the Dynamo Kyiv, Cup Winners Cup team. The Soviets took the lead through Igor Belanov and the Belgians equalised just after the interval with a goal courtesy of Enzo Scifo. Belanov reinstated Russia’s lead before the Jan Ceulemans put the Belgians level once again. An Eric Gerets cross provided the opportunity for an unmarked Stéphane Demol to put the Belgians ahead for the first time and the result was effectively sealed by Nico Claesen. Igor Belanov completed his hat-trick to make the game 4-3 but the Rode Duivels held their nerve and made it to the last 8 for the first time in their history. Their quarter-final opponents were Spain, whose 85th minute equalizer from Juan Antonio Senor took the game into extra-time and then to penalties (Caulemens had given Belgium the lead after 35 minutes). Converted penalties from Claesen, Scifo, Hugo Broos, Patrick Vervoort and Leo van der Elst meant that the Belgians had reached the semi-final, Argentina and the man synonymous with that World Cup; Diego Maradona. Unfortunately, a 0-2 loss to the eventual champions, meant that Belgium would leave Mexico in fourth place but achieving their best finish ever in World Cup competition.

With Hiddink in charge on the side lines and Gerets leading on the pitch, the 1987-88 Eredivisie season turned out to be the most successful in PSV’s history. With the North Brabantian side scoring 117 goals, the league title was quickly secured with four matches remaining. The KNVB Cup was next and Roda JC were PSVs opponents. The game finished 3-2 to PSV in extra time and Gerets scored twice, the first and only time he would ever do so in his career. The European Cup campaign began with wins against Fenerbahce and Rapid Vienna; Bordeaux and Real Madrid were dispatched in the quarter and semi finals, respectively. The final against Benfica was held in Stuttgart and remained goalless after extra time meaning a penalty shootout would decide the tie. Converted penalties from Koeman, Kieft, Ivan Nielsen, Vanenburg, Lerby and Ivan Janssen kept the tie at deadlock until Hans Van Breukelen saved the sixth Benfica penalty by Antonio Veloso. PSV had won the European Cup and completed the treble.

The success of this European Cup win meant that PSV were able to sign Romario but lost Koeman who left the side to rejoin Johan Cruyff at Barcelona. Despite the loss of Koeman, the 1988-89 season title was secured once again and PSV also defeated Groningen in the KNVB Cup Final of that year. In the European Cup, Real Madrid returned their revenge for the previous seasons defeat by eliminating PSV in the quarter-finals. The following season PSV could only manage second in the league, but won the KNVB Cup after defeating Vitesse (1-0) and in 1990, Hiddink left to join Fenerbahche and was replaced by Bobby Robson.

In 1990, the now 36-year-old Gerets also went to the World Cup in Italy. It was to be his last major tournament and his Red Devils were knocked out by England in the second round after a late, memorable volley from David Platt. Following this defeat, Gerets handed the Captains armband to Francois van der Elst, bowing out of the national team with a total of 86 caps and two goals.

With Gerets retained as club captain by the incoming Robson, PSV won a further two league titles; the first one on goal difference (with Ajax) and the second one in the penultimate match against Groningen. Amidst this success, there were parallels with the Ruud Gullit saga, as another of PSV’s superstars became too big for the club with negative consequences. This time it was Romario; adored by the fans for his three consecutive golden boots (1989, 1990 and 1991) but who angered his teammates with unprofessionalism and selfishness. Robson’s frequent clashes with the Brazilian (and lack of European success) led to the Englishman’s sacking in 1992. By this time, Gerets was 38 years old and felt the time was right to bow out. The Belgian’s final match was against Tottenham Hotspur and ended with a goal. A penalty was conceded by Spurs and his teammates allowed him to step up. On the 60 minute mark, Gerets was substituted to an emotional standing ovation.

He left the pitch on that final day, considered to be one of the greatest players in Belgian football history and at his peak he was regarded as one of the best right-backs in Europe. His contribution to PSVs success is immeasurable; he provided the stability season after season and this allowed the club to build on their success. The bravery, courage and heart he offered on the pitch earned him a nickname: “The Lion (of Flanders)”. Few would have predicated this peak would have been after the age of 31. In light of the trying times which led to him signing for PSV, it was a nickname well and truly earned.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ricardo Carvalho

The Portuguese Nesta - one of the games prime defenders at his peak.. complete in every sense. Tough, elegant, pacey, super intelligent and a master of the dark arts. He was the centre-back every top side craved and Real Madrid craved him like no other. Mourinho called him the best in the world and he knows a thing or two about defenders. The best defender in the world during 04-06.. unstoppable. He had a particular thing about Barcelona and he loved stopping Messi in his tracks..

Zvonmir Boban

He was arguably one of the most talented players to play for Milan in the 1990’s. An impressive feat in a team that was made up of legends. Zvonimir Boban combined skill, intelligence, and an outstanding passing range with a devastating shot; he is sometimes easy to forget just how good he was. Video of him against Prime Juve...

Boban played 109 games for Croatian giants Dinamo Zagreb, having made his debut aged 16, he was club captain by the time he was 19. This led to his eventual call up for the Yugoslavian national team, of which he was capped 7 times. In 1987 he was part of the Yugoslav side that won the FIFA Youth World Cup, playing alongside Davor Suker, Predrag Mijatovic and Robert Prosinecki.

His chance to enter Croatian myth came in Zagreb on 13 May, 1990. Yugoslavia was then still uneasily holding its various nationalities together. Boban’s team Dynamo Zagreb, from the capital of Croatia, were playing the Serb team (Serbia controlled the majority of Yugoslavia, to the distaste of Croats) Red Star Belgrade in a league match that degenerated into hooliganism. Boban spotted a policeman beating up a Dinamo fan who had tripped. Boban decided to come to the aid of his fellow Nationalist, and kicked the Serbian police man in the face. This was seen as “the symbol of the uprising against the 70-year Serb domination in Yugoslavia.” Many Croats feel that with that kick their nation was born.

The psychopath Arkan, who had led Red Star’s hooligans at the match in Zagreb, and became a brutal Serb paramilitary leader in the war, subsequently recalled: “After that game we immediately began to organize ourselves.” Boban was banned for 6 months by the powers to be, and unfortunately missed the 1990 World Cup, where Yugoslavia reached the quarter finals.

It is obviously wrong to think that Boban started the war, politicians started the war. But he was seen by Croat’s as a national symbol, a living martyr. So as troubles increased in his home country, Boban left for Lombardia in 1991 to sign for AC Milan under Fabio Capello in a deal worth £8m. Milan’s current website recognised him as a legend, and on his page they pay homage to “His great technical skills, his good insight into the game and his great tactical malleability bringing him to cover different roles in the midfield”

Boban was integral to the greatest Milan side of all time, which dominated an entire decade. At the club he won 4 Scudetto titles in 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1999. Playing alongside some of the greatest players of all time, Boban complimented Ruud Gullit in the centre of midfield and played infront of the most solid back-line in history: Tassotti, Baresi, Maldini and Costacurta. The 1993 side also accompanied Donadoni, Rijkaard, Savicevic, Jean-Pierra Papin and van Basten. During his Milan stint, he would play alongside greats Bierhoff, Weah, Marco Simone, Baggio, Di Canio, Davids, Kluivert, Leonardo, Ayala, Shevchenko and Redondo.

His partnership with Demetrio Albertini would become synonymous for having a touch of class and complete tactical awareness. Boban himself, technically was a genius and had a devastating ability to produce breath taking goals. These were taken from distance, with his head or from a graceful and fluid running pattern with the ball which was fuelled by his raw aggression and determination.

The 1994 Champions League final was one of the greatest of all time. It was Milan vs Barca. Capello vs Cruyff. Barcelona and their ‘dream team’ featured Guardiola, Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario, they were expected to easily defeat the Milan squad that featured youngsters Panucci and also Desailly infront of the back four. This was Boban’s finest hour as he helped Milan to a staggering 4-0 victory.

Boban could play in any role in midfield and his ability to adapt and be flexible made him indispensable. He would not just be able to ‘fit in’ and ‘do a job’; in the role he was asked to fill. On the contrary, he would play that role as well as the man who was there before him, if not better.

He played for his beloved Croatia 51 times and captained them to 3rd place at the 1998 World Cup finals “Croatia is the reason I live,” he declared in the documentary film The Last Yugoslavian Football Team. “I love my country as I love myself. I would die for Croatia.”

Following retirement from the game, Boban has gone on to complete a history degree at the University of Zagreb, submitting his thesis on “Christianity in the Roman Empire” (which funnily enough I only read about last night, it was Constantine the Emperor who was converted in 312 AD, anyway..). Always regarded as an articulate man, he reads widely and impressed many with his eloquence and knowledge of world literature, history and political affairs. Upon completing his degree he is quoted as saying: “Only after four years of study have I understood how little it is that I know. Learning new stuff serves one solely to understand the insignificance of one’s knowledge.”

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks like Skizzo and Balu aren't here. Is there anyone else online, willing to start our game?

Edit : Will delete this post after someone responds so that it doesn't interfere with your write ups
Don't worry, I'll just write them in the thread.

VivaJanuzaj

Player Profiles
Angelo Peruzzi - One of the best Italian GKs of all time, Peruzzi has only 31 caps for Italy simply because he was born in Buffon's era. That didn't stop him from being one of the best keepers in the Seria A in the 90s, leading Juventus to the 1995-96 CL title, followed by two runner up campaigns, 1 Uefa Cup title, 3 Seria A titles and 5 more cups. In his career, Peruzzi won 'Seria A GK of the year' 3 times, twice in Juventus and once with Lazio.

Thomas Berthold - A name you might've not heard in these drafts before, Thomas Berthold is a WC winning RB and is regarded as a German defending legend. When Berthold was 23 years old, he made a move that most German players were afraid to - and moved abroad to Italy where he spent 4 good seasons in Verona and Roma. He than moved to Bayern Munich and after a couple of unsuccessful seasons in Bayern he moved to Stuttgart where he thrived. In 1990, Berthold started in every match of the 1990 WC with West Germany, playing a main role in the team who would eventually lift the trophy under Beckenbauer. Berthold started his career as a right midfielder, than moving to attacking RB and eventually settling as a pretty balanced RB, who could both attack and defend, but as the days went by he was more known for his defensive abilities which made him play either RB or CB.

Ciro Ferrara - Like Peruzzi, Ferrara is an Italian legend. Ciro split his career between Juventus and Napoli, in both he played more than 240 appearances. Ciro has no less than 8 Seria A titles in his career, 1 CL title, 2 Coppa Italia, 1 UEFA Cup and the list goes on and on. Ferrara also had a small part in Italy's 3rd place finish in 1990 WC, but found it hard to squeeze in the team with the amount of quality in Italy's backline with the likes of Bergomi, Baresi, Maldini and Vierchowod beating him to it.

Pietro Vierchowod - Vierchowod is a monster, he is one of the greatest CBs of all time thanks to his physical presence and speed. Vierchowod is a classic stopper, he is light on his feet, tackles really strongly and dives into tackles to block the attackers and he was a superb man maker. Vierchowod's title list is short, because he chose to spend most of his career in the small Sampdoria, in which he managed to win the Scudetto once and lifting the Coppa Italia 3 times. He's only CL glory came with Peruzzi and Ferrara in Juventus in 1995-96, when Vierchowod was an older and came as the "experienced CB" to Juventus, Vierchowod-Ferrara was the defensive duo at the back at that final against Ajax, and they were fantastic together even when Vierchowod wasn't at his prime. Pietro has 562 Seria A matches, only fifth to Maldini, Gianluca Pagliuca, Dino Zoff & Javier Zanetti.
*Gary Lineker: "Vierchowod was the hardest defender I ever faced".. "He was absolutely brutal and lightning quick.. He gave me one or two digs".
Gianluca Zambrotta - Zambrotta is one of the best attacking full backs in history, and was known mostly for it and his ability to play both sides as an attacking full back. Zambrotta's overlap was one of the things managers feared mostly when facing his team, because he had so much energy going forward it was sometimes unstoppable. Zambrotta had so much influence on his teams, he got a place in 2004 UEFA Euro team of the tournament, 2006 UEFA team of the year, FIFPRO world XI in 2006, and the 2006 WC All-Star Team after being one of the key players in Italy's 2006 WC triumph.

Dunga - 'Carlos Caetano Bledorn Verri' or simply, Dunga, is a Brazilian mastermind. Unlike most Brazilian players at his time, Dunga wasn't all about Joga Bonito, and he went to play the DM role in which he excelled for Brazil NT and club football. Dunga wasn't the classic ball winning midfielder, since he was rather short(1.76m) he had more speed than most DMs, and more ball control. Dunga played a key role in Brazil's NT campaign of 1994 in which they won the WC, playing mostly next to Mauro Silva. Don't let that fact confuse you, Dunga didn't need another DM next to him, it's just allowed more players to push forward and play that Brazilian style of play. In fact, Dunga can comfortably sit as the lone DM if he's got little support from midfield because Dunga has the whole package - he's really good on the ball, and also a very hard tackler with a great read of the game. Dunga is the only player alongside Xavi, who have played in the WC, Olympic games, Confederations Cup and Continental Championship final.

Roy Keane - I really don't know what I can tell you about Keane that you don't know. A brilliant cnut, which we all love, who could do pretty much everything - he can defend like no one can, he can make bursting runs forward and add plenty of energy to any attacking side and I gave him the perfect role for him. He's not in the role of playing the DM which restricts his movements forward, and he's not the "attacking CM" which wouldn't have been sufficient for the attack. No, Keane plays the B2B role in which he could be even greater than he was in United's 4-4-2, especially when he is partnered once more with he's beloved Paul Scholes.
This vid has it's fair share of Keane fouls, but also has some amazing tackles on brilliant players. If that doesn't make you miss Keane, nothing will:

Paul Scholes - Like Keano, Scholes gets to join his best partner in midfield, together they formed a partnership that for some of us will always be regarded as the best midfield duo in history(because yeah, we're a bit bias). Scholes & Keane have tremendous understanding of each other, but they always had this one problem - they were all too offensive and regarded at times to be 'too gung-ho'. With Dunga added to give the boys some freedom, Scholes-Keane will thrive. Younger Scholes, who loved coming from midfield after starting an attack and moving into the box and finishing it off will love this setup in which he could do just that, or stay lurking outside the box and give the opponent some hell with his long shots. Plus, the fact that Dunga is the allows Scholes to choose more freely when he wants to drop deep and help defending, as he won't be required to do it as much as he did in the 4-4-2.
I'll leave you to it with a Scholesy classic passing&shooting video

Luis Figo - A legend. Figo is one of the best wingers of all time and is was absolutely unplayable at his prime. Figo could do anything, wether it's scoring(over 100 career goals), assisting, beating the marker or just helping with the build up. Figo was renowned for his ability to beat his marker using his creativity and endless speed, because I can't begin to point out the amount of titles he won, I'll just show it to you:

Pavel Nedved - The Czech wonderkid, I have to be honest he's one of my favorite player to pick in these drafts because he is so all-round and complete, he gives so much to the attack while still constantly tracking back and helping out his full back. When you got a player like Nedved in your team you know you'll get your money's worth because Nedved is just tireless in his movement on and off the ball. Nedved scored over 100 career club goals, and assisted plenty.

Hernan Crespo - Crespo will always seem to be remembered for his later years, instead of being remembered for the monster he was during his Parma & Lazio time. 101 goals in 170 Seria A appearances for the two humble clubs who weren't giants in an era which had some of the best defenses of all time in the Seria A. Crespo, found the net often against some of the best defenders of all time, finishing as the Seria A top scorer in 2000-01, scoring 26 goals in 34 matches leading Lazio to 3rd place beating the likes of Batistuta, Shevchenko, Vieri & Trezeguet to the top scorer title. Hopefully, you'll remember Crespo for his unstoppable time at Lazio & Parma and not for his bad time later on.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Tuesday - MJJ vs NM
Wednesday - Raees vs Joga Bonito
Thursday - Harms vs VivaJanuzaj
---------- NoPace vs Edgar Allan Pillow
Friday - Stobzilla vs KPS88
Saturday - Kazi vs Cutch
Sunday - available
Monday - available
Tuesday - available
Annahnomoss when suits?

Friday or Saturday would be best for me.
You choose completely!
Sunday isn't OK for me but both Monday and Tuesday are.
next tuesday works really well for me
Just looking at the 2 games missing from the schedule. If boris v Annah is going to be Friday/saturday it might kill the momentum of this a bit if Sajeev v MDFC isnt played til Tuesday. Any chance you 2 lads could do a friday/saturday (whichever day the other 2 dont pick)? @MDFC Manager @sajeev

@Skizzo

NM

@VivaJanuzaj aside from the weirdness of seeing Keane and Scholes in a midfield 3, that is a top top side.

Only slight weakness is the full backs (in the context of this draft).

VivaJanuzaj

@VivaJanuzaj aside from the weirdness of seeing Keane and Scholes in a midfield 3, that is a top top side.

Only slight weakness is the full backs (in the context of this draft).
Yeah I'll explain more on it with my tactics in mind in the matchday thread, but I really think that against most teams here, with the quality of midfields around, Scholes-Keane by themselves aren't defensive enough.

And yeah, full backs aren't my strength atm but I'm pleased with what I've got, a good balance between one superb offensively(with a really good defensively winger to help him) and one strong defensively one(with a winger with more freedom in front of him).

Man for man you have improved the 99 midfield that's without adding dunga into the mix.

A few improvements and you can easily win this draft imo.
Thanks mate, I hope I'll go through round one than it's open game imo, lots of great teams around and my first round won't be a walk in the park.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Laszlo Kubala

Serenity in a Time of Chaos

Kubala was born to a Slovak-Polish-Hungarian mother and a Slovak father on the 10th June 1927 in Budapest, Hungary. The young Kubala, or ‘Kuksi’, lived a happy childhood, sheltered from the tempestuous pre-war years. He had football in his blood, and his father who was a bricklayer by profession, had also played in his day. His mother, a factory worker, made her son cardboard and paper balls with which to play – his neighbourhood referred to him as “the boy with the ball”.

In January 1949, as Hungary became a socialist state, Kubala fled the country in the back of a truck. Initially he arrived in the United States zone of Allied-occupied Austria and then moved on to Italy. While he played briefly for Pro Patria. In May 1949 he also agreed to play for Torino in a testimonial against S.L. Benfica but pulled out after his son became ill. On the way back from Lisbon the plane carrying the Torino team crashed into the Superga hills, killing all 31 people on board.

Meanwhile the Hungarian Football Federation accused him of breach of contract, leaving the country without permission and failure to do military service. FIFA backed them and imposed a one-year international ban. In January 1950 Kubala, with Ferdinand Daučík as coach, formed his own team Hungaria. The team was made up of fellow refugees fleeing Eastern Europe. In the summer of 1950 the team arrived in Spain to play a series of friendlies against a Madrid XI, a Spain XI and RCD Espanyol.

During these games, Kubala was spotted by both Real Madrid and Josep Samitier, then chief scout at FC Barcelona. Kubala was offered a contract by Real but was persuaded by Samitier to sign for FC Barcelona. It has been suggested that Samitier used his connections within the government of Franco to help arrange the transfer. In the midst of the Cold War, Kubala's escape to the West was used as propaganda by Franco's government and was made into a successful film The Stars Search for Peace which saw Kubala and Samitier playing themselves

A Tipsy Trip

Events surrounding Kubala’s signing are intriguing. It is believed that in 1950, while on a train with Kubala, Samitier deceived the intoxicated player into believing that he was heading for Madrid, when instead, he was Barcelona-bound! By the time Kubala reached his destination, he was sober and ready to negotiate. Whilst flashing Real Madrid’s drafted contract, he enticed Barcelona to match it. Barça exceeded his expectations – not only did they make him the highest-earning player in the club’s history, but Daučík would be coach. Some thought of the signing as trickery; others felt it was nifty business.

A Charming Mastermind

Kubala signed with Barcelona on June 15th 1950, but could not play until his FIFA ban was lifted the following year. In the interim, though, he was able to partake in friendlies.

Kubala, in his role as a modern attacking midfield playmaker, introduced innovative football techniques, fuelled with his enthralling tricks, defence-ripping through-balls and toxic shots. He was also one of the greatest free-kick specialists around. In Barca: A People’s Passion (reissued) by Jimmy Burns (Bloomsbury, 2009), Burns described the playmaker as someone who “brought a combination of skills that the club had until then rarely seen. He was quick on and off the ball, demonstrated extraordinary control when dribbling, showed an unrivalled vision and was always accurate in shooting and deadfalls.” Above all this, “it was around Kubala’s charisma and footballing skills that Barça overcame its post-war loss of confidence and shattered organisation, developing one of its strongest and most successful teams.”

Kubala’s arrival at Barça saw the historic event of the so-called ‘Equipo de las Cinco Copas’ (‘Team of the Five Cups’), during which 5 trophies were acquired in the ’51-’52 season: Spanish League, Copa del Generalísimo, Copa Eva Duarte, Latin Cup and the Copa Martini Rossi. That season saw him net 26 goals in 19 games, which included 7 goals against Sporting de Gijón in a 9-0 victory, 5 against Celta de Vigo, and 2 hat-tricks!

Enter…‘Kubalamania’!

Kubala was absent for most of the 1952-’53 season after falling prey to tuberculosis, which threatened his playing career. However, after an extraordinary recovery, he returned to the Blaugrana team, assisting with their continuous charge for silverware.

During this period of immense success, the Barcelona grounds of Les Corts, which had an eventual capacity of 60,000 spectators, could no longer satisfy the demands of ‘Kubalamania’. As fans poured into the stadium, Barça was outgrowing it. The Hungarian’s arrival was deemed to be the motivating factor behind the Camp Nou coming into existence. After 3 years in the making, the Camp Nou was inaugurated on the 24th September 1957, with an initial capacity of 80,000 spectators. As Kubala’s allure thrived, so too did Barça’s supremacy.

Wrestling with Power Trips

By the time the Argentine coach, Helenio Herrera, was appointed as Barcelona’s manager in 1958, Kubala was king of Barcelona. When it came to his players, Herrera was known to implement stringent disciplinary rules, like drinking and smoking were forbidden and their diets were controlled. While at Inter, he once even suspended a player for saying to the media: “we came to play in Rome” instead of: “we came to win in Rome”!

Kubala, having lost favour with his coach, was soon dropped to the bench. As you can imagine, this player-coach conflict caused much pandemonium among the fans, with many a newspaper headline describing this as ‘the Angelillo problem’. (Angelillo was one of Herrera’s ex-players who experienced similar conflicts with him.)

Case in point, upon the team’s return after a European trip, as Kubala was asked by a customs official where the two bottles of whiskey were, which he himself had declared, Kubala just pointed to his stomach saying, “Do you want to take an X-ray?” An authoritarian like Herrera was never going to put up with such behaviour. Once, after an alleged quarrel between them, the Hungarian was punished by being dropped for the crucial 1960 European Cup semi-finals against Real Madrid. Barça lost 6-2 on aggregate, and the outcome…Herrera was sent packing.

Back in Full Swing!

With Kubala re-instated in the team, Barça managed to retain both the Fairs Cup and their league title. The Blaugrana also became the first team to knock Real Madrid out of the European Cup competition in 1961. A competition which Los Blancos had dominated in a run of 5 consecutive trophies! Barça did end up losing the final to Benfica in a cracking match which ended 3-2. This was to mark Kubala’s farewell from the club.

The Hungarian’s decade at the club (1951-’61), in which he played 329 games and scored 256 goals, resulted in: 4 league titles; 5 Copa del Generalísimo, 2 Inter-Cities Fairs Cups; 2 Copa Eva Duarte; and a Latin Cup. And the cherry on the cake…a tally of 14 hat-tricks!

In August of ’61, Kubala was honoured with a testimonial match against Stade de Reims. Real Madrid legends, Di Stéfano and Puskás, made heart-warming gestures by wearing the Blaugrana shirt in their friend’s honour. The resulting 4-2 win was a wonderful way of crowning his epoch at the club.

When Kubala had received his first cap to the Spanish national team in 1953, he had become the first player to have officially played for 3 different national teams: Hungary, Czechoslovakia and, later, Spain, as well as a Europe XI and the Catalan XI. After 8 years with La Roja, he had accumulated 19 caps and scored 11 goals. Kubala was regrettably denied the opportunity of exhibiting his immaculate skills on the biggest stage of all – high-profile international tournaments.

An Immortal Memory

After a long-term illness, Kubala died on the 17th May 2002 at the age of 74. As a tribute, a bronze sculpture created by Montserrat García was placed outside the Camp Nou’s entrance in 2009. Garcia had said, “I don’t want people just to look at this and say: ‘That’s a statue of a footballer.’ I want them to look at it and say: ‘That’s Kubala.’”

At the 10th anniversary of Kubala’s passing, a floral offering was made by FC Barcelona at Kubala’s statue. Club President, Rosell highlighted the significant motives as to why the Hungarian is affectionately remembered: “the Camp Nou – it was him who made the Les Corts too small for all our fans – his generosity and the universal admiration he inspired”. “Everyone spoke well of him – he was a Barça legend and thanks to him Barça took a gigantic step forward. We will come together to remember him whenever we can because it’s down to people like him that this is one of the most important clubs in the world”.

He was voted as the best Barça player of all-time by the fans in the club’s centenary year in 1999.