The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nope. A reason why we didn't give Ali Dia out last time. It must be someone mediocre and a very hard sell in a match. Not an outright joke.
Could take different approaches to this. If the mediocrity is too good - so to speak - it becomes unfair on those who avoided a sheep. If he's a no-mark who can do a job - then he CAN do a job.

In my opinion it's both more fun and more in the spirit of the thing if the sheep is actually a pretty shite player. You then have to work around having a pretty shite player in your squad/team - which should be part of the challenge.

Of course, this only works properly if there's quite a few sheep about - that is, a fair amount of the managers have to struggle with this.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Could take different approaches to this. If the mediocrity is too good - so to speak - it becomes unfair on those who avoided a sheep. If he's a no-mark who can do a job - then he CAN do a job.
We already have given a 'CAN do a job list' to Skizzo. I presume he will randomly allocate that in future. Add in a joke player to that and it'll be a sure 1st round loss. No point being in the draft after that.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
In terms if who will set the pool of sheep, I was hoping that @Skizzo would go with an outside party to set the pool rather than the competing managers. I feel like that is the fairest way to approach this?
Me, me, me!

BTW @Chesterlestreet you shouldn't have rubbished Grant, it was fun to watch mazhar squirm.

Re: the FIG (fantastic intl gk) it's a good call particularly to feck various managers in later rounds, but keepers are usually a great source of flexibility. E.g. two players from a European final, you can get almost anyone along with a decent enough keeper.

Annahnomoss

It might be good to have a sheep that is of course crap, but one that you have some connection with or could do a job of selling.
Nope. A reason why we didn't give Ali Dia out last time. It must be someone mediocre and a very hard sell in a match. Not an outright joke.
Even last time they were way too bad in general. It should be a player with comical value but who isn't an instant loss if he plays. I was in that situation last time and playing the match is absolutely pointless at that stage. The draft is fun with sheep being a as bad as possible, but there has to be a balance between that and the matches.

antohan

We already have given a 'CAN do a job list' to Skizzo. I presume he will randomly allocate that in future. Add in a joke player to that and it'll be a sure 1st round loss. No point being in the draft after that.
But you will all get a can do a job guy and, by the looks of it, most of you will have a sheep. Cancels out.

1st round results

Skizzo

ROUND 1, STAGE 1 RESULTS

Annahnomoss - Fail (Di Stefano)
Stobzilla - Fail (Di Stefano)

NoPace -PASS (Nils Liedholm)
MJJ - Fail (Di Stefano)
MDFC Manager - Fail (Cruyff)
Raees - Fail (Di Stefano)
Harms - Fail (Di Stefano)
JogaBonito - Fail (Rijkaard)
Edgar Allan Pillow - Fail (Rijkaard)
VivaJanuzaj - Fail (Beckenbauer)
BorisDeLaFora - Fail - (Rijkaard)

KPS88 - PASS - (Dino Zoff)
Cutch - Fail (Cruyff)
NM - PASS - (Puskas)
Sajeev - Fail (Di Stefano)
Kazi - Fail (Beckenbauer)

ROUND 1, STAGE 2 RESULTS

MJJ - Fail (player already picked - Zoff)
Harms - Fail (player already picked - Zoff)
Raees - Fail (player already picked - Puskas)

Stobzilla - PASS (Stankovic)
Joga Bonito - Fail (Haan)
Annahnomoss - Fail (player already picked - Puskas)
MDFC Manager - Fail (player already picked - Puskas)
Edgar Allan Pillow - Fail (Sammer)
Kazi - Fail (player already picked - Zoff)
VivaJanuzaj - Fail (Sammer)
Sajeev - Fail (Haan)
BorisDeLaFora - Fail (Sammer)
Cutch - Fail (player already picked - Zoff)

ROUND 1, STAGE 3 RESULTS

Harms - PASS - (Hidegkuti)

Edgar Allan Pillow - Fail (Player already picked - Zoff)
Cutch - Fail - (Vialli)
Annahnomoss - PASS - (Guardiola)
Joga Bonito - Fail - (Zebec)
VivaJanuzaj - PASS - (Ancelotti)
Sajeev - Fail - (Zebec)
BorisDeLaFora - Fail - (Player already picked - Zoff)
MJJ - Fail - (Vialli)
Kazi - Fail - (Player already picked - Stankovic)
MDFC Manager - Fail - (Deschamps)

Raees - Fail - (Deschamps)

Players needing a sheep - 9
Edgar Allan Pillow
Cutch
Joga Bonito
Sajeev
BorisDeLaFora
MJJ
Kazi
MDFC Manager
Raees

PLAYER BLOCK LIST

Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Rijkaard, Sammer, Haan, Zebec, Vialli, Deschamps

Last edited:

antohan

So my last ditch salvage attempt is not working :lol:
I don't think it should be considered. You can't go around changing picks after that goalie discussion. In fact, that exchange was far more gamebreaking than my alluding to a certain GOAT.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In fairness, this all depends on how tricky the upcoming rounds are. If the overall intention of the draft master is to make it hard as hell, you could easily get plenty of teams with sheep as you enter the match stage. And then it becomes a matter of luck whether you draw a sheepless team or not - and it's always a matter of luck whether you draw an obviously superior opponent.

Depending on the overall drafting it's not impossible to get away with fielding a shite player. I agree that if the latter automatically means you might as well not show up for the match, then it's pointless - but then, if this is the case, there's something wrong with the draft itself, i.e. the level of difficulty, the size of the available pool in each round, etc.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Zoff is the most picked player of the round :eek:

I don't think it should be considered. You can't go around changing picks after that goalie discussion. In fact, that exchange was far more gamebreaking than my alluding to a certain GOAT.
No. I didn't submit any change of picks. That would be nonsense.
By salvage attempt, I meant my arguments for a halfway decent sheep!

NM

Seriously, who watched football in the 1940s :(

Can't believe Liedholm went in round one. And a certain Argentinian wasn't even picked.
I was very close to going for Liedholm as a "safe" round 1 pick. It was him, Zoff or Puskas.

2nd round criteria

Skizzo

ROUND 2 CRITERIA

Select two players who were carded (red or yellow) in the same match at the World Cup.

If one of your players goes through, but the other is blocked, then you must keep the original player, but select another player booked from that match. If no other players are booked from that match, then you must select a played booked from that same round of matches. Any World Cup year counts. Finals only, no WC Qualifiers.

When you PM your picks, send me the match(es) you are referring to.

Deadline will now be 24 hours, set at 6pm GMT on January 7th.

PLAYER BLOCK LIST
Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Rijkaard, Sammer, Haan, Zebec, Vialli, Deschamps

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
ROUND 2 CRITERIA

Select two players who were carded (red or yellow) in the same match at the World Cup.

If one of your players goes through, but the other is blocked, then you must keep the original player, but select another player booked from that match. If no other players are booked from that match, then you must select a played booked from that same round of matches. Any World Cup year counts. Finals only, no WC Qualifiers.

When you PM your picks, send me the match(es) you are referring to.

Deadline will now be 24 hours, set at 6pm GMT on January 7th.

PLAYER BLOCK LIST
You don't make it easy at all. Hell of a criteria. So much research needed.

Kazi

I was very close to going for Liedholm as a "safe" round 1 pick. It was him, Zoff or Puskas.
I was certain Puskas and Zoff had gone in round 1. Thought it'd be one of those recent defensive midfielders that'd make up the threesome.